• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~ They're leaving the nest, sew it's time for a trip - or two - or three...~~ D~'s bag ~9/22 ~~

Welcome home. Sorry that Allison is so sick. Hopefully she feels better soon.
I can't wait to ras all about your trip. It looked like you were having fun in the pictures that you posted.
I'm getting getting to go to work today.
Have a great day.
Liz

Thanks Liz... She is doing a bit better - but not sure she is ready to go back to school yet?

I am so excited to share it! It was an amazing trip and a lot of fun!

I hope you had a great day at work. :D

I'm glad to hear that your trip was a big success but sorry to hear about poor Allison. I hope the teachers are understanding.

I'm looking forward to reading your trip report. And I bet that Victoria is anxious to go on her trip now.

It took a while - but I was finally able to get a hold of the principal yesterday, who sent an email to all of her teachers, giving her an Incomplete until she is able to go back to school and take her finals. I don't think she will be going back today - but tomorrow, I am certain she will be back. It was such a relief to both of us - and we were so worried most of the morning.

I am so excited to share it. Yes - it won't be long now for V... I need to get her list of ADRs - and we will be in full swing planning mode for her trip in just a few short weeks! :woohoo:

Welcome home! But I'm so sorry to hear that Allison is sick! Sending prayers and pixie dust her way -- I hope she feels better soon!

Thank you.... She is doing better this morning -but still not able to go to school today.... I am hoping by tomorrow. After lots of emailing and calling yesterday, I was finally able to get a hold of the principal, who emailed her teachers and instructed them to give her an Incomplete in all of her classes, until she can take her finals and turn in her final assignments. We were pretty stressed yesterday until we heard back.

Can't wait to read about your trip. Pictures on FB looked like you had a blast

I hope she feels better

You are quick, now i have to decide do i work or do i read?

Thanks! We did have so much fun! It was a great trip!

Hehehehe... So, what did you do? Work? Read? LOL

Welcome home!!! I hope Allison is feeling better soon!! Looking forward to another great TR!!

Thanks!!! She is doing better this morning - but not ready to go back to school yet, I don't think? I am certain she will go back tomorrow though.

Welcome home! How wonderful that you two had a great trip. Glad both flights went well!! I am very sorry that Allison is sick - sending her pixie dust for her to be feeling better soon.:

Thank you! It was a great trip, it's nice to be home, but sad it's over. We will be deep into planning V's trip in the next few weeks though. :woohoo:

Hi D!
Sorry I've been MIA....again....

So sorry to hear about Allison's wisdom teeth, stress and new illness. Hope she starts feeling better soon!!!!

In early December 10 of my fellow employees were told they would no longer have a job come 12/31/15. So things at work haven't improved much. Folks still feel like there is an atmosphere of wanting anyone who has been here for any length of time to leave. My boss has always been great to me so I guess I shouldn't complain. AND I really do know it probably isn't any better anywhere else. They are remodeling our building. Removing nearly all the offices and making it an open floor plan. So I've been moved out of my office with a nice huge window and view of Boston skyline and am currently in a good size cubicle without any windows close by. This is just temporary space until they figure out where we will go-we might move to space they are working on right now or it might be the end of this year before we move again. When I move again I'll be in a tiny 6x6 cubicle with very low walls.

Good news on the work front is that a coworker & I have been given permission to attend a conference at the Disney Institute in June! We will be staying at the Grand Floridian. I've never been there. The classroom work is reinforced with "field experiences" in the parks. I'm pretty excited about going. I'm going the weekend before and staying in a 2BR villa at the Grand Floridian using my DVC points I saved from last year with my FL friend, Terry. That weekend is actually her birthday. Then I'll stay an extra night at the Grand after the conference and 1 last night in a studio at the Poly. The course fits in well with the changes they are trying to make here so hopefully it will help me improve my attitude about the whole thing. Since I'm doing this in June I will not be going to Disney in May for my birthday. I will be at Disney for 10 nights and only use 2 vacation days. Guess I'll be using my vacation days doing college tours.

Following along on your new trip report. Can't wait to read more!

THanks Bernadette!

And thanks for checking in - I always worry about you, since you aren't on FB. I am glad to see you are OK and just busy. :hug:

Sounds like you are going to get some good Disney time in coming up - and at some great resorts too! How exciting! :woohoo: I sure hope that everything goes smoothly with your job and you are one who will keep yours - if they are continuing your training - that's a good sign. :thumbsup2

Glad to see you over there too! :hug: I've missed you!

I am glad you are home safe. I am so sorry to hear that Allison is sick. Poor thing - she's been through the ringer these last few weeks. Thankfully it happened after you got home and not in the middle of the trip. Sending her major amounts of pixie dust.

We leave in 4 days! I hope our trip is half as wonderful as yours was!

Thanks! It's definitely been a rough few weeks for her. Oh I agree - a day or two sooner and I think I would have thrown my hands up. LOL

:woohoo: How exciting!!!! I bet you can't wait! I sure hope your trip is marvelous!!!! You all deserve to have a fantastic trip - lots of pixie dust coming your way!!!! Safe travels - and I hope you will check in when you return home and tell us all about it! :D

I just finished several days of reading you whole trip report. I am a terrible lurker(I love reading what everyone else writes), just not very good at posting on things (I'm not even on FB). But I am popping my head out to say how awesome you are; so talented, so creative. You are truly an artist with a sewing machine. Plus I find your health and wellness journey inspiring. And your general self awareness an reflection about life and how you respond to it to be so thoughtful and illuminating. Thank you so much for taking the time to share and inspire!

Awww.... Welcome! Thank you! I am a little speechless and I don't know what to say. Thank you for all of your compliments and enjoying my writing style and life moments in general - I love sharing here and I love that so many people are inspired by my ordinary ways. :lovestruc

I hope you will continue to follow along here and in my new TR that I just started yesterday (link in my siggy). :lovestruc

**************************************************************************************************

No rest for the weary, right? LOL

Yesterday - as usual - I was immediately back to working out. Even though we easily logged 10+ miles of walking per day in WDW, I could see a HUGE visual difference in my day 1 photos vs. my day 8 photos... I have a LOT of bloat and size to get rid of this time. I know this going into it and I expect it - but it still bugs me. I combat it by only wearing stretchy pants for a couple of weeks after I get home, and working hard/eating right starting the very next day. Usually, after day 3 or 4, I am mostly back to normal.

Allison was home sick yesterday - as you all know. We were pretty anxious most of the day, because it took until well after noon to make contact with anyone at the school - I was actually getting ready to take her in, despite being sick - so she could do some of her finals... but just as we were leaving, I finally got an email back from the principal, who instructed all of the teachers to give her an incomplete in her classes until she is able to come back and take the finals. What a relief - she was so stressed yesterday, and I think that was just making things worse.

I also went back to work in my sewing room yesterday... Since originally - we were going to take Allison's trip over her spring break, when I planned out my schedule last year - I was only able to eek out one week off from orders... So, I am right back to work now. Which is OK... I like to stay busy. I am off all week at Target though, so I feel a little less stressed.

Today... I will be heavy lifting... I did a bit of grocery shopping yesterday - setting myself op for success this week. :thumbsup2

I am also in my sewing room all morning.

Allison is still home from school - but I suspect she will be back tomorrow. She was better last night, but I am just being cautious, since we know that she can do her finals when she goes back.

I have an appointment this afternoon - across the metro - so I will be picking V up from school and going for a drive. ::yes::

I hope you all have a wonderful day!!! Good and warm thoughts go out to all of you! :lovestruc

D~

I'm glad Allison is feeling better and that arrangements have been made for her finals so both of you can have the stress of that uncertainty off your shoulders!

I lost weight in November/December (partially as a result of my surgery but also started participating in a healthy weight loss challenge) and have been able to maintain what I've lost so far, but since we've been snowed in with the blizzard this weekend I've really gone off my eating plan and it showed on the scale this morning. I've done great with my water intake, but my daughter has been baking up a storm (no pun intended) and of course I've been enjoying the fruits of her labors. So it's back on track with my eating plan today for me!

Finally coming out of lurking to let you know how much I enjoy your TRs and posts. I have 2 girls (5 and 6.5) and it is SO nice to see that you are SO close with your girls even in their teen years! I really hope this for our family too. I have been lucky enough to take each of my daughter's on a solo trip already at age 4. While they may not remember it as they get older, they had a blast with one on one Mommy time and they are memories I will never forget! Glad you had a good trip and can't wait to read the details! This is our first January since 2012 not going to Disney, so I am having withdrawal!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us

Catching up! I sure hate to hear that Allison is sick, that sweet girl has had some tough breaks the last few weeks!! Thankfully the school is working with her on her finals :thumbsup2, I am sure that is a BIG relief!
I can't wait to read your TR, headed there now :jumping1:.

Is Allison feeling any better today? Hopefully, it isn't something that can spread. I hope she feels better soon and is able to make up those finals.

I was so glad to see that Allison's school is working with her. Thankfully her principal can look at the situation and see what is needed and do the right thing. Something similar happened to my son 11 years ago and the principal said "no exceptions". i had to take him in for finals even though he was sick. He was always a 4.0 student but he bombed all his finals. I was so angry.

Sending pixie dust that Allison continues to get better.

Glad to hear that Allison is feeling better. That's great her school was able to coordinate. Midterms are stressful enough, I can't imagine being sick through them!

So glad Allison is feeling better. Your principal is so nice to let her make them up. Hopefully she will be well enough to study and not just take them. So glad you had a fun time and I am enjoying reading about your adventures.

So happy to hear Allison is feeling better!

Thank you, she is doing better, but still not 100%

I'm glad Allison is feeling better and that arrangements have been made for her finals so both of you can have the stress of that uncertainty off your shoulders!

I lost weight in November/December (partially as a result of my surgery but also started participating in a healthy weight loss challenge) and have been able to maintain what I've lost so far, but since we've been snowed in with the blizzard this weekend I've really gone off my eating plan and it showed on the scale this morning. I've done great with my water intake, but my daughter has been baking up a storm (no pun intended) and of course I've been enjoying the fruits of her labors. So it's back on track with my eating plan today for me!

Thank you, she is doing better... Not completely, but she is going to have to power through today.

It's so hard to get back on track, isn't it? I find I do best if I just do it without procrastination... For instance, right now, it's quite sad for my trip to be over... But rather than putting my focus in that place, I am focusing on eating well and exercise, even just a few days of it is enough to get me back on track & remind me of my daily habits. Not to mention, the bloat/water retention from my trip is nearly gone, so that helps. My suggestion is to never let it spiral put of control... It's one thing to go all out on vacation or during a storm, but it's so important not to waste any time in going back to healthy living. Best of luck to you! :lovestruc

Finally coming out of lurking to let you know how much I enjoy your TRs and posts. I have 2 girls (5 and 6.5) and it is SO nice to see that you are SO close with your girls even in their teen years! I really hope this for our family too. I have been lucky enough to take each of my daughter's on a solo trip already at age 4. While they may not remember it as they get older, they had a blast with one on one Mommy time and they are memories I will never forget! Glad you had a good trip and can't wait to read the details! This is our first January since 2012 not going to Disney, so I am having withdrawal!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us

Welcome!! What a nice post, thank you!

Growing up the way I did - I never imagined that I would have a family or children with a relationship like this. I am not sure what I expected? But I am very grateful for it. I am not sure if it's because I allowed myself to be their friend and playmate as they were growing up? Or if I just got lucky? But I was that mom that sat on the floor with them and played Little People... Or I sat in the office and dressed American Girl dolls with them for hours and years on end? Or I went out of my comfort zone, when they got older, and we started planning and taking Disney trips together? I wasn't afraid to swing on swings or slide on slides... And in the end, we just naturally formed friendships - some of the best and most treasured of my life. I am so lucky to have them, and I wish this for anyone with children... One day - I am sure you will have it too. :thumbsup2

I think it's awesome that you've already taken both of them on solo trips... I hope - one day when they are older, you'll do girls trips too - they are some of the best memories of our lives! I hope that your girls get along better than mine do though. LOL :scratchin

Bummer that you are missing WDW at this time of year... I always miss it at Halloween time - just because our first 2 trips were during Halloween... I am very excited to be going during Halloween again this year. ::yes::

Catching up! I sure hate to hear that Allison is sick, that sweet girl has had some tough breaks the last few weeks!! Thankfully the school is working with her on her finals I am sure that is a BIG relief!
I can't wait to read your TR, headed there now .

Hi Monica... Yah - this kid - I dunno what I am going to do with her? It's been rough, for sure. But others go through worse - so we'll just plow through it. :thumbsup2

Yes - she is taking them today... She woke at 3:30 to study this morning... Sigh - I hope she can survive it - I am now worried that she will be too tired later.

I am so exited to be writing a TR again - I love it!

I hope you are settling back into life, and fun after your trip! :woohoo:

Is Allison feeling any better today? Hopefully, it isn't something that can spread. I hope she feels better soon and is able to make up those finals.

She is doing much better - but still not 100%... Despite that - she has to go to school today and power through it - I am not sure how much longer they will make an exception for her?

I was so glad to see that Allison's school is working with her. Thankfully her principal can look at the situation and see what is needed and do the right thing. Something similar happened to my son 11 years ago and the principal said "no exceptions". i had to take him in for finals even though he was sick. He was always a 4.0 student but he bombed all his finals. I was so angry.

Sending pixie dust that Allison continues to get better.

Yes - it was such a relief... That is so sad that your son was not given an exception - that is terrible actually... And to do poorly on top of that. :( I am sure that both of you were very angry - with every right to be. :hug:

Thanks - she is going to school today - she is not 100%, but it's tolerable, and I am not sure how much longer the school will be accommodating? So, it's best if she can get this out of the way asap.

So glad Allison is feeling better. Your principal is so nice to let her make them up. Hopefully she will be well enough to study and not just take them. So glad you had a fun time and I am enjoying reading about your adventures.

She is doing better - not 100% percent yet - but getting there. She has been studying a little bit, so that's good - she should do well.

I am glad you are enjoying my TR... I love writing them so much! :woohoo:

**************************************************************************************

I had a great day yesterday...

I did a couple of TR updates in the morning... I just love sharing these trips - and I love that people enjoy reading about them! So, a big thank you to those of you who are following along over there - it really means a lot to me! :grouphug:

I also did my heavy lifting... I was being lazy the week before my trip - and didn't do any... And, of course, I didn't do any during the trip either... So, I was away from it for 2 weeks. It felt good to be back. I also made some roasted brussels sprouts yesterday morning, so I could have them with meals this week.... They are some of my favorite veggies - and it's been so long since I have made them. I am trying very hard to eat closely to Whole30 right now, I find, coming off of a trip - if I can refocus this way - even if it's only for a week +, I lose my bloat quickly and I am able to get right back into my habits quickly and easily. :thumbsup2

Then I worked all morning... It feels great to be back to work and right on schedule. ::yes::

I had 2 appointments yesterday afternoon... So, I did a lot of driving and didn't get home until late - I went to bed almost immediately.

I did receive a phone call about my dad last night - for any of you who are following along with him and his health... It's not going well. He's been struggling a lot with edema in his legs - they are still so swollen, and they can't seem to get the swelling down. :( He has one sore that's not healing - and he's had it for a very long time... Well, now he has one on another leg, and his new Dr. has referred him to "wound care"... The nurses at the assisted living home are very scared that he may lose his legs. :( He is diabetic. His Dr. has ordered a hospital bed for him - in the hopes that it will help elevate his legs during the night.... So, Josh and I are going up this weekend to remove his old bed, to make room for his new hospital bed. I am very scared for him right now. I am trying to make another Dr. appointment for him this week, one that I can attend, Josh and I are concerned that part of the problem with him not being able to elevate his legs, is because he tells me he can't breathe when laying back - so I am worried that his oxygen levels are still bad - even though the nurse told me yesterday that there isn't an issue there. It's just terrible.. He has aged 20 years in the last 2. So, any and all prayers for him would be greatly appreciated. :lovestruc I am not sure he could handle losing his legs - but I am not sure he is willing/able to do what is needed to save them either. :(

Today... I will work out this morning... Then I will work upstairs all day. Nothing too terribly exciting. I will be making a bunch of phone calls regarding my dad and hopefully iron out my schedule to make something work out so I can go to the Dr. with him this week.

I hope you have a wonderful day - prayers and pixie dust to all! :hug:

D~

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your dad's health D. I hope they can come up with a solution that will work for him.

also made some roasted brussels sprouts yesterday morning, so I could have them with meals this week.... They are some of my favorite veggies - and it's been so long since I have made them. I am trying very hard to eat closely to Whole30 right now, I find, coming off of a trip - if I can refocus this way - even if it's only for a week +, I lose my bloat quickly and I am able to get right back into my habits quickly and easily. :thumbsup2
How do you make your roasted brussel sprouts? I have some in my fridge, looking for some new ways to cook them. DH and I have been doing a whole 30 that we stared on January 1st. At least I am, DH started smoking again so it really isn't a whole30. I'm hoping to actually do the reintroduction this time before I throw it all out the window on our cruise. Not all, i'm not going to eat bread, but probably will do pasta and desserts even if it is only a bit or 2.

I did receive a phone call about my dad last night - for any of you who are following along with him and his health... It's not going well. He's been struggling a lot with edema in his legs - they are still so swollen, and they can't seem to get the swelling down. :( He has one sore that's not healing - and he's had it for a very long time... Well, now he has one on another leg, and his new Dr. has referred him to "wound care"... The nurses at the assisted living home are very scared that he may lose his legs. :( He is diabetic. His Dr. has ordered a hospital bed for him - in the hopes that it will help elevate his legs during the night.... So, Josh and I are going up this weekend to remove his old bed, to make room for his new hospital bed. I am very scared for him right now. I am trying to make another Dr. appointment for him this week, one that I can attend, Josh and I are concerned that part of the problem with him not being able to elevate his legs, is because he tells me he can't breathe when laying back - so I am worried that his oxygen levels are still bad - even though the nurse told me yesterday that there isn't an issue there. It's just terrible.. He has aged 20 years in the last 2. So, any and all prayers for him would be greatly appreciated. :lovestruc I am not sure he could handle losing his legs - but I am not sure he is willing/able to do what is needed to save them either. :(
Scarey. I hope you can go with with your dad to his appointments and get some answers. I know you don't want him closer to you since he would be further from your brother, but have you spoken to him and your brother about him moving closer? In addition to you being able to help he more, sometimes a change of doctors puts a new spin on a person's health.

So sorry to hear about your dad. Is there a place nearby your dad that provides hyperbaric oxygen therapy?

Glad Allison is making up finals but sorry to hear she is still less than 100%.

I'm sorry about your Dad's health problems -- I hope you're able to make the necessary arrangements to help him be as healthy as possible. I'm glad Allison was feeling a bit better and able to go to school!

D,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad's health problems. keeping all of you in my prayers.

Thank you! :lovestruc

So sorry to hear about your dad's health D. I hope they can come up with a solution that will work for him.

Thanks... I hope so too. :lovestruc

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your dad. Sending prayers your way.

Thank you! :hug:

How do you make your roasted brussel sprouts? I have some in my fridge, looking for some new ways to cook them. DH and I have been doing a whole 30 that we stared on January 1st. At least I am, DH started smoking again so it really isn't a whole30. I'm hoping to actually do the reintroduction this time before I throw it all out the window on our cruise. Not all, i'm not going to eat bread, but probably will do pasta and desserts even if it is only a bit or 2.
Scarey. I hope you can go with with your dad to his appointments and get some answers. I know you don't want him closer to you since he would be further from your brother, but have you spoken to him and your brother about him moving closer? In addition to you being able to help he more, sometimes a change of doctors puts a new spin on a person's health.

Well... I set the oven at 375°, I wash them, then I take off the outer loose leaves - set them aside. I trim off the bottoms and cut the bigger ones in half... Throw them in a big bowl with some onion and chopped bacon - then I drizzle some light tasting olive oil in there and mix it all up... Bake for about 30 min or so... Until they are nice and brown and caramelized on the outside. About half way through - I throw all the excess leaves on the pan too - but if i put them in there right away they burn, so I wait a while. :)

Thank you - I am very nervous for him, I hope that some of this helps him. My brother really doesn't have the mindset to offer any sort of help or opinion - so it's really up to me to decide what is best. I plan to talk to my dad this weekend to see what he wants me to do.

So sorry to hear about your dad. Is there a place nearby your dad that provides hyperbaric oxygen therapy?

Glad Allison is making up finals but sorry to hear she is still less than 100%.

I am not sure - I've never heard of it... But I am looking into the possibility of whether he needs to be on some sort of oxygen, or even a Cpap/Bpap machine at night.

She did go back to school yesterday -she did take a few of her finals, she doesn't feel very confident on all of them. :( We'll see...

I'm sorry about your Dad's health problems -- I hope you're able to make the necessary arrangements to help him be as healthy as possible. I'm glad Allison was feeling a bit better and able to go to school!

Thank you - it's difficult when he is so far away... hopefully we can get some answers soon.

Yes, she went to school yesterday and did take some of her finals - she is not very confident that she did well on all of them, which is a bummer - but hopefully she did OK. She still isn't 100%, but hopefully soon.

Thinking about you during this time regarding your dad's health, sending prayers your way.

Thank you! :hug:

*****************************************************************************************************

I had a decent day yesterday...>

I did a couple of updates in my TR in the morning - I need to slow down, but I am having so much fun writing it and sharing our trip with you all.

I worked out in the morning...

Then I made several phone calls about my dad and figured out our schedule for the coming week, so we can make a trip up there. I think we have everything ironed out - except for the Dr. I need to try to call them again today.

I did get some work done yesterday - but not as much as I would have liked... I'll have to be a little more dedicated today.

That's about all...

Today - I'll be heavy lifting this morning...

Maybe do an update or two in my TR?

Then I'll be working all day - trying to make up for yesterday.

I hope you all have a wonderful day - prayers and pixie dust to all! :lovestruc

D~

I'm so sorry to hear Alli is sick. I hope she gets well soon so she can get her finals done. I'm so glad to hear the principal helped out so she can take her finals when she gets well.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope his legs get better soon so they can be saved.

Thanks for sharing how you roast your brussel sprouts. DH & I really enjoy them, but are getting bored with just steamed ones.

Sending lots of pixie dust & prayers your Dad's way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter