The Wizard Hat

See...I've known to be "harsh" occasionally...

But I didnt have that much of a problem with it as a novelty...

Now...when we watched them switch out numbers to put up "EPCOT"... As if to say "incase you're unclear as to what the worlds largest ball indicates..."

Or the 15 year lawn ornament at mgm...

Then They got some "splainin'" to do

Totally agree!!!! A little fun now and then is fine .... as long as you take it down as soon as the fun is over. I thought the cake castle was fun but then I go often so not seeing the traditional castle was okay. For once in lifetime trips I guess it could be disturbing. But the EPCOT deal and the hat over-staying their purpose .............. not cool. I am here now and heading to DHS to see how close we are to that wrong being righted.

Totally agree!!!! A little fun now and then is fine .... as long as you take it down as soon as the fun is over. I thought the cake castle was fun but then I go often so not seeing the traditional castle was okay. For once in lifetime trips I guess it could be disturbing. But the EPCOT deal and the hat over-staying their purpose .............. not cool. I am here now and heading to DHS to see how close we are to that wrong being righted.
The wrong has been righted only walls and scaffolding remain.

you should do a selfie when you first see it...and send it in!

So excited I didn't even think of that. Just processing the beauty of the boulevard!

BDAD4C6A-BE19-49DB-8532-9CCDD1C2A973.jpg
[/URL]

The hat coming down is the first of many changes that Hollywood Studios needs. My only problem with all the changes is that its hard to justify paying to go to the park when half of it is under construction/closed.

I was told by a cast member in Dec that they would be finished with the "update" this Spring - new movie at the end, update to queue...

I was told by a cast member in Dec that they would be finished with the "update" this Spring - new movie at the end, update to queue...
Correct the pre show and end show should be updated this spring. No word any other improvements at this time.

Correct the pre show and end show should be updated this spring. No word any other improvements at this time.

I still love that ride...and it gets so much flack...

A "tasteful" update would be nice...
Not JIYI...because we know a fail is not corrected.
Or Everest...

But how low is the bar?

Midway mania is "ok"...mine train is pretty blah...like 1/150th as interesting as 1988 splash or 1993 tower of terror.

The wrong has been righted only walls and scaffolding remain.
There is probably concrete to repair and who knows what else they might plan to do behind the walls before they come down. If anything, hopefully it won't be more than a planter or grass or something low.

I hate to be the voice crying in the wilderness, but I liked the Hat. Last week when I was at HS, I saw many visitors sad to see it go. I get all the points, and they all make sense, but I still liked the hat. I have been in the minority, but I know my family and I will miss walking to the gates at HS and seeing that blue come up from behind. The theatre does not do it for me, it is not majestic, it is not that awesome, and to be honest it is not Disney. I know the whole idea of the studios, but that has all changed over the years. I am prepared for all the hate, but we are each entitled to our opinions, and maybe mine will change when we see all the changes, but I am still hoping they put a Giant Death Star in the middle.

That's funny you say that...

"Not Disney"

Cheap tricks didnt used to be Disney...that's six flags

And leaving things that don't make any sense...or bad experiences or technology...in place for along time to "extract value" out of them...didnt used to be Disney.

I hope that the past is prologue in this respect

There is probably concrete to repair and who knows what else they might plan to do behind the walls before they come down. If anything, hopefully it won't be more than a planter or grass or something low.
Well it was a large planter prior to the hat. Some photos above the walls have show they have been keeping things very clean in there so I would expect some concrete work like you said. Also the facade of the theater is going to be getting paint and a clean up. The theater spires will be coming back as well.

The hat was OK, but not where it was. If the hat had been erected over, maybe, the animation courtyard, it would have been more appropriate.

Placing that "thing" in front of that beautiful chinese theatre was a crime.

The hat was OK, but not where it was. If the hat had been erected over, maybe, the animation courtyard, it would have been more appropriate.

Placing that "thing" in front of that beautiful chinese theatre was a crime.
I agree that the hat was in a terrible location. The Animation Courtyard, which lacks cohesive theming anyway, might have been a better location.

That being said, I would question whether oversized, value-resort-style decorations have any business being inside a Disney theme park.

The parks are supposed to immerse us in wondrous settings. They should make us part of fantastic stories. They should carry us off to the far corners of the world. They should transport us backward and forward in time.

The jumbo "hat" did none of these things.

Last edited:
The parks are supposed to immersive us in wondrous settings. They should make us part of fantastic stories. They should carry us off to the far corners of the world. They should transport us backward and forward in time.

The jumbo "hat" did none of these things.

Exactly...and there's a big difference between what Disney has been about historically in parks and something done for a quick "wow"

Remember that the castle was an ambitious project...not even mentioning spaceship earth or the tree of life...

The hat was for a cheap thrill.

The example I give as to the way Disney was and probably should be is the original haunted mansion at Disneyland...

Slated for a 1957 opening...their ideas and concepts outran technology and was a logistical nightmare...

They could have scraped it... They could have cheapened it and opened it...but no...they kept at it, spent god knows how much... And "right on schedule" in 1969... She rolled out.

The approach was worth it...as a reasonable new take opened day one at wdw two years later that we have all enjoyed on the least coast...

Oh no...I was indifferent before...but I'm thinking upon review that the hat is most definitely NOT Disney.

I hope they get a good scrap price for it in Oviedo...

I was always hoping that they'd chop it off at the base, lift it up by crane, and plop it down right around Fantasmic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter