They just don't understand

MELSMICE

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be
Does anyone ever get "hassled" by family & friends about not going anywhere else on vacation but WDW?

It's usually people without kids or who have never been there. In the past we've tried to explain why we love it so much & continue to return. Recently, we've decided to give up, nod our heads & say, "I know aren't we crazy, but we always have a great time!!!"

THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND - DO THEY?!!?

Having a husband who doesn't understand!!!!

Oh he loves to be there....but he doesn't want to plan, get excite, think about it EVERY WAKING MOMENT!!!!!

Ok, maybe I'm the one with the problem......

NO, it's him!:cool:

...he even thinks we need to take our girls "other places" on vacation :( isn't that a crime against Disney :p :p

The only way I know it to get a husband like mine who says "go to Disney as often as you want. Just don't leave me for too long or make me go with you."

I'm waiting to see what happens when we have kids. I'm sure I could get one or two trips out of them, but the rest will have to be "mommy and me/us" trips. Oh well, at least he doesn't give me a hard time about going or spending the money on it!!!

I have friend who can not understand why we would take our kids to "a place like that". After all her retired aunt and uncle go there every yr so there can't be anything there for kids. She has even said it was cruel for a coworker of hers to take her 2 grandchildern wh owere 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. She said why waste money for them to go somewhere where they would just cry all the time because ther was nothing to do.

I can't believe this subject! Just last night I was telling my husband about the same problem where I work. Why can't people understand the logic???? They may go to the shore or cruises year after year. Does anyone ever say to them, are you going there again. Aren't you getting tired of the same place? NO So why is Disney any different! We still haven't seen everything and the kids (17, 19 21) are so looking forward to our trip 18 days away!!!!! Oh well at work I just tell them they don't know what they are missing and go about my work and smile inside!!!

We used to get this a lot, but we always just smile and say we go because we enjoy the magic. :)

We don't get harrassed too much anymore, because everyone knows this is what we love and this is what we do and there's pretty much no talking us out of it.

Even my husband's boss knows that when he asks for vacation time, it's for another Disney trip!

I can really relate to this topic. My coworkers don't understand. They all just roll their eyes at me. They all go to the beach every year but they think going to DW is weird. What's there to do at the beach every year? They all rent houses (for about as much as it costs for 1 week at DW) they cook and make their own beds and do dishes. YUCK! I can do that at home. My husband makes fun of me but when I ask him where he wants to go, it's always DW.:p

The best was on Monday, I had a co-worker tell me that my kids are too young for WDW. She was surprised we went every year and even more shocked when she heard the kids come. DD #1 started going at 7 months and #2 will have her first trip in December and be just short of a year (I just couldn't find a way to get an earlier trip in there!:D )

Most people don't understand. But we are not beach people and I am a ride person. Luckily DH loves it as much as I do, although I am sure he would never admit to it! He makes it look lik its all me, but I know the truth. He has just as much fun as I do. He's just not into the planning. He leaves that for me and about a month before we go he helps with all of the planning and last minute details.

It's funny becuase sometimes my in-laws will make fun of me but every year they are off the Bermuda, and I just smile.

Thank you Thank you Thank you for this thread- I was beginning to think we were the only ones who got this response. I was so excited a little while ago when I found disboards and realized that there were people out there like me. LOL- Dis-ers- you complete me!! J/K but seriously it is nice to have finally met a group of people who understand why you would want to go to Disney every year or *gasp* multiple times in one year. My future in laws can't understand it at all, they took their kids once when they were growing up because it was "something you have to do once". Then they never went back. I just don't get it. Now whenever we take a trip to Disney World, they think I am dragging their son kicking and screaming and against his will or something. We haven't told them yet where we will be honeymooning (in September) because we don't want to hear it yet. And this all from the people who go to Cape Cod every year and rent a house near the beach for well over $1000 and they barely ever leave the house. And they call that a vacation??????:confused: :confused: :confused: I can't understand it- give me Disney any day.

Most people think we are crazy!!

But, I used to wonder how people went every year, until I took my first trip and was hooked!:D

Boy, what everyone has said is so true. Everyone goes to the beach, and I hate to go, especially with kids. I worry about undertows, sinking, sunburns, and I always have to entertain them. Give me Disney anyday!! My sister-in-law really dislikes Disney; so, just to really annoy her, I always send her daughter Disney clothes and toys for Christmas. The little girl LOVES the princess dresses I send her.

We have been to WDW eight times in the last seven years. What is best about Disney is with all there is to do, we have had 8 different trips. Our last trip in December we concentrated on Epcot and Animal Kingdom and got to go to MVMCP.

About going to other places, we just went to the Atlantis in the Bahamas and spent double what we would have spent in WDW. Needless to say, a five star resort such as the Atlantis could use customer service lessons from Disney. The service was terrible! Even my husband, who is somewhat Disneyed-out, agrees that the customer service at Disney can not be compared.

Furthermore, do what you enjoy in life. Being together as a family is much more important no matter where you are.

I've heard so many people remark that they were waiting for their kids to get older so they'd appreciate Disney. At what age does one need to be to appreciate Dumbo, the carousel, or meeting Winnie the Pooh? It seems to me many things are more exciting to the little ones than to a teen.

This might be heresy, but there are vacations other than Disney that we enjoy. My husband and I vacation (cruise) every year SANS kids. We could do nothing but cruise and have a different vacation just like with Disney. That's why they're my favorites.

Co-workers just don't get it- I have never found one who understood.
Most of my friends don't get it -just roll their eyes, like, "not again? :rolleyes:
Step-children-(14 & 15) only enjoyed it @ 6 & 7-now, "it's corny"-"here she goes again.".
Husband-Really thinks I am crazy and will never understand. I am hoping the trip in Aug. will change his mind-like when he sees DD eyes light up at the princess breakfast.
DD(6) and I are the ones totally obsessed. What I've determined so far, is if they don't get it, they probably never will. Just enjoy yourself!

I took my first trip with my parents back in 1975. We were the first among our friends to go. And we were hooked! I can't remember the exact number of times we've been there but my baby is 2 and has been there six times! People always thought we were nuts, imagining that we go there and dance around the park with the characters. Yes, even we had to laugh at ourselves, but you know what? I LOVE IT AND I'M GOING BACK!

I too have had people talk about their "house on the beach" that cost a fortune and the cooking and cleaning and laundry. Restaurants? none (guess mommy has to cook) What did you do? lay out on the beach, (oooh fun!) Entertainment? sitting around drinking beer and setting off the fireworks on the beach (bet the kids loved that!), sitting around the house. Count me out!

And I've said this many times. Anyone who goes to Disney and hates it is JUST NOT DOING IT RIGHT. They are either pushing themselves when they want to relax, or going where some guidebook tells them to go and not listening to where their heart wants to be. Or they hit the parks somewhere around noon and can't deal with the crowds or won't try the fastpass or show up at the most popular restaurant in the park without a PS and expect to be seated right away. YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE A PLAN! This place is popular! Yes it would be great to just meander around and have the place to yourself but unless your living in a timewarp (say 1972), there are a lot of people with you here and you have to take (or reserve) your turn.

There, I've finally said it and oh I feel so much better now! Yes, there are people who think we are crazy, they are crazy too. How long I've wanted to say the words above when people ask "Why do you go there so much?" But after all these years I have learned to just smile and say, "Cause we are Disney Nuts." :jester:

I think we/re looking at it all wrong.................................
we're not CRAZY.....they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce:

I work in the finace department for a Girl Scout council. Some of the women are really die hard girl scouts, bleed green and all that. The one's who run the camping programs hate WDW because so many of the girls and camp staffers plan thier camping around thier WDW trips.LOL The main camp director, who's office is next to mine, draws up like a big toadfrog at the mear mention of the D word.LOL She says if people go away on vactations, they should go to places like (this is where she takes her daughter other than camping) Washington, DC, Williamsburg, New Orleans...places where they can learn things and get culture. I say fine, but to me those places are long weekend kind of places.....what could you do there for a whole week? I feel sorry for her daughter. I also bring back a new souvie from WDW to sit in my office after every trip.hehehe I just like watching them draw up like toads.:cool:

If I want to avoid the chuckles and jokes at work, I have to close my door if I want to listen to one of my Disney CDs. :p

When I was first diagnosed with Disneyitis, my DW thought I was nuts and a lost cause. :crazy: Guess what, she's come down with many symptoms, including saying "I can't wait for our next trip!" Our oldest DD was born with the condition. Our youngest DD probably has it too but she's too young to notice any symptoms (yet). :)

Some people will never understand. Their loss! :cool:

I have the same type of problem with my in-laws, especially about DCL. Neither DH or my family had $$ to vacation when we were kids. Now as adults with college educations and good jobs we have the $$ to go often. We've been on 3 DCL in 14 months. Our twins turned 3 on our first DCL and all I heard out of my MIL was "why are you going, they'll never remember it, you're not going to leave them in the kids club for more than 1 hour at a time are you, etc..." My in-laws have only been on 2 vacations in 20 years-once to Disneyland when DH was 17 and Las Vegas with DH and I for our 1st anniversary. I asked them to go on the cruise last Sept and MIL response "you're not getting me on any cruise ship". I think it's sad, they have plenty of money to go and are missing out on precious memories with their grandchildren. Everyone rolled their eyes when we announced our 3rd cruise at our twins b-day this past March. I don't like to even tell them about our upcoming vacations, why spoil my enthusiasm with their negativity. They all think we're spoiling our kids rotten-so I am-sue me!! The other sad part is, my parents would like to go, but we can't ask them because DH cannot stand them (his reasons are justified) and I'm not going to ruin his vacation being with someone he can't stand.

My only other problem now is DH is cruised-out and WDW'd-out, so he wants to go somewhere else for our next vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter