• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Things DCL might be getting frustated about us DISers

My question is, How do you know a group of people are Disers?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My question is, How do you know a group of people are Disers?

Most of the well organized groups have custom lanyards, name badges, bracelets or even custom shirts. Lots of linked dining so most of the group members ares sitting at the same tables and/or area during each seating.

Just one clarification, the Ship of Fools group was on the Eastbound Repo cruise in August, 2005, not the Westbound. Our group did nothing other than have a large group photo in the atrium (about 200 people). We had no PJ parties, lines for pins, or anything mentioned that happened on other cruises.

Denise

We also have cruised together multiple times since then in smaller numbers, unknown and unseen by the masses. We also manage, even after all this time, to have an annual get together. These are some of my dearest friends and I have shared joys/ heartache and some amazing times with them. If that gets onlookers upset, :confused3 feel free to walk away or come up and join the conversation. BTW I still proudly display my SOF magnets on each cruise

To the orignal question. How does DCL feel about the DIS? I think if you ask one thousand different CM's you would probably get 999 different answers depending on the personality of individual castmember and the individual DISer who interaction with the CM prompted the opinion.

Just talked with the wife about the first Hawaii cruise and she remembered DIS groups saving seats and overcrowding areas making it difficult to get through. I will get flamed but the saving seats one cracks me up after seeing the threads I have. The funny thing is that I am oblivious as all I remember is the cool shirts everyone had.

Some cruise we will have to join a meet. The problem for me being an introvert large groups can be uncomfortable. My DM on the other hand would love it as she can and will talk to anyone.

What was awesome on the first Hawaii cruise was that someone added us to their FE, that random act of kindness made the cruise even more special.

Cgolf

Yes, the behavior I was referring to on my prior post that my friends witnessed was about the actions of the group when saving seats. I am fuzzy on the details they shared with me, because I wasn't there. I was sailing on the Dream and back home by the time the Hawaii folks were returning to CA. :rotfl2:

I wasn't in the large groups of DIS'rs and only lost my original account name due to my own error, but I have been around long enough to know all these groups, and I am sad that they acted in any way to impact any of our other cruises like mentioned, but I never noticed that at all.

I knew tangentially about the problems with these large meets groups, but like as said before about meeting some of your best friends through the DIS, some of my dearest friends I have now came from the DIS boards and some from cruise meets. I never cruised in the large popular DIS cruises, but we always would meet on the first day with the 70 or so of us, would identify ourselves with lime green wrist bands or other things, would do FEs, and I truly hope all of this continues because its really special and really fun.

I am really hoping that the resurrection of these incidents isn't what is causing such low numbers to sign up for the meet threads now. I have been amazed by how few people are checking in to my cruise date's meet - it's a holiday week!

I have always had great experiences with the CMs about the DIS! Always.

I find it so fun and nice to see people around on your cruise and be able to say hi!

Most of my cruises have been after 2005 and I have always had great experiences with the CMs and with the DIS groups! ::yes:::thumbsup2

slightly off topic:

having been to a cruise meet (not my favorite thing, I'll admit) I wonder how one makes lifelong and "best friends" with any of these people? I mean, unless they live very close 2 u, do you really become friends or just "facebook friends" where u share photos and such.....?

slightly off topic:

having been to a cruise meet (not my favorite thing, I'll admit) I wonder how one makes lifelong and "best friends" with any of these people? I mean, unless they live very close 2 u, do you really become friends or just "facebook friends" where u share photos and such.....?

In my experience we don't make friends "at" the cruise meet. It's more meeting in person a friend you've talked to everyday for months. Then extend through and after the cruise.

What happened in the video of the teenagers? :confused:

Well, it involved vandalism in the stateroom hallways, placement of certain items on door handles, food smeared on the walls, underage drinking, the two boys entering an elevator where a young girl was and they made her feel very uncomfortable. It also showed them walking through an elevator lobby on one of the decks where bins of luggage were unsupervised, but thankfully they didn't mess with any of that. Some of the videos showed them roaming the halls after midnight the last night of the cruise doing this.

In my experience we don't make friends "at" the cruise meet. It's more meeting in person a friend you've talked to everyday for months. Then extend through and after the cruise.

Exactly! DCL use to release dates almost 2 years prior to the cruise date for those looking for December cruises. We spent nearly 2 years posting and getting to know the people on our 2006 cruise and several of us have cruised together again and our kids are still friends.

slightly off topic:

Through our meet thread on our very first cruise (Dec 2009) we arranged to sit with 3 other families at dinner because we all had girls within 2 years of each other. We all hit it off really well and agreed to keep up with each other and try to cruise again together. A year later, we met up with one family at WDW and then a year later while we were vacationing near their home. Then we started planning a cruise together. Unfortunately, one family couldn't join us but three of us had our "reunion cruise" just this March. We all sat together again, 2 of us had connected staterooms, and we did some activities together. We celebrated birthdays as 3 of the kids had birthdays that week, 1 kid the week before, 1 kid the week after, and us 3 moms all had bdays 1-2 weeks before. As we expected, we once again had a lot of fun together. We always announce when we're going to WDW in hopes that we will see each other again soon. There's no doubt that we'll cruise again or visit WDW together.

So yes, you can make lifelong friends on cruises. Obviously you will have 3 loves in common: travel, cruises, and Disney and quite possibly even more. There's not too many people (non cruise friends and family) that share those 3 loves with us. So exciting that those people "get" us. And I have seen our cruise friends more often than high school friends.

And that's just one example. I have other friends I met on our PC cruise. We've met up at WDW with one and on a cruise with another. It wasn't planned that way but when we found out we were cruising together we made arrangements to meet up.

slightly off topic:

I found out two people lived right here in my city and very close to me. I always travel in my state's school vacation periods, which are different from other areas of the country, therefore, the likelihood is very good you will get people from your surrounding area cruising with you.

Then as said, you talk and talk and do pre-meets and voila.. friends! Good good friends with lots in common as also said.

I have also found close childhood friends here that I had lost touch with and we are now back together again!

My point is only that being a DISr is a good thing and should not be castigated and I have never had anyone say anything bad to me about it. But I am not someone who screams that I am one at the top of my lungs either. I don't have DIS magnets on my door, but I do do one magnet usually so I can find my way, and I don't do anything more than one meet because it's my family time on a cruise.

But really, the majority of people on the DIS are really great and just genuine good people.

I, a very long time ago was first a member of another chat board for Disney, and that was not such a good place. I have found for 10 years now that this is a community made up of good people who want to help and want to be helped.

I know Disney knows this also. They have not coopted the chat boards from the DIS even though they have thought about it, and tried, but this is the foremost place for information and they can not compete with that and know it.

slightly off topic:

Some of our very best friends are in VA, we are in MT. We are twin sisters born of different mothers, in different states, and our husbands are definitely brothers in their hearts. We met on the WBTA in 2010. We have sailed together (planned) on the Hawaii cruise and again this year on the PC. We have 3 more cruises booked together. We have met at WDW and gone to DL together after both Hawaii and PC. We are meeting them again in Oct at WDW. The bond is amazing. Not every connection is the same, some last for a period of time and then you realize that all you really have in common is a love of Disney. Those fade, leaving good memories. But, the few that do last are because you find people that are much like you. These friendships do take extra effort since they are long distance.

Some of our very best friends are in VA, we are in MT. We are twin sisters born of different mothers, in different states, and our husbands are definitely brothers in their hearts. We met on the WBTA in 2010. We have sailed together (planned) on the Hawaii cruise and again this year on the PC. We have 3 more cruises booked together. We have met at WDW and gone to DL together after both Hawaii and PC. We are meeting them again in Oct at WDW. The bond is amazing. Not every connection is the same, some last for a period of time and then you realize that all you really have in common is a love of Disney. Those fade, leaving good memories. But, the few that do last are because you find people that are much like you. These friendships do take extra effort since they are long distance.

And there are DISers, like you, that I "know" from the message boards, a few meetings on one cruise, a Christmas card; yet, still, I smile whenever I see your name on a post! That's a relationship that is hard to explain, but it exists!

Woo Hoo!!! Love to hear it ANgie!!!

And there are DISers, like you, that I "know" from the message boards, a few meetings on one cruise, a Christmas card; yet, still, I smile whenever I see your name on a post! That's a relationship that is hard to explain, but it exists!

:goodvibes:grouphug: It is and I love the DISboards for giving us that! :love:

Not our story, but the story of two families we met on our December 2010 Southern Caribbean cruise. At a group Palo brunch, there was a young engaged couple, as well as their parents. The engaged couple met many years earlier on a Disney cruise as teens, and kept in contact with each other. So it does happen if you happen to "click".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter