Thermostat bypass?

CRSNDSNY

DIS Veteran
Please someone point me in the right direction to the thermostat bypass directions? My room is SOOOOO HOT and I cannot get this darned thing to cool down our room.

:goodvibes

I'm sure someome will be by with that info shortly but in the meantime an easy fix is to put a balloon in your room since it's motion activated. I hear lots of people do that.

Thanks for that info, but even when we're in our room and moving around, it creeps up beyond 80 degrees! I just don't get it. :(

I feel for you. It's terrible when all you want to do is go to your room for a little R&R and it's so uncomfortable. I saved these directions when I came across them on another thread. I haven't tried them yet, so let me know if they work. Good Luck!!!

Originally Posted by Buzz2001
On the thermostat, push the power button and the down arrow (button that adjusts the temp) at the exact same time. If you do this correctly, you will see the letters "bp" where the temp normally shows. You are now bypassing the sensors in the room. You can then set the temp to whatever you want and it keeps the room that cold whether you are in it or not. You might have to do this once a day as the thermostat tends to go back to sensor mode after 24 hours.

Surely a call to maintenance is in order here. It sounds like something is broke in the system, not a failure of the motion sensor.

Also, make sure you have the patio/balcony door shut. The A/C won't work in most units when it is not shut.

Also, make sure you have the patio/balcony door shut. The A/C won't work in most units when it is not shut.
yes, they were shut.

Thanks for the posts mickey moose and diskidz! We are home now and will try this in December if we continue to have trouble keeping cool. :goodvibes

where is this an issue? I've noticed a lot of people posting air conditioning posts, but this is the first one I've read. Is this a problem in a lot of DVC resorts? Seems kind of crazy that disney woudln't recognize this problem and find a way to fix it.

I have had the problem with the AC shutting down at night when there is no movement at AKV, SSR, Swan and Dolphin. The bypass mentioned in the above links worked in all those locations for me. The balloon trick did NOT work for me. We carry a portable fan on trips and had it blowing the balloons constantly and it did not have any effect. As soon as I woke up and moved my arms or legs, you could hear the AC kick on. I assumed because it was because the sensor was not just motion but was sensing body heat and movement. The bypass trick has solved my problem..................

I guess Disney does not "fix" the problem, because they are saving money overall and any guest that complains can be accommodated by maintenance simply going to the room and bypassing the system for the complaining guest.

Last week in BWV, we had one of the "old" style thermostats - which I didn't know still existed in the villas. It just had a fan switch, a heat/cool switch and the lever on the side for temp. No buttons, it wasn't "electronically enhanced". We had trouble keeping the room cool enough, even with the temp turned lower. It wasn't horrible, but in the afternoons with the sun on our side, it got a little warmer than we would have liked. The hallway was always cooler and less humid.

DisFlan

There are so many models of thermostats in use now at WDW, it's hard to keep up with all the tricks. I'd printed out 3 different sets of override instructions I'd found online. When we got to BCV, the thermostat in the room didn't match any of them. All of the instructions talked about buttons that weren't on our themostat.

I tried posting a picture while I was there, but never had any luck.

BCVThermostat.jpg

we have not noticed this before. We stayed at SSR in Aug and Nov. We have also stayed at BCV, BWV and also OKW. hmmmmm I guess we will see again in Nov. at SSR and OKW. :confused3

That is not the thermostat we had in our villa at SSR.

There are so many models of thermostats in use now at WDW, it's hard to keep up with all the tricks. I'd printed out 3 different sets of override instructions I'd found online. When we got to BCV, the thermostat in the room didn't match any of them. All of the instructions talked about buttons that weren't on our themostat.

I tried posting a picture while I was there, but never had any luck.

BCVThermostat.jpg

We were at SSR from 9/15 - 9/21 in a dedicated 2BR and experienced the room temperature issue. We tried the balloon process and it did not work for us. We found it most annoying during the night hours when many of us woke up feeling warm.

Our solution--

One good thing to getting older is a weaker bladder..:lmao: Every time my DH had to get up and visit the little boys room he went out in front of the thermostat and waved his arms around. It worked!! He heard the AC come on each time and kept the rest of us sleeping very comfortable.

So if anyone needs to borrow my DH...he's available and doesn't want cash but rather points purchased for him....:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

For anyone that gets to this thread via search... we are currently staying in a studio at BCV that had a maximum temp of 68. The thermostat looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic that was posted.

This is what we did (found the instructions somewhere else), and were able to lower the maximum temp to 55. Still not sure if this will override the motion sensor, but as it is Jan if it at least gets down to a reasonable temp before we go to sleep that will be better than the sweating through the night that was last night!

1. PRESS (AND KEEP PRESSED) THE F/C KEY (the little one between the up and down)

2. PRESS (& RELEASE) THE FAN ONLY KEY

3. PRESS (& RELEASE) THE DISPLAY KEY.

4. RELEASE THE F/C KEY.

UPON SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING THIS SEQUENCE, THE LCD WILL DISPLAY PAR (PARAMETER) AND THE PARAMETER NUMBER.

1. PRESS THE UP ARROW KEY & SCROLL UNTIL # 6 APPEARS.

2. PRESS THE FAN ONLY KEY

3. THE CURRENT LOW TEMPERATURE IS DISPLAYED.

4. PRESS THE DOWN ARROW KEY AND SCROLL UNTIL THE DESIRED ROOM TEMPERATURE APPEARS

5. PRESS THE F/C KEY

Now you can set the temp to whatever you want.

Hope this helps someone!!

For anyone that gets to this thread via search... we are currently staying in a studio at BCV that had a maximum temp of 68. The thermostat looks EXACTLY like the one in the pic that was posted.

This is what we did (found the instructions somewhere else), and were able to lower the maximum temp to 55. Still not sure if this will override the motion sensor, but as it is Jan if it at least gets down to a reasonable temp before we go to sleep that will be better than the sweating through the night that was last night!

1. PRESS (AND KEEP PRESSED) THE F/C KEY (the little one between the up and down)

2. PRESS (& RELEASE) THE FAN ONLY KEY

3. PRESS (& RELEASE) THE DISPLAY KEY.

4. RELEASE THE F/C KEY.

UPON SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING THIS SEQUENCE, THE LCD WILL DISPLAY PAR (PARAMETER) AND THE PARAMETER NUMBER.

1. PRESS THE UP ARROW KEY & SCROLL UNTIL # 6 APPEARS.

2. PRESS THE FAN ONLY KEY

3. THE CURRENT LOW TEMPERATURE IS DISPLAYED.

4. PRESS THE DOWN ARROW KEY AND SCROLL UNTIL THE DESIRED ROOM TEMPERATURE APPEARS

5. PRESS THE F/C KEY

Now you can set the temp to whatever you want.

Hope this helps someone!!

Thanks for posting. Let us know if it works for you

Thanks for that update. This is a very informative thread (and funny at times!!!).

We didn't have this issue when we went back in September and stayed at SSR but I'm printing all the advice and keeping it in our travel file....along with my wireless adapter directions.

Thanks so much!

Thanks...I will try it. We're at OKW right now and the room is getting too hot for us. I changed the temp, but it keeps going back to the 78 they have it set for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter