Theme Parks Trading Blows

ADP

<marquee><font color=red>I'm a huggin' fool</marqu
I'm not the type of person to take anything for granted. This is just a general observation, but I believe what we are seeing right now is a pretty large boxing match between Orlando theme parks.

It seemed to all start with the WWoHP at IOA. Once that was announced there have been counter-punches by the other theme park giants in Orlando. Now we are looking at a new Avatarland in AK, a Fantasyland expansion in the MK, Sea World is adding new themed areas over the next 2 years, and now Universal is replacing part of the Amityville area and removing Jaws for another large scale attraction. These are HUGE projects and I can't wait to see how they develop and what the final product looks like.

As a theme park fan I personally believe we are in a great spot right now. The theme parks have seemed to engage in an attractions battle where they are trying to out-duel each other. In the end its fans like us are the winners! Woot! Woot! :yay:

A bit of competition never hurt anyone ;) think about the recent addition of Legoland too! I remember my first trip when IoA and AK didn't exist - it was easy to fit it all in. Now however... ;)

Doesn't matter what they add to US and IOA, still don't care to go there.

Just my opinion, of course.

I don't know that they're "trading blows" -- or even fighting, really. It's just normal growth in a very competitive market. Even if Disney or Universal was the only park out there, they'd still be growing and adding and refreshing product.

I will agree, though, that theme park fans will benefit from all of it. The next decade will be full of fun vacation choices!

:earsboy:

I don't know that they're "trading blows" -- or even fighting, really. It's just normal growth in a very competitive market. Even if Disney or Universal was the only park out there, they'd still be growing and adding and refreshing product.

I will agree, though, that theme park fans will benefit from all of it. The next decade will be full of fun vacation choices!

Agree....But not at the rate they are doing today. The number of major announcements coming from the parks is more than I can remember in this short amount of time. Also, the theme parks know new attractions = larger gate numbers. In a competitive market they are fighting for our attendance.

I think if you go back in Central Florida history, you'll see that there are very defined "pockets" of growth -- times when everyone seemed to be adding something at the same time. Then there would be lulls, while everyone kind of waits to see how things are accepted by the consumer. There are quiet times, just as there are boom times. This is a boom time, certainly, but not really unique. It's happened before. The difference, I think, is that the consumer is demanding a bigger 'wow' and so the things being added are bigger than they used to be. Ten years ago, a major announcement would have been the adding of a new coaster or dark ride. Today, the public demands the addition of a whole new land in order to get that wow.

But again ... I don't see it as them "trading blows" or being in a boxing match. Each park understands that growth anywhere benefits them all. All those people who came in for WWoHP probably tossed some money Disney's or SeaWorld's way. And a bunch of those folks probably wouldn't have been in Florida without Hogwarts. So ... it benefits everyone. Universal and SeaWorld know that when New Fantasyland starts opening up, people will come to see it, and so it makes sense that the other parks should be ready with something new too. It's less a fight, in my mind, than it is a dance.

I think if you go back in Central Florida history, you'll see that there are very defined "pockets" of growth -- times when everyone seemed to be adding something at the same time. Then there would be lulls, while everyone kind of waits to see how things are accepted by the consumer. There are quiet times, just as there are boom times. This is a boom time, certainly, but not really unique. It's happened before. The difference, I think, is that the consumer is demanding a bigger 'wow' and so the things being added are bigger than they used to be. Ten years ago, a major announcement would have been the adding of a new coaster or dark ride. Today, the public demands the addition of a whole new land in order to get that wow.

But again ... I don't see it as them "trading blows" or being in a boxing match. Each park understands that growth anywhere benefits them all. All those people who came in for WWoHP probably tossed some money Disney's or SeaWorld's way. And a bunch of those folks probably wouldn't have been in Florida without Hogwarts. So ... it benefits everyone. Universal and SeaWorld know that when New Fantasyland starts opening up, people will come to see it, and so it makes sense that the other parks should be ready with something new too. It's less a fight, in my mind, than it is a dance.

I agree with all of this. I do think Sea World (and lego land) have benefited from Harry Potter. I see lots of posts about "visiting UN and throwing in Sea World", I know we did!
Also if you have a huge HP fan in your family but you don't want to plan an entire trip around HP you might bump up your Disney trip and included a UN day. The draw of HP might sway you to go ahead and make the decision to visit Orlando/Disney again.

Recessiona are the perfect time to build- contractors are willing to negotiate and if you have the money you're going to get a great deal whereas in better times is going to cost a lot more to do the same thing

I think it is trading blows in a way. The parks aren't growing because of increased consumer demand, IMO, it's because they're competing for market share.

Sinced WWoHP is SO popular, it definitely draws guests with finite vacation time away from WDW. TDO needed to try to come up with something to bring people back to their parks.

The growth arises from competition. Look at the rush to open MGM before Universal could get their Orlando park open.

WDW would definitely lose out if they DIDN'T add or improve anything to try to compete with Potter directly or indirectly.

I'm trying to plan a trip with friends to WDW next year and several have said "ok, but we need to also go to WWoHP" effectively taking days away that would otherwise have been spent at WDW, and that's not unique.

Wait until you see what they have on deck at the Holy Land Experience.

Raising the dead -- now twice a day! Everyone who enters gets to join a crusade! And don't forget the new interactive experience, "The Spanish Inquisition."

(because, let's face it, NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition...)

I was under the impression that attendance (actual visitors, not just profits) was up at both WDW and USO. If that's the case, then I see it as more of a friendly competition than a "fight".

Just my 2 cents...

Got to agree Aaron. And it is definitely a good thing all around. The competition will wind up giving us a better product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBrasky
Wait until you see what they have on deck at the Holy Land Experience.

Quote: by nytimez
Raising the dead -- now twice a day! Everyone who enters gets to join a crusade! And don't forget the new interactive experience, "The Spanish Inquisition."

Thanks a lot! I almost snorted wine out my nostrils.

Nor the Bishop

I don't think we've approached the 'trading' aspect just yet. Universal delivered the 'blow' and Disney is currently picking their jaw up off the ground. :)

I don't think we've approached the 'trading' aspect just yet. Universal delivered the 'blow' and Disney is currently picking their jaw up off the ground. :)

Looking at last year's numbers, USF and IOA didn't even pass DCA in attendance. It's more like Universal gave Disney a mosquito bite and Disney is reaching for the Off. If anyone's Jaw is on the ground it is Sea World which lost 12% in attendance last year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter