There is a serial killer loose in our town! See post #84 for update

Did you see this?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/06/south.carolina.killings/index.html
GAFFNEY, South Carolina (CNN) -- Police in Gaston County, North Carolina, shot and killed a robbery suspect early Monday, and then called in police from South Carolina who have been chasing a serial killer.
Police say the murder scenes are linked and they are searching for a man resembling this sketch.

Police say the murder scenes are linked and they are searching for a man resembling this sketch.

There was "evidence in regard to the man that was shot," said Capt. Joe Ramey of the Gaston County Police Department.

Ramey did not give specifics, and said he could not state for certain whether the suspect had a link to the serial killer case.

"We saw evidence they needed to know about," Ramey said.

Gaston County is about 33 miles northeast of Gaffney, South Carolina. Police say a serial killer in the Gaffney area has killed five people since late June.

Police in Cherokee County, which includes Gaffney, had a basic description of the killer and the car he may be driving.

In Gaston County in the early morning hours Monday, "there was a reported burglary" at a home, said Ramey. "Officers attempted to arrest an individual with outstanding warrants." The individual resisted and shot an officer. The injured officer and another officer returned fire, killing the suspect, Ramey said.

South Carolina police are investigating whether the shooting is linked to the serial killer case.

The killer's latest victim was 15-year-old Abby Tyler, who was shot last week and died Saturday. Her father, Stephen Tyler, 48, was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting in their family-run furniture and appliance store.

As Gaffney residents mourned the Tylers over the weekend, they also had words of warning for the man terrorizing the community.

"If he comes to me, face to face, I'm ready, I'm loaded, and I'm aimed for him," said Sarah Banister, neighbor of one of the killer's victims.

"I'm afraid for my life," said Robby Banister, her husband. "It's going to be kind of like a dog fight. I'm telling you: I'm going to win."

In an interview Monday with CNN's "American Morning," Cherokee County Sheriff Bill Blanton said investigators have determined "through evidence" that the five killings are linked. Authorities are not giving details about the evidence.

"We don't have a current motive or connection between the murders," said Blanton. "With a community this small, it's very possible I knew all the victims and it's possible that all the victims knew each other. But we don't have any information right now that links the killer to [them]."

Police have released a sketch which they say is their best guess at the killer's appearance, based on witness reports. He is identified as a white male, approximately 6 feet 2 inches tall, with salt-and-pepper hair.

Authorities believe he may be driving a 1991 to 1994 Ford Explorer, possibly "goldish-tan or champagne" in color, said Blanton.

"We're focusing on anything that even looks like a Ford Explorer," said Blanton. Witnesses have said the killer appears to weigh about 250 pounds, "so we're saying probably 230 to 250," he said.

The killer was possibly wearing a ball cap, but his clothes at each scene have been different, Blanton added.

The first shooting occurred June 27, when peach farmer Kline W. Cash, 63, was killed. His wife found him dead in their home, the sheriff's office said.

Blanton said Cash's home may have been robbed.

Four days later, the bound and shot bodies of 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, were found in Linder's home, where she lived alone.

Blanton said authorities are still trying to determine if anything was taken from that home.

Leave has been canceled for all members of the police department and the sheriff's department, said their respective chiefs.
advertisement

About 100 investigators from North and South Carolina are working the case, Blanton said.

Asked how residents can try to stay safe, Blanton said, "Generally it's the same information just a crime prevention officer would use. People need to check on their neighbors, especially family, loved ones that live alone or elderly that live together. Travel in at least groups of two or more. But I've noticed the community is concerned and have a right to be."

Did you see this?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/07/06/south.carolina.killings/index.html
GAFFNEY, South Carolina (CNN) -- Police in Gaston County, North Carolina, shot and killed a robbery suspect early Monday, and then called in police from South Carolina who have been chasing a serial killer.

There was "evidence in regard to the man that was shot," said Capt. Joe Ramey of the Gaston County Police Department.

Ramey did not give specifics, and said he could not state for certain whether the suspect had a link to the serial killer case.

"We saw evidence they needed to know about," Ramey said.

Gaston County is about 33 miles northeast of Gaffney, South Carolina. Police say a serial killer in the Gaffney area has killed five people since late June.

Police in Cherokee County, which includes Gaffney, had a basic description of the killer and the car he may be driving.

In Gaston County in the early morning hours Monday, "there was a reported burglary" at a home, said Ramey. "Officers attempted to arrest an individual with outstanding warrants." The individual resisted and shot an officer. The injured officer and another officer returned fire, killing the suspect, Ramey said.

South Carolina police are investigating whether the shooting is linked to the serial killer case.

The killer's latest victim was 15-year-old Abby Tyler, who was shot last week and died Saturday. Her father, Stephen Tyler, 48, was pronounced dead at the scene of the shooting in their family-run furniture and appliance store.

As Gaffney residents mourned the Tylers over the weekend, they also had words of warning for the man terrorizing the community.

"If he comes to me, face to face, I'm ready, I'm loaded, and I'm aimed for him," said Sarah Banister, neighbor of one of the killer's victims.

"I'm afraid for my life," said Robby Banister, her husband. "It's going to be kind of like a dog fight. I'm telling you: I'm going to win."

In an interview Monday with CNN's "American Morning," Cherokee County Sheriff Bill Blanton said investigators have determined "through evidence" that the five killings are linked. Authorities are not giving details about the evidence.

"We don't have a current motive or connection between the murders," said Blanton. "With a community this small, it's very possible I knew all the victims and it's possible that all the victims knew each other. But we don't have any information right now that links the killer to [them]."

Police have released a sketch which they say is their best guess at the killer's appearance, based on witness reports. He is identified as a white male, approximately 6 feet 2 inches tall, with salt-and-pepper hair.

Authorities believe he may be driving a 1991 to 1994 Ford Explorer, possibly "goldish-tan or champagne" in color, said Blanton.

"We're focusing on anything that even looks like a Ford Explorer," said Blanton. Witnesses have said the killer appears to weigh about 250 pounds, "so we're saying probably 230 to 250," he said.

The killer was possibly wearing a ball cap, but his clothes at each scene have been different, Blanton added.

The first shooting occurred June 27, when peach farmer Kline W. Cash, 63, was killed. His wife found him dead in their home, the sheriff's office said.

Blanton said Cash's home may have been robbed.

Four days later, the bound and shot bodies of 83-year-old Hazel Linder and her 50-year-old daughter, Gena Linder Parker, were found in Linder's home, where she lived alone.

Blanton said authorities are still trying to determine if anything was taken from that home.

Leave has been canceled for all members of the police department and the sheriff's department, said their respective chiefs.
advertisement

About 100 investigators from North and South Carolina are working the case, Blanton said.

Asked how residents can try to stay safe, Blanton said, "Generally it's the same information just a crime prevention officer would use. People need to check on their neighbors, especially family, loved ones that live alone or elderly that live together. Travel in at least groups of two or more. But I've noticed the community is concerned and have a right to be."

I heard about the Mt Holly shooting of the officer- he was shot in the foot and treated and released from the hosp- and the killing of the suspect. They didn't say anything then about this and the Gaffney murders potentilly being related. I hope they are and they got him.

When I saw this on the net earlier I was so relieved. But boy did I get scared when I read the warrants they were trying to serve on him were from Lincoln County - that county borders mine. A friend of mine who lives there has a crazy ex who also lives there and I kept thinking what if it was him.

I'm so glad the town can rest again but my thoughts and prayers still go to the families who were torn apart by this animal.

Glad it is over. I hope all of my neighbors in Cherokee, Cleveland, Rutherford, and York County will be able to sleep well tonight. I hope this brings peace to the victims families. The dispatchers in Cherokee County did a great job taking calls from concerned citizens and passing the info on to Law Enforcement. Glad the officer from Gaston County is going to be fine. Gaston County Law Enforcement did a wonderful job in an awful sistuation. All of the Law Enforcement involved did a great job. I hope they all can get a good night's sleep for the first time in 10 days. Thank God it is over!!!!

They had on the news tonight, that he had a rap sheet 25 pages long!
They are demanding an investigation on why this man was even out on the streets.

I'm very happy they got him, but it's scary that he was found just a few miles from where I live.

I'm very happy they got him, but it's scary that he was found just a few miles from where I live.

That is what a lady I work with said. That house wasn't far from her at all.

One news report said the house was empty while another said the 2 people lived in that house. Why can't they all be on the same page?

I was just in swansburro NC from July 3-6th visiting my grandma and heard this. What town was this guy found?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter