Things I would do differently:

Oscar T. Grouch

Earning My Ears
Having just come back I thought I would share....

I would have gotten a stroller that we could take right from the hotel to the park and back. Not one that you could only use in the park. Re-examine what "walking distance" to the gates means.

Monitor heat, and water intake more closely.

Take a sleep mask, for when the kids are up early.

My feet killed me, totally killed me. I have never had feet issues but walking really did them in. I ended up buying crocs for the kids, and Disney crocs for myself during the trip. I was so glad I had lost 30 pounds prior to going.

Just thought I would share.

I hear everything you are saying... after 4 days, my feet hurt all the way to my hips... and I never have sore feet. I didn't bring a stroller, didn't want to bother, and ended up carrying my 30 lb dd everywhere... so add to my sore feet, sore arms and shoulders from hauling 30 lbs. The DLH is a great on-site hotel... but that 7 minute walk to the gates, and another 7 minutes to get through mainstreet to whatever ride dd wanted to go on is a long walk! GCH for me next time... and did I mention a stroller? My own stroller!

Also, no more getting up from nap, going to the park, and then leaving the park for a PS dinner that wasn't in the park. All our dinner PSs will be in the park we plan on being in post-nap. No relying on grabbing some quick counter-service item for dinner either. The one night we tried that, EVERY counter-service line was a 1/2 hour or more... and we ended up at Hungry Bear... 35 minutes later had our burgers... and only a dirty table to sit at. Uugh!

But even with all that... I sure can't wait to go back in 3 months!

Oscar, where did you stay that may have not been "walking distance"? Also, what were crowds like on Tues. thru Thurs, 12-14th. I am curious if the CHA convention impacted the parks?

I always try to caution people about offsite hotels that say they are walking distance, across the street or adjacent to the park. They'll claim they are adjacent even if they are next to the far end of the parking lots. That's totally misleading.

Yes Crocs are ugly, but I won't wear anything else in the parks now. My feet don't bother me at all anymore.

we stayed at the Camelot at 1520 Harbor. You walk out the long line where all the buses and stuff are, then take a left, and it is up about four hotels. So from the gates it is quite a trek for a 4 year old. It is right across from the park, and it is within walking distance, but I did not know about that huge line where all the other buses stop.

CHA impacted the airport I think when we flew in, I ran into a few people I knew from the scrapbooking industry. However the parks were quiet all except the 15th. And that was a Friday of a long weekend. I do not think CHA impacted at all, and also the NHRA drag races were on that weekend, ran into quite a few racer families there.

I only wear crocs to DL now too. Before that my feet would just kill me! I agree with got2travel on some of the walking distances. Some of those are such long walks, very misleading.

we stayed at the Camelot at 1520 Harbor. You walk out the long line where all the buses and stuff are, then take a left, and it is up about four hotels. So from the gates it is quite a trek for a 4 year old. It is right across from the park, and it is within walking distance, but I did not know about that huge line where all the other buses stop.

I'm afraid that there is nothing that is really much closer, BWPPI is the closest of the offsite hotels whilst the GCH is the closest on site hotel. DL Hotel and PP are both further away than camelot, GCH is about the same distance away as BWPPI.

There's walking distance for a grownup (or teen), then there's walking distance for a grown up carrying a 35 pound 3 year old who will otherwise just stand there and sob b/c his legs hurt so much from running around all day.

:)

For feet, I find that variety is the best. So I bring my running shoes and my crocs, and when wearing my crocs I start with socks (gasp) if it's chilly, then take them off later (with my feet the socks start rubbing the bottom of my feet with the croc nubs, and that starts to hurt).

Monitoring water intake is HUGE. Our trip in September was fun, but would have been infinitely better if I hadn't cheap'd our way out of buying sufficient water! (and you don't even have to buy water, you can get a cup of water anywhere for free)

I go every two to three weeks and my feet hurt on a two day trip. I wear running shoes usually but this year I got a pair of Heely's. I recommend them highly, lol. They are loads of fun down hills and in line. Not so great when it is really crowded or where the pavement is bumpy. I did get in trouble once so far skating out of Buzz Lightyear.

I go every two to three weeks and my feet hurt on a two day trip. I wear running shoes usually but this year I got a pair of Heely's. I recommend them highly, lol. They are loads of fun down hills and in line. Not so great when it is really crowded or where the pavement is bumpy. I did get in trouble once so far skating out of Buzz Lightyear.

:eek: :scared:

popcorn:: :scared1: popcorn::
Heelies are a big NO NO at DL. I am surprised a CM did not catch you to let you know.:sad2:

popcorn:: :scared1: popcorn::
Heelies are a big NO NO at DL. I am surprised a CM did not catch you to let you know.:sad2:

I saw a CM talk to a boy recently with his Heelys. I nudged my DD, since I'm a teacher and have to ask students at the school sometimes to please take their wheels out. See? DL wants everyone to be safe all the time too...:laughing:

Not that I don't think as an adult you use Heelys responsibly! Just that most kids can't/won't, and can injure a young one who steps out in front of them unexpectedly.

I didn't know you could remove the heels. Wish they had those when I was young(er).

I agree about hurting feet. When we do spend the whole day at Disneyland & go commando style, my feet kill me the next day.

I know people love Crocs, but do they really help that much?

I think Crocs are only good if you have wide or flat feet. My Mom bought a pair after me raving and with her arch it just didn't work for her. I've heard that from a few people now. I have wide flat Donald Duck feet, so that extra room is just dreamy for me! LOL

last time we went, my feet hurt so bad! By the third day or so, they swelled up even! I was wearing sneakers some times, and sandals other times. the sandals are what did me in, and not enough water. (We went in August) I didn't own Crocs at that time, but I am soooo bringing them this time! My dd has open-toed crocs, and I think I will be buying my boys some this time, too. I will have to work on dh, to see if he will cave and wear some, too.

I love my Crocs, I have average feet with strong arches and they really help my back. I wear them with cool max ankle socks. You hardly notice the socks. I carry a small zip lock bag and put my socks and phone in that when I go on a water ride.

Things I would do different.

On summer days I would always wear my wide brimed straw hat. The first day I was in such a rush to get to the park I didn't wear it, what a big mistake.

Buy my snacks and soda out side the park at a grocery store. It wasn't the price of the meals that killed me, it was the cost of snacks and soda. :scared1:

I think Crocs are only good if you have wide or flat feet. My Mom bought a pair after me raving and with her arch it just didn't work for her. I've heard that from a few people now. I have wide flat Donald Duck feet, so that extra room is just dreamy for me! LOL

I think you're on to something there. I have a high arch and crocs don't feel any different than running shoes to me, but dh has very flat feet and swears by the crocs for DL. I wore ugg slippers in the park and my feet didn't hurt at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter