There's No Place Like Home......

Wow, I didn't know they did opening ceremonies either. I may have to try and see that.

Yes, that is a great comparison between Gran Fiesta and DL Pirates. Hello all you people eating!!

"It's like It's a Small World… yet different" Yup, it must be since I will actually ride this.

I admit I very rarely try on Disney hats because... how many people have worn those hats? If I do, it's from the bottom..

Don't you wish you could bottle up whatever it is Disney has that you could break out whenever the kids start fighting?

Maelstrom. :( It amazes me how much this ride genuinely means (meant) to people. I am so sad to see it go, and they absolutely better find a new home for the way too excited creepy fish kid.

I did the same thing and hung out in the "Norway town" much longer than normal. But of course still ran past the movie.

I love this trip report so far! Your family is so adorable! :)
Thank you so much!!! I am so happy to have you follow along :goodvibes
Wow, I didn't know they did opening ceremonies either. I may have to try and see that.
HA!! Try not to set your expectations too high....it's probably comparable to your rainy day substitute parade at MK :rolleyes1
Yes, that is a great comparison between Gran Fiesta and DL Pirates. Hello all you people eating!!
Yes and yes! :wave2:
"It's like It's a Small World… yet different" Yup, it must be since I will actually ride this.
lol.....
I admit I very rarely try on Disney hats because... how many people have worn those hats? If I do, it's from the bottom..
well now that you have brought that up....no more of the mexican hat wearing tradition for us lol :crazy2:
Don't you wish you could bottle up whatever it is Disney has that you could break out whenever the kids start fighting?
yeah, or we could just live at Disney and be happy all the time :upsidedow
Maelstrom. :( It amazes me how much this ride genuinely means (meant) to people. I am so sad to see it go, and they absolutely better find a new home for the way too excited creepy fish kid.
oh I do hope so! :goodvibes
I did the same thing and hung out in the "Norway town" much longer than normal. But of course still ran past the movie.
HA! :thumbsup2

"San.....Ni.....Ichi"

After our mid morning snack we made our way to the next country which happened to be China.

The kids went straight for the puppets. Cory has one of these somewhere in his room from a previous trip. No telling where it is hiding!

After spending what we felt was adequate time in this particular country we say our goodbyes and moved along.

On our way to Germany we came across a few of our duck and bird friends.....

Syd immediately took to her new hobby of duck calling.

We then made our way into the Germany pavilion. This has become one of my favorites. It's just amazing!!

We window shopped through the connecting stores and pondered over buying a pickle ornament but decided against it in the end. I would love to be able to afford one of the hand carved Cuckoo clocks though.

We stopped only for a moment in Italy just because I love it so and I have to walk all the way through to the back of this pavilion, for no particular reason at all. I love Italy....it's my favorite!!

We then made our way to America and at this point of the day the sun was really starting to beat down on us and we were getting zapped of energy.

Yeah, it was about that hot.

But not to worry because DH came to the rescue! This would be our first American Dream experience and it looked amazingly wonderful at this very moment.

Everyone grabbed their respective straws and we shared. It was fantastic!! One thing however we quickly noticed was how thick the slushy and ice cream are in comparison to the strength of the straws. I giggled as I remembered my good DIS friend Rob found himself in this exact dilemma with his first American Dream snack experience. To top it off we knew that Voices of Liberty were starting soon and did not want to miss it! At the rate that we were frantically trying to enjoy this tasty treat through straws it looked as if we were going to have to choose between the show and the snack. And then my 8 year old had a fantastic idea! DH ran and grabbed a few plastic spoons and we ate the treat instead of drinking it lol. What a concept!! I am sure that normal people figure this out a lot sooner than we did lol!! Better late than never though right?!

We were able to finish our treat and headed in to the nice, inviting AC and found a spot to enjoy Voices of Liberty. They are so wonderful to listen too and I cannot imagine a trip though World Showcase without seeing a show!!

As we left and headed toward Japan we must have had impeccable timing because as we got closer and closer to this country we could hear the beating of the ever famous Matsuriza drums!

We had not been able to catch and enjoy one of their performances since our very first trip to the world in 2011. It was nice to see them again!!

After the performance we still had a bit of time to kill before our lunch reservations so we decided to walk through Mitsukoshi. This store is huge and a great time killer!!

One of the first things I noticed when we entered were Monchhichis!!! I have not seen these since I was a little girl lol! GAH!! They are as cute as I remembered.

After browsing around a bit we ended up over by the pick a pearl area of the store. We usually zip right through this whole area so it was no surprise to me that the family had no idea about this place so I explained how it works.

Lucky for us at the time we walked up, 3 people were picking out their oysters. The CM in charge was really enjoying her job of helping them pick out the best ones and praising them for their choices. She also wanted a lot of audience participation which made it all that more fun for everyone! She wanted us all to count down from three in Japanese as she opened each one to build up the presentation of the pearl inside. The only thing was not any of us knew Japanese. No worries though as she gave us a crash course for dummies.

She explained an easy English way to remember each number starting with 3. She made a gesture to the ceiling and said "san" like the sun. Then for 2 she pointed to her knee and said "ni". For 1 she made a scratching gesture and said "ichi". There you have it folks. We all felt confident in participating in the Japanese pick a pearl countdown!! She still made the gestures as we counted "san, ni, ichi" and then sliced open the first oyster. The kids were loving this whole thing. And we learned something new so it was educational too!!

After the pick a pearl we made our way around the rest of this gigantic store. I noticed these cats everywhere!! Must be a thing. At one point the kids were getting a bit restless and started getting a little playfully rough with each other, which would have been fine outside, but not inside a store full of jam packed breakable items that momma did not want to have to purchase if broken. I was getting a little frustrated and I was trying my best to corral my kiddos with no success when finally I blurted out to them "you have to the count of ichi to stop and get over here!" Immediately the kids froze and after a moment of us all realizing that momma has risen her voice in public we then all realized what I had blurted out and we all began to laugh....hysterically.

We found a way out of the store and after we had all caught our breath and wiped our eyes from tears of laughter we realized that this new language of counting would be a running joke for the rest of the week. We stopped for one last picture before heading off to lunch. And yes we told the kids to smile on the count of ichi......yes we are cheesy and proud of it lol!!!

Haha, I bet the puppet comes to life at night. Now try to get to sleep. :stir:

Looks like Cory's got the crane down perfectly. Wax on, wax off.

Oh GOD when I saw that American Dream I had flashbacks. It is SOOOO thick. Clearly I am not normal as I did not even think of using a spoon. And that dilema of finishing or seeing Voices. I really wish I had thought of the spoon. Because... THE VOICES OF LIBERTY ARE THE BEST THING EVER!!!

I'm still in awe over the size of Mitsukoshi. They must be paying some serious rent. :scratchin

I love all of World Showcase, but there is something special about the CM's in Japan. They are just the absolute sweetest in all the land. The Pick a Pearl CM especially is always so enthusiastic. I love watching that.

"you have to the count of ichi to stop and get over here!" :rotfl2: Informative AND effective.

ACH you found the Monchichi's again. The last time I was there I wanted one and they were gone :(

Haha, I bet the puppet comes to life at night. Now try to get to sleep. :stir:
Rob...don't make me have Disney personally deliver Small World dolls to your address:scratchin
Looks like Cory's got the crane down perfectly. Wax on, wax off.
Ha! Yes that movie was a favorite of his a few years ago:thumbsup2
Oh GOD when I saw that American Dream I had flashbacks. It is SOOOO thick. Clearly I am not normal as I did not even think of using a spoon. And that dilema of finishing or seeing Voices. I really wish I had thought of the spoon. Because... THE VOICES OF LIBERTY ARE THE BEST THING EVER!!!
Yes they are and I seriously thought of your slushy experience while we were enjoying ours :rotfl2:
I'm still in awe over the size of Mitsukoshi. They must be paying some serious rent. :scratchin
yes I agree
I love all of World Showcase, but there is something special about the CM's in Japan. They are just the absolute sweetest in all the land. The Pick a Pearl CM especially is always so enthusiastic. I love watching that.
it was really neat for sure and I agree with you that especially lately it seems that CM's at WS seem to still have that magic that I have kind of seen other CM's lose lately :confused3
"you have to the count of ichi to stop and get over here!" :rotfl2: Informative AND effective.
lol...thank you:goodvibes
ACH you found the Monchichi's again. The last time I was there I wanted one and they were gone :(
HA! Yeah I was super excited to see them there. That's stinks that they were gone when you went though! Maybe next time!!! :goodvibes

Lunch at Tokyo Dining

The time had come for our lunch reservation. There are so many great places to eat in Epcot and I think we changed our minds about a million times. In the end we decided to go with a new restaurant that we had not been to before. Tokyo Dining!

The check in podium is conveniently located at the bottom of the huge wooden staircase in Japan which also happened to be right by the store that we had just come from. We checked in and were told to head upstairs to the restaurant.

We were excited to be trying something new this year!!

The view from the top of the stairs was fantastic too!!!

The kiddos took a seat and waited while we checked in with the hostess. Both Tokyo Dining and Teppan Edo share a waiting area.

This restaurant was very quaint and modern looking.

Almost immediately we were seated and greeted by our server. She was a bit hard to understand but very sweet. I am sure she thought the same thing with our family and our heavy American southern accents lol. I had done my homework beforehand and showed everyone pictures of menu items so that when we got here they would have an idea of what they were ordering. Like any decent DIS fanatic would!

Within no time at all the food had arrived.....

DH and I went with the same thing. A Bento Box. This included Sliced Sirloin steak, California Roll, Tempura Shrimp and Veggies, and Sashimi. It also was served with Sukiyaki beef rice. It was all really good however neither of us were a big fan of the Sashimi....just too raw for our taste. But still very very good!

I cannot for the life of me remember what the name of this was but Cory was very happy lol. It included Sirloin steak, tempura shrimp, veggies, and also the Sukiyaki brown rice.

As as for Sydney she went with the kids order of Teriyaki Chicken. This included the beef rice, veggies, and California roll. Plus the most awesome thing of all is that it was served in a monorail!!!! How do I get my hands on one of these?! I would literally eat every one of my meals this way lol!!!

The kids really enjoyed this meal and the food, as we did also.

It was then time to order dessert since we were on the dining plan. It is so hard to make room for dessert....

Sydney went with the basic vanilla soft serve. No complaints.

Cory and DH both went with the green tea cheesecake. It was different. Not bad but different.

And I went with the chocolate ginger cake. Also not terrible, just different. Our server happened to notice our anniversary pins and was so wonderful to have the staff come out and sing a happy anniversary song for us in Japanese! It was so thoughtful!!

And they made each of us a paper ring to wear!! So very cool. And thoughtful!!!

After finishing our lunch we headed back out into the world. The heat hit us instantly like a ton of bricks. Yuck!! The family got distracted by a nearby koi pond.

After watching the goldfish swim around a bit it was time to move on. The heat and humidity combined with a full lunch belly was starting to take it's toll on us.

It would have been wonderful to spend as much time in the remaining countries as we did with all of the others, but unfortunately it was not working out with this heat. We blazed right though Morocco.

and France.....

and I think we all thought we might die from heat stroke walking over the bridge from France to the connecting UK. As tired and hot as we were I had to make one stop.

There was just too much irony here to not get a picture!!

And I am so very sad to say that I barely even remember running though Canada on our way out of WS. So sad. Canada I do love you so!! Or as others would say.....CANIDIA!!!!!

Finally we had made it out of the Florida death heat and found refuge in Club Cool!

We all took a few minutes to sample our favorites....for obvious reasons we skipped the Beverly, but it is always fun to catch the expressions of others who have never tried the Beverly...never gets old!!!

It was getting to that point where we knew we needed to take a break and get back to the resort. We had one more stop on the way out and so to innoventions we went for a one on one time with Mickey and Goofy for a Disney Visa photo shoot. We stopped by to pick up our complimentary 5X7 and then we were on a bus and headed back to CSR.

HA! Yeah I was super excited to see them there. That's stinks that they were gone when you went though! Maybe next time!!! :goodvibes

Excuse to go back yay :lmao: I still have my childhood monchichi's though they're so cool

Luvin the monorail dish as well

I love that T-shirt with the phone booth on it. It's so cute and that's the second time today I saw it on a TR.

Fun update. You got some great pics of your kids, who are too cute.

That red, white, and blue slushi looks so yummy. I have never had one, but it always looks so darn good. It's officially going on the bucket list.

Voices of Liberty is definitely a must do. Love them.

I love the ring they made for you at Tokyo dining. They are very sweet there. I love that monorail plate. It's so neat.

I honestly never clued in that there were 2 separate dining areas in Japan. I probably thought "Teppan Edo" and "Tokyo Dining" were the same thing.

Um... I don't think I'd even care what the food was if it was served in a Monorail!!!! I need one of those... BADLY! OMG!

Oh yeah, as bad as the heat can be, coming into it from a nicely air conditioned place somehow makes it all the more painful. :crazy2:

Hahaha, that's an awesome photo with the phone booth and your matching shirt. Now you should make a shirt from that photo and get another picture on the next visit. And so on, and so on.

CANADIA!!!!!!! :love:

What a racket with your luggage. Although I try to be nice and understanding, I may have uttered some un-Disney-like phrases if that happened to me... :furious:

I'm still not sold on the "new" Test Track. I still love the ride, but I'm not enthralled over the "build a car" thing. We only rode it ONCE last trip due to the crowds and the wait times - and we didn't even build a car as we were riding as single riders. Still, I love the zooming at the end of the ride so it remains on my favorites list.

I'm glad you were able to ride the Maelstrom before it was no more. I liked that ride and my sister really liked it - she was sad when it closed.

I love that you ate at Tokyo Dining! We're trying to branch out on our next trip and I booked lunch there. We both love Japanese food and adore sushi, so we thought it would be a good choice. Your review makes me more excited about my choice! :thumbsup2

Excuse to go back yay :lmao: I still have my childhood monchichi's though they're so cool

Luvin the monorail dish as well
One always needs to have an excuse to go back lol!!
I love that T-shirt with the phone booth on it. It's so cute and that's the second time today I saw it on a TR.
Ha! I got it at Modcloth. That is so funny that you saw the exact same shirt on another TR! Obviously someone saw it too and thought...Disney...EPCOT:cool1:
Fun update. You got some great pics of your kids, who are too cute.
Aw thank you so much!!! :goodvibes
That red, white, and blue slushi looks so yummy. I have never had one, but it always looks so darn good. It's officially going on the bucket list.
Oh that was my thinking exactly! Too many trips to WS without making time for the American Dream....it was time to right that wrong lol!
Voices of Liberty is definitely a must do. Love them.
Oh I agree they are fantastic!!!!:cloud9:
I love the ring they made for you at Tokyo dining. They are very sweet there. I love that monorail plate. It's so neat.
Yes they were really great and we loved the rings too! Yeah I might need to find out where I can get my own kid monorail plate to eat from:rolleyes1
I honestly never clued in that there were 2 separate dining areas in Japan. I probably thought "Teppan Edo" and "Tokyo Dining" were the same thing.
Ha! Don't feel bad Rob I was the same way until I forced myself to explore countries that we don't normally spend time in. Just keeping with the theme of this trip! :thumbsup2 Before this year Japan was that country with the cool drums and yummy snow cones lol :lmao:
Um... I don't think I'd even care what the food was if it was served in a Monorail!!!! I need one of those... BADLY! OMG!
Thank you! I was totally jealous of the kids monorail plate! Hello I am obsessed where can I get one lol!!!
Oh yeah, as bad as the heat can be, coming into it from a nicely air conditioned place somehow makes it all the more painful. :crazy2:
oh my goodness it literally sucks the life right out of you lol:headache:
Hahaha, that's an awesome photo with the phone booth and your matching shirt. Now you should make a shirt from that photo and get another picture on the next visit. And so on, and so on.
Oh my goodness Rob you are crazy :upsidedow
CANADIA!!!!!!! :love:
I thought you might like that ;) Seriously if I ever run into you in the world I will not shout you name but rather you will hear the high pitch screaming of CANADIA!!!! and you will know it's me :wave2:
What a racket with your luggage. Although I try to be nice and understanding, I may have uttered some un-Disney-like phrases if that happened to me... :furious:
Ha! It's always so much easier and more pleasant to write about months after it happened. But trust me I was having some not so Mickey Mouse thoughts running through my head at the time lol :eek:
I'm still not sold on the "new" Test Track. I still love the ride, but I'm not enthralled over the "build a car" thing. We only rode it ONCE last trip due to the crowds and the wait times - and we didn't even build a car as we were riding as single riders. Still, I love the zooming at the end of the ride so it remains on my favorites list.
Yeah I'm kind of in between with TRON Track. We still love the ride itself but the entire make your own car and the time it takes to walk in and actually get on the darn ride is almost unbearable. :headache:
I'm glad you were able to ride the Maelstrom before it was no more. I liked that ride and my sister really liked it - she was sad when it closed.
It's going to take some getting used to. I might have to bypass Norway all together for a few trips just because I think it might be too much to bear :sad1:
I love that you ate at Tokyo Dining! We're trying to branch out on our next trip and I booked lunch there. We both love Japanese food and adore sushi, so we thought it would be a good choice. Your review makes me more excited about my choice! :thumbsup2
Oh I think you will really enjoy it then!! It really was good, the food is great and lunch is the best because of the view!! Be sure to request to sit by the window :goodvibes

No Time to Say Hello, Goodbye I’m Late, I’m Late, I’m Late!!!!

After getting back to CSR the first thing the kids wanted to do was go swimming at the dig site pool. So with a quick change we headed toward the Mayan Ruins for a quick dip in the pool.

This was one thing that we did love about the location of our room. We were literally right in between El Centro and The Dig Site. Considering how spread out this resort is we felt very lucky to be in the location that we were, especially for paying a standard rate.

The kids loved the theme of this pool and the slide was a favorite. If I remember correctly this slide is the longest of all of the resorts? Either way it was awesome according to them!

After our swim we headed back to the room to clean up and rest before heading out again. We had dinner reservations at the Poly that we did not want to miss and left just as the sun was setting. This was our view just as we were crossing the bridge to El Centro and the bus. WOW just WOW!!!

We had no problem getting a bus and were making good time. For some reason we always end up running late when we have dinner at the Polynesian and it usually always ends up with us running to check in lol. Well maybe not last year, I think we were on time, but the year before that we ended up being super late because we were stuck on a monorail because a pesky squirrel decided to run the track of the monorail and the poor driver felt bad and did not want to run him over. Poor little guy! So she drove the monorail at squirrel running speed!!! This caused all of us to get stuck until they could clear the traffic....it's true you can youtube it lol....anyways...Unfortunately this time would be no different….there’s some more of that foreshadowing folks…..

You see as we drove away and headed to MK I noticed that there seemed to be quite a lot of people headed to MK for this time in the day, and they were all wearing costumes……CRAP! It then dawned on me that tonight was a MNSSHP and it was nearing 7:00pm. I could just kick myself for not thinking of this ahead of time and having us leave earlier than we did. I should have known better :sad2:

As we got off the very crowded bus it was just as I had feared. Bottleneck central as hundreds of people tried to get in for the party and twice as many getting kicked out (well not literally kicked out but politely asked to leave). The line for the resort monorail was past the resort boat docks, there were people everywhere. And that monorail line was not moving either.

The boat seemed to be our best chance to getting there even remotely on time. I do believe we even considered walking to the Poly from here but in the end decided that would be an awfully long walk and no guarantee that it would be any faster. We slowly inched ahead in the resort boat launch line. It seemed as though they were only running one friendship boat back and forth lol. Just our luck. They did at some point radio for more to come. The monorail line still was not moving and growing by the second….not sure what the issue was there but it was just a big ole mess as people starting piling into the boat line since the monorail seem to not be moving.

Meanwhile we frantically tried to google and call a direct line to Ohana to let them know we would be late. Have you ever tried to call a Disney restaurant directly? Well we were having the worst luck and every number we found and called would just redirect us back to the call center in who knows what city. It was so frustrating! We never did end up getting in touch but we did talk to a reservation CM to reassured us that it would be okay if we were a little late and that they would not cancel our reservation.

Finally we had made it on a boat and made our way around to the Poly. We hit the ground running off the dock and tried to find our way through all the construction walls to Ohana. Oh my goodness I had never in my life seem so many fake walls with palm trees and tropical vegetation pasted on them lol!!

I am going to have to stop here for now since photo bucket is not cooperating. More to come. Sorry for the cliff hanger….do we get to eat……lol?!

Isn't CSR massive???? I've never stayed but I did visit, and while absolutely beautiful, wow, so big. That's great that your room worked out.

"For some reason we always end up running late when we have dinner at the Polynesian" C'mon Jenn, JUST at the Poly? :rolleyes1

Don't feel too bad. Party season throws so may additional wrenches into the mix, it's almost impossible to keep it all straight. What works perfectly well most of the time just does not September through December.

Ground floor, brave. LOL. I just think of snakes sneaking in. Nice room.

WOW! The group that gathered waiting to get into the park. Glad they let everyone in.

Love the photobomb while waiting for TGMR.

I ate in a limo at Sci-Fi. LOL.

Too bad the donut dessert was not good, it looked appealing in the photo.

I would have said something about the luggage and having to go get it.

Great pics around Epcot.

Tokyo Dining is a good place to eat. Those kids plates were $49 when they came out, not sure if they sell them or not.

I have to remember to do that Visa 5X7.

Love taking boats at Disney. If I ever move down there I would love that job.

All caught up again.

I need to catch up better, but couldn't help commenting on your frustrating trip to the Poly. Ugh! Sometimes trying to use Disney transportation to get to any of the resorts on the monorail loop or WL is just SO frustrating. I don't think I've ever made it to any reservation on time.

I hope you are able to get checked into dinner without any problems.

Love your pics of CSR. Such a gorgeous resort!

I'm glad you liked your location at CSR! We also lucked out when we stayed and got practically the perfect location based on my multiple requests. They do seem to pay attention to those requests! ::yes::

Although I wasn't enamored with CSR, I did LOVE that pool! It was one of the first vacations where we visited the pool more than once. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Ah, the joys of Disney transportation. :headache: I really like using Disney transport, however, it can be really frustrating when you're trying to get somewhere by a specific time. Throw in a special ticketed event and extra crowds and it becomes a major headache. I am excited by the fact that the bus depots at the resorts now have those screens that estimate when your bus is coming - nothing was more frustrating to me than wondering when the bus I wanted might arrive!

I don't feel bad that our break in trips meant we missed most of the Poly construction. I hope your dinner makes up for the crazy journey to get there! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter