They stole my Nemo story says French author

Dznefreek

DIS Veteran
Click <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&ncid=600&e=3&u=/nm/20031230/film_nm/film_nemo_dc">here</a>.

All clown fish in the sea live in pink sea anemone. Seems like a stretch to me. Why has it become an issue after the film has been out so long? Plot of film was available long before the movie was released.:smooth:

My thoughts: I once attended a writing class by a man who had written published books and screenplays. He said that Hollywood steals copiously, and without remorse all the time.

Secondly - I've written a series of children's books (as yet unpublished). The first thing they tell you to do before writing a children's book is to read every children's book in exsistence - to see what's out there. I can imagine the Nemo people reading and finding everything they could about fish as research for their screenplay and movie. There have been blatant cases of theft before so it wouldn't surprise me at all. I think it happens all the time. It would be interesting to see who had PIXAR had the original idea and where they got it.

A big reason he is suing now...

Companies in France are refusing to produce/market his second clown fish book and merchandise because the fish looks too much like Nemo. The companies are afraid of being sued by Disney because the fish is so similar...which is highly ironic because his fish was created before Nemo.

I have seen pics of both fish and there is quite a resemblance (of course they are clown fish and how different can they be). I do think there might be some merit to this. I also think it's a shame that he can't get his second book or merchandise marketed in France because of Nemo.

Jess

Perhaps it's the other way around-he didn't even get his book published until now!!!! Makes you wonder.

Perhaps it's the other way around-he didn't even get his book published until now!!!! Makes you wonder.
His book was published in mid-2002, a year before the release of Nemo. He had the script in 1995. If it's a coincedence, it's a pretty big coincedence. How many books or movies about clown fish have there been in the last 50 years?!

His first book about his clown fish was published before Nemo was created. It's his second book and other merchandise that he cannot get marketed because his fish looks too much like Nemo.

Jess

I good see why Disney maybe have got some ideas from the book.. Didn't Disney copy off the book peter pan to make the movie?

I good see why Disney maybe have got some ideas from the book.. Didn't Disney copy off the book peter pan to make the movie?
Most Disney movies have been based on source material. However, in those cases they had the rights, the permission, or the material was in public domain - if it is old. In this case they didn't - assuming they actually stole the idea.

The same goes to Disney's The Lion King which is a direct copy of a Japanese animation "Kimba the Lion King" which was released about a decade (if not more) prior to Disney's Lion King.

(you can check the scene-by-scene comparison since both movies are available on DVD)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter