The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

We had one of those "never a dull moment" days. Liam scratched his cornea at gymnastics today. It's nothing too serious but he has to wear an eye patch for a day, and his eye is bothering him a lot. He is having trouble keeping it closed, which is what he needs to do for it to get better, and he is whining a lot. Maybe some ice cream will help that, and then it will be time for bed. We just had takeout because it was too late after going to the doctor's for cooking.

Kathy -- Your Kyle is a very special young man, and you should be so proud of the job you and Johnny have done raising him. Your story about your conversation has me in tears. What he said was so true and heartfelt. You will always be Kyle's mom, and no matter what happens in his life, good or bad, he will want you there to cheer for him, comfort him, give him advice, etc.

Nancy -- Has Buddy heard anything more? If he does have kidney stones, I hope it passes easily and quickly. A friend of mine went through that...not fun!

Sheryl -- I hope Alexis is feeling better.

Maria -- I'm glad you had fun at the concert. I would have been touched by the woman's kindness as well.

Ellen -- Thank you for the continuing trip report! We all love AK too.

Janice -- I hope you're feeling better. Enjoy your days off!

Robin -- Good luck in all that traffic! I am glad we are not visiting the Cape this week.

Lauren -- I hope you're feeling better. I too wonder how you broke your stove.

Okay, I better go get that ice cream.

Janice, what are you going to do with your time off?

Robin, you better hide at home while the memorial is going on!

Nan, any Buddy news?

Sheryl, I missed that Alexis was sick.....hope she's better:hug:

Ellen, enjoying the TR~

Dinner was a pork lion I marinaded in rum, olive oil, lime juice & fresh herbs, corn & tri-color tomato salad.

We had one of those "never a dull moment" days. Liam scratched his cornea at gymnastics today. It's nothing too serious but he has to wear an eye patch for a day, and his eye is bothering him a lot. He is having trouble keeping it closed, which is what he needs to do for it to get better, and he is whining a lot. Maybe some ice cream will help that, and then it will be time for bed. We just had takeout because it was too late after going to the doctor's for cooking.

Kathy -- Your Kyle is a very special young man, and you should be so proud of the job you and Johnny have done raising him. Your story about your conversation has me in tears. What he said was so true and heartfelt. You will always be Kyle's mom, and no matter what happens in his life, good or bad, he will want you there to cheer for him, comfort him, give him advice, etc.

Poor Liam, hopefully the ice cream will help. Thanks so much for the sweet words about my boy.:hug: I probably need to stay off of here for a while because all I'm doing is crying and depressing everyone.

Poor Liam. Ice cream is a cure for anthing.

Making shrimp with curry and having it with some grits.

Having to run a Malicious Software remover on my computer, picked up a trojan! :headache: This computer is a pain in my rather sizable posterior! :mad:

Maria That pork loin sounds wonderful care to share the recipe?
Alex registers for high school tomorrow and we are going out to lunch so I can drown my tears in pretzel bread and maybe a cocktail ;). Where does the time go it. Seems like just last year I was buying his first backpack. :rolleyes1

Laura I hope Liam feels better soon. Eyes can be so sensitive.

Poor Liam, hopefully the ice cream will help. Thanks so much for the sweet words about my boy.:hug: I probably need to stay off of here for a while because all I'm doing is crying and depressing everyone.

Kathy You aren't depressing anyone. Stay around. :hug: To bad you aren't closer you could come to lunch with us and watch me cry.

:hug: This is incredible that this is posted right now.....last night Kyle saw me crying and we talked a bit, he said "Mom, you are the reason I'm going to LSU. I remember hating when you made me study for exams all weekend long, but now I understand. I remember hating when you grounded me all weekend long, but now I understand. You are the reason I am what I am and I love you. You don't get to not be my Mom, ever." OK, I'm bawling again....:sad2:
:cloud9: He is such a good guy, your son! Kat, he is right, you gave him the tools to grow and he did that well! Go ahead and cry though, it is a Mom thing :hug:

My best advise to you is to stay busy, talk to us your friends and to know that this to shall pass. My thoughts prayers and love are with you my friend.

Right you are :thumbsup2 I really needed a network of friends and thank God that I found these women. I have had my share or leaning on all of you and am happy to lend our Kat a shoulder or two.

I think I might have them again so I am drinking and drinking until I slosh.
QUOTE]

I sure hope not!

. My dad has some abnormal cells in his prostate that could become cancer. Even though he hates the procedure, he still goes every year. Since Buddy is aware of it, he might be uncomfortable but I'm sure he'll be fine. I believe it's very treatable if caught early. If it's "just" stones, I hope he's feeling better soon.

Good thing your Dad goes and has it checked. Buddy's Dad went to the Dr when he could not pee. Way too late :sad2: By then it had moved to his bone and then it just kept spreading. When Buddy kept seeing his family Dr I made the appointment and made him go. He has a Dr who he is terrified of now so he is in good hands :thumbsup2 (She barely breaks 5 ft, probably 4'10" and weighs 100 pounds and he is 6'6", 50 in shoulders and weighs 265. Can you see him with her :lmao::lmao:)

Okay, I better go get that ice cream.

Poor Liam! I remember that he is an ice cream cures all kid so thank goodness for that!

Thanks so much for the sweet words about my boy.:hug: I probably need to stay off of here for a while because all I'm doing is crying and depressing everyone.

Doooooooooooooooooooooon't you dare!!! We will hunt you down an make you come back! You come here and share how you feel, it is normal, it is okay and we all get it. It's okay to be sad, this is a changing point in his life and yours as well. You are lucky, Kat. Kyle is okay with you being sad, he knows that it is because you love him so much, I know he would rather you were happy but believe me, he can deal with the tears.

Can I tell you that I put Dan though Hell crying every time he went home? The worst was when we were at Disney adn he and Erica joined us. He got in the day that we arrived, which was a surprise. I started crying then and off and on the next few days. The night that he had to go home I was a mess, I missed him and he was not even gone. The next visit was the same way. And each one after that. He was okay though, after a while he just handed me tissues and laughed, they all did. I am convinced that hormones made me worse. That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Funny thing though, I never cried when I talked to him on the phone. It was like he was right here :confused3 weird huh?

Having to run a Malicious Software remover on my computer, picked up a trojan! :headache:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Dinner was really good. Marisa's casserole was good and my goulash was too! Welby stayed to eat tonight. She is really tired lately, the commute to work and the long hours are adding up. I used to set a plate at the table but she always went home and cooked dinner. I know she was beat when sh collapsed on the couch and let me give her dinner.

Nola is eating our people food now. I cut up grapes really small (I am scared of grapes) and she loved them. They were wicked sour but she ate them all up! I did find grapes in her shirt and her diaper....:rotfl: SHe makes this sour puss face, send me a long slow raspberry and ten laughs! Then all over again :lmao: SHe make me laugh all day long, she is that flippin cute!

Buddy is okay I guess. He is drinking drinking drinking! He goes tomorrow for an MRI so we'll see what it shows. he is getting used to all of you, I told him you all asked about his kidney stones :laughing: and he did not turn red and ppink!

Ice cream is a cure for anything.

It definitely helped improve his mood if not his eye. He can't close one eye and keep the other open (he says it hurts), so he was trying to eat without looking. I think he peeked a little, though, because he got every drop. :laughing:

I'm sorry you're dealing with computer issues.

Janice -- Good luck tomorrow. High school is such a big step. It sounds like you have a good plan in place, though, to help out with the emotions.

Nancy -- Nola sounds so cute! I hope Buddy makes out okay tomorrow.

Kathy -- You are not depressing! I think we can all agree that we don't just come here to find out what everyone is having for dinner. If it were, you would not need to start a new thread so often. ;) Seriously, I know I want to hear what is going on in your life, and all of the other wonderful women's lives who post here...good or bad.

I forgot to mention that my takeout dinner was Indian food, so it was pretty good. The kids had pizza.

Hey y'all, Sorry I haven't been around. Alexis got scary sick on Monday 102.7 fever. I couldn't drive, so Chris had to come home to get her to the dr. She has strep. Of course we had been together over the weekend, so by Monday night I started feeling sick. Yeah I came down with it too. Both of us are on meds, we're both starting to feel better. I'm worried about her though because she's coughing a lot & running low fevers. Aide was a no show this morning so I'm sick & literally tired. I'm sorry for not reading back & keeping up. I pray all is well with everyone. :grouphug:

Here's the recipe from tonight~

Pork Tenderloin Marinated in Rum~

• 1/2 -CUP O.J
  • 1/4 -CUP FRESH LIME JUICE
  • 1/4 CUP OLIVE OIL
  • 1/4 CUP DARK RUM
  • 2 CLOVES MINCED GARLIC
  • S & P
  • Fresh herbs you have on hand...I used rosemary & lemon thyme
  • Marinaded in the fridge for 3 hours in a ziplock bag, turning over 2x
  • I used the grill but I'm sure a grill pan would be fine.

Kat, you better not stay away.
We are here for good, bad, happy & sad times. Hiding is not allowed.

Sheryl we were posting at the same time. Poor Alexis.
Those aides are out of control. Please get some rest.

Prayers & hugs...

I have tomorrow and friday off from work. :yay::yay:This was such a long week for only 3 days.

:cool1:

Ouch! I hope it heals quickly; it's miserable not having your sight.

Buddy is okay I guess. He is drinking drinking drinking! He goes tomorrow for an MRI so we'll see what it shows. he is getting used to all of you, I told him you all asked about his kidney stones :laughing: and he did not turn red and ppink!

:laughing:

Hey y'all, Sorry I haven't been around. Alexis got scary sick on Monday 102.7 fever. I couldn't drive, so Chris had to come home to get her to the dr. She has strep. Of course we had been together over the weekend, so by Monday night I started feeling sick. Yeah I came down with it too. Both of us are on meds, we're both starting to feel better. I'm worried about her though because she's coughing a lot & running low fevers. Aide was a no show this morning so I'm sick & literally tired. I'm sorry for not reading back & keeping up. I pray all is well with everyone. :grouphug:

Oh no!!! Strep throat will kick your butt - I still remember how sick I was when I last had it. I hope you are both feeling better soon (and that your aide shows tomorrow!) :hug:

I still have no medication... it's neverending. The GI office decided to call the drug rep and see if she could get anywhere. It's my prescription insurance company that's the issue. :headache:

I had McDonalds :sad2:

Prayers for a quick recovery for you both.:hug:

I still have no medication... it's neverending. The GI office decided to call the drug rep and see if she could get anywhere. It's my prescription insurance company that's the issue. :headache:

I had McDonalds :sad2:

That is just so frustrating!

Have you had one of the new McDonald's angus burgers? I've heard they're pretty good.

WFD - Chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and corn......Kyle's request.;)bbl........

It definitely helped improve his mood if not his eye. He can't close one eye and keep the other open (he says it hurts), so he was trying to eat without looking. I think he peeked a little, though, because he got every drop. :laughing:

I can just picture your Pirate getting every bite of his ice cream :goodvibes I hope his eye is better today, thank goodness they heal fairly quickly!

I am so sorry that you and Alexis are sick! And the aide :mad::mad:

Feel better quick and don't worry about what you missed here. We are all fine.

Here's the recipe from tonight~

Pork Tenderloin Marinated in Rum~

Yum!

:cool1:I still have no medication... it's neverending. The GI office decided to call the drug rep and see if she could get anywhere. It's my prescription insurance company that's the issue. :headache:

I am so angry for you!

Well it is .................rainy......................again!

Kady and I are going to figure out what we want to pack for a trip to the beach tomorrow. Buddy is taking the day off so I hope he makes out okay for his MRI. In the meantime I am chasing Nola around the room. She is like Houdini and is not steady enough to just set free so Welby brought one of those big gate things that you can configure any way you want. Right now it is a big octagon, but yesterday she tried to climb it:eek: so I am not sure how long she will be okay in it. I am :faint: by Thursdays!

I have chicken to cook tonight.

Morning all! Yesterday was frozen pizzas. After running around trying to finish up school supply shopping for Emma (who knew belts and white poster board would be so hard to find!), 4 mile run, and an afternoon at the pool, I was exhausted! So easy dinner it was. Today I'm going to get King Ranch chicken casserole ready for my mom to pop in the oven this afternoon.

Sheryl--Ugh! Those aides of yours are making me :headache: What kind of society do we live in now where just not showing up is supposed to be ok? PD for you and Alexis to feel better soon. I am extremely susceptible to strep (crossing fingers I don't get it this year) so I feel your pain.

Aimee--Ah, welcome to my world of frustration with prescription insurance companies. Day in and day out we deal with this in the pharmacy, as I'm sure your docs do too. Somewhere in some dark office a bean counter is determining what medication they deem "okay" and what they won't pay for. It's so freakin' frustrating! I know the health care plan the government is proposing is very far from being what we need. But what some people need to realize is that private insurance are already practicing that kind of health care. Picking and choosing what they think we need. I have a friend who had breast cancer and her insurance refused to pay for her reconstructive surgery b/c ONE nurse (APN) was in the OR wasn't on her insurance plan. WTH? Makes me want to scream. Ok, enough of my frustration with insurance.

Kathy--no way are you to run off and leave us. You are actually making me feel better about being sad that Emma is heading to school next week. It's just hard for us moms to see our children moving on to different stages of life and growing in their independence. We can have a cry and a drink at F&W!

Laura--hope Liam's eye is better this morning. And yes, I believe ice cream can heal almost all wounds. At least make the pain go away!

Nan--hope Nola gives you a little break today, and that the rain holds off for your beach day tomorrow.

Okay, time to get the troops dressed and head out for milk and juice.

Good morning everyone.

Janice ~ LOL about the floor. It has/had to be something with the floor because it was the exact same place each and every time. :rotfl2:

Laura ~ I hope Liam's eye feels better today.

Kathy ~ PLEASE, please don't feel you are depressing and whining. You are NOT!! And don't think for one minute you need to leave. We will find you!! What you are feeling is so natural and an emotion we all have gone through or will go through at some point. Please talk/cry/whine all you want to. We love you and want to help. Sometimes it just helps to let it out. We are here for you ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Nancy ~ Please let us know how Buddy is feeling. Prayers are with him today.
Nola must be a real cutie. But I totally understand about fridays. :worship:

Sheryl ~ Oh no strep is a real bugger!! I hope you and Alexis will start feeling better. A cough at this point would not be real great for you. Please take care. And I so sgree - NO Aides is just unacceptable!!!! :mad:

Aimee ~ Good luck with the Pharmacy Companies They have to get this right at some point. Please hang in there!

Dinner last night all up in the air. Elizabeth called when I got home from work and asked me to go to Kearney with her. So . . . sorry boys you are on your own. I left a $20 bill on the counter and dinner was up to them. She cut and colored my hair and waxed me, Girls I feel like a totally new woman today. After we were finished we went out for dinner at a new Mexican place that was awesome. So good. What a fun night.

WFDT ~ I am on my own as it is a beautiful day out and the boys are going golfing. Only a few more weeks left that Doug & Matthew can golf together and it is starting to get real to Doug that Matthew will be leaving soon. So tonight is just the boys!!

Make it a great day my friends.

Good Morning! Can I say that the DIS is super slow for me lately and driving me nuts...I have no patience!

Thank you for all the good thoughts about me and my thyroid...I do feel better just a little shakey at times.

Robyn, I hope traffic cooperates with you. Thanks for the baby traveling tips!

Kathy, We are here for you so please do not disappear...I am glad that Kyle is getting his requested meal. It sounds really good! Love you!

I hope everyone that is not feeling good, feels better today...Sheryl, so sorry that you and your Princess are not feeling well. Strep is very uncomfortable but should be better after taking 1 or 2 days of Meds. Laura, I hope Liam's eye is a bit better today. Poor baby! :sad1:

Aimee, I am sorry you are having so many problems with the insurance. :hug:

Maria, I loved your story about your necklace! :goodvibes What concert did you go to?

Nancy, I hope Buddy gets a good outcome from the tests. Nola sure does sound like a cutie...we need more pics! I hope she lets you get some stuff done today!

Janice, Enjoy your day today and the rest of your long weekend. Time sure does fly...I cannot believe T is 5 months old already!

OK, so the stove story goes...I have an electric flat top...and one of the knobs was broken so I tried to fix it, well, the thing sparked and poof, the hole stove is broken now. I think something shorted.

So, cannot cook, so we are going out! :thumbsup2

Have a great day all! I am sorry if I missed something.

Just in case I drop out of sight for a bit ... I did not want anyone concerned! (Kathy / Maria) I am having trouble with our computer. It is always one expense after another. I am on DH's laptop now but I do not always have access to use it.

Please keep me posted if I miss anything major that happens. Hugs to all...from what I scanned we have alot of sickness around here lately.

----
Still no success with minivan purchase. That search continues.
My parents are on vacation this week in Lincoln, NH with my oldest brother and his family. Luke is having withdrawals, and is running up my phone bill chatting with them. :lmao: Emma is starting to fill out, and is smiling up a storm. Hopefully her sleeping improves soon. Right now I am getting up at 2am & 5am for the day.

WFD- American Chop Suey and garlic bread. May a caprese salad for me on the side, I have tomatoes I need to use. My DM cleaned out her fridge before they left and gave me alot of veggies.

Aimee~ I'm so sorry you dealing with insurance issues/medication while not feeling well, prayers for you.

Sheryl, hope you are feeling better. Poor Alexis, ice pops for both you girls & prayers for a quick recovery.

Laura, hope Liam is feeling better. When does the patch come off?
My ex husband elbowed me in the eye & scratched my cornea, 1 week with a patch. It's a very uneasy feeling trying to keep your eye closed. Poor guy.

Nan, any Buddy news?

Lauren you sure you broke the stove by accident?;)
We saw Crosby, Stills & Nash at the art center. While we were there they were offering $20 Peter Frampton tickets at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park. I'm not a fan but I figured I need to go to the Stone Pony before I'm to old to go.

Ellen, nothing like coloring your hair!!!!!:cool1:

Emily is in the city today...they flew in the choreographer from London earlier than expected so by 1 we should have the story:)

Dinner tonight will be something with chicken cutlet.

Hey y'all,

Sorry to be such a downer, but I could use some help. Anyone have any home remedies to stop coughing? Chris brought Alexis at 7:00 & she has been coughing non-stop. She gave her codiene cough med at 6:00. She's wide awake so I gave her a low dose of Robitussin cough, not helping. I've tried mint tea with honey, no help either. She was coughing up a lot of mucus earlier in the week but now that's lessened but now it's a hard dry cough. Any suggestions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter