• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things to Avoid if you have a Pacemaker?

UpNorthG'ma

Earning My Ears
My Mom and I are going to Disney for a week next month and I'm wondering what rides/attractions she should avoid since she has a pacemaker.

I don't mean the obvious ones like Tower of Terror or roller coasters but are there others that should be avoided?

I definitely want to do Stitch's ride, and I know she went on that when it was Alien Encounter but it was before she had the pacemaker. Can she still do that one, or should she avoid it?

Do they have signs at the attractions saying stuff like people with heart conditions, pregnant women, etc. shouldn't ride?

Do they have signs at the attractions saying stuff like people with heart conditions, pregnant women, etc. shouldn't ride?

Absolutely! There are signs at every attraction.
I would say definitely not to ride Dinosaur at DAK and Mission:Space, orange team, at Epcot. The green team should be fine.

Absolutely! There are signs at every attraction.
I would say definitely not to ride Dinosaur at DAK and Mission:Space, orange team, at Epcot. The green team should be fine.

Thank you, Eljay.

What is bad about the Dinosaur ride at AK? I remember riding that the last time I was there (8 years ago) and I'm thinking it wasn't that bad, not like a roller coaster would be. But maybe I'm not remembering it right?

Stitch should be just fine. The attraction does not move - it's basically just a show that has you strapped in. I can't see where it would cause a problem.

Avoid the "magical microwave ride"!

Just kidding. You should check out deb wills' allears.net. They have a complete section on handicapped and different conditioned folks. She has even written a wdw travel guide with all the information in it.

Good luck.

There is not that much specific information on allearsnet or anywhere else about Pacemakers at WDW. Long ago, the official Guidebooks for Guests with Disabilities listed certain attractions as not being recommended for guests with pacemakers. That information was removed from their publications at least 10 yrs ago. As a nurse, I know that less things are considered risky to pacemakers than were that long ago. You should probably check with your doctor or the manufacturer of your particular pacemaker.

Here are links to a couple of discussion threads from the disABILITIES Board:
Electromagnets and WDW
G forces on Roller Coasters
Pacemakers at WDW

The general warning says:
Warning! For safery, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggrevated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.
You can look at the park maps for the attractions with warnings - they are marked with a red triangle on the map and also on a sign at the entrance to the queue.
For Epcot here are the attractions with warnings:
  • Mission Space has the same warning for both the more tame (green side) and the more wild (orange side). ONLY the ORANGE side spins.
  • Test Track
For Magic Kingdom:
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Tomorrowland Indy Speedway
  • Space Mountain
  • Goofy's Barnstormer (this doesn't have a triangle warning sign on the map, but does say that pregnant women should not ride, so it's not totally tame.)
  • Stitch's Great Escape has only a warning that it might be scary to young children.
For Disney Studio
  • Star Tours
  • Rock N Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
For Animal Kingdom:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Dinosaur

I did a search on the allearsnet.com site and nothing comes up for "Pacemaker".
I have the first edition of the Passporter book for Special Needs, written by Deb (I believe the publication date was 2005). The only things it says about Pacemakers is to check with your doctor, check the attractions for warnings and possibly ask to be hand checked at the airport rather than go thru the scanner (I would suggest checking with your doctor on whether that is necessary for you and also carry some ID that says you have a pacemaker that you can show if you want to be hand checked).
The newest edition of the Passporter book is called "Open Mouse". I don't have a copy of that; you could check in a library or bookstore. My guess is that it probably says no more than the first edition since there is very little information out there.

She needs to discuss it with her doctor. I have had a pacemaker since I was 13 and do all the rides. The reasons pacemakers are needed vary and her doctor is the only one who can give advice you can trust. I would hate for her to miss out on something she really wants to do if it is not a problem. Have a nice trip

She needs to discuss it with her doctor. I have had a pacemaker since I was 13 and do all the rides. The reasons pacemakers are needed vary and her doctor is the only one who can give advice you can trust. I would hate for her to miss out on something she really wants to do if it is not a problem. Have a nice trip

I agree, I think it's going to depend more on why the pacer is needed and how she uses it- 100% paced vs a few beats daily vs implanted defib.

I would also suggest she go to the doctor prepared with information about the attractions. Some of the attractions that have a general warning (like the Safari) might be very low to no risk for her because it is basically a bumpy Jeep ride. A ride like Tower of Terror might not be recommended for her. Not all the attractions with the same warning are the same type of attraction. If she has good information, her doctor can give better advice.

I agree you need to discuss this with your doctor. I have two heart conditions and yet I go on all of the rides. My husband has high blood pressure and he also goes on all of the rides. However, I wouldn't suggest others do this without clearing it with their physicians first. The warnings are to cover Disneys' backside first and us second. Each of us needs to know what our health limitations are and the best way to do that is to discuss what we will be doing with our cardiologist (if we have a heart condition).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter