• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

:wave:

School goes back in after the long summer break next week. Hopefully, that'll put us back into some sort of routine.
Life's been a little hectic and I've been out photographing in my spare time. I don't think I've spent hardly anytime with DS and DH at all.

It's Saturday morning here and we have the standard cleaning chores to get done. DH is making pancakes for breakfast and then we'll get started.
We're heading out for a concert tonight; so there's no cooking dinner. We'll probably be eating out. :)

WFDT? I woke up at 5:50AM this morning, with a very dry throat, a stuffed up nose, and an achy body....I feel like I have the chills too, so dinner tonight is an easy-peasy one: chicken thighs in the crock pot, a rub over all the pieces, and a mixture of two types of BBQ sauce poured on top.....it doesn't need to be watched; I'm going to finish my lesson plans and go lie down for a while....

Last night I made sausage and peppers with tomatoes and penne. Tonight we're having sloppy Joes and Cole slaw. It's raining here today so a good day for staying home and planning trips!

Thursday morning and all's pretty well over here.

We've been having a real mixed summer season. Hot and blue skies one day; grey, gloomy and drizzle on the next.
DS has headed back to school and all the extracurricular activities have also kick started for the year. We're starting to settle back into normal routine again.

That also means that I'm starting to get interested to be back in the kitchen again. So that meant spag bol for dinner on Sunday night, home made burgers on Monday and DH made the standard baked potatoes on Tuesday. Last night was dinner at mum's.
WFDT? Our normal routine for Thursday is to go get some ramen noodles at the Japanese noodle bar near us. We have to run to one of those extracurricular activity classes tonight; and doing the ramen noodles is simplest.

Hope everyone is well!

It's been so quiet in here! I haven't checked in since our rainy day on Sunday. Well Monday night was Chicken Marsala with asparagus, and Parmesan Spinach Orzo.
Tuesday night was sub sandwiches on the way to band practice.
Tonight we are having Canneloni, they are the same ones that I made (back when we were doing the group dinners) when "tubular" was the challenge. I made a marinara sauce with some pre jarred Trader Joes sauce and added my own onions, mushroom and garlic, plus some extra spices. Now all I have to do is spoon it over the Canneloni and sprinkle with Mozzarella. I think I'm going to make the rest of the asparagus to go along with it.

Thursday night check-in.

DH stayed home tonight whilst DS and I headed to the Ramen noodle bar for dinner. I made DH some rice congee; and even that was hard for him to swallow.
Tomorrow is a work day and I'm catching up with friends after work. Hoping for a fun night!

Catch y'all soon.

Hello all of my lovely friends,

Sorry I have been MIA, but between year end work and this crazy storm I just didn't make it in.

I haven't read back yet - I will later - but I wanted to pop in and say we survived the Storm/blizzard. Thanks so much for all of your texts, PMs and prayers. This storm was a doozy. I rode into work with Doug this morning and was shocked at all of the snow. Going down the streets you can't even see the buildings or houses, the snow is so high. It is like driving through tunnels. School is back open today and people for the most part are being careful, but there is always that "one" (usually in a HUGE 4 wheel drive pickup) that thinks they don't have to be careful. It will be a few days before we are completely back to normal. The final accumulation was 18-24". With living in the country we have patches where there is no snow and then drifts up to 8'. The wind was blowing at 35- 50 mph. And living on the plains there isn't a whole lot to stop it until it does and then it drifts. We haven't had a snow like this in many years. The interstate was closed from the WY border to Lincoln till yesterday. You should have seen the 3 miles from town to the interstate - it was packed with 18 wheelers. Quite the site.

I am back to work today and I have a lot to do, but I just had to stop in and let you all know I survived.

WFDT ~ Chicken pot pie, and a wedge salad.

Make it a great day!

Glad to see you check in here. I was wondering what happened to you. I didn't realize there was a storm in your neck of the woods. I'm glad you made it through OK.

Nothing much going on here. Just trying to dig out the old house. I'll be taking a few loads of boxes to storage today.

Dinner will be Costco Chinese Chicken Salad.

Well looky here, I am in here 2 days in a row. I sincerely hope this continues. I see no reason not to as things are pretty quiet for now.

PIO ~ I can't believe summer break is over already. I always hated to see vacation over with. I know I am in the slim minority, but I always loved summer with no schedules, bedtimes and lunches to make. The day school started was a sad day for me.
Hope you had a fun night with friends.

Alison ~ Bless you! You are really getting through all of the boxes. Pretty soon it will be done and then you can enjoy yourself. I am sorry that I don't feel terribly sorry for you - now just wait a minute before you get mad at me. I would give ANYTHING if when I am tired of doing something I could put it off and go play at Disneyland. You my friend, are SO lucky. And you know what - it will all be there when you get home. But good for you for taking a bit of time for yourselves and having fun. It will get done!!

Kimmar ~ How is DH feeling? And you too? Well you beat us on the snow. We only got 21" officially but our biggest problem is the 6' - 8' drifts. We got a 45+ mph wind with ours.

Brandi ~ How are you? I miss seeing you!

Guess what - it's snowing again. I had to drive into town today as I had to take Ethan to school. OH MY GOODNESS I would have much preferred to have gone to the dentist. And you all know how much I dread that. The roads are horrible yet. My car sits close to the ground and there were times I was dragging. And the people - oh my - do NOT have any patience or manners at all. Just to get to the school we were backed up 4 blocks. There was this black pickup that cut in front of me - after all he was above waiting his turn - and then gunned it. He ended up fishtailing and getting stuck in a snow drift. I couldn't help my self - I totally laughed at him as I passed him. He flipped me off - but it was SO worth it. :duck:

So who are you all predicting to win the Super Bowl. I am going for the Broncos!!!

WFDT ~ Clam Chowder and home made sour dough bread.

Make it a great day and a wonderful weekend.

That's a funny story Ellen. Aren't you afraid in such a small town that someone like that would come back and try to "get" you, though? Or is it only in LA that people think like that? I can't even IMAGINE what living in snow is like. It snowed on us in Bryce Canyon on our road trip in May, but I'm pretty sure that would be what was called just a dusting for you. There was hardly any accumulation and it was cold, but not terrible. We also had no jackets or gloves so we didn't stay out in it long.

Last night I felt really icky so we skipped the planned dinner and did take out Chinese. Wonton soup was perfect for me feeling nauseous and a little fried rice was good too. So we'll try for the Chinese Chicken Salad tonight.

Hello all of my lovely friends,

Sorry I have been MIA, but between year end work and this crazy storm I just didn't make it in.

I haven't read back yet - I will later - but I wanted to pop in and say we survived the Storm/blizzard. Thanks so much for all of your texts, PMs and prayers. This storm was a doozy. I rode into work with Doug this morning and was shocked at all of the snow. Going down the streets you can't even see the buildings or houses, the snow is so high. It is like driving through tunnels. School is back open today and people for the most part are being careful, but there is always that "one" (usually in a HUGE 4 wheel drive pickup) that thinks they don't have to be careful. It will be a few days before we are completely back to normal. The final accumulation was 18-24". With living in the country we have patches where there is no snow and then drifts up to 8'. The wind was blowing at 35- 50 mph. And living on the plains there isn't a whole lot to stop it until it does and then it drifts. We haven't had a snow like this in many years. The interstate was closed from the WY border to Lincoln till yesterday. You should have seen the 3 miles from town to the interstate - it was packed with 18 wheelers. Quite the site.

I am back to work today and I have a lot to do, but I just had to stop in and let you all know I survived.

WFDT ~ Chicken pot pie, and a wedge salad.

Make it a great day!

WOW! Ellen. I knew there was a lot of snow in your part of the world but that's an avalanche!

Glad you're safe.

Guess what - it's snowing again. I had to drive into town today as I had to take Ethan to school. OH MY GOODNESS I would have much preferred to have gone to the dentist. And you all know how much I dread that. The roads are horrible yet. My car sits close to the ground and there were times I was dragging. And the people - oh my - do NOT have any patience or manners at all. Just to get to the school we were backed up 4 blocks. There was this black pickup that cut in front of me - after all he was above waiting his turn - and then gunned it. He ended up fishtailing and getting stuck in a snow drift. I couldn't help my self - I totally laughed at him as I passed him. He flipped me off - but it was SO worth it. :duck:

Stay safe!

Its Chinese New Year on Monday. Today, was spent running around getting "stuff". And it's hot here. But at least I don't have to deal with the white stuff that Ellen has to.

WFDT? Something simple. I may well just do sandwiches.

Hi everyone! :flower1:
It's been forever since I've been on the DIS!
I've really missed this thread.
-Tracey

Just checking in on a Monday afternoon.

We're nearly at the end of official summer and I have to admit that I'm probably seeing too much sun right now. My skin kinda feels 'burnt'. When you get that feeling, it's definitely time for cooler conditions.

Hope everyone is well.

Hi All!!

WooHoo, I was so happy that the Broncos won. We had chili, and snacks for the game. But dang I must have gotten more wound up that I thought as I slept horrible last night. Was awake every 2 hours on the dot. I am a tired girl today. I think I was in the minority though, I loved the halftime show. I was glad it was not so in your face. I thought they all did a great job. Even if Beyoncé about biffed it.

WFDT ~ Corn chowder, and cheese and herb bread.

Make it a great day!

Afternoon all,

I keep trying to get in here and something keeps coming up. It's now or never.

trublue ~ welcome back!! You've been missed!

PIO ~ Your skin feels burnt and mine is so dry in this bitter cold weather we are having. I can't wait for summer.

Alison ~ Naw, I am not afraid of him coming after me. He was just upset that he looked like a fool. That is maybe a good thing about living in a small town.

The sun is shining today but the wind is blowing and the temps are only in the teens. So it feels a lot colder than it looks.
I have a massage right after work tonight. I can't wait.

WFDT ~ Chicken spaghetti, garlic bread sticks and tomato moz. salad

Make it a great day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter