The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Gorgeous morning here today! The sun is shining and it will get up to 86 degrees! The girls and I spent the morning cleaning the house, and harvesting the grapes. Now, I'm juicing the grapes, and tomorrow will bottle the juice.

The baby is napping, so after he wakes up, we'll all run to the library, and then to see Up at the dollar theater. We haven't seen it, yet, so it ought to be fun!

Tonight's dinner will be tuna casserole. If I decide I want to cook more than that, I'll make lemon chicken with pasta. We'll see!

Hugs and pixie dust to all of you! I promise I read, but I'm suffering from Swiss cheese memory lately. We're working on getting Timothy back to sleeping through the night, but all the teeth he is cutting are not helping! Please know that I'm thinking about all of you and you are constantly in my prayers!

We had pizza last night. Greg had some of the rum I brought home from Bermuda so he was snoozing by 10:30:rotfl:

Tonight the girls are going to Billy Elliott, Emily is excited because she is going on the train into the city alone for the first time to have an early dinner with Trent who is the lead in Billy Elliott. She has a serious crush on him:lovestruc
We were all invited backstage after the show tonight so I'm excited.

Gretchen, enjoy your day shopping!

Bethany such good news that your settled & happy!

Kat, Lily had a good report from the vet. Still on Prednisone but only every other day. She still has some pain but nothing like it was so I'm relieved.
Sammie was a huge part of your family it is such a loss, praying for peace in your house.:hug:

Janice, that was so scary! Glad they captured the guy.

We just picked Anabelle back up; she's good. :thumbsup2 They kept her because of the reaction she had last time; this time she was fine! :goodvibes She goes back in about 3 weeks for another round and they'll keep her again. I was a little worried about how she would act while there. The last vet asked her (an 8 week old puppy) "Why are you so bad?" and suggested to us that we should get her obedience classes. Today the people at this other vet office were sad we came to pick her up because they were having fun playing with her! :rotfl:

Hey y'all,

We really enjoyed my niece's show last night, it was a musical review called Doo-Wop to Disco with a cast of 8 great singers! Great music & we were of course super impressed with DN16 Kaitlyn. The rest of the cast was college age & she still blew away the audience with her solo.

Not doing much today, some grocery shopping, maybe church this evening. That way we can have family over to watch the Saints game tomorrow.

Bethany, I hope Annabelle does fine today!

Laura & Bethany,This is the Catholic School grading system down here:
Grading Scale
The numerical grading scale used is:
100-94 A Outstanding Achievement
93-86 B Above-Average Achievement
85-78 C Average
77-70 D Below-Average
69 U Unsatisfactory

Gretchen, Hope you feel better soon! Don't wear yourself out shopping, but have fun!

Glynis, You really are a superwoman! Not getting enough sleep & still you've harvested grapes & are juicing by 11:00! Wow!

Maria, Have fun at the play tonight! I enjoyed talking to you yesterday!:hug:

Kat, I remember that very well, falling apart everytime & walked in the door at home. It will get easier as time passes. One day at a time friend. :hug: I'll pm you with the ideas Maria & I talked about, but we didn't come up with a sure thing yet.

Janice, Have fun at the market!

Marilyn, I'm sorry you missed your godchild's game! Sounds like he is going to be one heck of a football player!

Aimee, I hope you're getting some rest today, so you can feel better!

Lauren, Reminder! You never told us the story!

We ended up grabbing a quick bite on the way out last night. I'm saving the gumbo for tomorrow, with maybe a beer can chicken & some salad. Tonight I'm thinking fish.

Have a great Saturday friends!:grouphug:

Bethany, I hope Annabelle does fine today!

Laura & Bethany,This is the Catholic School grading system down here:
Grading Scale
The numerical grading scale used is:
100-94 A Outstanding Achievement
93-86 B Above-Average Achievement
85-78 C Average
77-70 D Below-Average
69 U Unsatisfactory

She did. :goodvibes

That is VERY similar to ours. Only a point different here and there.

We are still not sure what she is. We were thinking part beagle but now I'm not sure. Maybe part dachshund. She has a long, skinny body but also long legs. :laughing:

We still don't have a clue what Winston is, or my foster dog Ace. Just good ol' mutts! The best kind :goodvibes Glad she did well today.

Quicky check in this morning. I have strep and am on Augmentin. However, I'm not too sick for the retail therapy day I promised my Mom we would have today. Kenny is still well even though all three kids now have strep so he is babysitting today.

Janice - Very scary, I'm glad they caught that guy! :eek:

Man, strep kicks my butt when I get it. I'm glad you're on the mend and feeling up to retail therapy.

Johnny & I went out to dinner last night. We had a wonderful meal and talked about Sammie all evening, remembering all the laughter she brought to our lives. When we got home we both broke down in tears, we're so used to her going crazy when we walked in after a night out.:sad1:

:sad1:

Tonight the girls are going to Billy Elliott, Emily is excited because she is going on the train into the city alone for the first time to have an early dinner with Trent who is the lead in Billy Elliott. She has a serious crush on him:lovestruc
We were all invited backstage after the show tonight so I'm excited..

How fun!! :cool1:

I slept until 1pm... and it felt so good. :laughing: We are undecided on dinner, may just get something out. DH wants to be stuck to the TV all day (football - :mad:) so it may be takeout or delivery.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I added another night on our Christmas trip! The airfare was HALF the cost if we flew out the day before so I just need to find a hotel for less than the price of the airfare difference in order to justify it =)

We were all invited backstage after the show tonight so I'm excited.

Kat, Lily had a good report from the vet. Still on Prednisone but only every other day. She still has some pain but nothing like it was so I'm relieved.
Sammie was a huge part of your family it is such a loss, praying for peace in your house.:hug:

Sounds like an exciting evening. I hope ya'll have a great time.

Quicky check in this morning. I have strep and am on Augmentin. However, I'm not too sick for the retail therapy day I promised my Mom we would have today. Kenny is still well even though all three kids now have strep so he is babysitting today.

Gretchen - I'm sorry you also have strep, but happy that you feel well enough to go shopping. Have fun and I hope Kenny stays healthy!!

Bethany Glad to hear you are settling in and liking it. I hope Annabelle has a better visit with the vet.

I slept so good last night. That guy carjacked at least 3 cars during his day and half spree and robbed the same bank he was supposed to be sentenced for. It was pretty unsettling especially since that bank is across the street from mine:scared1:. Here is a link if your interested http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-escaped-prisoner-19-sep19,0,4007009.story

Today is going to be quiet.:yay: I am going to the farmers market this morning. I have to get my tank refilled since I used it up last night with the pork chops thank goodness they were done.:rolleyes1

I'm SO glad they caught him; I agree with everyone else that it was very scary. When I first read the last part about needing to get your tank refilled because you used it up on the pork chops, I couldn't understand what filling up your car had to do with dinner:confused3. THEN I realized you meant the tank for the grill. Duh!:rolleyes1

I slept until 1pm... and it felt so good. :laughing: We are undecided on dinner, may just get something out. DH wants to be stuck to the TV all day (football - :mad:) so it may be takeout or delivery.

ETA: I forgot to mention that I added another night on our Christmas trip! The airfare was HALF the cost if we flew out the day before so I just need to find a hotel for less than the price of the airfare difference in order to justify it =)

Sleep probably is just what your body needed. And I'm sure you will find a room to more than justify the extra day!

Bethany - glad to here Anabelle did good at the vet.

Kathy :hug: - one day at a time :hug:

Last night's dinner was really fun. We had 11, which includes a 13 yo and a 2 yo - both sweet girls that I enjoy having around. When we bought our house 3 years ago and started to furnish it, I never expected to be entertaining such a large group so I bought a dining table that seats 6 when expanded. So last christmas, my present was bench that matched the table that can seat 3 (with the kids) and we squeeze 6 more around the rest of the table. I then bought two bar stools so we can seat everyone.

Tonight will be left overs.

Hi all! I am reading but I am down with the Nola bug :sick: It came on last night while was shopping adn is making me groggy. I'll catch up, just wanted to drop by.

Just a quick hello... feeling better. Been running errands all day. BBL.

Well wishes to my WFD family.

WFD- brickoven grilled roasted veggie pizza from the market

Bethany – I’m so happy Anabelle did so well today.:goodvibes

Aimee – Congrats on adding another night!!!!:thumbsup2

Maria – Enjoy your night tonight!:cool1:

Nan – Take care of yourself and get a lot of rest.:hug:

Ann – Glad to hear you’re feeling better!:goodvibes

Unfortunately I'm battling the darn vertigo again, not sure why this keeps happening.:confused3

Unfortunately I'm battling the darn vertigo again, not sure why this keeps happening.:confused3

Have they checked your ears? People who get inner ear infections can get veritgo, maybe there is something wrong inside your ears. :confused:

Went to yardsales this morning, got two nice Pyrex baking dishes and a Cooking Light cookbook. Tonight I am taking two of my godsons to see Monsters V Aliens at a local park.

Everyone who is feeling the sickies, feel better! Going to lay down for a little bit before I head out to see the movie.

All dressed up with no place to go......no Billy Elliot for us.
We are back home, DM has a bad stomach virus.

Kat, sorry your having vertigo problems. Please feel better.

Ann, how's Luke feeling?

Sheryl, did you buy a power strip?;)

Aimee what are your Christmas dates now?

Maria, sorry about your night. I hope DM gets well soon.
Luke is feeling good. He is being a little wild man today and making me a bit crazy.

What do you think of Colonial Williamsburg? I have never been. DH mentioned it today and now I kinda want to go there in Nov. instead of WDW. I think it would be a more relaxing vacation, and a much easier ride with the kids. We have been very lucky to have gonna to WDW alot since DS was born, and think it would be a nice change. DH is leaning toward WDW...why did he have to plant this seed in my head now???

Have they checked your ears? People who get inner ear infections can get veritgo, maybe there is something wrong inside your ears. :confused:

Yes and that's exactly what it is, ear infection, but I can't figure out why it keeps on happening.

Maria - Sorry you Mom isn't feeling well and y'all won't have your night out.:hug:

Making stir-fry tonight. Chicken n brocolli for Alex and a pork stir-fry for me.

I thought my brain was doing well today. But apparently I left my brain at home. I only bought bread and cookies at the farmers market :lmao: I did manage to get what I needed at Whole foods however.;)

I remember now why I HATE underwear shopping. I went shopping for the unmentionables and spent 45 minutes walking back and forth, I think talking to myself. I think some man who hates women designs and makes the underwires. I hate underwires.:mad:

Maria So sorry your plans changed. Did Emily ever hear where she was going to be relocated to for the play?

Kathy I'm sorry you are having veritigo problems again. :hug:

Nancy Baby germs are the worse. You can't dodge them:hug:

I remember now why I HATE underwear shopping. I went shopping for the unmentionables and spent 45 minutes walking back and forth, I think talking to myself. I think some man who hates women designs and makes the underwires. I hate underwires.:mad:

:rotfl: I agree!!!

I'm not real good at looking at a recipe and judging the outcome. It's a take off on Gen Tso's chicken. I saw it today and am considering trying it, does anyone think this will be very sweet, if so it probably wouldn't work for Johnny:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/airman-andersons-chicken-recipe/index.html

I'm not real good at looking at a recipe and judging the outcome.

:scared1:

Okay...Sheryl and I were talking about this the day that we went out to lunch in Mid-City with Lorie and Serena. I was talking about HOW anybody could just look at a bunch of words and know how it would taste! :rotfl: I'm sooo surprised you aren't good at that either! Phew I feel better now!! :goodvibes

:scared1:

Okay...Sheryl and I were talking about this the day that we went out to lunch in Mid-City with Lorie and Serena. I was talking about HOW anybody could just look at a bunch of words and know how it would taste! :rotfl: I'm sooo surprised you aren't good at that either! Phew I feel better now!! :goodvibes

Well, I can tell if it is something we'd like and for the most part can judge anything but sweetness, for some reason. Johnny has a thing about savory dishes being "too sweet".:rolleyes1

Gotta watch LSU.....GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!:cheer2:

No I don't think it would be too sweet. Does your grocery stores carry Iron chef sauces? They make a really good general tso sauce I also like sesame garlic.

I copy recipes by taste. I can figure most recipes from restaurants by taste. Unusual spices throw me though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter