• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

They switched my resort - should I be upset?

4BWV

Earning My Ears
Just received a call from the Swan/Dolphin reservation system.

I have a confirmed reservation(made back in August) at the Swan but now they inform me that the Swan is full, so they were moving me to the Dolphin.

Was really looking forward to staying at the Swan since it is the absolute closest to MGM (going to SSW).

Looking for your opinions - should I just be glad that they still have A room for me or should I push for my original reservation to be honored??

Thanks!

When are you going? I would probably be upset, if they gave no reason, other than it was full. However, I have heard great things about the Dolphin, so you should be happy there. If I were you I would ask for a comparable room, or view, or anything else they might be willing to compensate for your inconvenience. WDW did that for those who had ressies at CBR and then had to switch. Worth a shot.

I think it's not unusual for one hotel to receive overflow from the other. In some respects they are operated as a single property. I personally would not be too upset.

If nothing else works out, you might mention at check in that your original reservation was at the Swan and you'd still prefer a room there if available.

I would push for the Swan. They have queen beds while the Dolphin only has doubles.

and the room I had was REALLY nice. the swan is maybe - 50 feet? closer to MGM - not enough to amount to much. Swan and Dolphin share a boat stop.

:confused: :confused: You make a reservation and then they move you because the resort is full?? Was it full when you made the reservation?? If not, I think I would be a little (or a lot) upset. To me this is like Disney moving you from ASMo to ASMu because Mo got full. If the guest had wanted to stay at Dolphin/Mu they would have made their reservations at that resort.

I personally would call and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Don't tell me this!!!!! I just made a reservation at the Swan for January 10-13th, because the smallest beds they have are queens. I have a 6'3" hubby, and neither one of us are "petite". We won't fit into a double. If they move me to the Dolphin, they better move to a king size bed room!

I agree with WDW2002. At the time of booking in August it must not have been full or they would not have taken your reservation. What exactly is their policy that they decided you have to move? Do you think they move shorter stays to accomodate longer staying guests?

I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor. If the move is a must I would hope they will offer to compensate you for not being able to fulfill your original confirmed reservation.

Good Luck and keep us posted of the outcome.:)

Thanks for the responses.

After thinking about it some more, I definitely will call tomorrow. The queen beds were a deciding factor when I made my reservation. Plus I checked availability thru dreams reservations, here at this site and lo and behold - they are showing that they can provide me accomodations at the Swan, even with the government employee rate for my entire stay.

How can rooms be available but the Swan wants to move my current reservation due to overflow?!?!

When is your reservation for?? Isn't this where DISCON II has a block of rooms for Early Dec?? I am wondering if it something like this. A block of rooms being reserved for a convention so now they need to move other guests??

I would deffiently call.

Try checking availability on the swan/dolphin website.:D

Just curious, but we recently made ressies at the Dolphin, and were given a choice of two queens or a single king.... ?? Did someone mis-speak?

We are going for 4 nights (arriving Nov 7th - checking out Nov 11th). Myself and a co-worker are taking a well-deserved vacation and checking out the soap opera stars at the same time.

The official swan/dolphin shows no swan room availability fri-sun but is available on thur. As stated before, you would think that they had rooms available back when they confirmed my reservation.

Queen Beds - Everything I have read states that dolphin only has two doubles or a king as an opiton. ??All of you dolphin experts - does the dolphin infact have some rooms with 2 queens??

Thanks for all your insights so far!

Dolphin (which is a large property and accomodates more patrons) only has doubles/kings in the rooms. This offers a bit more "room" for relaxing/moving about the furniture, a bit less for sleeping. The swan also offers an "extra" sink in the vanity area outside the bathroom. The Dolphin has a vanity. Both are wonderful "sister" properties, and share many features.

If you are "set" on the Swan, I would call and arrange to stay there with the management. They will be able to amend this situation at once. Of course, you could also call and request an "upgrade" (to a preferred view & Club level) for all your inconvenience (irregardless of which property you select). I'm sorry for your troubles. This is SUCH a rarity, I seldom ever hear of it occurring. Please, let me know what happens. Feel free to pm/email me. ;)

We also made reservations for 11/7 thru 11/11 at the Swan and were switched to the Dolphin. I assumed that the Swan must have a large convention or group booked there at the same time. We have stayed at both resorts and like them equally as well so that did not upset me at all.

I think that you would be just as happy at the Dolphin. It is the same location. I like having Tubbies right there for a quick bite to eat. What ever you decide to do, have fun and enjoy your trip!

Since my DH is tall, we requested the Swan at our visit last year. DH would have not been happy if he were not in at least a queen size bed. If there are only 2 of you in the room, I would insist that they offer you a king size bed in the Dolphin. One benefit of the Dolphin over the Swan for us would have been that the Dolphin is closer to the fabulous grotto pool where we spent a lot of time. The Dolphin does not seem any farther to me to Epcot or any of the Boardwalk amenities. I feel Starwood management should compensate you for revising your reservations. Our room at the Swan had mold above the bathtub/shower and we could not be moved because they were booked due to a convention. I do not believe from the posts I've read that the Dophin rooms have these problems. You may be better off at the Dophin.

Since my DH is tall, we requested the Swan at our visit last year. DH would have not been happy if he were not in at least a queen size bed. If there are only 2 of you in the room, I would insist that they offer you a king size bed in the Dolphin. One benefit of the Dolphin over the Swan for us would have been that the Dolphin is closer to the fabulous grotto pool where we spent a lot of time. The Dolphin does not seem any farther to me to Epcot or any of the Boardwalk amenities. I feel Starwood management should compensate you for revising your reservations. Our room at the Swan had mold above the bathtub/shower and we could not be moved because they were booked due to a convention. I do not believe from the posts I've read that the Dophin rooms have these problems. You may be better off at the Dophin.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Just wanted to follow up. I did infact call the SWAN today to understand more fully why they moved me ( after a confirmed reservation) and what compensation they were willing to offer for the switch.

Reservationist & supervisor were very friendly and informed me that they had a big convention coming in for the same timeframe (nov 7-11th) therefore, they moved a number of their guests to the dolphin. They guaranteed me a resort view room ( I had a standard reserved at the swan) and also made a note in my reservation that if a club level became available that I would be comp'd that also (but realizing availability of a club level would be slim).

All in All - the staff was very accomodating - so off to the dolphin we go.

:bounce:

An upgrade, and only for the asking! I am sure you will be happy! Especially if they can comp you CL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter