Then and Now Post your photos and memories from the Fort

minnie-moo002.jpg

The date stamp is incorrect.

I recently found a few interesting items from the 1980's and will post as soon as:
A. I get my allotted number of posts :yay:
B. Some kind soul reminds me how you post pictures. :rolleyes1
Wish I had keep notes......

:love: :hippie: :worship: :rotfl2: :thumbsup2

:banana:
thanks for the info - useful thread...

this seems useful information...thanks for

sharing...

see ya...
:) :hug: :rolleyes1 :dance3: :laundy: :love:

:hippie: :cool1:

I think it was some time in 2007 that the famous lawnmower tree died. I believe that Disboard member Stacktester was actually there when they cut the top part of the tree off. Here is what it looked like then:

lawntreeFull.jpg

(I found the photo posted above here on the Disboards-I believe that it was originally posted by Lisa8200).

On my visit in October, I could have sworn that the remaining portion of the lawnmower tree looked shorter. On my November visit, I snapped this photo, which indeed shows that this Fort icon is disappearing :(

ThanksgivingFW2008216.jpg

TCD

Well, the "then" in this group of photos was just a few months ago, but these photos still qualify because they illustrate a pretty big change in the way things look at the Fort back in the 1600-1900 loop area.

As many of you will remember, the 1800 and 1900 loops were built in a very swampy area. Some of the sites were right next to very low areas that were filled with water whenever it rained, and stayed wet for a long time thereafter.

Well, back in September or so, they started filling in these low areas.

Here are some photos that I took just outside the 1800 loop in October, 2008.

FWPHOTOS008.jpg

FWPHOTOS009.jpg

FWPHOTOS010.jpg

FWPHOTOS020.jpg

FWPHOTOS019.jpg

FWPHOTOS018.jpg

Here are some photos taken the day after the above photos were taken:

FW10308011.jpg

FW10308012.jpg

FW10308013.jpg

FW10308014.jpg

FW10308015.jpg

FW10308016.jpg

And, here are the "now" photos, taken at end of November, 2008:

ThanksgivingFW2008118.jpg

ThanksgivingFW2008119.jpg

As you can see, this particular "swamp" just disappeared.

TCD

For as long as I have been going to the Fort, this old wagon has sat next to the playground by the Marina:

1226563767_622c8d24c7_o.jpg

rcwagon.jpg

As you can see, it used to be painted to promote River Country. Notice the Musket Mickey logo on the end.

The wagon still sits in the same spot, but is no longer painted with any reference to River Country:

UFvCitadel112208001.jpg

UFvCitadel112208002.jpg

TCD

Loving this thread, btw. :thumbsup2
DH visited FW as a kid, but I'm a newbie, although a quick convert with 4 trips in the last 5 years (this one 3 weeks ...and still not long enough!)

We're actually on the road heading back north from the Fort (boooo) but wanted to mention that on our last loop around on the golf cart just 2 days ago (Thurs 12/18), this water tower was no longer there. Unfortunately I don't have a pic, but there was all sorts of "stuff" going on in this area that day.

We're actually on the road heading back north from the Fort (boooo) but wanted to mention that on our last loop around on the golf cart just 2 days ago (Thurs 12/18), this water tower was no longer there. Unfortunately I don't have a pic, but there was all sorts of "stuff" going on in this area that day.
Maybe they've dismantled the water tower to use in the pool renovations?? That would be too cool!!! :cool1:

Wow!! Let's see who can get the first photo of the area with no water tower and get it posted!!!!

Staying with RC and this area. Someone else maybe able to share just when these changes were made. The then photos are from Feb. '06 and the now were in Nov. '08.
The Pavilion sign location is in front of the pavilion as you face it by the pony ride.
FirstPhotosCanon280.jpg

The RC entrance is unused and blocked off.
FirstPhotosCanon285-1.jpg

The sign is now gone.
November2008036.jpg

Sign relocated and now at least the RC entrance area is getting some use once again for the Backyard BBQ, and the Segway Tour. We still need a new photo with the water tower removed. Maybe some spy work to see if there is any sign of near the pool????
November2008018.jpg

Following up on Tony's last post, immediately above, I also have some then and now photos of the River Country entrance area.

These first photos were taken some time in 2007, but they represent the way that the River Country entrance looked from about 2002 through September, 2008:

Picture048.jpg

These next two shots are what you could see if you peeked around the plywood barricade that was erected in front of the ticket booth. These are bait tanks that were used by the recreation department for fishing excursions. Also, note that the ticket prices were still posted on the concealed ticket booth.

Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Picture051.jpg

This sign was moved September, 2008:

FW10308107.jpg

The old ticket booth has been cleaned up, and the plywood wall has been removed, as has the bait tanks and other stuff formerly being used by the fishing guides:

FW10308108.jpg

FW10308109.jpg

This little building has been cleaned up, too. This display used to promote Discovery Island. Back in the day, there used to be a little burrowing owl that lived here. He is not back (yet). The cage is empty, but it is still there:

FW10308110.jpg

These benches are also new to this area. The back of the sign is the same, but this is a new location, as already mentioned:

FW10308111.jpg

Here is what the water tower looked like in October, 2008. Now, the word is that it has been removed:

FW10308112.jpg

FW10308113.jpg

Here is what the view was when you looked back toward the entry area:

FW10308114.jpg

FW10308115.jpg

Here is a shot of the back of the old River Country ticket booth, on the way out of this area:

FW10308116.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter