Thermography - for breast cancer screening

toesmom

DIS Veteran
I found out recently that thermography is much more accurate than mammograms to detect cancer cells for breast cancer. I wanted to pass this on to everyone, to do your research and make sure you do either a mammogram or schedule appointment with thermography clinic to catch anything early. I have only had mammograms, and never heard of thermography, but found out it is much more accurate to detect early cells that may be cancerous.

Same thing with PAP smears, we have to stay healthy, and doing these tests regularly can hopefully lead to early detection of possible diseases.

Thanks everyone, happy 4th of july!

I found out recently that thermography is much more accurate than mammograms to detect cancer cells for breast cancer. I wanted to pass this on to everyone, to do your research and make sure you do either a mammogram or schedule appointment with thermography clinic to catch anything early. I have only had mammograms, and never heard of thermography, but found out it is much more accurate to detect early cells that may be cancerous.
Unfortunately this is misinformation and potentially harmful.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consu...-screening-thermogram-no-substitute-mammogram

”The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reminding you that mammography (low-dose X-ray imaging of the breast) is still the most effective primary breast cancer screening test.

”The FDA has received reports from health care providers and patients that some health centers are providing information that can mislead patients into believing thermography, a type of test that shows patterns of heat on or near the surface of the body, is a proven alternative to mammography. But the FDA is not aware of any scientific evidence to support these claims.

Thermography has not been shown to be effective as a standalone test for either breast cancer screening or diagnosis in detecting early stage breast cancer. Mammography is still the most effective primary screening method for detecting breast cancer in its early, most treatable stages.”

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/909554

”these devices have been cleared for marketing by the FDA only for use with another screening or diagnostic test, such as mammography, not for use as a stand-alone diagnostic tool.

However, that is how thermography is being marketed by some providers — as an alternative to mammography — with sometimes disastrous consequences.

A report that was aired February 13 on the American television show Good Morning America highlighted the case of two women in California who had breast cancer that was missed by thermography. One of the patients subsequently died of the disease after believing a thermography result that showed she was disease free.”

Same thing with PAP smears, we have to stay healthy, and doing these tests regularly can hopefully lead to early detection of possible diseases.

Thanks everyone, happy 4th of july!
Just an FYI, at this point many sources indicate there is not sufficient evidence to support the thermography over mammography claim. People should definitely speak to a qualified physician before skipping their mammogram in favor of unproven technology.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consu...A mammogram (L) is an,the surface of the body

https://www.breastcancer.org/screening-testing/thermography

I had heard it could be used with mammography, not in place of. I could be wrong though.

Due to family history, I get a 3D mammogram (which is the only type of mammogram done at my local hospital) and an MRI. I'm on a 6 month schedule: MRI in February and Mammogram in August so I'm doing something and being seen every 6 months. I haven't heard of thermography. I wonder if insurance covers it? For me, my insurance covers mammogram but I've been denied for MRI so that's all on me and it's not cheap.

Very first article that shows up is this….
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/breast-cancer-screening-thermogram-no-substitute-

“The FDA has received reports from health care providers and patients that some health centers are providing information that can mislead patients into believing thermography, a type of test that shows patterns of heat on or near the surface of the body, is a proven alternative to mammography. But the FDA is not aware of any scientific evidence to support these claims.”

As a 6 year breast cancer survivor, I’ll stick with my mammograms. 👍

I'm seeing some of the best in the US for BRCA2 and am on the every six months Mammo them MRI schedule and no-one mentioned this new thing so while it could be helpful to add in it would be unwise to do it in place of either the above. I ran into something similar with the new out of pocket cancer screening blood tests when I asked, in particular for Pancreatic but it supposedly helps flag many cancers, or so they say/hope. It is too early for established medical professionals to say if it the blood test works or not so the regular tests are what Dr's and Insurance want to see. It was explained that, therefore, if you get a bad result you would still need to wait to get the "acceptable" sorts of tests to trigger an OK for surgery and in some areas there are very long waits for Mammos and MRIs. Also, what if it misses something? So I would definitely not skip anything Dr's recommend. My Dr said we could talk about adding it if I want but a bad idea for in place of until it becomes acceptable, every moment counts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter