• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There is a new thread:* Don't post here* 2014 BC&YC FAQ *MAY-SEPT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sure can still buy disney dollars on Main Street at guest services and downtown disney. Not sure about anywhere else.

Last time we were at the beach club it was difficult to find a life vest so we asked a staff member and they said if its on or by a lounger and not on a child you are free to take it. Is that still the case?

Fred the Baker!!!

I worked for Dunkin Donuts for 5 years and the owner of our store looked like Fred. People would ask him to say "Time to Make the Donuts!" and yes, we made them at midnight.

For those of you who think this post is :offtopic: well, it is! But we were on the verge of slipping to Page 2 of the resort thread!

YIKES!

EEK !!!!!!!!!
Lucky you were able to divert that disaster from happening!!!!!!!:rotfl2::rotfl:

:offtopic: Does anyone know if you can still get Disney Dollars?

Yes, I believe you can but Ninja Mom dollars are a much better buy IMHO. You can get Disney dollars at the exchange rate of 1 US dollar for each Disney Dollar BUT Ninja Mom dollars are going at the exchange rate of 2 NM dollars for each US Dollar.

Now it's true that Disney Dollars are welcome in way more places than Ninja Mom Dollars (way more) but who can resist a bargain!?

Shall I print you up some Ninja Mom Dollars? I'll be stopping at the Mint of Ninja Mom (NM's printer) later on today and I can whip you up a batch.

~NM, whose children don't think that money grows on trees, they think it comes out of her pockets, continuously, and in LARGE quantities.

You sure can still buy disney dollars on Main Street at guest services and downtown disney. Not sure about anywhere else.

Last time we were at the beach club it was difficult to find a life vest so we asked a staff member and they said if its on or by a lounger and not on a child you are free to take it. Is that still the case?

Yes I believe so. It sounds like the chair piggies at resorts everywhere (not just the Beach and Yacht Clubs) are branching out and hogging the children's life jackets.

The other thing that you can do is just duct tape the child to another child that is wearing one of those life jackets. Sharing is an excellent life lesson for children to learn and it might be good that it starts with something as important as a life jacket. Who knows! The kids might actually become friends and start swimming in the same direction. At worst they will oppose each other, try to swim in different directions and tire themselves out enough to need a nap. Either way it's a win win for the parents, who probably need a nap themselves.

;)
~NM

Yes, I believe you can but Ninja Mom dollars are a much better buy IMHO. You can get Disney dollars at the exchange rate of 1 US dollar for each Disney Dollar BUT Ninja Mom dollars are going at the exchange rate of 2 NM dollars for each US Dollar.

Now it's true that Disney Dollars are welcome in way more places than Ninja Mom Dollars (way more) but who can resist a bargain!?

Shall I print you up some Ninja Mom Dollars? I'll be stopping at the Mint of Ninja Mom (NM's printer) later on today and I can whip you up a batch.

~NM, whose children don't think that money grows on trees, they think it comes out of her pockets, continuously, and in LARGE quantities.

Yes I believe so. It sounds like the chair piggies at resorts everywhere (not just the Beach and Yacht Clubs) are branching out and hogging the children's life jackets.

The other thing that you can do is just duct tape the child to another child that is wearing one of those life jackets. Sharing is an excellent life lesson for children to learn and it might be good that it starts with something as important as a life jacket. Who knows! The kids might actually become friends and start swimming in the same direction. At worst they will oppose each other, try to swim in different directions and tire themselves out enough to need a nap. Either way it's a win win for the parents, who probably need a nap themselves.

;)
~NM

I just spit out my coffee covering my computer screen as I read this!!! :rotfl2:

Hi Dee

Please add us to the Be our Guest list--YC from 9/1 to 9/7. We had booked the WL on a bounce back as my husband and son really wanted to stay there. But now with the pool closure at the WL, everyone voted to return to the YC and since it is my favorite, I was not about to argue :thumbsup2 Looking forward to SAB and a
Sunken Treasure!

Hi Dee

Please add us to the Be our Guest list--YC from 9/1 to 9/7. We had booked the WL on a bounce back as my husband and son really wanted to stay there. But now with the pool closure at the WL, everyone voted to return to the YC and since it is my favorite, I was not about to argue :thumbsup2 Looking forward to SAB and a
Sunken Treasure!

Ditto for us! Just got off the phone and changed to the BC. Please add us to the list. Dec. 23 - Jan 1:cool1:

There seems to be a lot of August people here so maybe I can get some advice/insight from people who have done August before. I am starting to get a little concerned about the heat/humidity/storms. We went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game last night. It was hot in Pittsburgh (89). It was humid. We had a pretty strong storm. My kids acted like it was the worst day EVER. They whined, they freaked out about the storm:scared1:, they dragged around not wanting to walk. A good time was NOT had by all!!:headache: It's going to be a lot more hot and humid at Disney when we go in August. We will probably have nasty storms every day. Every other time we have done Disney is early to mid June. That is my only frame of reference. Is it worse than June? The only reason we picked August is because of a very "magical" deal we got that allowed us to switch from POR to BC. Now I am thinking maybe I should postpone until November even though I would lose the magical deal and would need to book POR?
Please convince me August will be ok and we can still have a great trip!!!

When my son was growing up and I was still a single parent, our trips to WDW (and to the dark side US/IOA) were always in late August. There was that one week when all the summer camps had closed and the school year didn't start until after Labor Day.

We definitely experienced hot and humid weather but I knew that going in. I was prepared for the daily short rain showers (disposable ponchos) or we just dressed to get wet (bathing suits, quick drying swim shorts, and tevas). Only once did we have to seek shelter from a storm and all it did was change our dinner plans from DTD to the hotel.

It can be done but you need to plan accordingly - lots of water (and for some reason - soft serve ice cream made me feel better), alternating rides between those "outside", rides where you can get wet and love it, and those where you are seated indoors (for a rest and some a/c), and realizing that you can't go from rope drop to last call without exhausting yourself and your kids. Getting daily pool time, even if it's not until the evening, is a must.

Also, I don't do laundry while on vacation, so I packed double the amount of tops/shirts for the both of us. It felt great to freshen up before dinner.;)

There seems to be a lot of August people here so maybe I can get some advice/insight from people who have done August before. I am starting to get a little concerned about the heat/humidity/storms. We went to a Pittsburgh Pirates game last night. It was hot in Pittsburgh (89). It was humid. We had a pretty strong storm. My kids acted like it was the worst day EVER. They whined, they freaked out about the storm:scared1:, they dragged around not wanting to walk. A good time was NOT had by all!!:headache: It's going to be a lot more hot and humid at Disney when we go in August. We will probably have nasty storms every day. Every other time we have done Disney is early to mid June. That is my only frame of reference. Is it worse than June? The only reason we picked August is because of a very "magical" deal we got that allowed us to switch from POR to BC. Now I am thinking maybe I should postpone until November even though I would lose the magical deal and would need to book POR?

We've done summer trips in June, July and August and never really noticed much difference in the three months. It's hot and humid, usually a quick afternoon thunderstorm.

We go to the parks early, take a nice long afternoon break by the pool and head back to the parks after dinner. Drink a lot of water and take breaks and you should be fine.

Of course we're in NJ and it gets plenty hot and humid here in the summer too!

We have gone twice in August and are returning this August so it can't be that bad - at least to us. I feel like by August we get a little more used to the heat and humidity compared to the last two days we have had here (in PA).

Yes, it's hot and humid in August - not going to sugar-coat it. But we would bring water-misting fans and water. We would tour in the am, afternoon break and then return to park in evening. My two children would be exhausted at the end of the day. But they loved every minute of the trip.

Oh - and the storm last night was bad! We got it later at night and it woke both hubby & I up! We were surprised the kids slept through it.

Our first set of Magic Bands just shipped!!!!!

You can still have a great trip! I don't notice any difference between the summer months in FL. Once it gets hot and humid, it's hot and humid period. Make sure to drink plenty of water. Also, I'm going to assume that at the baseball game you were just sitting in the heat, right? At Disney you will be walking around. You will be in and out of the AC, riding on things that move (AKA feeling a breeze), you can go back to the resort and take a dip in the pool, etc. We live in NC and it's disgusting here in the summer. My kids never want to go outside, unless it's in the pool. None of them complain about the heat at Disney. I'm originally from PA so I know summer up there can be hot too. At least your kids will be sort of used to it by August, not as if you're traveling from Alaska or something lol. :) I would just go with the magical deal and have a great time!

It is just as hot in June as it is in August! All you need to do is keep to a touring plan where you go out at park opening, come back at lunch time, take naps/pool /rest and then go out again AFTER dinner... when the parks are cooler and they are also open later. After the fireworks most people clear out but that is the best time to ride the rides with ever shrinking lines. If your kids are old enough you can probably swing this schedule, and if your kids are like mine, by the time August rolls around they are living the life of Vampires by sleeping all day and staying up until late at night.

In any case it might be time for you to sit the kids down and talk to them about the facts of life at Disney ; )

To save you time I shall write out a handy dandy script that works great for Husbands as well as children.

"OK family, everybody come closer. Mommy wants to lecture, I mean talk to you about our upcoming Disney trip. Now family, you know we are going in August and it's going to be hot... BUT it's going to be A LOT OF FUN!

So here are some rules to live by. First of all there will be no whining or crying or complaining or fighting. You've seen those magical express buses that take people to Disney... right? Well they can take your sorry buns BACK to the AIRPORT if you get on Mommy's nerves!!

Everyday at 3pm there is a bus FILLED with children whose parents have kicked them out of Disney World for fighting and whining. If your eyes are quick enough you can see their tear stained faces pressed against the window as they are dragged off to the airport to be sent home. No more Disney for them! If you LISTEN carefully you can hear Daddy and Mommy (especially Mommy!) cackling with joy and laughter as they go back to the parks unencumbered by cranky children.

Cranky husbands should also know that there is a bus just for them that leaves at 3:05pm, so they better watch their attitude.

When Mommy is finally footloose and fancy free of your whining carcass she will realize that hundreds of dollars are NOT being spent on YOU for toys and snacks and bottles and bottles (3 bucks a bottle!) of Disney filtered tap water and she will RUN to the Main Street Jewelers and buy that Dooney and Bourke bag that she has always wanted.

Sometimes the Mommies don't go back, they just stay at Walt Disney World in the Beach Club Fantasy Suite where they don't have to cook or do your laundry or drive you around for hours to get to those athletic competitions where she has to use a 'porta potty" (Shudders!). The fact that Mommy ever HAD to use a porta pottie just so you could run around a ball field all weekend is enough of a reason for you to decide that you will do everything in your power to make sure Mommy has an AWESOME trip!

And here's another thought.... If Mommy has a good trip Mommy will want to go back to Walt Disney World and IF you are lucky and well behaved she might want to take you. Daddy will take one look at all the credit card charges and never want to go back again, but like they say in that movie "A Greek Wedding", "A man is the head but the woman is the neck and the neck turns the head..."

So play your cards right and behave on this Disney trip... or Mommy will just go herself and she may very well forget about you."

~NM

It is just as hot in June as it is in August! All you need to do is keep to a touring plan where you go out at park opening, come back at lunch time, take naps/pool /rest and then go out again AFTER dinner... when the parks are cooler and they are also open later. After the fireworks most people clear out but that is the best time to ride the rides with ever shrinking lines. If your kids are old enough you can probably swing this schedule, and if your kids are like mine, by the time August rolls around they are living the life of Vampires by sleeping all day and staying up until late at night.

In any case it might be time for you to sit the kids down and talk to them about the facts of life at Disney ; )

To save you time I shall write out a handy dandy script that works great for Husbands as well as children.

"OK family, everybody come closer. Mommy wants to lecture, I mean talk to you about our upcoming Disney trip. Now family, you know we are going in August and it's going to be hot... BUT it's going to be A LOT OF FUN!

So here are some rules to live by. First of all there will be no whining or crying or complaining or fighting. You've seen those magical express buses that take people to Disney... right? Well they can take your sorry buns BACK to the AIRPORT if you get on Mommy's nerves!!

Everyday at 3pm there is a bus FILLED with children whose parents have kicked them out of Disney World for fighting and whining. If your eyes are quick enough you can see their tear stained faces pressed against the window as they are dragged off to the airport to be sent home. No more Disney for them! If you LISTEN carefully you can hear Daddy and Mommy (especially Mommy!) cackling with joy and laughter as they go back to the parks unencumbered by cranky children.

Cranky husbands should also know that there is a bus just for them that leaves at 3:05pm, so they better watch their attitude.

When Mommy is finally footloose and fancy free of your whining carcass she will realize that hundreds of dollars are NOT being spent on YOU for toys and snacks and bottles and bottles (3 bucks a bottle!) of Disney filtered tap water and she will RUN to the Main Street Jewelers and buy that Dooney and Bourke bag that she has always wanted.

Sometimes the Mommies don't go back, they just stay at Walt Disney World in the Beach Club Fantasy Suite where they don't have to cook or do your laundry or drive you around for hours to get to those athletic competitions where she has to use a 'porta potty" (Shudders!). The fact that Mommy ever HAD to use a porta pottie just so you could run around a ball field all weekend is enough of a reason for you to decide that you will do everything in your power to make sure Mommy has an AWESOME trip!

And here's another thought.... If Mommy has a good trip Mommy will want to go back to Walt Disney World and IF you are lucky and well behaved she might want to take you. Daddy will take one look at all the credit card charges and never want to go back again, but like they say in that movie "A Greek Wedding", "A man is the head but the woman is the neck and the neck turns the head..."

So play your cards right and behave on this Disney trip... or Mommy will just go herself and she may very well forget about you."

~NM

Hahaha! I'm so ready to give my kids this speech! The looks on their faces would be priceless!!!!!!! My DS4 & DD2 fight like cats & dogs!

Thank you. But as it is a work colleague who wants them for a reveal for her two daughters first ever visit overseas and to the World, I think I had better purchase some of the bona fida $$s

EDIT - Squeeeal My 1,000th post.

As others have said, if you go in with a touring plan, stay hydrated and take breaks...you'll be fine. This will be our 3rd August trip and we have a ball!!

~NM

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Great minds think alike, although I prefer to give my warning...um... meant "talk" just before we head out to the airport. I find older ones, like my girls who are 19 & 16, retain the information sooo much better when it is said at the last possible moment and that goes for DH as well (he is like the son I never had :sad2:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter