The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Hello everyone! I hope all of the sickies are feeling better today.

Bethany, nice couch! It looks very comfortable. I have a super comfy couch that John and I call "tractor beam" because everytime you sit on it it is so comfortable that it makes you want to go to sleep!

I am really excited that Greg was able to get leave to join us at Disney! You all have to rub your fairy wands for me though...I need to add him to our Califnoria Grill ADR and right now the system is saying it's completely booked. I tried calling last night but no luck. The plan is to call every day, but since we will now be a party of seven I think it's going to be tough to add him. Fingers crossed!

So, here is what I made this weekend for food: Last night, John and I missed the usual Sunday family linner because we had to go to a wake for John's great-great aunt--she was 102!! When we got home I made braised pork chops and chicken sausages in a tomato ragout, it was really delicious.

4108069312_ff2d94a9ee.jpg

Saturday I made John a flat iron steak with red wine sauce, and I made myself a chicken breast stuffed with goat cheese. Side dishes were flattened baby red potatoes, spinach (bitter, yuck), and a delicious zucchini gratin.

4103770579_0c2a2137ca.jpg

Friday I made roasted garlic and wild mushroom pasta and a salad.

4103770795_71fe161a0a.jpg

Thursday I made roasted corn and hatch chile quesadillas. Forgot to take a picture of those.

Hmm...pasta two out of the last four nights. I guess I should make something else for the next few days! Right now I am leaning towards making soup for supper, not sure what kind yet.

Good morning.

Not sure what we'll be having for dinner. I need something quick and easy since we're still painting. I'll have to give some thought to dinner, I guess. Maybe Poor Man's Stroganoff. Maybe soup. Hmmmm.

I need to continue on cleaning out the fridges and oven in preparation for Thanksgiving. I just hate doing it! Ick!!! Oh well, gotta be done. I also need to de-clutter some more in the basement.

Have great days, and if you see me online, prod me to get going, will ya?

Becky - :wizard: that you can add Greg to your ADR! As usual, your pics are amazing!!!!

WFD - Red Beans and rice with grilled andouille sausages.

This cold is kicking my butt! If I feel up to it I might make the lasagna I didn't make yesterday.... Otherwise it will have to be take out....

WFD- Glynis pot roast with smashed potaoes and maybe carrots.
I have to start baking as hubby and both boys are going up north hunting Fri, Sat., and coming home Sun. Big request is cookies I hate doing cookies cause I end up eating them and cookies are not on my diet. :rolleyes:

Hope all that are sick start feeling better soon :grouphug:

WFD: Andrew's request: chicken ala king over rice...bbl to catch up. Took Riley to the vet this morning so that was a 3 1/2 ordeal. All is good though...now Tommy wants to eat...Have a great day!

Becky, Pixie dust to add Greg...if it doesn't happen just show up and I am sure they will accommodate.

Hi all! It’s Monday, so I’m playing catch up again! I hope all you sick folks are feeling better today.

We had a busy weekend. We had a funeral on Saturday for a family friend. She had MS and had been sick for some time, so this was expected. It was a nice service and the people who spoke reminded me of a lot of little things about her that I had forgotten.

It looks like Thanksgiving will be at our house, so I need to start cleaning up as well.

Laura - I’m very excited for you and the kids. Not only for the vacation, but that Greg will be home for Christmas!
Becky - I hope you can get your ADR's all adjusted.

Vickie - Wow!! That sounds like a bad dream. I think I would have run out the door before the appointment began!

I need to go to sleep. I read this as "pelican waffles" and was horrified. :rotfl2:
:lmao:

Aimee - I'm glad you had great retreat. Hope you are feeling rested. I hope today at work goes better than expected.

Glynis - good luck with the painting. I hope the colors work out and would love to see pics.

Are you kidding me....Ive never been so popular !!

We took the boy to get a new mattress today and he was so into it it made me laugh.
Trying them all out,askin Q's but as he said " he's 9 now and needs to be more involved and take more interest in family issues "....
BBL..x

:lmao: That boy is too funny!!

Lauri - how exciting that you have a trip coming up! Better to get the illness over with now.

Nancy - too funny about Kady getting sassy. Sorry that you didn't get with Maria. I hope she's feeling better soon.

Dinner tonight will be pork chops, brussel sprouts, rice and another veggie. The brussel sprouts are a first for me, so Bob promised an alternative if I don't like them! :rotfl:

Hi everyone! I spent the weekend having technical difficulties with Hailey's TV/VCR and our printer. And I'm not particularly mechanically inclined nor am I very patient. Honestly, I was glad to get to work this morning.

WFD - Chicken spaghetti, garlic bread, and salad.

Good afternoon everyone. Hope you all had a nice weekend.

Laura- I'm so glad Greg is able to go. One of my favorite things at disney is watching the kiddo have a great time, I'm glad Greg will be able to see Liam and Caili having so much fun. Good luck squeezing him in for dinner.

Bethany- That's one cute pup you have there! Your couch looks so comfy, I don't think I'd ever get up.

Lauren- Glad Riley is doing so well.

Glynis- My fridge is so easy to clean out at this point, there's nothing in it!

Dinner is mini turkey meatloaves, acorn squash, and mashed potatoes. We've had so much takeout food the past few days I just want a normal meal at home.

My gram's service was very nice, but it just still hasn't set in. The kiddo was great, it was her first funeral and wake but she did so good. It's still just a shock, she caught us all by suprise.

Have a great day all.

Marilyn -- I haven't been sleeping right ever since the time change. I've had some pretty bizarre dreams.

I do not know why it has bothered me so much this year, it's really weird.

Just doing a flyby, didn't get a chance to finish reading. Have set up for the football banquet tonight but am hoping I get home in time to make my Olive Garden crossover soup. Planning on making a cross between the sausage and gnocci soups from there. Talk to you all later.

Laura ~ Yea!! I am so excited that Greg is joining you for vacation and for Christmas. That is just awesome!! Prayers answered.

Kat and all else that are feeling poorly~ I hope you all are feeling better today.

Bethany ~ I love the new couch and Annabelle is darling.

Janice ~ Thanks so much for the Christmas list. I am so excited to be a part of this, this year. Thanks!!

I am off again today and tomorrow. I went for lunch with Ethan today. What a fun time that was. We had chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes with gravy, pineapple, peanut butter sandwich with a carton of milk. I am not a very fast eater but good grief we got about 15 minutes and then you hold your hands up and get up to clean your plate. I had no idea what was going on - everyone stopped raised their hands and they were done. Crazy!!!
They then went out to play and play they do. Then back to the classroom and I came home. What a good time that was. I hope to be able to do it again.

WFDT~ steak kabobs, rice, frog eye salad and brocoli with cheese sauce.

Make it a great day everyone!

frog eye salad

Ellen, I am a little afraid to ask!!! :rotfl: Recipe please. I know Bethany is going to have a heart attack when she reads this one.

Robin, your poor girl. A first funeral is very hard. I am glad you are both doing okay. May your Gram rest in eternal peace. :hug:

Maria, you are one very special lady. Thank you to you and Greg for always thinking of us. XoXo

---
That poor little NC girl's body was found. Prayers for that little innocent angel! This story just made me sick.

Our rain has stopped here and the sun is finally out.

Please say a prayer for DH. He is waiting to hear on a new job. He is very unhappy where he is currently working and a change would be great right now.

Emma goes for her 4 month check up tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see how much she weighs now. I just hate the thought of bringing her into any Dr. office right now.

Janice ~ Thanks so much for the Christmas list. I am so excited to be a part of this, this year. Thanks!!

WFDT~ steak kabobs, rice, frog eye salad and brocoli with cheese sauce.

This you need to explain!!

Janice -my thanks also!

Ann - good thoughts, prayers and pixie dust for DH.

Hey y'all,

I haven't read back carefully, so I'm sorry if I missed something big.

We had a busy weekend, house work on Saturday, grandparent's day Mass yesterday. Where Alexis told her teacher's aide that " No this is not my Maw-Maw & Paw-Paw, this is my Nana & Uncle Bob, they're kind of my fake Grandparents!":lmao::lovestruc

Laurie, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. :hug:

Maria, I'm sorry you are sick again! :hug:

Glynis, I didn't tackle anything like that, just touching up walls! The colors sound pretty, it's really going to brighten your cave! :goodvibes I'm getting lots of help getting the house ready for T-Day. Housecleaner coming next Monday & Stanley Steemer on Tues. Unfortunately I will still need to clean the fridges myself! Ugh I hate that job too!

Nancy, I'm sad for Kady & Buddy! ;)

Ellen, That lunch with Ethan sounds wild!

Becky, That pork chop looks fantastic!

Started doing some grocery shopping for the big day too. I'm going to try to do some of the cooking this week & put it in the freezer. Tomorrow I'll do my spinach artichoke casserole.
Dinner tonight is black beans cooked with smoked ham hock & chorizo!

Gotta go run & get Miss A from school. We went to Grandparent's Mass & reception yesterda. Where she told the teacher's aide that "Nooo, this is NOT my Maw-Maw & Paw-Paw, THIS is my Nana & Uncle Bob, they are kind of like my FAKE Grandparents! ":lmao::lovestruc

Oh I also have to tell y'all about setting my hair on fire!! Yeah:scared1: Yesterday, I picked the rest of my jalapeno & habanero peppers, decided to smoke them on the grill. Well I couldn't get the grill lit, so what stupid thing do I do? Yes stick my head right over the grill to look in, WHUUMMPPFFF..... Aaaaagggghhh! The front of my hair went up, Chris & Alexis were there, Chris runs out & starts hitting at my hair, she had on a black shirt & I see little bits of my hair all over her shirt, then I really freaked out!!! :scared:

It's actually fine & if I didn't point it out no one would know! I washed it & put a ton of conditioner. It's funny now that I know it's okay! :rotfl2:

Ellen, I am a little afraid to ask!!! :rotfl: Recipe please. I know Bethany is going to have a heart attack when she reads this one.

Please say a prayer for DH. He is waiting to hear on a new job. He is very unhappy where he is currently working and a change would be great right now.

Emma goes for her 4 month check up tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see how much she weighs now. I just hate the thought of bringing her into any Dr. office right now.

I just can't belive that Emma is 4 months already. Wow how time flies. Prayers for DH. I hope he finds what he wants real soon.

This you need to explain!!

:rotfl2: You 2 are so funny. But probaly right, Bethany will have a fit. So before she does I will post it.

Frog's Eye Salad

2 cups liquid from canned fruit - if not 2 cups liquid from fruit used - add
water to make 2 cups
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. flour
3 eggs

Cook and stir until medium white sauce. Cool
Add to (8 oz. cooked Acini De Pepe) dot macaroni and put in frig overnight or until cooled through.

Add fruit (peaches, fruit cocktail or any canned fruit of choice)
1 package small marshmallows
1 container cool whip.

This can either be used this way or freeze it for later use. Will keep a long time and tastes better after it sets. It also make a lot. And is oh so good.

Sheryl, Spinach & Articoke casserole please...oh, yummo!
I have an Armenian Aunt and she use to make an articoke casserole with black olives that I loved and never got the recipe for.

Sorry, but the hair fire thing had me laughing...because I do all the grilling and am always lighting the grill like you did! :scared1: That very well could have been me.

Ellen, that sounds good. Taste has me thinking of something like an ambrosia but thicker.

Sheryl :eek: Glad it was not worse. Back when I smoked I lite my fake nails on fire with the lighter. Kind of like Young Frankenstein :rotfl2:
You and Uncle Bob are the best fake grandparent I know.

Ann I hope your husband gets that job and it is a better fit.:hug: I heard about that poor little girl. Wht kind of animals do that to a 5 year old?

Ellen You are much kinder to than I . I would have had Bethany thinking it was real frog eyes.:lmao: and let her squirm for awhile.

Really putting the list is not that big of a deal. It would be easier if I didn't mess up the typing 12-15 times .:rolleyes1

I better go figure out dinner.

I read back and hope I don;t miss anyone.

Sheryl- Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good thing you are okay!
Love Miss A :goodvibes\\

Lauri- so sorry for the loss of your friend, I think that the memories people share are a Godsend when you have to say goodbye :hug:

Ann- prayers for your DH. I am so sorry that he does not like his job, that is the worst when you go to work and do not like it.

Becky- would you share the recipe for those fabulous chops? I would not worry about adding Greg tot eh ADR at CG. GO anyway. There is no way that they will not find a seat for a serviceman on a brief leave.

Ellen- lunch at school :goodvibes I love that. Kady asked when we are going to join her. I am thrilled that she has not outgrown it.

Robin- :hug: I am glad that the service was nice. sending more prayers.

Kat- How are you feeling today?

Dinner is pot roast with potatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots. I also made a salad. Peas on the side. Welby called and is joining us for dinner. She has steaks that need to be cooked so we are combining out meals and she will bring leftover pot roast for Brian's lunch.

I will let you all know how Marisa is tomorrow. I have not heard what time she needs to be there yet. They do not schedule until later in the day becasue of all the cancellations due to illness. Buddy has his one scan tomorrow too so Welby is picking Kady up at the bus stop and taking her home. I will be home about eh time they arrive.

Lauri, sorry I missed the post about your friend. My sympathies. :hug:

Nancy, sending well wishes and prayers for Marisa and Buddy.

Becky & Laura, I thought the same thing Nancy posted about CG. I wouldnt even try anymore. I would just show up and mention the situation to them at the podium and be sure Liam and Caili are by your side!;) That man deserves a window table as far as I am concerned. Order a Welcome Home Dad dessert for the table!!!!

I will let you all know how Marisa is tomorrow. I have not heard what time she needs to be there yet. They do not schedule until later in the day becasue of all the cancellations due to illness. Buddy has his one scan tomorrow too so Welby is picking Kady up at the bus stop and taking her home. I will be home about eh time they arrive.

Prayers for Marisa and Buddy. You have your hands full. I so wish I was closer so I could help. Take care my friend.

I thought the same thing Nancy posted about CG. I wouldnt even try anymore. I would just show up and mention the situation to them at the podium and be sure Liam and Caili are by your side!;) That man deserves a window table as far as I am concerned. Order a Welcome Home Dad dessert for the table!!!!

I totally agree with this. No one will ever deny him a seat. Well let's just say -THEY BETTER NOT!!!!!:rolleyes1

Sheryl ~ oh my :lmao: you be more careful.

Has anyone heard from Kat today? I hope she is feeling ok.

Well Doug is home so we are off for our 3 mile walk before it gets dark. Have a great evening everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter