The Whirlwind Trippers Husband Report #2, or the Preacher loses his patience with son

1000thhappyhaunt said:
But... let me get this straight: You LOVE Maelstrom. And you don't think Soarin' is "all that"? Huh???? Ok. While they are BOTH FASTPASSES(?)... there seems, to me, to be a teensy bit of a difference. Just a smidge. To me. But what do I know? Clearly nothing about ride rating. And they ARE both Fastpasses. AND... and... MISSION SPACE IS CHEESY???? BUT NOT THE MEXICAN RIVER OF TIME? Sorry to yell but COME ON! Mark, you're killing me here. Killing me.

I think Mark needs some Hotties...umm, I mean Princesses or Belly Dancers for those rides and he would be all over them! (the rides I mean, not the Hotties)

Loving your trip reports Mark!

Finish the report!!!!!!! What happened?!!!!!!! I am loving this and just to say you would be welcome to preach in MI any day, I grew up Christian Reformed and now attend an UM church. I would have loved to hear that some thing "sucks" from the pulpit growing up!!!!!! Our pastor Cindy (love her!) told us United Methodists give directions to places by bars and restuarants one of the first times we talked to her. We knew we were where we belonged! Finish the report!!!!! Please!!!!!!

QUOTE]

How is is that you folk up in Massachusettes keep electing Kennedy and Kerry? Haven't y'all figured out that they're morons yet?
hee hee hee

[/QUOTE]

Oh, no...from football to floatation devices to politics....I am NOT getting roped into THIS one!!!

Come on, Mark - tell us...what did your kid do???????? Does he or does he not beat out Calvin????

budbeerlady said:
I would have loved to hear that some thing "sucks" from the pulpit growing up!!!!!! Finish the report!!!!! Please!!!!!!

I'm trying, I'm trying. Got other things I'm working on this afternoon too. I have to teach 300 12 year olds this weekend - got 5 classes so I'm doing the trip report while on breaks.

Oh, and I don't say sucks from the pulpit. I do have some semblance of appropriateness most of the time. However, here's the last story I used that got a shaking of the head from Rhonda:

I was talking about faith and the difference between faith and knowledge. And how you would take, for instance, the Brown family. Now Mrs. Brown, she has knowledge that those two lovely children are hers. But Mr. Brown is a different story. He has faith that those children are his. See the difference?

It got quite a chuckle from the congregation. You also have to know your people. I couldn't tell that story in the stodgy place I served in Savannah. They'd run me out on a rail. But I also recognize that as society changes, the church has to change its way of communicating. Say for instance in a conversation I made reference to my Ebenezer. (now I'm going to make you go read your Bibles - 1 Samuel chapter 7 verse 12.) It's even a line in a famous hymn, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. But no one today knows what an Ebenezer is. So it would be pointless for me to use that. But to say something sucks, everybody knows that means it's bad, awful, worthless.

Heard a guy say that if the church is going to reach new generations it has to take the Gospel and put it in different containers. He said, take for instance my children. He had a 12 year old that drinks from a regular cup, a 3 year old that drank from a sippy cup and an infant that drank from, well, you know. He said each one drinks milk, but they all will drink from a different container. The 12 year old won't go back and drink from the containers of the 3 year old and infant. The infant and 3 year old aren't ready to drink from the container the 12 year old drinks from. Today's generation won't drink from the same container that my parents did in the 50's. They won't even drink from the container I drink from. But I have to put the Gospel in a container that they will pick up and drink from. If I talked about an LP, they wouldn't have a clue what I"m talking about. But I can talk about MP3 and they know immediately. See?

So, with that having been said, I don't see anything wrong with using the word sucks in particular settings. I wouldn't use it if talking with older folks. However I might with younger folks - but again - not from the pulpit. There are words though, most of which you could probably guess, that I won't use.

Make sense?

And yes, I am getting to work on the next day's installment in between all my ramblings and studying for the weekend.

Blessings all!
Mark

See? He still doesn't thank me publicly!! And I didn't even ask him to buy me tampons, like vettechick did to mrvettechick...

But honey, if you're reading this, would you pretty please call in my prescription? I left it on the table. I can pick it up on my way home. Along with some milk, 'cause Wesley is complaining that we haven't had any since we got back from Disney this weekend. Thanks, I love you!!

GADISNEYGIRL said:
And happyhaunts (Mel, if I may!!), let's talk men for a minute. I'll give you Gary, I happen to like him, too. He was very good in the Candlelight Processional a few years back. But I do need to ask if you saw the Cinderellabration show while you were there. I don't remember it in your report. If you saw it, I need to know what day.

Hi Rhonda! I don't think Gary is a bad boy either. I think he's probably a really nice decent man. I find him quite physically pleasing. But... his VOICE... is great! Yum. I can imagine him speaking in pirate lingo and...nevermind. Whew. But didn't you see Alan Rickman in Die Hard? Bad boy, yes. But very fine. And again... he's got VOICE. In fact, if "good sex" could talk... it'd sound just like Alan Rickman. I think. Geez. Can I say that here? I don't really mind Snape. Wouldn't want to go for a Spa Day or anything with him... but he's ok. Nice and greasy and dirty. I guess I DID have a "bad boy" thing at one time. But then I met my DH and learned to appreciate the finer qualities of honesty, loyalty and decency in a man. As opposed to lyin,' cheatin' and stealin'. So... to sum up this rant... I just have a "bad boy" thing in fantasy. Along with a "geek" thing. And, I caught a little bit of Cinderellabration last December but was distracted 'cause I was playing on the phone with my Mellyman and didn't really pay attention. So I can't recall the Beast Prince. At all. Try to post a pic. If you can. I'm curious. Ok... sorry for the hijack. Back to Mark's regularly scheduled programming. Nice chatting with you. Say "Hi" to that cute dumpling of yours. Cheers, Mel the Geekseeking Steel Butterfly.

An interesting explanation of the challenges faced by the clergy in today's hypertechnological age in making something as old as the bible relevant to today's generation. If you can't download it to your Ipod, or burn it onto a DVD, many of the youth of today (can't believe I said that when I'm only 39 myself -- I've become my father, or worse, my grandfather) would believe it simply doesn't exist (or perhaps, that it simply doesn't matter).

But enough of this discussion as to the relative merits of using the word "sucks" in various contexts -- just finish the next installment of the trip report (and don't forget your wife's prescription at the store).

FSUMARCHIEF said:
I lay there for a while reflecting on the day. I bet no one has ever had that kind of day before at Disney World. I’ve said this before though, I would rather have a stinky day at Disney World than a great day most anywhere else!

More later!

Blessings!
Mark

Bless her heart, that is rough. My DS got stomach-sick in the Disneyland parking lot as we were leaving in '99. I kept watching him during the whole tram ride to the parking lot, just knowing what was going to happen any moment. But mercifully, he made it off the tram before the inevitable.

*sigh* He was 10 yrs old then...

FSUMARCHIEF said:
Heard a guy say that if the church is going to reach new generations it has to take the Gospel and put it in different containers. He said, take for instance my children. He had a 12 year old that drinks from a regular cup, a 3 year old that drank from a sippy cup and an infant that drank from, well, you know. He said each one drinks milk, but they all will drink from a different container. The 12 year old won't go back and drink from the containers of the 3 year old and infant. The infant and 3 year old aren't ready to drink from the container the 12 year old drinks from. Today's generation won't drink from the same container that my parents did in the 50's. They won't even drink from the container I drink from. But I have to put the Gospel in a container that they will pick up and drink from. If I talked about an LP, they wouldn't have a clue what I"m talking about. But I can talk about MP3 and they know immediately. See?
Mark

Wow just wanted to say GREAT illustration, see if I had you as a preacher I just might go back to church ;) I'm on hiatus...

janetmojo said:
Wow just wanted to say GREAT illustration, see if I had you as a preacher I just might go back to church ;) I'm on hiatus...

You're not too far away, you could drive south every Sunday! ;)

Oh no! That really is one terrible day, especially for Rhonda. I hope things turned around 100% after that so you could enjoy the rest of your trip.

Oh dear, what a stressful day for you all! I hope the rest of your vacation was better.

Let's see, what should I wear today? Pee pants or poo pirate pants? Difficult decisions facing dastardly-deeding diminuitive descendent... (I'm probably the only person here who remembers from Broadcast News..." A lot of alliteration from anxious anchorment placed in powerful posts"...so I'll just stop joking in this manner immediately...while you all sit here going, "WHAAA???")

Oh, my gosh - that is pretty funny....but let me get this straight - THAT is what you were so upset about? What are ya, a SAINT or something that you're not allowed to lose your temper (and it sounds like it was brief and pretty mild, at that)? Now, I am not a religious girl, but I'm thinking the pastor thing is playing into your guilt...and I gotta tell ya, pastor, atheist, whatever, EVERYONE loses it a little from time to time. And thank goodness they do. Because the scary people are the ones who NEVER lose their temper at all - those are the guys that climb a clock tower with an AK47. Better to lose it a little than to hold it in and lose it a LOT!!!

Poor Wesley, I can imagine how embarrassed he was...sweet thing! And in front of his future wife, Colleen!!

And Rhonda - hope your sickness didn't last...I can't think of anything more awful than feeling sick at THE WORLD...sometimes whipping out the plastic and buying a t-shirt you would never wear anywhere else helps (until you get the bill, that is)...

I am off to a meeting, where I will fondly remember the trouncing we gave FSU this year....ah, maybe not, 'cause the game is in Nole country next year, meaning the tides could turn...

Thanks for the report!!

Well, to make this all even more interesting, 2 weekends later was Wesley's birthday. And the Moltons were there, of course. Now Colleen is 9 months older than Wesley, so she'll soon be 5. And the kids were playing, while the adults sat around eating cake and talking. Wesley comes running in to tell us that COLLEEN has had an accident!!! What IS it with these kids??? I guess it doesn't bother them too much... though if they DO get married... won't we have a blast telling stories on them at their rehearsal dinner!!! :rotfl:

I also have to tell you here, that I don't think Mark fully described how angry he was. I have seen him angry. Lots of times. So has Wesley... But he was ANGRY. FURIOUS. LIVID. Let's just say it's a good thing the Moltons were with us! He wouldn't do anything with witnesses around, you know!

But the whole thing, really, was our fault. We go to Disney so much, we have a kind of routine (which does NOT involve Wesley drinking a 22oz Sprite at one sitting). With them, though, we got off our routine. We got away from our scheduled potty breaks, etc. We were too busy trying to show them "everything", and we didn't remember to do the things we normally do~like MAKE Wesley go to the bathroom. This last trip was much better! And when we rode Splash Mountain and Small World, Wesley proudly proclaimed, "I didn't go in my pants this time!!"

And yes, I did feel better. It was a combination, I think, of my cold, being tired, being stressed out (thanks to Wesley and Mark), and, primarily, being dehydrated. But thanks for all your concern!!! :thumbsup2

If it makes you feel better it's highly highly unlikely your son is the only 2 for 1 deal maker ever to be at WDW. (after all you don't think they thought of multi underwear packs at a theme park for nothing do you?)

Sometimes we all have bad moments but you'll remember them for their humour later (trust me all kids have some dozzies in this regard...my ds stuck some "accident" down the heating vent that was no fun at all either :rolleyes: ) glad overall that everyone made it through the day though.

Just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying readin' your report. I can so relate to a lot of it. I hate when people make their own traffic lane too. What's up with that? :confused3

Since I have found your report, I realize two things will more than likely get neglected, well, okay, maybe three. Work, my own trip report and most likely my family's dinner :teeth:

BTW, you sound like a really cool preacher. You kinda remind me of ours.

If we lived in GA, we'd have to pop in.

Great job, keep it up! :confused3

loving these reports, maybe you can start preaching to my husband to get the kdis to church! LOL

Hey folks! Sorry I haven't been on today. Today was Ash Wednesday and we had our Santuary open from 6 AM to 6 PM for folks to come in and pray. That was followed by a 2 1/2 hour Bible Study. And frankly, my dogs are barkin', if you know what I mean! I'm going to bed. I'll try to write more tomorrow, though I have another looooong day. Thanks for all the comments and support!

Blessings!
Mark

Now I wish our up and coming trip to WDW would take us through Macon on a Sunday so that we could stop off at your church. If you ever want to come North, I would love to have you as a Pastor at our FUMC.

Barb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter