• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

Rodeo Wednesday,

Brandi ~ Thanks for the get well wishes, they really worked. I feel 100% today. I took a Claritin last night - I have never EVER had allergies but when looking at the vast assortment of remedies that was the one that clicked everything off for me. WOW, it must have worked because I feel great today. Thank goodness!
I hope you get some relief soon. Bless you!!

Tonight is our first night of the Rodeo. Doug and I are so excited. We will leave as soon as Doug gets off of work. These next 4 nights will be late ones, but I will NOT complain about being tired. ;)

Ethan won his last game last night. What a great year they had. They ended the season 7-1. We took the boys out for ice cream afterwards. Fun night!

WFDT ~ will be at Merrick's in North Platte. Our favorite little hole in the wall that the average person does not know about. Usually just locals there. Home cooking at cheap prices. We can't wait.

Make it a great day!!

Good morning.

Well, 2 nights of the Rodeo are done and we are having a great time. So far no rain either!! It has rained every overnight, but always after midnight. In fact we have gotten another 2 1/2" since last Saturday - We need NO more rain!! Tomorrow, we are picking up the boys (Elizabeth does NOT do rodeos and Jay is at his 2 week Guard training) and going to the parade. Stephanie, Marty and the girls will meet us for dinner then we will all go to the Rodeo. It will be so much fun with all the Grands there. I can't wait!!

WFDT ~ I told you about our little hole in the wall we eat at in North Platte
Thursday - Cheese burgers with fries
Last night - Beef liver and onions with mashed potatoes. YUM!!
Tonight ~ Taco Salad. I saw one delivered last night and knew right away I was going to have that!!

Make it a great day all and a wonderful weekend!!

Happy Saturday everyone!

House is all cleaned, all other chores done and I'm hoping for a simple and quiet afternoon. It's been a hard week at work this week....my patch is looking great but I seem to have a knack of attracting other people's issues this week. Can I just whine a little? Why is it suddenly my problem when I did all the right things and am just ticking off my deliverables? Now I have to go help other people build their deliverables!!!! It's just SOOOO unfair that I have to clean up someone else's mess.

WFDT? No idea.

Rodeo Wednesday,

Brandi ~ Thanks for the get well wishes, they really worked. I feel 100% today. I took a Claritin last night - I have never EVER had allergies but when looking at the vast assortment of remedies that was the one that clicked everything off for me. WOW, it must have worked because I feel great today. Thank goodness!
I hope you get some relief soon. Bless you!!

Tonight is our first night of the Rodeo. Doug and I are so excited. We will leave as soon as Doug gets off of work. These next 4 nights will be late ones, but I will NOT complain about being tired. ;)

Ethan won his last game last night. What a great year they had. They ended the season 7-1. We took the boys out for ice cream afterwards. Fun night!

WFDT ~ will be at Merrick's in North Platte. Our favorite little hole in the wall that the average person does not know about. Usually just locals there. Home cooking at cheap prices. We can't wait.

Make it a great day!!
I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better!
Oh what fun the Rodeo! I know you guys have so much fun during this time. Excited for you!

Good morning.

Well, 2 nights of the Rodeo are done and we are having a great time. So far no rain either!! It has rained every overnight, but always after midnight. In fact we have gotten another 2 1/2" since last Saturday - We need NO more rain!! Tomorrow, we are picking up the boys (Elizabeth does NOT do rodeos and Jay is at his 2 week Guard training) and going to the parade. Stephanie, Marty and the girls will meet us for dinner then we will all go to the Rodeo. It will be so much fun with all the Grands there. I can't wait!!

WFDT ~ I told you about our little hole in the wall we eat at in North Platte
Thursday - Cheese burgers with fries
Last night - Beef liver and onions with mashed potatoes. YUM!!
Tonight ~ Taco Salad. I saw one delivered last night and knew right away I was going to have that!!

Make it a great day all and a wonderful weekend!!
All the grands at once, wow that should be fun and exciting.
Dinner sounds good, and as a young adult I used to love, LOVE liver and onions.

Happy Saturday everyone!

House is all cleaned, all other chores done and I'm hoping for a simple and quiet afternoon. It's been a hard week at work this week....my patch is looking great but I seem to have a knack of attracting other people's issues this week. Can I just whine a little? Why is it suddenly my problem when I did all the right things and am just ticking off my deliverables? Now I have to go help other people build their deliverables!!!! It's just SOOOO unfair that I have to clean up someone else's mess.

WFDT? No idea.
Girl, I am so right there with you. I too have become the problem solver, and getting all the things other people cant do.

You can take in a positive light, at least they trust you to do it right, they know you rock, and they hopefully will compensate you for it.

Happy Monday all,

PIO ~ I agree with Brandi - I am sure they ask you to "fix" things because they know it will then be done right. But I do understand!! Not always is being the "fixer" fun. This really kind of made me laugh, because on Saturday I got 2 phone calls and 1 on Sunday from groups at the church to "fix" things. REALLY!!! But of course I did, but I do know the frustration also.

Brandi ~ When Doug and were first married and we had the girls, we didn't have a lot of money, and I would be able to buy a container of liver for .50 with 3 large pieces. I would tell the girls we were having steak for dinner. They loved it............now that they are older - they "HATE" it. Just makes me laugh!!

Oh my goodness all, we had a ball on Saturday. I was totally in my element with all of my kids (except Matthew) and my grandbabies. We had so much fun. Hopefully many good memories were made. Stephanie text me after they got home thanking us. She said it brought back so many memories for her and she can't wait to make this a tradition for her family. My heart was so full!!

Yesterday after church we all went to brunch then spent the day with Doug's Dad. We had a nice visit. I took Doug (just the 2 of us) out to the Marina for dinner last night. It was a beautiful night out, plus they had a one man band that was fun.

I am leaving at noon today to take Ethan birthday shopping. He is going to be 11 on Wednesday - how in the heck did that happen. He wants new golf clubs so I think that will be our first stop. We are a BIG golfing family and the little scoot is pretty good. I can't imagine how good he will be with clubs that really fit him. We were going to go to a movie and then dinner (which will now be lunch), but found out yesterday that his first day of baseball playoffs is tonight at 6:30, so the movie will have to be a raincheck for later.

WFDT ~ Pulled brisket (in the crockpot) potato salad and sliced tomatoes.

Make it a great day!!

Happy Monday all,

PIO ~ I agree with Brandi - I am sure they ask you to "fix" things because they know it will then be done right. But I do understand!! Not always is being the "fixer" fun. This really kind of made me laugh, because on Saturday I got 2 phone calls and 1 on Sunday from groups at the church to "fix" things. REALLY!!! But of course I did, but I do know the frustration also.

Brandi ~ When Doug and were first married and we had the girls, we didn't have a lot of money, and I would be able to buy a container of liver for .50 with 3 large pieces. I would tell the girls we were having steak for dinner. They loved it............now that they are older - they "HATE" it. Just makes me laugh!!

Oh my goodness all, we had a ball on Saturday. I was totally in my element with all of my kids (except Matthew) and my grandbabies. We had so much fun. Hopefully many good memories were made. Stephanie text me after they got home thanking us. She said it brought back so many memories for her and she can't wait to make this a tradition for her family. My heart was so full!!

Yesterday after church we all went to brunch then spent the day with Doug's Dad. We had a nice visit. I took Doug (just the 2 of us) out to the Marina for dinner last night. It was a beautiful night out, plus they had a one man band that was fun.

I am leaving at noon today to take Ethan birthday shopping. He is going to be 11 on Wednesday - how in the heck did that happen. He wants new golf clubs so I think that will be our first stop. We are a BIG golfing family and the little scoot is pretty good. I can't imagine how good he will be with clubs that really fit him. We were going to go to a movie and then dinner (which will now be lunch), but found out yesterday that his first day of baseball playoffs is tonight at 6:30, so the movie will have to be a raincheck for later.

WFDT ~ Pulled brisket (in the crockpot) potato salad and sliced tomatoes.

Make it a great day!!
Ellen, you are always so busy, I don't know how you get anything done! LOL, I am so excited for you and the family and make traditions.

We had a great father's day at my house also, son came by for a visit and it was nice to have Father and Son together. Of course the daughter never called, or text anything, she is just too wrapped up in herself to think of anyone else, just gets me mad.

Anyway,

Dinner last night was quinoa, rice, bell peppers, cucumbers, and tuna steak for David

Things have been so crazy for me. When I finally fix dinner and sit down in my chair I'm exhausted and can't muster the strength to type on the computer. During the day, Fran chastises me if she sees the DIS on my screen.

We've been eating well for the past three nights. Friday was Mahi Mahi on the grill topped with a lemon butter and served with sautéed spinach, with a celery, mushroom and red onion hash under the fish.

Saturday we went to Costco and they had a seafood road show. We bought 3 lbs of halibut which I had to then butcher and filet. Ever debone and remove the skin from a Halibut? :faint: we got seven filets and a nice chunk that the cats enjoyed. I have five filets in the freezer for a dinner later. We had a salad and TJ's mushroom risotto with the halibut.

Last night we had king crab legs with creamed spinach. I was too tired from playing a concert in the sun that afternoon to make a fresh vegetable, so we had frozen. Fran is getting a cold and fell asleep in the middle of dinner.

I'm guessing we're skipping the meal for this month since I haven’t even had the time to post last month's recipe. Maybe we can pick it back up in July.

Tonight who knows what's for dinner. Until she got sick, Fran and I were going to drive to a place an hour away to pick up a cat wheel and then have dinner at a place we used to love, but our local one closed. Now I'm taking Darcy and have no idea when we'll get home and what I'll fix!

Things have been so crazy for me. When I finally fix dinner and sit down in my chair I'm exhausted and can't muster the strength to type on the computer. During the day, Fran chastises me if she sees the DIS on my screen.

We've been eating well for the past three nights. Friday was Mahi Mahi on the grill topped with a lemon butter and served with sautéed spinach, with a celery, mushroom and red onion hash under the fish.

Saturday we went to Costco and they had a seafood road show. We bought 3 lbs of halibut which I had to then butcher and filet. Ever debone and remove the skin from a Halibut? :faint: we got seven filets and a nice chunk that the cats enjoyed. I have five filets in the freezer for a dinner later. We had a salad and TJ's mushroom risotto with the halibut.

Last night we had king crab legs with creamed spinach. I was too tired from playing a concert in the sun that afternoon to make a fresh vegetable, so we had frozen. Fran is getting a cold and fell asleep in the middle of dinner.

I'm guessing we're skipping the meal for this month since I haven’t even had the time to post last month's recipe. Maybe we can pick it back up in July.

Tonight who knows what's for dinner. Until she got sick, Fran and I were going to drive to a place an hour away to pick up a cat wheel and then have dinner at a place we used to love, but our local one closed. Now I'm taking Darcy and have no idea when we'll get home and what I'll fix!

Hugs my friend.

You are so busy, hope you are taking care of yourself.

Morning girlies,

Brandi ~ Sometimes, that is my problem - I don't get things done. I need to wash so bad right now and I really don't know when I will get it done. We are gone or busy every night this week and we are gone on the weekend. My house is TOTALLY screaming at me - but you know what, it will be there when I get to it. Where is my Hazel with I need her. ;)

Alison ~ Bless your heart!! I was really hoping by now that Fran would be feeling better. I sure wish there was something I could do to help you.
I know sometimes I feel guilty of my time on here and then I really think about it. And I realize it is cheaper and better than therapy. Just remind Fran that you need an out once in awhile too.

The shopping trip was successful. We were able to get a great set of clubs for Ethan. He was thrilled. Plus he won his game last night. So tonight we have to travel about 50 miles SE of us. Hopefully tonight will be a win also. They were SO excited!!

WFDT ~ I think, with a traveling game tonight, we will eat something on the way.

Make it a great day!!

Ellen,

David worries about the house and how it looks and I keep telling him that it should not matter, people come to see us not our house. LOL, but of course he would freak out if it was not put together. I one the other hand could deal with a mess, but he can't so guess who does all the cleaning.

So glad to hear that the clubs were a hit and that they won. enjoy the game and have a great time with the family.

Good morning

Brandi ~ I totally understand. I am more like David and Doug, you. I totally freak out if the house is in a mess. If someone comes, it 99% of the time, looks great - just don't look in the corners. I am a bit OCD about mess and clutter, but I can let the dusting and vacuuming go for a bit. That is where I am now - it is neat and tidy but dirty. KWIM? Doug always wants to go and play on the weekends, but we have come to an agreement that if we want to go play "WE" have to take Saturday morning to work. The problem is we have been gone the last 2 weekends and this one coming up also.

Hi to everyone else!!

Well the boys won their game last night. It was a nail-bitter there for awhile. They were down 2 runs going into the last inning. Ethan (bless him) was up to bat with 2 outs and a boy on 2nd and 3rd and he hit a line drive right through 2nd & 3rd and got both boys home. He got to 2nd and the next batter got him home for the win. It was so exciting.

Today is Ethan's 11th birthday. I sure can remember how excited we all were for him to be born. He is our first Grandchild and loved by all. We are having a party tonight with cake and ice cream.

WFDT ~ Grilled pork chops, grilled potatoes with yellow squash and zucchini. and tomato salad.

Make it a great day.

Good morning

Brandi ~ I totally understand. I am more like David and Doug, you. I totally freak out if the house is in a mess. If someone comes, it 99% of the time, looks great - just don't look in the corners. I am a bit OCD about mess and clutter, but I can let the dusting and vacuuming go for a bit. That is where I am now - it is neat and tidy but dirty. KWIM? Doug always wants to go and play on the weekends, but we have come to an agreement that if we want to go play "WE" have to take Saturday morning to work. The problem is we have been gone the last 2 weekends and this one coming up also.

Hi to everyone else!!

Well the boys won their game last night. It was a nail-bitter there for awhile. They were down 2 runs going into the last inning. Ethan (bless him) was up to bat with 2 outs and a boy on 2nd and 3rd and he hit a line drive right through 2nd & 3rd and got both boys home. He got to 2nd and the next batter got him home for the win. It was so exciting.

Today is Ethan's 11th birthday. I sure can remember how excited we all were for him to be born. He is our first Grandchild and loved by all. We are having a party tonight with cake and ice cream.

WFDT ~ Grilled pork chops, grilled potatoes with yellow squash and zucchini. and tomato salad.

Make it a great day.
Congrats to Ethan on the win and what a clutch hitter! Way to go!

today was a PT day and it was rough, I am still feeling it. Tonight is a go home and relax, after dinner is made of course.

WFDT? Fried rice and some sort of Asian chicken dish. I just haven't decided yet. I'm cheating on the fried rice. I just made the rice. I usually make it at least a day before so it's old rice, as I've been taught. Oops!

WFDT? Fried rice and some sort of Asian chicken dish. I just haven't decided yet. I'm cheating on the fried rice. I just made the rice. I usually make it at least a day before so it's old rice, as I've been taught. Oops!

Ooops, I usually don't think of it with enough advance time to make it ahead of time. I usually just make it the same day too.

Ooops, I usually don't think of it with enough advance time to make it ahead of time. I usually just make it the same day too.
I usually remember to make the rice a day or so ahead. I wasn't thinking. It was still good. :goodvibes

I have had it both ways before, so I do make it the day of, I throw it in the freezer after it has been cooked right up until it is time to fix. It dries it out some and cools it off.

This has been the looooongest week.

Brandi ~ Hopefully the therapy is helping.

YoYo ~ I love fried rice. Never ever heard of using "old" rice. I need to listen here more often. We think the way I fix it is good. Good grief if I made it like you - heck it might be even better. The most treasured item I have in my kitchen is my rice cooker. I love it. Do you use one?

Alison ~ It is so good to see you popping in. I think of you and Fran a lot. I hope things are getting better.

The Birthday party was a fun night. Elizabeth made an awesome cake. It was chocolate layers with 2 layers brownie with fudge and caramel between. Oh my goodness it was SO yummy.

I am doing something I never do tonight - Moley you would be proud - I am taking the night off. Ethan has another game about 45 miles away, Doug is golfing so I would have to go by myself, and I have a meeting about 25 miles away in the other direction. I am NOT going to either one. We are leaving tomorrow for the weekend and I am staying home to get some things done. I sort of feel bad, but on the other had I am totally ok with it. :)

WFDT ~ Grilled chicken over greens. Doug will eat at the Country Club.

Make it a great day.

This has been the looooongest week.

Brandi ~ Hopefully the therapy is helping.

YoYo ~ I love fried rice. Never ever heard of using "old" rice. I need to listen here more often. We think the way I fix it is good. Good grief if I made it like you - heck it might be even better. The most treasured item I have in my kitchen is my rice cooker. I love it. Do you use one?

Alison ~ It is so good to see you popping in. I think of you and Fran a lot. I hope things are getting better.

The Birthday party was a fun night. Elizabeth made an awesome cake. It was chocolate layers with 2 layers brownie with fudge and caramel between. Oh my goodness it was SO yummy.

I am doing something I never do tonight - Moley you would be proud - I am taking the night off. Ethan has another game about 45 miles away, Doug is golfing so I would have to go by myself, and I have a meeting about 25 miles away in the other direction. I am NOT going to either one. We are leaving tomorrow for the weekend and I am staying home to get some things done. I sort of feel bad, but on the other had I am totally ok with it. :)

WFDT ~ Grilled chicken over greens. Doug will eat at the Country Club.

Make it a great day.

I am sore today from Therapy yesterday and I have to go again in the morning, so it should be a fun day.... not!
But it is making a difference, I am getting better, it is just really slow.

I am glad to hear you are taking the night off. Enjoy yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter