• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

PIO - Safe travels

Last night was salad and I went to bed right after dinner I was so tired, first day back was tough

Happy Tuesday all,

Today is Bloodmobile day - UGH!!! Not my favorite day that's for sure. Doug donates and as I type is giving doubles/platelets. Bless him!

Yesterday it was so windy here I was afraid to be outside. Winds were 40 -50 mph with gust of 70+. Elizabeth went to Wal Mart last night and said it was like playing bumper pool with all of the carts in the parking lot. She has a brand new car and was so afraid of getting a cart in the side that she parked about a mile away but then was afraid she'd blow away, (she's all of about 100 pounds and 5') :) Today is to be very windy again but not like yesterday. I really don't like the wind.

PIO ~ safe travels! And there will be a TR right??

Alison ~ I am so excited to hear all about your travels. I haven't seen a link yet, but you will be taking us along right?

Brandi ~ Wow, those 6 weeks went fast. How are you feeling? I would have like to see you go back part time for the first week. Don't work yourself to hard lady, you did have a major surgery. Take care!!

Nan ~ How are you my friend?

Kimmar ~ How's the kitchen coming? That would be so hard and extra hard with a GF husband. Bless you!! But I can't wait to see the finished project.

WFDT ~ Oh man, I just realized I didn't take anything out for dinner tonight. Hummmmmmmm.............I guess I will have to think about this. I'll let you know tomorrow.

Make it a great day!

Ellen, talk about busy days. You and Doug have plenty of those too.

Yesterday was 7 weeks post op, and I swear they flew by. I can hardly believe it is March 7th. David's b'day is March 9 and he has requested Chicken Cordon Blu, potatoes, and green beans. His favorite dessert is German Chocolate cake, but I just don't have the time or stamina to make that right now. I also have not bought him anything for his b'day. Such a bad wife.

Happy Wednesday my friends.

Today the wind is only suppose to blow at 20+mph. There is a saying here in Nebraska that when the wind quits blowing we all fall over. Don't laugh, it was almost true this morning when I walked into the Church. We are to be around 60 today and tomorrow then cold and rainy over the weekend - of course!

Brandi ~ I am sure that David is perfectly ok without a cake or presents this year. I know he is just glad you are healthy and with him. You both have SO much to be thankful for.
Doug's favorite cake is German Chocolate also.

Well dinner last night was out. Ethan always walks down from the Middle School and I take him home. When he showed up yesterday he was so excited that his Nation History Project was finished (they - a group of 3 boys - have worked on this for 6 weeks) and they are taking it to the University today for presentation. I asked to see it. As he brought it up on his laptop - it was a power point - it didn't work. Oh my, I have never seen him so upset. Tears/sobbing ensued. My heart broke as he was so upset and knew he let his team down. Well long story short I called the school and we immediately went to the teacher and she helped him. We came back to the Church and he worked till almost 6pm, and got it back and running. Jay & Elizabeth had a meeting so we just took the boys out for dinner. Crisis adverted!!

WFDT ~ Lenten Dinner - Chicken noodle soup or Cream of Potato soup, hot buns and relish plate. Not my favorite, but at least I don't have to cook or clean up.

Make it a great day.

Hi ladies!

Yesterday was the first day back in the real world. We didn't wake up until 10:30AM and Fran stayed in bed a little longer. I made us patty melts and hash browns when we finally got up. We had to go to band so dinner was drive through. :crazy2:

Tonight I'm planning on making Chicken Vesuvius for dinner.

Brandi, I'm sure David is fine with no cake or presents, I'm sure he understands. I hope you don't push it too hard this week at work.

Ellen, I don't know much about religion, I thought you were only supposed to eat fish during Lent.

Thanks Ladies,

I think he is truly happy that I am healthy and recovering. I have a tiny bit of guilt that I did not have anything for him.
Tonight for dinner is up in the air, I have broccoli and some beans cooked, but other than that I am not sure.

I think we are in the 60's today also, but we have only had light wind lately.

Alison - hate the first few days back in the real world, not fun.
I did make it into the office today, and so far so good. I am in yoga pants, a tunic top, and a sports bra. LOL so really comfy! I have stayed in my office most of the day so not out in front of everyone.

WooHoo, it's Friday.

It is really cold here today. It is even suppose to snow tomorrow. We probably won't get anything but East in Lincoln they are to get 4-5". We are to just be cold and blistery. And yes, just 2 days ago we were in the 70's. Crazy, crazy weather.

We were going to go to the Horse races tomorrow but I think it is way to cold. I was really looking forward to going. We may still go, we haven't really decided yet.

Alison ~ Catholics are not to eat meat on Friday's during Lent, so they eat fish. But I am Methodist and we eat anything we want on any given day. :)
I can't wait to hear all about your recent travels.

Brandi ~ I saw that David did get his Cordon Blu. It sure looked good. I sure hope he had a great Birthday.

WFDT ~ Snackies!! We are going to the Winery with friends.

Make it a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Ellen, today we woke up cold also. It was 29 and will warm up to a 30 degrees, haha :)

Monday night into Tuesday we are expecting a foot of snow and ice. it is hard to deal with when we have been in the upper 60's and 70's for the past week. Crazy weather.

I did make his cordon blu and he was very happy! He loves it, he tells me all time that it is the best he has every had, I just tell him it has my love in it for him...

I took him to the liquor store and he bought a bottle of bourbon that he had been reading about and wanted to try, so I think I did ok. lol

Tonight is a huge salad for dinner! Got to take it easy after all that heavy fat french food!

Well dinner last night was out. Ethan always walks down from the Middle School and I take him home. When he showed up yesterday he was so excited that his Nation History Project was finished (they - a group of 3 boys - have worked on this for 6 weeks) and they are taking it to the University today for presentation. I asked to see it. As he brought it up on his laptop - it was a power point - it didn't work. Oh my, I have never seen him so upset. Tears/sobbing ensued. My heart broke as he was so upset and knew he let his team down. Well long story short I called the school and we immediately went to the teacher and she helped him. We came back to the Church and he worked till almost 6pm, and got it back and running. Jay & Elizabeth had a meeting so we just took the boys out for dinner. Crisis adverted!!
Make it a great day.

Elon, my dear friend....I give up! Ethan in Middle School????????? I remember when he was born...it was yesterday!

I am so glad you managed to avert that crisis, his commitment is commendable!
I am fine, but busy. I work for a CPA, and while I do not do taxes, I support the accountants who do. The office is humming! It is crazy!!!

Allison- welcome home!!!!

Brandi-Your David would not care if you gave him chicken from Boston Market! LOL!!!! YOu try not to overdo, going back to work after surgery is tough! Im glad you made his birthday dinner, but you please be careful!

Kim are- how is the demolition/renovation coming?

SO dinners have been happening in the G household, and generally they are healthy. Bud got heck from the DR, so he has agreed to eat what I cook....even if it does taste like "an old boot"..... translation: whole grains! LOL!!!

I have gotten him to switch to some pretty grainy whole grain bread, and the DR refused to listen to his reasoning why he makes skimpy sandwiches. He tried to tell him he was saving money! (He does this so he can eat more than 3 sandwiches. If you make them too fat, he gets full!) ALso, we have had spaghetti with whole grain pasta, fish (WE are Catholic, no meat in Friday) although how beautiful wild caught cod with a buttery Lemony crust or pinko coated tilapia is a sacrifice is beyond me.

Tonight is pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions, and green beans. No diet on Sunday!

Ladies, if anyoen is in the line of snow fire, stay safe. We are looking at a major storm on Tuesday, so I have bought plenty of food and beverages. No donuts....although I do want to head to Mrs. Murphys for donuts, JIC! LOL!!!

have a great evening!

Nancy,

I have been taking it easy really, David is so over protective it is funny. He does not like me to do anything. When I cook, I do it in sessions, I just do a little rest, then do a little, then rest, etc...

Today has been a lot of cleaning, but again I am not allowed to stretch, bend too much, lift anything, etc.

Dinner tonight is fish, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, and bell pepper.

Have a great day everyone.

The snow should start tomorrow evening and last until Tuesday afternoon, and 12 to 18 inches is what is being called for.
Stay Safe.

Nancy,

I have been taking it easy really, David is so over protective it is funny. He does not like me to do anything. When I cook, I do it in sessions, I just do a little rest, then do a little, then rest, etc...

Today has been a lot of cleaning, but again I am not allowed to stretch, bend too much, lift anything, etc.

Dinner tonight is fish, Brussels sprouts, cucumber, and bell pepper.

Have a great day everyone.

The snow should start tomorrow evening and last until Tuesday afternoon, and 12 to 18 inches is what is being called for.
Stay Safe.

I knew David would be hovering, and Good for Him!!!! You are his most precious, my dear. Just be mindful that as you continue to heal, you forget that it takes a long time to heal what you cannot see.

I think our latest guesstimate is 18 to 24. I am an admin on a usually contentious town forum, but today it is hysterical! One post about getting ready for snow, and it was on!!! We are having a ball, between the snow thread and our Police Department posts getting shared, well I love our town!

You stay safe as well!

nothing here really, no one is posting much about the snow, i think we are all just pretending it is not happening. :)

24 is a lot of snow. Stay safe in that mess.

I was planning on being home on Tuesday anyway, easing back into work, go into the office MW&F and work from home on T&T.
Now David is planning on being home with me so I don't shovel snow :)

H

Kimmar ~ How's the kitchen coming? That would be so hard and extra hard with a GF husband. Bless you!! But I can't wait to see the finished project.
WFDT? My girlfriend invited me to her house to cook - I made a big pot of meatballs and sauce and a Pyrex lasagna pan of baked ziti.

nothing here really, no one is posting much about the snow, i think we are all just pretending it is not happening. :)

24 is a lot of snow.....
....we got about 9 inches, but a wet, heavy snow, followed by sleet and NASTY winds. No school today, and we just got the call - no school tomorrow either!

Kim are- how is the demolition/renovation coming?
20170227_180115_zpsqog1riud.jpeg

....this one shows the new oak flooring...

20170308_165456_zpsntpu7ydq.jpeg

I have no idea how much snow we got, but it wa a doozy!!! Windy and very cold.It was nice to be indoors today!

Kimmar, So the stuff you cooked was to take home and eat this week? Microwave meals? I don't know how I'd survive without the kitchen! You are a real trooper!

WFDT? Anything we can find in the fridge. We have leftovers from take out last night (Italian), dinner out Sunday (German), and EZ packaged dinner Sat (Chicken cordon blue, pkg noodles and frozen GB). I have chicken vesuvius from Wed, but I doubt that's good any more. I ate Thursdays leftovers for breakfast yesterday!

Last edited:
Last night we had cauliflower, mashed potatoes with gravy and David had a flat iron steak.

I had a horrid night sleep last night, my back hurt all night, I have to find a way to strengthen my lower back.

I can't believe it is Friday. The weeks and days just fly by.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!

Nan ~ I know - I can't believe it either. Yesterday sent me a picture saying - it Official!! Lilly got her kindergarten registration and last week Liam got his shots. Those two babies are starting school in the fall. How in the he** did that happen??!! When I started on here Matthew was Ethan's age and now he is married. Unbelievable!!

Kimmar ~ I love the floor. It is going to be beautiful!

Alison ~ Welcome home.

Brandi ~ Please take it easy. I can't believe it is Friday. The weeks and days just fly by.

We are having beautiful weather right now. It was 82 yesterday. Cooper and I went for a nice long walk. He loved it. He has put on a few pounds over the winter so we need to get him out a little more. He slept like a baby last night. It is suppose to be in the high 80's on Sunday. Doug and I have already decided to go golfing. The grass and greens will still be brown but it is just too nice to not go.

WFDT ~ Corned beef and cabbage and of course a green beer.

Make it a great day and a wonderful weekend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter