The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Half busy weekend here. Went to a 7 on 7 football thing for my godson at Towson University on Saturday. It POURED rain all the way there but luckily stopped by the time the games started. Other than climbing the "mountain" it was a pretty good day, not to hot.

The boys play these touch football games of 7 players on each team that last 20 minutes. There were a total of 8 fields, 4 of which were WAY up on top of this rather steep hill. :faint: 2 were right where we set up tents for the boys to rest and relax. Of course they only did one game there and this was after we had walked up the "mountain" to find they had changed the schedule. :furious: And the last two fields were in the Unitas stadium which was half way up the steep hill. I sure got my exercise but did refuse to go up for the last game which was in the furthest away field, about a mile away from the tents. I had already been up that hill twice, I wasn't going back.

I spent the rest of the weekend sleeping and resting.

Morning gang,

I sound like a broken record. The weatherman even said so this morning. Some thing - HOT Hot hot!! No rain in sight and everything is burning up. We finally made the decision over the weekend that we are letting our yard go. We tried so hard to keep it up but there is no way we are winning. There are a LOT of yards completely brown - I guess it goes dormant so it will come back but it sure is sad. And the pastures are finished for the year also. We got word last week that the irrigation ditch will be turned off the 1st of August. The corn is tasseled and ears are on way to early and the beans are in big trouble. We are just devestated.

Thanks again for the well wishes for Matthew and Liz. Things are back to normal - Thank Goodness!! I remember when Elizabeth was a baby we had those little plastic bed type things with metal on them so you could recline them. We used to put her between us in the car - no car seat at all. No belt to even keep her in it. The girls stood up in the back of the car all the time. By the time we had Matthew he was in a carseat the whole time. Wow how things and times change.

WFDT ~ Turkey tenderloin, watermelon, cucumber salad and yeast rolls.

Make it a great day!!

....how do you make your cuke salad? We've got tons of them from our garden and I don't have alot of cucumber recipes...

Hey KIm, We have a bunch of cucs on our plants that are still yellow. How long do we wait until turn they turn green. I'm waiting to pick them, but they are taking their own sweet time.....

And then for those who have read this elsewhere I apologize...

Hey everyone, it's been one He** of a day! :faint:

We had a problem on Sunday with Arline's garage door and so after my Chiropractor I went to her building to fix it. As I fixed it I got a call from our Contractor who wanted to meet about a new job. So instead of knocking on Arline's door to tell her the garage was fixed, I sent her text once I got home.

The meeting went for a little over an hour, and then Bill (our band conductor and one of the employees) stopped by to check and see if Arline was visiting us. It seems his partner (my laundry boy), was worried about her since she seemed out of it when he did her laundry yesterday. She didn't answer her cell phone and he actually went to her house, knocked on the door and she didn't answer.

I rushed over there to find her on the floor in a rather awkward state, completely delirious and unaware of her surroundings. I immediately called the paramedics and then put a towel over her for modesty. They arrived farily promptly (although not as fast as they did in the FIL's upscale neighborhood) and immediately went to work on her. I gave the lead guy as much information as I could, showed him her meds, and they had her out the door in 10-15 minutes.

The first hospital was full in the ER so they actually took her to our #1 choice of hospital. The next hour was just a bunch of driving back and forth phone calls and a mess. She had friends coming to town to stay with her they met me at the hospital, Fran had an infusion and wound Dr. appt on the other side of town. I left the friends to see Arline since I needed to meet Fran for the wound Dr. appt. By the time I got across town, they determined that Arline needed emergency brain surgery to relieve pressure on her brain from a hemmorhage and clot that was putting severe pressure on her brain.

So we postponed Fran's Wound Dr. appt and I hightailed it back to the hospital while Fran received her antibiotic drip. I made it with about 10 minutes to spare before our Dr found me in the ER waiting room and took me "backstage" to see Arline before the surgery. Dr. J informed me that Fran and I were the DPOAs for Arline (which I had completely forgotten in the chaos) and that I was to follow them to the operating floor STAT!

Once she went to surgery we all reconvened in the surgery lounge including the friends, Fran and Dr. J, she basically gave us the run down. No more driving for Arline, we need to look into Assisted Living and it will be a long road in ICU, Regular hospital, Rehab and hopefully by the time she gets out of these a place in an Assisted Living Facility will come up.

Turns out sometime about two weeks ago Arline fell and I guess hit her head again, she didn't want to tell us because she was embarrassed, but finally did. She did not tell us that she hit her head, but she told Dr. J that the lump on her head came from that fall. I thought it was the time about a month ago, but who knows because she has become more and more confused. In one of these times that she fell, she caused enough damage for this brain hemorrhage. You ladies were correct whevenver that she should have been checked out. Who knows when it happened, but at some point damage was done.

They did emergency surgery, drained the blood from next to her brain, and put in a drain so that the rest of the blood could drain. Once the pressure on her brain is released, they will continue to monitor her and see how she does. She is currently intubated, but there was a severe amount of blood and a rather large clot affecting her brain. She could be a week or more in ICU before they even take her off the sedatives. We have brought her cats to our place and probably just added two more to the herd. Tomorrow we need to talk to the Social Worker about getting her on a list for assisted living.

I will appreciate your prayers,

Alison

Hey KIm, We have a bunch of cucs on our plants that are still yellow. How long do we wait until turn they turn green. I'm waiting to pick them, but they are taking their own sweet time.....

And then for those who have read this elsewhere I apologize...

Hey everyone, it's been one He** of a day! :faint:

We had a problem on Sunday with Arline's garage door and so after my Chiropractor I went to her building to fix it. As I fixed it I got a call from our Contractor who wanted to meet about a new job. So instead of knocking on Arline's door to tell her the garage was fixed, I sent her text once I got home.

The meeting went for a little over an hour, and then Bill (our band conductor and one of the employees) stopped by to check and see if Arline was visiting us. It seems his partner (my laundry boy), was worried about her since she seemed out of it when he did her laundry yesterday. She didn't answer her cell phone and he actually went to her house, knocked on the door and she didn't answer.

I rushed over there to find her on the floor in a rather awkward state, completely delirious and unaware of her surroundings. I immediately called the paramedics and then put a towel over her for modesty. They arrived farily promptly (although not as fast as they did in the FIL's upscale neighborhood) and immediately went to work on her. I gave the lead guy as much information as I could, showed him her meds, and they had her out the door in 10-15 minutes.

The first hospital was full in the ER so they actually took her to our #1 choice of hospital. The next hour was just a bunch of driving back and forth phone calls and a mess. She had friends coming to town to stay with her they met me at the hospital, Fran had an infusion and wound Dr. appt on the other side of town. I left the friends to see Arline since I needed to meet Fran for the wound Dr. appt. By the time I got across town, they determined that Arline needed emergency brain surgery to relieve pressure on her brain from a hemmorhage and clot that was putting severe pressure on her brain.

So we postponed Fran's Wound Dr. appt and I hightailed it back to the hospital while Fran received her antibiotic drip. I made it with about 10 minutes to spare before our Dr found me in the ER waiting room and took me "backstage" to see Arline before the surgery. Dr. J informed me that Fran and I were the DPOAs for Arline (which I had completely forgotten in the chaos) and that I was to follow them to the operating floor STAT!

Once she went to surgery we all reconvened in the surgery lounge including the friends, Fran and Dr. J, she basically gave us the run down. No more driving for Arline, we need to look into Assisted Living and it will be a long road in ICU, Regular hospital, Rehab and hopefully by the time she gets out of these a place in an Assisted Living Facility will come up.

Turns out sometime about two weeks ago Arline fell and I guess hit her head again, she didn't want to tell us because she was embarrassed, but finally did. She did not tell us that she hit her head, but she told Dr. J that the lump on her head came from that fall. I thought it was the time about a month ago, but who knows because she has become more and more confused. In one of these times that she fell, she caused enough damage for this brain hemorrhage. You ladies were correct whevenver that she should have been checked out. Who knows when it happened, but at some point damage was done.

They did emergency surgery, drained the blood from next to her brain, and put in a drain so that the rest of the blood could drain. Once the pressure on her brain is released, they will continue to monitor her and see how she does. She is currently intubated, but there was a severe amount of blood and a rather large clot affecting her brain. She could be a week or more in ICU before they even take her off the sedatives. We have brought her cats to our place and probably just added two more to the herd. Tomorrow we need to talk to the Social Worker about getting her on a list for assisted living.

I will appreciate your prayers,

Alison

Prayers for you, Fran and Arline.

WOW! I really don't know what to say. My uncle had 4 blood clots removed from the back of his head over 14 years ago. Keep your strength up. :hug:

Allison- Oh my God! What is happening in your neck of the woods? I ma praying for Arline but you and Fran as well, this is going to be a very long road to recovery. Thank God someone checked on her, she certainly has an Angel. Please keep us updated.

Thanks again for the well wishes for Matthew and Liz. Things are back to normal - Thank Goodness!! I remember when Elizabeth was a baby we had those little plastic bed type things with metal on them so you could recline them. We used to put her between us in the car - no car seat at all. No belt to even keep her in it. The girls stood up in the back of the car all the time. By the time we had Matthew he was in a carseat the whole time. Wow how things and times change.
Oh, I remember those little car beds. I had one for Donny. I also carried my babies home in my arms, fed them in the front seat and let them frolic in the back when they were little. The car seat that I had for Daniel was to keep him from tearing up the car, not for keeping him safe. How did they survive?????

I am so glad the kids are back to normal! They spring back faster than we would :goodvibes

Half busy weekend here.

!/2 a busy weekend! :lmao: Your weekends would put me in the hospital!

Last night we had burgers and dogs. Donny had brought over salads from his cookout as well as some buns so I just fixed something to go with them. Buddy had taken Kady swimming after work so we all had a quick meal when they got in.

I have to toss the pasta salad and beans. I had more helpings yesterday than I care to admit, it was delicious! If it spends one more day in my house I will eat it all!

Tonight I think grilled chicken, summer squash and salad. I might sautee the squash with sweet onions. Buddy loves it that way.

Morning all,

Alison ~ Wow, sweetie, I am so sorry for all of you. Prayers and good thoughts and lots of hugs are coming your way. I don't know how you will do all of this, but I know you will. Please take care of you!!!

Kimmar ~ At the start of summer I take a quart jar - or any large jar - and put 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of water, 2 cloves of garlic or garlic salt/powder then dice cucumbers and onions into it. Every night after dinner I add more cucumbers to the jar. This is on my table till there are no more cucumbers. We just love it. I also take cucumbers and dice them and put sour cream over them - this is what my German Grandma did for every meal. I still love it. Enjoy!! Simple but oh so good.

Nan ~ Your extended cookouts sound sooooo good.

WFDT ~ Lemon and Shrimp pasta toss, green salad and garlic bread.

Make it a great day all.

Half busy weekend here. Went to a 7 on 7 football thing for my godson at Towson University on Saturday. It POURED rain all the way there but luckily stopped by the time the games started. Other than climbing the "mountain" it was a pretty good day, not to hot.

The boys play these touch football games of 7 players on each team that last 20 minutes. There were a total of 8 fields, 4 of which were WAY up on top of this rather steep hill. :faint: 2 were right where we set up tents for the boys to rest and relax. Of course they only did one game there and this was after we had walked up the "mountain" to find they had changed the schedule. :furious: And the last two fields were in the Unitas stadium which was half way up the steep hill. I sure got my exercise but did refuse to go up for the last game which was in the furthest away field, about a mile away from the tents. I had already been up that hill twice, I wasn't going back.

I would never have made that climb either... Glad you had fun!

Morning gang,

I sound like a broken record. The weatherman even said so this morning. Some thing - HOT Hot hot!! No rain in sight and everything is burning up. We finally made the decision over the weekend that we are letting our yard go. We tried so hard to keep it up but there is no way we are winning. There are a LOT of yards completely brown - I guess it goes dormant so it will come back but it sure is sad. And the pastures are finished for the year also. We got word last week that the irrigation ditch will be turned off the 1st of August. The corn is tasseled and ears are on way to early and the beans are in big trouble. We are just devestated.

WFDT ~ Turkey tenderloin, watermelon, cucumber salad and yeast rolls.

Make it a great day!!

So sorry to hear about the yard and the pastures, it is so tough, :hug: hugs my friend.

Glad to hear that Matthew and Liz are doing good.

Allison- good luck, hope she gets better soon and you can find a nice place for her.

Nan- yes it was half a busy weekend, I slept from 5pm to 10:30pm Saturday night, was awake until 1:30am then woke up for good at almost 11 Sunday. Other than going to the store to pick up lunch stuff I did nothing else. :thumbsup2

Off to home, probably going to stop and get dinner as I have no energy to cook at all.

Alison - Hope Arline is doing better. :hug:

Another busy week this week at work. I'm hoping things will settle down again next week.

WFDT? Scrambled eggs on toast. Quick, simple and I don't have to think too hard.

Have a good day all.

Hey, all! Today it's leftovers which is roasted turkey tenderloins with roasted zucchini and squash. It's too dang hot to cook!!!!

Hey, has Jen stopped posting? I know she's really busy with her food blog but I haven't seen her here. Did I miss a post by her?

Ack! I'm a thread killer! LOL!

Today is Fishy Friday. I am making salmon with roasted broccoli and cauliflower, with brown rice. A nice, healthy meal :)

Amanda had her tonsils taken out yesterday and also had a septoplasty to fix her deviated septum. Kevin took yesterday and today off to be with her. She is going to be released this morning. I asked her last week if Kevin would like me to make them a meal and she said yes. So I made a lasagna (unbaked so they can serve it fresh from the oven), French bread (obviously NOT homemade), salad, a mocha cream pie*, muffins for breakfast tomorrow which I also made an orange cream cheese spread** for. Amanda hinted for my tea that I make, so I made her a little package of the tea, a baby honey, and I bought some ginger, processed it, cut it up and froze it for her. Needless to say, I was busy yesterday.

Have a great day, everyone!

*Mocha Cream Pie
This is a Barefoot Contessa recipe that I adapted. I omitted the layering with cookie part and simply spooned the cream mixture into 2 pre-made chocolate crusts. It was to die for!!!!!!! By far one of the easiest desserts I have ever made.

**Orange Cream Cheese Spread

This is another Barefoot Contessa recipe. It is meant to spread on her date nut spice bread, but I thought it might be a nice touch on some blueberry muffins.

Hey, all! Today it's leftovers which is roasted turkey tenderloins with roasted zucchini and squash. It's too dang hot to cook!!!!

Hey, has Jen stopped posting? I know she's really busy with her food blog but I haven't seen her here. Did I miss a post by her?

You're not a thread killer....yet ;)

I've been wondering about Jen. Haven't seen her here much either.

Good Rainy Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have some rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsay- I think that Jen is busy with her blog.

PIO_ TIme will tell about the "thread Killer" :lmao:

Dinner last night was sandwiches. We went to the lake so by the time we got back it was after 8. Buddy just wanted to make a few sandwiches and settle in to Big Bang Theory. Fine by me!

Good Rainy Morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have some rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lindsay- I think that Jen is busy with her blog.

PIO_ TIme will tell about the "thread Killer" :lmao:

Dinner last night was sandwiches. We went to the lake so by the time we got back it was after 8. Buddy just wanted to make a few sandwiches and settle in to Big Bang Theory. Fine by me!

Congrats on the RAIN!

Yeah....I'm trying to be thread killer on our last dining thread. But the mods won't come and play ball! To cap things off....Brandi, Alison and Kim all seem to want to be thread killer too! :confused3

:rotfl2:

No thread killing yet. I have been busy at work and no cooking to speak of really. Dinner last night was Panera. I had a Homecoming committee meeting there. And my youngest DN was visiting as well. Her sister has a big swim meet this week and yesterday ended up in the finals. :woohoo:

That meant a very long day so my sister left the little one with us and she ended up spending the night since the meet continues today.

This weekend I am going to the Amish Market and also getting some stuff done at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter