• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The "When to go debate"

We personally enjoyed MNSSHP much more than MVMCP and I beleive that was only due to crowd levels. We went to MNNSSHP in September and everything was just walk on - Fastpass machines were closed. However that was several years ago. The parks are absolutely beautiful at Christmas though. I guess it would depend on what specific time frames you are looking at. And I do think it is worth it to see Christmas at Disney at least once in a lifetime! Sorry not much help - I know.

The Christmas season is truly one of those things that every single WDW fan should experience. The parks are always magical, but at Christmas they're just - WOW! Since you've already been during MNSSHP, why not experience something new?

I've been to both MNSSHP and MVMCP and they were great. I agree with the previous poster, if you have already done the MNSSHP, why not do the MVMCP? The castle with icicle lights is beautiful!

although experiencing the looks and feel of christmas is prob nice
i am of the opinion that when i go on vacation we "rock"
i don't go on vacation to relax or read a book, so i say forget christmas for the beauty and do whichever is going to be more fun and for me looking at the castle dressed up isn't fun.

with that said i would like to experience it, but i still would take halloween over christmas

I jusy returned from a trip from May 2 - 7. The weather was perfect, high 60s in the morning and high 80s the rst of the day. The crowds were low, lots of 20 minutes or less waiting time. I did see TT at EPCOT have 120 minute wait time, but it was down to 20 minutes by 11:30 PM.
We have gone at Christmas and the weather and crowds were were enjoyable, but wearing a sweatshirt in the parks did not feel "Disney". May is still my favorite time of the year.

I thought the castle lights were spectacular. :cloud9:

However, MVMCP wasn't anywhere near as good as MNSSHP, in my opinion. It was far more crowded, more difficult to fit in the 'special' shows and things which make the party different from a regular night, and the MNSSHP candy is better than the MVMCP cookies and hot chocolate (which took 30 minutes to cool down enough so I could drink it without scalding my mouth, lol).

Also, the parade is much better at MNSSHP, I think. :thumbsup2

Of course, it's tough to say what YOUR opinion might be. You probably should try it yourself to see what you think.

I love them both. I do like the hallowishes better then christmas wishes. The lights on the castle and the osborne lights at hollywood studios and the santas at epcot when you go for halloween it is just the magic kingdom but christmas is the entire resort we go the first week in december and the crowds are low the weather is good and the magic is everywhere.

The Christmas season is truly one of those things that every single WDW fan should experience. The parks are always magical, but at Christmas they're just - WOW! Since you've already been during MNSSHP, why not experience something new?

Having done it, I kind of disagree.

If you are already familiar with WDW, then I suppose it's worth seeing WDW near the holidays once.

If I never went again during the holiday time frame I'd be fine with that.

When to go really depends on your individual preferences. I'd rather not spend tons of moeny getting to WDW only to have it be COLD. I want to have FL to be warm when I go.

I also have very mixed feelings about combining Disney and the holiday season. I love Disney, and I love the holiday season. But if I combine them- then I miss the chance to get TWO distinct fun experiences. I greatly prefer to spread the fun a bit.

There really is not ONE ideal time to go to WDW, but only trade offs.

I was fighting with that exact question last year and decided to try December out. I posted the same question and the majority of the replies were that MNSSHP was more fun, but you really should experience MVMCP.

Well im glad we did! We had such a great time that we are doing it again this year. Both holidays offer something different. Halloween is more fun in Disney whereas Christmas I think is......special. There is just a completely different feeling in the parks during Christmas. The snow on Main Street, the mouth dropping Osborne Lights, the awe inspiring Candlelight Processional.. They are all absolutely amazing! Even the resorts are all decked out and beautiful. Halloween is also amazing, but it is limited to the MK. I will say that I do think the MNSSHP's parade and fireworks were cooler.

With that said, we were on the fence this year again about Halloween or Christmas. We decided Christmas just for the fact that we will get an annual pass this year before we go. Next year we will hopefully go back in May and again for Halloween so the AP will still be good. If the AP wasn't a determining factor (and resort availability) we would have probably went back for Halloween this year.

You really can't go wrong with either of them, but you really should try them both.

I'm not so worried about the weather as I am the never done MVMCP I'm just worried it won't be worth the money? Granted any trip To Disney would be amazing after having to miss it for a year....

My idea dates for december are 12/11-12/16

Blahhh i hate not knowing a good time and I'm so behind on planning I can't stand it! Ahhhh .....

I want to go for MNSSHP but am I too late to start planning and booking!:scared1:

We have done both and I definitely like MNSSHP better than MVMCP. I am torn as to which time of year I like best though.

My two biggest issues with going in early December are that it will be cold and that I feel like it cuts my Holiday Season short at home. Its a whole week that I don't get to enjoy my beautiful Christmas tree that I spend forever setting up. That being said though, the Christmas decorations in Disney are absolutely stunning. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge that year and it was the perfect setting. It turned out we had pretty good weather and DH and DD swam several times. I got in once but it wasn't quite warm enough for me. It was 70's and even low 80's some days.

It was also more crowded I thought in December than in October and both are more crowded than September but September was just so hot and humid. I like October because we also enjoyed the F&W festival. We're doing October again this year but DH made me promise that we would do December again for next years trip. And I'm looking forward to it. It really is beautiful and the whole feel of the entire place is very festive.

I would say if you haven't done Christmastime its worth trying. I would even try the party out but don't expect it to be quite as much fun as the halloween party. But don't miss the Osborne lights, they are really beautiful.

We have gone to both but give a slight edge to MNSSHP - in fact it was one of the deciding factors when we were deciding between oct and nov. But I would say if you haven't gone during the holidays you should try it. Like other posters have said the decorations are beautiful and the osborne lights are amazing. So, even though I like the Halloween party better I would recomend the MVMCP this trip to experience it.

I thought the castle lights were spectacular. :cloud9:

However, MVMCP wasn't anywhere near as good as MNSSHP, in my opinion. It was far more crowded, more difficult to fit in the 'special' shows and things which make the party different from a regular night, and the MNSSHP candy is better than the MVMCP cookies and hot chocolate (which took 30 minutes to cool down enough so I could drink it without scalding my mouth, lol).

Also, the parade is much better at MNSSHP, I think. :thumbsup2

Of course, it's tough to say what YOUR opinion might be. You probably should try it yourself to see what you think.

2nd this completely:thumbsup2

I am fighting myself trying to pick days to go to Disney I have NEVER been during MVMCP is it just as fun as MNSSHP.
:confused3 Any help?:confused3

I have only been to MNSSHP but hear its absolutely beautiful around Christmas time. In 2009 is when we went to MNSSHP and we walked onto all the rides, parks were not busy at all. Only negative was it was unseasonably warm when we were there, high 90's. Now I was just there this past March (springbreak), it was busier than 2009 but not crazy busy. The weather was wonderful, in the 80's and no humidity yet!!!

So thankful for all my dis'ers whove replied trying to help me.... I'm still weigh options....

I really love October but never been in December then there is always other great times of the year.... I wanted to go before end of this yr but also could save more and enjoy so really nice upgrades....

We were fortunate last year to do both. I agree with the others that suggest if you have already done one, why not try the other. The lights and decorations at Christmas were wonderful. Also, our DD loved the hot cocoa. We had to cut her off after four or five cups. Can you say "bouncing off the walls"?

I've been to both special events, and they both have their perks.

MNSSHP is awesome because you get the characters all dressed up in costumes, so there's a uniqueness factor present. Plus, you can go along and get all sorts of free candy on the trick or treat trails. And the parade is really cool as well, not to mention the Disney Villains show is something different you never get to see any other time.

MVMCP is an entirely different animal. Free hot chocolate and cookies. Special Xmas parade and fireworks. All the decorations. If you love Xmas, this is like Holiday Crack! It really is just like being in the MK on any other day decorated for the holidays, but there's just some extra special Disney magic added. And depending on when you go, it can be just as pleasant as in October. My wife and I went about 4 years ago in the week before Christmas (like the 16th-22nd - we were there on the last of the "value" weeks before the Xmas price increase took effect). We were worried about the weather, and it was 80 degrees almost every day. We spent the entire week in shorts and t-shirts, and then drove back home to Maryland, and drove through an ice storm in VA along the way.

Both parties are awesome, but MVMCP gets the edge for me, and is definitely worth checking out at least once.

A previous post suggested that MVMCP was like Holiday Crack and I so agree Magnusx1. I love this because that is exactly what I felt like at last years MVMCP. It was so overwhelming in a very enjoyable way. We did freeze our buns off but we had so much fun it was ok. We thought then that we would not go back during this season becasue of the cold, but when me, DH, and DD(7) sat down to discuss our next trip we decided that we had to experience this overwhelming feeling once again. Needless to say we will be back 12/17-12/24.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter