• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Theme park changes in the past 4 years

smk

Earning My Ears
My family went to WDW 4 years ago and we will be going again in Dec. '12. I know that Fantasyland is going to be different, but what other changes in the parks have happened during the last 4 years?

Prices went up! :lmao:

Seriously, though... there have been some changes to attractions, etc. A few that come to mind:

Tiki Room reverted to original show.

Star Tours has been completely updated and is also now in 3D.

Magic, Memories, and You (pre-show on castle before Wishes) AWESOME!

Was Toy Story Mania open when you visited last? I think it's just about four years old. I forget the actual opening date.

Haunted Mansion added an interactive queue area as well as new hitch-hiking ghosts at the end of the ride.

I'm sure there are some others, but that's all I can think of for now that I KNOW are recent changes. I bet other people will jump in and add to the list.

A few more:

Winnie the Pooh got an interactive que line
Good old Obama was added to the HOP
Captain EO was reopened
The Spectromagic parade was replaced with the Mainstreet Electric parade (barf)

Something that may not be new, but I just noticed it on our last trip (Aug '11)... During the shows on the MK stage during the afternoon, the characters (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy) mouths open and close with their dialogue and their eyes open and close with their expressions. Small change but really makes the characters come to life. This might be old news, but I never noticed it before...

... mouths open and close with their dialogue and their eyes open and close with their expressions.

Word on the street is that characters will speak to guests during meet & greets (as well as blink, etc.). I'm not sure if this has already begun, but I recall reading about them testing it out.

Word on the street is that characters will speak to guests during meet & greets (as well as blink, etc.). I'm not sure if this has already begun, but I recall reading about them testing it out.

Very brief test of this with Mickey late last summer, and hasn't been seen since. Not likely to see regularly anytime soon.

Don't forget arguably the biggest change: Mickey's Toontown Fair is gone completely, and when you'll be there in December a good 75% of New Fantasyland should be up and running.

Thanks everyone for the info. Tofubeast, that was a great site. I'm a detail person, so it's right down my alley! I'm looking forward to seeing the things that are new.

We haven't been since August 2008 and we are going again this August.

I'm pretty sure Space Mountain had a major refurb since we've been. I don't ride that ride so I could be wrong, but my family loves Space Mountain!

Thanks tofubeast for posting that link! I was there a mere year ago but it seems like so much has changed since then. Off to browse the timeline site!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter