• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

I am reading the posts but will probably not post much for a week or so, I lost my sister this morning, and the upcoming week is going to be difficult. We will eat, mostly comfort foods that have our DR. Turning blue, but for my family, we seem to crave those homey concoctions during sad times. Please say a preacher for my two nieces. They have had a rough road and my heart breaks for them.
.....I can imagine how you must feel....I lost my brother 2 years ago - yesterday was his [only] daughter's college graduation....it was bittersweet, and all the while I was thinking that he's somewhere above smiling down at her because he should be darned proud of her! I just know that your heart is filled with compassion and you will be a good aunt for them....keep strong, my dear - we are here for you. <<HUGS>>

Brandi - Good luck with the proposals! We're in financial planning for the next fin year stage and I've thankfully managed to navigate my way through it this year.

Alison - YAY for chilli fries. Hope the band is going well!

Pooh's Mate - We all come and go and post when we have time. As long as we check in once in a while, everyone knows we're still alive. ;)

Kimmar - still hoping to see your new kitchen. But no pressure. BTW - do you have a good pierogi recipe?

Saturday before Mother's Day. For anyone celebrating, Happy Mother's Day.

WFDT? WE're heading out to dinner tonight at a local Thai place. I may even take pictures and post. :)

.....I can imagine how you must feel....I lost my brother 2 years ago - yesterday was his [only] daughter's college graduation....it was bittersweet, and all the while I was thinking that he's somewhere above smiling down at her because he should be darned proud of her! I just know that your heart is filled with compassion and you will be a good aunt for them....keep strong, my dear - we are here for you. <<HUGS>>

I remember when you lost your borother. I dont think that special days will ever be easy for your family. I am so

Sorry.

Ellen= where does the time go? Graduation????

We had a daisy ham with carrots, red potatoes and green beans.

Tomorrow DOnny is hosting Mother's Day. He is having all of us, my brother and sister, and their families, Gina and CHristine. I hope that we can make things a little easier.

Christine is getting married in July. She and Tim are very behind in planning, so Gail and I want to help her.

20170510_163809_zpshgwcf1rc.jpeg

Saturday night I made Roll Ups (aka Flank steak wrapped in bacon) and zucchini boats.

Last night we had some of the sausages Fran bought back in February along with Costco mac and cheese (which I had sliced into quarters and then froze individually) with homemade Cole slaw.

Today we are going out to the park for some pins that are released today and we have a lunch reservation at Café Orleans for a Monte Cristo, some pommes frites, and Mickey Beingets. We probably won't be very hungry for dinner, but there are some roll ups and Cole slaw leftover, plus there will be leftover Monte Cristo for dinner tonight.

Happy Monday ladies,

Happy Mother's Day (belated) to all the Mother's to babies to be, furbabies and kids of all shapes and sizes. My neice can't have children and this day is very hard for her. I bought her a beautiful planter of flowers from her furbaby. After all, I think Cooper is a baby just as my kids. She liked it. And then on the other hand, yesterday was so hard for me as I don't have a Mother anymore. I am always sort of happy when the day is over.

Alison ~ Good for you. I just love how you just "matter of factly" say your are going to DL for the day. I so wish I could do that. I am still working on Doug to come out.
Chili cheese fries are our guilty pleasure.

Nan ~ I pray that your Mother's Day was special and healing. Bless you!

Brandi ~ Oh, Doug and I would fit in just great. We have a ball in whatever we do. Let me know next time and we just might join you. Doug would love it, me not so much as I don't drink wiskey/burbon but I would love it if Doug did. Know what I mean?

Kimmar ~ Your pictures won't come up for me. It just says, "Photo not found"

PIO ~ How was the Thai? Sounds yummy to me. I have to go into the big city to get anything close so I am a bit jealous.

We had 4 graduation receptions to go to over the weekend, Doug was in a golf tournament on Friday and we had yummy steaks for dinner. Saturday and Sunday we just grazed at the receptions - we has some of the BEST brisket I have ever had.

This morning my heart was hurting. I picked Liam up and took him home from preschool for the last time. I truly do not know where the time has gone. He starts kindergarten in the fall. He is such a homebody, I have NO idea how he is going to manage all day at school. It could be a long year. His preschool graduation is on Sunday.

WFDT ~ BBQ grilled chicken, asparagus, sliced cantaloupe and strawberries.

Make it a great day!!

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Work has just kicked up two notches for me and my stress levels are starting to rise a little. But I'm determined to keep it all in check and not get to fazed by it all.

Brandi - Hope monday was good for you.

Alison - Hope you got the new pins. Lunch plans sounds great! I think you did get those pommes frites!

Ellen - Thai was great. But I didn't end up getting any pictures. It just didn't see appropriate in that setting. :(
Awww. Liam is growing up as well. :hug:

This week, for Monday's dinner, I ended up making chicken soup, chinese style, from scratch. I also made some chicken dumplings to go with it. Then I cooked some ramen noodles and green vegies and we had our own home made soup noodles for dinner. It was really yummy and I think DS would be happy if I added this to the winter dinner rotation.

Tonight, DH put on the spud dinner with all the fixings.

Wednesday will be dinner at mum's. And that leaves Thursday. I'm pretty sure that DS will want to go to the Japanese place for dinner.

Hope everyone is well.

Hello ladies!

Well yesterday did not turn out as I expected! We did go to the park and did have lunch at Café Orleans, but Fran took too many muscle relaxants in the morning. She was fuzzy and groggy during our meeting with the contractor, and as we drove to the park it became clear she was in a dangerous situation for driving, so I took over. She kept dowsing off at lunch. The more the day went on, I realized my back and shoulders hurt so we went home with me driving again. She slept in her chair all evening. I hope today goes a little better!

I just got a call from our new tenant (went to voicemail as I was restarting my phone). He has no hot water, so that will be fun today! Luckily the contractor is supposed to be doing something at my house today so I'll have to take him off that to look at the new water heater. Always fun.

Ellen - It amazes me how quickly time passes. There's folks I know whose children are all grown up now, and I just can't believe where the time has gone! I'm not sure what you mean about me "matter of factly" saying we're going to Disneyland. :confused3 This year on the 15th of every month they are releasing a new pin, so we go out, get the pin and have lunch at a different place each time. I guess that is matter of fact.

PIO - I hope your work stress goes down! You're always working on such important and high profile projects! That soup sounds delicious. I just love Asian noodle soups, every time you talk about them, I want to go out and get some Pho.

Kimmar - I could see your pics over the weekend, but now I can't.

WFDT? Probably drive through. It's band night.

Thursday evening and my dinner plans have become reality. We had Japanese Ramen for dinner tonight.

I think I might just do steamed vegies for dinner tomorrow night. DS will want fish and chips and I've definitely noticed that my eating has slowed down in the last couple of months.

Have a great day everyone.

PIO - Fish and chips sounds really good! Teenage boys can eat anything! I need more than just veggies. No wonder your DH stays so thin.

Last night we had Egg Fu Yung, but while I was at the store the corn on the cob looked so good I got us each an ear for an appetizer. I was at the expensive store and it cost $1 an ear, but it was really good!

Tonight's dinner is sausages and John Waynes Cheese casserole.

Morning ladies,

I am building an Ark!! It has rained everyday for the last 4 days. We are at 3.8" as of last night. It is suppose to rain this afternoon, all night and all day tomorrow. Saturday is rain in the morning but after that should be nice until Monday and then we start all over again. The corn is in and growing but the soybeans are late and heaven knows when those will be able to be planted. We really need some sunny hot days. Our baby calves are even acting puny, they need some sunshine just like the rest of us. I have said it before - Farmers are NEVER happy. Because come the middle of June/July we will be begging for all of this moisture. But on the other hand it has brought us out of the extreme drought we were in.

Alison ~ What was meant by so "matter of factly" is I love how you just tell us you went to DL for dinner, or to get a pin, or for a few hours. For me to be able to go to DL would take months of saving and planning such as arranging plane tickets, hotel tickets, park tickets not to mention requesting to get time off and arranging someone to do chores for us and a gazillion other things. You can just wake up in the morning a decide to have lunch or go for a few hours.

PIO ~ Your ramen noodles sound so good. You are nesting in with winter coming and I am planning meals to not use the oven. We grill alot in the summer. There is no way I would fix a pot of soup in the middle of June just as I wouldn't have BLT's in February. We are funny like that. :)

Kimmar ~ I too can see the picture of the graduate - Congratulations. But not the other one.

I have a massage right after work so I told Doug that dinner was on him tonight. He is off at noon - it's Thursday and golf has started - but he is staying home to mow. If the rain holds off this might be our only chance till next week and already it is WAY past mowing. And of course we just had it sprayed. So once that sun does come out it will grow right before our eyes. LOL Before I left I saw that he took steak burgers out of the freezer, so that will be dinner. I will have to think of something to go with it.

WFDT ~ Steak burgers and something else.

Make it a great day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter