Things not to miss out on???

ashbradnmom

Mouseketeer
Hi all!! We have a trip to DL planned for late September. We are going with DD9 and DS6. We have been to WDW twice and love it. What things are a must do at DL?? Thanks for any help!:love:

The easy answer is: As many things as you have time for! That list is huge! How many days are going?

I will tell you one overlooked area is the animation building in DCA. There you can see the Toy Story zoetrope and learn how to draw Disney characters, among other things.

Just keep reading these boards and you will pick up a lot of tips.

I have never been in the animation building!

I would say if you've been to WDW you'd LOVE to see the differences on the rides that are in both parks. I hear it's fun to compare :)

If you want a unique dining exp I'd recommend the Blue bayou. It's $$$$ and sometimes hit or miss (or so I hear..it was great when we went) but it's amazing to eat in the atmosphere of Pirates of the Caribbean :)

Another vote for Blue Bayou...true, the food can be hit-or-miss (though, I've not had a bad meal there in about 5 years) but the atmosphere is unbeatable.

There are some rides I'd deem "must-see" based on the fact that they're not also at WDW: the Matterhorn is the one that sticks out in my mind, but I know there are others.

Another vote for Blue Bayou...true, the food can be hit-or-miss (though, I've not had a bad meal there in about 5 years) but the atmosphere is unbeatable.

There are some rides I'd deem "must-see" based on the fact that they're not also at WDW: the Matterhorn is the one that sticks out in my mind, but I know there are others.

Screamin in DCA comes to mind too.

Hi all!! We have a trip to DL planned for late September. We are going with DD9 and DS6. We have been to WDW twice and love it. What things are a must do at DL?? Thanks for any help!:love:
  • World of Color
  • Indiana Jones
  • World of Color
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats
  • World of Color
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • World of Color
  • Indiana Jones
  • Animation Studios (at DCA)
  • World of Color
  • Aladdin Show at DCA
  • World of Color
  • California Screamin
  • World of Color
  • Space Mountain (much better at DL)
  • World of Color
  • POTC (much better at DL)
  • World of Color
  • Indiana Jones
And don't miss World of Color! Or Indiana Jones! ;)

Well, since you will be making a late September visit, this means you will be at DLR right smack dab in the middle of Halloween Time!!:dancer:

(Sadly, POTC will be closed, so you won't get to experience that.)

But this means you will not want to miss the seasonal Disneyland-specific highlights:

Haunted Mansion Holiday

Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy

The Halloween Round-Up in Frontierland (full of wonderful, detailed, intricate carved character pumpkins, some of which are only there for a week or two at a time and then are replaced!)

The Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) display in Frontierland

The Ray Bradbury Halloween Tree in Frontierland (not that impressive in the daytime, but at night it's cool!)

The Villains photo spot in Fantasyland (near It's a Small World - the Villains rotate so you can never be sure exactly who you will get)

:dancer::dancer::dancer:

I don't think you would miss these, but all along Main Street and around the Partners statue, there will be pumpkins everywhere! There will be charming Halloween window displays and Fall-colored flowers and plants.

Be sure to grab a gingerbread cookie with mouse ears (sold in any of the candy shops around DLR, and a couple of the bake shops). If you like pumpkin, there are various pumpkin muffins, cupcakes, cookies and hot drinks available. There is also the popular pumpkin fudge! Cafe Orleans sells gingerbread beignets and other Halloween-oriented desserts!

Mickey's Halloween Party is an option for you if you happen to be in the parks on 9/30. Halloween Screams - a party exclusive - is an awesome fireworks show!

Join us in the Halloween at DLR Superthread - and check out Page 1, Posts #1 & 2, for lots of Halloween information, links and photos!!

Be sure to grab a gingerbread cookie with mouse ears (sold in any of the candy shops around DLR, and a couple of the bake shops). If you like pumpkin, there are various pumpkin muffins, cupcakes, cookies and hot drinks available. There is also the popular pumpkin fudge! Cafe Orleans sells gingerbread beignets and other Halloween-oriented desserts!

Pumpkin Fudge? :yay: Sherry you just made my day! I might have a new favorite fall time treat...look out pumpkin muffin. :)

Pumpkin Fudge? :yay: Sherry you just made my day! I might have a new favorite fall time treat...look out pumpkin muffin. :)

E ticket:

- Screamin'
- Indy
- A superior SM

D ticket:

- Matterhorn (is it being refurbed?)
- IASW (yes it annoys, but so pretty at DLR)
- Monsters
- Griz Rapids
- Pirates (is it being refurbed?)
- A better Buzz (BLAB)

& very cool C ticket rides:

- Storybookland
- Alice
- Toady
- Pinocchio
- Tiki Room
- Casey Jr.
- Heimlich's Chew Chew train.

Corny Dogs. :thumbsup2 Churros :cool1: Cookies from Pooh Corner. :hippie:

Have a great time at Walt's Park.

:cool2:

Your post caught my eye.

So, do you think that if Disneyland had kept the individual attraction tickets some rides would have been downgraded from E to D tickets?

"Back in the Day" Matterhorn and It's a Small World (and I 'think' Tiki Room) were considered E tickets, and Storybook was considered a D ticket).

Just wonderin' :)

E ticket:

- Screamin'
- Indy
- A superior SM

D ticket:

- Matterhorn (is it being refurbed?)
- IASW (yes it annoys, but so pretty at DLR)
- Monsters
- Griz Rapids
- Pirates (is it being refurbed?)
- A better Buzz (BLAB)

& very cool C ticket rides:

- Storybookland
- Alice
- Toady
- Pinocchio
- Tiki Room
- Casey Jr.
- Heimlich's Chew Chew train.

Corny Dogs. :thumbsup2 Churros :cool1: Cookies from Pooh Corner. :hippie:

Have a great time at Walt's Park.

:cool2:

Your post caught my eye.

So, do you think that if Disneyland had kept the individual attraction tickets some rides would have been downgraded from E to D tickets?

"Back in the Day" Matterhorn and It's a Small World (and I 'think' Tiki Room) were considered E tickets, and Storybook was considered a D ticket).

Just wonderin' :)

Excellent points Mary Jo. :thumbsup2

I also visited DL when Matterhorn & IASW were "E" tickets. (& remember when Pirate's was put in. :))

Yes, I put my own "letters" on the rides.....downgrading the rides based on current popularity (but not on quality). I actually love Storybookland, Alice, Toady & Pinocchio & think they are "do not miss" for the WDW veteran.... (but would classify them all as C ticket based on today's standards.)

Note - I'm guessing that 2 years ago, Nemo would have been an "E" ticket. Now it's probably a "D" ticket. In two years i doubt it will be more than a "C" ticket.

:)

Caseystigger -

Yes! Pumpkin fudge!!:cool1: I have not personally tried it and I have read mixed reviews on it. I can't recall who it was but another DIS'er said it was on the waxy side and didn't taste particularly fresh. But others enjoyed it. Some said that between the pumpkin fudge and the peppermint fudge (which is out during the holiday season), they preferred the peppermint.

I guess you'll have to try the pumpkin fudge yourself to see if you like it!;)

In addition to the pumpkin raisin muffin (with the Mickey jack-o-lantern stuck in the top), the pumpkin cupcake, the pumpkin-shaped cookies, the pumpkin fudge and pumpkin lattes, there is pumpkin-shaped bread at the bakery in DCA, there's also a pumpkin demitasse dessert served in a Mickey pumpkin mug (one version features pumpkin mousse on top of a mini-muffin, and I can't recall what the second version of the demitasse was) and, of course, pumpkin pie served at Plaza Inn, Carnation Cafe and maybe one or two other places. (Now I am beginning to sound like Bubba in "Forrest Gump," with his million ways to prepare shrimp!:rotfl2:)

Then there's a coffin dessert served at Rancho del Zocalo and - if it's still there - the Jack Skellington cheesecake thingy at Cafe Orleans.

Caseystigger -

Yes! Pumpkin fudge!!:cool1: I have not personally tried it and I have read mixed reviews on it. I can't recall who it was but another DIS'er said it was on the waxy side and didn't taste particularly fresh. But others enjoyed it. Some said that between the pumpkin fudge and the peppermint fudge (which is out during the holiday season), they preferred the peppermint.

I guess you'll have to try the pumpkin fudge yourself to see if you like it!;)

In addition to the pumpkin raisin muffin (with the Mickey jack-o-lantern stuck in the top), the pumpkin cupcake, the pumpkin-shaped cookies, the pumpkin fudge and pumpkin lattes, there is pumpkin-shaped bread at the bakery in DCA, there's also a pumpkin demitasse dessert served in a Mickey pumpkin mug (one version features pumpkin mousse on top of a mini-muffin, and I can't recall what the second version of the demitasse was) and, of course, pumpkin pie served at Plaza Inn, Carnation Cafe and maybe one or two other places. (Now I am beginning to sound like Bubba in "Forrest Gump," with his million ways to prepare shrimp!:rotfl2:)

Then there's a coffin dessert served at Rancho del Zocalo and - if it's still there - the Jack Skellington cheesecake thingy at Cafe Orleans.

:rotfl2: Pumpkin shrimp....

Thanks for the info on the fudge...will have to take one for the team and try it. :) Wish I was going at the holiday's to try the peppermint. Is that something you can call and order and have shipped?

I remember hearing about the coffin dessert will need to check that out too. I love dessert so this could be good but bad for my waist. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter