Things I learned on my 1st Disney Cruise

1. You can't do it all

3. 7 days goes by way to fast

Absolutely, I wouldn't do less than 7 days. We're booked on B2B 3 & 4 to make 7.

5. Not all kids wake up and ask to go to the kids club.

Our DGS, 7, loved the club & unlike the OP he never wore out. I certainly did though.

13. The lines for character's was far longer than I expected.

I agree but feel this is because they take time with each child to get an autograph & good photo. I actually stood in line for most autographs for my DGS while he was at the club.

My added tip is to take advantage of room service. We ordered juice, cheese tray & cookies each night after club for a bedtime snack while my DGS wound down.

Last tip: Enjoy & make the most out of the experience. Don't let small things ruin it for you.

Great Post!!!

I have to add...

Our DD (8) had the Club page us when she was coming back to the room, this way we knew when to head back there to get her.

Don't be in such a rush to get off of the ship to get home unless you have an earlier flight. Enjoy breakfast and the last bit of time on the ship

Our DD (8) loved the kids club, we had to bribe her at times to spend time with the family! LOL

Don't over book yourself with so much, relax and enjoy the cruise!

Verandahs are SOOOO worth the money. Coffee early in the AM watching the sun rise, etc

Order a coffee at night for the AM, it stays hot. USE room service, and your little beverage cooler!

Thanks for all these great tips. I will be going on my first disney cruise so every little bit helps as I've never been on a cruise period.
I'm still doing a lot of reading as there are lots of questions to be answered.

Here's my biggie that I learned after my first DCL
Take the time to unpack and organize yourself. You will save so much time later on if you do it first thing, and I do mean after you check your ressies for Palo, etc.
You wont have to spend time looking for that sock or other pair of shorts!
The Mickey pool will still be there even if you take that time!
And ENJOY it!!:goodvibes

We went on our 1st Disney Cruise earlier this month. Here are some of my comments/additions.

Someone talked about the laudromats. :laundy: It wasn't empty for me on CC day afternoon. We came back early because were tired and I went to try to do laundry and it was packed. I was late getting my suitcases out that night becuase everyone was trying to clean before they left. On the magic, deck 6 & 7 have the larger laundry facilities.

I agree 100% about the character lines being long. Ok, don't get me wrong, they aren't like the parks...:scared: but they were long. Often I would have my husband wait in one line while I waited in the other line and we would switch off my daughter in whichever line was shorter. However, they do spend quality time with the children and the princesses even remembered my daughter's name, so I was highly impressed with that. The till we meet again meeting was nice, but would have like it to be twice as long. You have so many characters to see one last time and such a short amount of time to do it.

The kids clubs are amazing. I understand that not every child likes them, but personally my daughter loved it. She still talks about the club :cheer2: The staff is amazing and they treat the children so well. My daughter has a special need and they adjusted to her so well I felt so comfortable leaving her there.

Enjoy the cruise....there is lots to do...if you are even thinking you want to do another cruise down the road, look into the cruises at home so you can book onboard and get a discount. You can always change your mind later, but this way you'll have an idea...

Wishing I was there again already:cloud9:

This is a great post! I can't wait for our DCL cruise - come on July 2! :upsidedow

I hate to have to ask, but...
What is a DOD?

Thanks for these tips. I will absolutely bring dryer sheets. But I am not familiar with the pop-up hamper; can you provide a picture or a link?

I found our pop up hamper at Target in the laundry area. It is just a plain blue one. They have several listed on their website starting at $9.99.

I found our pop up hamper at Target in the laundry area. It is just a plain blue one. They have several listed on their website starting at $9.99.[/QUOTE]

I got my hamper bag at the dollar store:cool1:

Just got off our first cruise (WONDER) this morning. I would add the following:

1. Don't bust it to eat b'fast at the restaurant the last morning. We literally stressed ourselves out getting to Parrot Cay at 7 a.m. (we were 15 minutes late as our seating was at 6:45 a.m.!) and I found the food AT BEST to be bland. We felt rushed while eating probably the worst meal of the trip... just to go out and see lines after lines of families, many of them cranky and snapping at each other and other families. Next time we'll be heading straight to BBB for the continental breakfast, enjoy one last shipboard view and head out when we can.

2. Next time, we will also park at the port and not mess with the "free" shuttle. It really puts a dent in the ole vacation to have to negotiate all of the baggage and crowds, etc. when we can just go right to our car from the boat.

3. I have to echo the rainforest room thing - we bought the length of cruise pass and didn't use it once. they were nice enough to give us a refund!

4. Also - next time I will NOT buy the all-in-one pass for CC that includes snorkeling/bikes/stingray/floats. Unless you have been there, done it before - you will not be able to do it all. Just do the stingray thing, get one float and be done with it.

5. Unless your kids are 7 or older, do NOT do the Atlantis Beach Day. The waves are sooooo big, my 5 year old almost drowned in the crashing waves. The waves initially looked fine, then like 2 came in a row that were bigger than she was - the first one knocked her down and the second one came in before we could get to her... my 7 year old even had trouble standing in the undertow at times. The lifeguards were worthless and we were solicited for necklaces/braids/toys literally every 3 minutes. Just be careful if you choose to do this. We ended up sneaking in one of the pools (that we didn't have access to - again the life guard didn't care). I think it is worth it to go to Atlantis once, but if we did the cruise again we're not going back.

HTH

Leslie Ann

After my first cruise I learned

Pack light, you only need half of what you packed

Only took 3 pr shoes - yes ladies~ only 3 needed (dress shoes-neutral color, sandals/flipflops, tennis)

Winter time in your home state? Don't take or wear heavy coat -

When traveling from cold winter weather to FL Wear layers, shirt, sweatshirt, lightjacket. Clothes needed, but not packed. Gradually take off as you get near FL :woohoo:

Originally Posted by Pir8_at_heart

14. "Family event's" are not necessarly geared for young children.

Did you participate in the vegetable derby? Dh loved that one!

We missed that, part of the can't do it all tip. We did the animation and had a seven year old almost in tears because her Mickey Mouse didn't look right. Seems like coloring pages for kids while the older crowd learned to draw Mickey would be an easy fix

Quote:

17. The line for the desert buffet was gone 15 minutes after it started with lots of everything left. Go down a few minutes late and save yourself the wait time.

I have not found the former part (about the line) to be true. You were lucky.

We were one of the first groups in line, and by the time I finished the sampling of desserts on my plate there was no line to go back and get seconds of a few favorites.
Quote:

20. The tables being reserved around the pools were much more of a problem than the sun loungers

Wow, I never knew that! Same deal? People's stuff "holding" the table indefinitely?

Yes, and it seemed like more stuff. The loungers only had a towel left, which I had no problem moving. Chairs at tables were loaded with back packs and personal items. Never saw DCL clear these items either. I asked a head server for help locating a table at lunch near the mickey pool one day surrounded by empty tables that had been reserved. His solution was a table all the way aft on the ship.

TKS for the DOD tip!

I bought some magnetic hooks for the back of our door due to a "tip".

DITTO on packing too many clothes....LOL

We will let the kids do the Vegetable Derby due to another "tip".

I will have to disagree on the power strip. We could not have made it without ours.

Not sure if I will take the over-the-door hanger but I have it "just in case" I change my mind.

its the romantic escape at sea package:

stolen from mousesavers: ;)

Romantic Escape at Sea Add-on
Want to impress your significant other and add a little romance to your cruise? The "Romantic Escape at Sea" (REAS) add-on provides you with some nice extras for $359 per couple. It's available on any 3-, 4- or 7-night Disney Cruise, and on Land & Sea packages.
The REAS package includes:
Romantic gift amenity delivered to your stateroom (one per package, usually includes two one-size-fits-most robes, a bottle of champagne and chocolates)
Bottle of wine from the Premium Wine List (one night)
Tropical Rain Forest pass for two at the Vista Spa & Salon (length of cruise)
Priority seating at Palo (one dinner or brunch - package covers the usual nominal per-person fee)
Romance turndown service (one night)
Champagne breakfast in bed (one morning - this is a full breakfast, from a more extensive menu than the standard continental breakfast room service)

Thanks for the explanation... I am lol :lmao:as I think the romantic turn down would raise an eyebrow from my 7 year old.... ah, the days (or nights) of romance at sea may be a thing on hold at the moment!!

Thinking of all the overpacking many of us do....
I just bought on of those generic printed packing lists. I found it hilarious that on the bottom this quote was printed:
"Bring half as much as you think you need. And twice as much money."
AMEN! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

3.. 7 days goes by way to fast Yes it does!

13. The lines for character's was far longer than I expected.
I only went to a couple of these but, yes they are.

15. Unless you take a laptop, and use your cell phone on board, or have more than two Items to charge at a time, I saw no need for a power strip. I'm going
I'm going to disagree on this one. We used our alot for the hairdryer, DD hair staightener, my curling iron, to charge camcorder, etc.

17. The line for the desert buffet was gone 15 minutes after it started with lots of everything left. Go down a few minutes late and save yourself the wait time.
True, there was still alot left but I wanted to get pics of everything while it was still "picture perfect"!:goodvibes

18. There were signs at all ports indicating that caring food off the boat was against the law, even at CC. Saving a few bucks with room service sandwiches just didn't seem worth it.
Hmmmm..... didn't really take anything off the boat but don't really recall
seeing these signs....

*As far as the kids clubs .. my kids are little older but went to the Stack
everyday and loved it. They still keep in touch with some of the kids they
met there.

*The over-the-door hanger was great. It kept the bathroom area and the
desk/vanity area neat and free of clutter - loved it.

It may depend on the size of your party but the over the door shoe organizers are a must for us. We are a family of seven. We organize things like toothpaste, hair brushes, ponytails, sunscreen, body lotion, lanyards, all that "stuff" that everyone needs access to everyday in one visible place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter