• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Aimee I saw those recipes for the ice teas. I will have to try those out. Bacon in guac who would have thought:confused3 I love bacon and love guac.

Sheryl I am a little sore this morning but the strange part is my thumb is really sore. I'm not liking my knife that I used to cut the flooring. I thought it would be safer to have a retractable blade but you have to hold it open :mad:

I just have a little trim work to do then all done in that room. My cat is not happy though I am not sure she is ever really happy. She is part Siamese she knows she is the queen.;)

I will check back later I need to go get the clothes from the dryer that didn't get up here last night.

Kathy, I am here...just scanning quick! Where did the weekend go. I just told Ron I did not really DIS all weekend. We ran around to car dealerships this weekend trying to decide what route we want to take. The car search was unsuccessful and continues...:eek:.

Are you able to take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers thing?

I felt badly for one boy who pitched today. He pitched three other days this week, and it was obvious that his arm was tired (he pitched three innings yesterday) and he gave up five runs. I don't think the coach managed that well. If Liam pitched three innings yesterday, and the coach asked him to pitch again today, I would have said no.

I think that is a heavy burden for a kid that age.

I'm back from a wonderful dinner date with hubby! It was wonderful, I'll try to do a review of it tomorrow. Although I'm going to have my girl tomorrow & she's sick.

Talking about the girls & drama, Alexis told her Mom today that "When she coughs it makes her knee hurt!" :laughing:
Who is this Masked Woman? She tears out carpet in flash, cooks dinner in a dash!

I can't wait for the review!

:rotfl2: I am sorry that your Princess is sick but I am picturing her knee connected to her cough

I agree that Janice is one of our Wonder Women! Makes me embarrassed, I am still putzing in Kady's room...I have not even gotten her paint now that we have it picked out....(Hanging my head in shame)

The latest CL had recipes for flavored iced tea - I have tried two so far. All of them start with simple syrup (1/3 cup sugar, 2/3 cup water, boiled until sugar is dissolved).

Thanks for the recipes, I would love the others if you will post them. You have no idea how I was thinking I needed to make the tea :laughing:

Bethany- You are going to ROCK! Have fun in your new job!

Are you able to take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers thing?
!

No, I wish. My Camry is in good shape with low mileage but it is just to cramped with both kids now. I think we are leaning toward a minivan. We are going to try to go look at the Kia Sedona today. (Today is a RI holiday and DH is on call so who knows if that will work out)

----------------

Did I miss any big news with anyone? I do not know if the kids will let me catch up on all that I have missed. But I promise to try, thinking of you all.

WFD- chicken divan casserole with wild rice, and either caesar salad or sliced tomatoes.

Morning all! Just a quick moment to say Hi! We had Aimee's recipe for Zucchini and Sausage with rice last night. Got two thumbs up from us! Doesn't hurt that Hot Italian sausage is one of DH's favorite foods. Haven't decided on dinner yet. Time to get the kiddos dressed and head out!

Bethany--Good luck today! You'll do great!

Good Morning! I have my Andrew home again and he is going out again tonight...this time to the Yankee game. Dinner for Tom and I will be Porterhouse for him, scallops and flounder for me and rice pilaf and corn on the cob.

I am trying to catch up a bit...but only from the last page on...

Andrew really liked camp. He did OK after his friend went home homesick. There were several things he did not like...like the food and the open locker room showers (most kids took showers in their bathing suits or did nto take showers at all).

Maria, Welcome home!

Nancy, we had cannolis, lobster tails and rainbow cookies from Carlo's Bakery...they were all REALLY good. (look for the pics on Facebook) It is a pretty small shop. They were filming the day we were there and Buddy took a break to take pics - he was so nice and had gorgeous skin...that is all I kept saying to Tom. His son was working behind the counter and I bought an apron from him...he looks just like Buddy. Madeline, his sister, rang us up and was loving Thomas. It was a really nice day. We are planning to get Thomas' and Andrew bday cakes there...if we can work it out. I already know what I want.

Aimee, Recipes look great! We were in WDW a few Xmases ago...I think we did Le Cellier on that day but CG would be great!

Sheryl, so glad that you had a great dinner! I hope Alexis is feeling better. I am glad everyone got a chuckle out or my eye/lip liner mix up!!! :rotfl: Speaking of Mary Kay, I need to order a few things soon. Please let me know when you are up to it...BTW, Tom was telling me about a new drug his company is coming out with like botox...I said I would never get that and then he said...you don't need it, your lines have disappeared!!! I guess I can keep spending $$$ on MK products! :banana:

WFD left overs from dinner out last night and homemade pizza. We celebrated sons 18th birthday and our anniversary.

Happy Belated Birthday to your son and Happy Belated Anniversary to you and yours!!!
First off, Liam's team lost. They were ahead 6-0 for a while, but they couldn't hang on. Liam didn't pitch, and all the runs scored in the two innings when he was on the bench. I guess only a mom would notice a stat like that. ;)

Sorry they lost...I would notice that too!

Big time crush, when we went to bluezoo I had our waiter in stitches asking if he was there, had he been there, if he looks as hot in person.......

I have a crush too...and I would be the same way! Twins I tell ya! ;) Glad you are feeling better and got all your shopping done.

The floor is 3/4 done I'm taking a break and cooking dinner. I picked up a lime cilantro flank steak from Costco today. I figured I would want something fast.

Wow! You are so motivated! After all that you cooked? You rock Janice!

I start work tomorrow...about 12 hours from now. :scared:

Can't wait to hear how your day went! I bet it will be a breeze compared to NY! Wishing you all the BEST!

Took the girls to Wegmans, was very good and didn't visit the hot food bar like I usually do, just got essentials. Got some baby spinach, going to have a salad of that, raspberries and goat cheese or blue cheese.

LOVE Wegman's! The last time Tom and I went, we did the chinese buffet...It was so freakin expensive...$29 for food and a drink! :scared1: I guess we loaded up!

Have a great day all!

Lauren, I love lobster tails...yum!! He made a giant one last week on the show for a pregnant woman as a surprise. I thought now that would have satisfied my cravings!!!

Thanks everybody! :goodvibes We actually have 8 days of meetings and prep time before the kids come next Thursday.

I got online to pay a bill; I need to go finish getting ready! More later!

Have a great day everybody! :grouphug:

Here are some pics from the other day...Buddy, Mauro and Danny...

August09018.jpg

August09023.jpg

August09019.jpg

Good Morning,

Bethany, good luck! You will be great!

Laura, I don't know how you sports Mom's keep your emotions in check. Congratulations on a great season to Liam!!!

Ann, I heard on the news this morning that many car dealerships are placing new car/mini vans on Ebay in the next few days:confused3might be worth a look. Thinking about your beautiful babies~

Nancy, so sorry about the crop. Hope Buddy is ok:hug:, what a tough year this has been for both of you. Thank you for the wonderful message, touched my heart.

Lauren, I'll give you a call & we can chat about Blue Zoo. I know Charlene is away. Jealous of your Carlo's lobster tails. So happy "A" enjoyed camp.

Sheryl, glad you out & about. Better days are finally here for you:hug:
How was Emeril's?!

Kat, hope your feeling better. How is Kyle? When do his classes start?

Will be back later to catch up.....Good thoughts for all. I missed the Dis.

Back to reality today, laundry & a follow up appointment for Lily this afternoon which I'm worried about.:sad2:

Aimee -- Bacon in guacamole? Wow, that sounds good!

Janice -- I don't like those retractable blades either. I got a blister from one just trying to cut out Caili's seastar costume from foamboard. I can't imagine doing a whole flooring project with it. I'm glad you're almost finished.

I am still putzing in Kady's room...I have not even gotten her paint now that we have it picked out.

My project list is really long right now, but I don't really think I am going to get much done until the kids go back to school.

Lauren -- I'm glad Andrew enjoyed camp. That is kind of strange about the open showers though. I love the pictures you posted. Thomas is getting so big and he is so sweet!

Sheryl -- I'm sorry Alexis is sick. I'm sure some time at Nana Camp will help her feel better. That was a funny comment about her cough hurting her knee. :laughing: Where did she come up with that? I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner, and I'm looking forward to the review. Thank Bob for me, but the Sox have been so horrible the past few days, they don't deserve sympathy.

Bethany -- Good luck today!

Ann -- I hope you find a good deal on a new car and that Ron doesn't get called in.

Maria -- I hope all is well with Lily.

The kids have sensed that I am on the computer, so hello to everyone else! Dinner is going to be something on the grill. It is hot and humid here today.

So. Let me get this straight. One Airborne Ranger vs One little girl......

Girl 1 Ranger 0

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm............................:rotfl2::rotfl2:

:lmao:

I start work tomorrow...about 12 hours from now. :scared:

I am sure you're doing just fine!:thumbsup2

I'm back from a wonderful dinner date with hubby! It was wonderful, I'll try to do a review of it tomorrow. Although I'm going to have my girl tomorrow & she's sick.

Talking about the girls & drama, Alexis told her Mom today that "When she coughs it makes her knee hurt!" :laughing:

Can't wait to hear all about your evening!

Kids can come up with some hysterical stuff.:rotfl2:

I felt badly for one boy who pitched today. He pitched three other days this week, and it was obvious that his arm was tired (he pitched three innings yesterday) and he gave up five runs. I don't think the coach managed that well. If Liam pitched three innings yesterday, and the coach asked him to pitch again today, I would have said no.

His parents had better learn that if they don't speak up their child's arm will be ruined at a very young age because, unfortunately, many coaches will pitch them way too soon.:sad2:

Kat, hope your feeling better. How is Kyle? When do his classes start?

I'm feeling much better!! Kyle is great, he moves to Baton Rouge on the 15th and classes start on the 24th. Can't believe it's almost here!

WFD - White beans & rice, grilled chicken sausages and a salad.

Good morning Ladies,

It is Monday and I did NOT wnat to come to work today. Usually I have no problem coming to work, but today I could have really stayed home.

I am in the Fall cleaning mode. Yesterday I got all of the Pictures organized and ready to put in albums. I hadn't done this in a few years. Cleaned a closet, my junk drawer and 3 cupboards. Not much but enough to get me started. I guess I just want to keep going now.

We are also getting Matthew ready to move into his new apartment. What a chore this is going to be. Plus the fact that my heart is breaking, not a fun 2 weeks ahead of me. Oh such is life. We have so enjoyed having him home this summer. Now I have to get used to a quiet house all over again.:sad2:

Well this weekend was a bit of a challenge. As you know Matthew got all 4 of his wisdom teeth out on friday. For dinner on Friday we grilled chicken sandwiches. Elizabeth and Ethan came out and she fixed him a chocolate malt for his dinner. What a good sister.
Saturday I was able to get a scrambled egg down him around 11 and for dinner he had some cottage cheese and Chicken broth, Doug and I ate a steak at the Country Club.
Yesterday I fixed homemade Chicken & noodles over mashed potatoes. He ate some of that.

WFDT ~ Meatloaf, baked potatoes and green beans.

I haven't read back yet. I will, but in the meantime know I am thinking of you all. BBL

Make it a great day my friends.

Thanks for the recipes, I would love the others if you will post them. You have no idea how I was thinking I needed to make the tea :laughing:

Now I need to know what you were thinking :laughing:

Here are some pics from the other day...Buddy, Mauro and Danny...

What fun!!

We are also getting Matthew ready to move into his new apartment. What a chore this is going to be. Plus the fact that my heart is breaking, not a fun 2 weeks ahead of me. Oh such is life. We have so enjoyed having him home this summer. Now I have to get used to a quiet house all over again.:sad2:

:hug:

Tonight we are having hot dogs and potato salad.

Nancy, we had cannolis, lobster tails and rainbow cookies from Carlo's Bakery...they were all REALLY good. (look for the pics on Facebook) It is a pretty small shop. They were filming the day we were there and Buddy took a break to take pics - he was so nice and had gorgeous skin...that is all I kept saying to Tom. His son was working behind the counter and I bought an apron from him...he looks just like Buddy. Madeline, his sister, rang us up and was loving Thomas. It was a really nice day. We are planning to get Thomas' and Andrew bday cakes there...if we can work it out. I already know what I want.

LOVE Wegman's! The last time Tom and I went, we did the chinese buffet...It was so freakin expensive...$29 for food and a drink! :scared1: I guess we loaded up!

Have a great day all!

I have only seen that show once or twice, I generally watch Ace of Cakes. I have wanted to go to Baltimore and stalk the shop, they are not open to the public so it would have to be a drive by stalking! :rotfl:

I don't know if I told you all this but I saw this one baker who does a lot of the cake challenge shows on Food TV at the airport in June. He has a bakery somewhere in VA. Can't remember his name and couldn't find it on the website.

I go to the Chinese buffet every time I go but was good this time and didn't, partially because I always get Shrimp Purses and Shrimp in Cream Sauce and I had my DN who is allergic to shellfish with me and secondly because I had enough junk this weekend.

They are getting ready to build a Wegmans here, about 10 minutes away, that will not be open until late 2010, early 2011. Thank goodness for that, I will be there more then once a week once it does. :sad2:

Kathy -- I am glad you are feeling better. I agree with you about protecting young arms. Little League is very strict about pitch counts and days of rest but this summer league just says the kids can't pitch more than three innings in a game. Right now, I am thinking we won't do summer league next year. I said that last year too.

Ellen -- I am thinking about fall cleaning, but I haven't started anything yet. Good luck getting everything together for Matthew! :hug:

Dinner is going to be brie, baguette and a big salad. It is too hot to cook anything.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to check in to say I'm ok. Busy, but ok. My sister is back in town. Dad called her last week to ask her to come home "one more time" and bring the girls. Needless to say, she dropped everything and came. She was planning on a Christmas holiday visit, but Dad doesn't think that will be soon enough.

Dad saying that has put my Mom in a tailspin. She has completely been in denial this entire time about his disease and the prognosis. She refuses to believe that he is not going to be fine and doesn't want to hear anyone, including Dad, say otherwise. So she has been a handful this week too.

Anyway between that and getting the kids ready to start school a week from today, things have been kind of hectic. I have been keeping up with the thread but haven't had the energy to post. Honestly, I feel like my posts have been the same each time anyway, so here I am again and nothing much has changed. :laughing:

Laura - I'd listen to Kat about the pitching. She has certainly been down that road before.

Kat - The 15th! Holy moly that is this week. Are you and Johnny taking him or have you moved the big stuff already?

Nancy - Thank you for the call the other night. As you can imagine, I've thought of it a lot this week, especially with my Dad wanting my sister to come.

Ellen - I'd have been upset too over the scholarship thing. Not that my opinion helps in the slightest. :hug:

Maria - Glad you are back and that you had a good time. I wasn't shocked at all to see you were disappointed in the ship. There was no way it was coming close to your most recent travelling style.

I'm sorry for the rest of you I missed.

Ok, all caught up for now. Wow, miss a few days around here and you have 5 pages or more to catch back up on. :)

Aimee ~ I hope your insurance steps up to the plate real soon. That is just not right. Have you been able to find a home for Ace yet?

Maria ~ Welcome home my friend you have been missed. Prayers for Lily. Let us know how things are.

Kat ~ :hug: my friend. I am thinking of you all.

Bethany ~ Good luck today!! You'll knock 'em dead. This will be so different that NYC - you will have a ball.

Marilyn ~ glad you had a good time with your DN's. They sound adorable and are so lucky to have you for an Aunt.

Lauri ~ Happy Belated Wishes for your Anniversary and to your son for his
18th Birthday!! And also for always being there for me. I really appreciate it.

Laura ~ Liam had a good season and I just know it would have been better if the coach would have let him pitch. As far as Mom's go - You Rock :cheer2:

Nancy ~ You are a good friend. Bless your heart.

Lauren ~ loved the pictures. Oh how I would have loved being there also.

Ann ~ good luck car shopping. I am getting the itch for a new car myself. We shall see.

Ok that is the end of my brain it is now mush. I totally lost my train of thought. I hate it when that happen.

I will post another few days of my trip report today so stay tuned.

Day 4 – Thursday June 18th
We all must have been pooped as we slept till 9:00. Doug was up first and went to get coffee and milk. I didn’t even hear him leave. We just hung out in the room as the weather report was saying it was already 92 with a Dew Point of 87. I don’t know about you, but that is miserable weather. They were predicting a high today of 107. We finally left at 11:30 and it was HOTTER than Hades out there. It really zapped you. We walked to the bus stop and an Epcot bus was waiting for us. We had an ADR at Tappen Edo for 12:40 so we headed there as soon as we got into the park. We had to stop a few times along the way, as it was so hot. We got to the Showcase Plaza and I thought I was going to get sick, I was so hot, so we stopped in there to cool off. Wow, this is brutal!! We headed out again and finally got over to Japan dripping wet and not very hungry. We checked in and thank goodness we sat for about 20 minutes. We got cooled off and it revived us a bit. I was really anxious for Ali to eat here, as she has never seen it. We sat with a couple from Ohio and a family from England. Not very talkative but we all really enjoyed it. The whole thing mesmerized Ali. Our Chef was great and really did a great show. We all had the combinations of chicken, steak and shrimp. We left and headed for Italy. I was looking for some Rosa Regale and sure enough they had it. I wanted a glass so bad but there was no way in this heat that it would set with the tummy so I passed. I did buy 3 wine stoppers of Mickey. One for me, and one for each of the girls. We headed for Germany for a beer. Jay had texted Doug before we left and said to be sure to have a beer for him in Germany. So we did. We shared and tried to find some shade to enjoy it. It tasted real good as it was icy cold. We kept going around stopping when we could to cool off. We got to Mexico and decided we needed to cool off so we rode El Rio del Tiempo. I couldn’t believe it but there was a line here. We probably stood in line for 5 –7 minutes. It is a cute ride and one we all love. We saw the hidden Mickey’s and had a ball finding them. Doug had his book today, so we were on the hunt.
As we came out of Mexico, we saw in the distance that bad storms were brewing. The sky was almost black. We decided that we had, had enough of the heat and we wanted to go to the Contemporary to see our dear friend Janet. With the weather threatening we thought this was a great idea. We headed for the Monorail and just as we got there the heavens opened up. I mean buckets were falling. As we were waiting for the Monorail the lightning and thunder were very dangerous and very LOUD. I was so glad we made it undercover. I would have hated to be in the park during this storm. We got to the TTC and had to switch to the Resort Monorail. We sort of hung back to see if it would let up some – it didn’t. So we ran down the ramp and up the ramp and we were all totally soaked like we had taken a shower with our clothes on. Yuck!!! And of course the Resort Monorail’s AC was working full blast. We were freezing. Never happy huh?
We got off at the Contemporary and as we left the Monorail they were handing out towels. That was great, as we really needed them. We went down to the first floor and waited till Janet was finished helping a guest. I walked up to the counter and she said “May I help…….”, And she screamed. Scared me half to death. LOL She came around the counter and we sat and talked for about a ½ hour. So many changes at the Contemporary, some are just silly and some were very needed. We all caught up on each other’s lives and thoroughly enjoyed seeing her. Before either of us wanted it to, it was time to say goodbye. We will have to make do with phones and emails until next year. We were all ready for some ice cream so we went up to the 4th floor and my beloved Concourse Steak House was GONE. The area is now all for the food court. That – to me is a HUGE mistake. Oh well just one more reason why I will probably never stay here again. The Grab & Go place had no ice cream, so we left. We got on the monorail and headed for the Grand Floridian. It was still raining out so we decided to go see if Dotty (another dear friend) was working and if not, when she would be, so we could have tea with her. Well we walk in and we look over to the Tea Room and there she was. We went right down and asked the hostess if we could please see her. She was in the back and when she came out and saw us, she also screamed. It was so funny!! She came right out and we were able to talk for about 15 minutes. This was the only day she was working so we were thrilled that we got to see her today. Her and her husband are planning on a trip through Nebraska next summer and she promised to stop and see us. We had such a good time catching up. This is what I love about Disney the most. We have met and made some of our best friends in Disney. Over the years we have stayed in contact and it is like family when we see each other again.
We still were in the mood for ice cream so we went to the GF food court and sure enough they had soft serve ice cream, Vanilla, Chocolate and Cookies & Cream, with sauces and sprinkles to top it with. We were in heaven. We each got a big dish and shivered the whole time. Remember we are wet and the air conditioning is on full blast. Matthew and Ali went and played a few games and Doug and I went outside to warm up. We all regrouped and went to look in the shops. The Ladies gift store had the 4 wonderful kinds of H2O lotions I wanted, so I stocked up. I love the clothes in the shop and found a darling outfit I just had to have, so that baby went right home with me. Yea!! As we were leaving it was still raining so I asked Doug for a Poncho. He had been carrying the Back Pack at the time and he didn’t have it. Absolutely all of the color drained right out of his face – he had left it on the back of the chair when we were eating our Ice Cream. He high tailed it back to see if it was still there. I held out no hope of ever seeing it again as the place was packed. We followed him and as we got to the door here he came – he had found it. YEA!!! So again we went to catch the Monorail for MK. We hemmed and hawed about going back to the MK or just calling today a bust and going back to Pop. Pop won! We got off at the MK and just walked to the bus stop. It was only 5:00 but the rain really looked to be set in all day. We got back to the room and everyone just laid around. We watch the last of the Open and Doug and Ali took a nap.
About 6:00 I was getting antsy so I took a shower and decided to go shopping at the Gift Shop. Anything to get out of that room. I DID’T come to Disney to stay in my room. Doug wanted to come with me so he grabbed the Hidden Mickey book and we were off. It had stopped raining and the sun was popping out. It was a lovely late afternoon. We had a great time and I am proud to say we found all of them. We went in the Food Court and talked about what we should do tonight. We hadn’t been in there ½ an hour when we saw people coming in soaking wet. Yep, you guessed it, it was pouring again. So we called the kids and told them to bring the mugs and the cards. Pretty soon here they come with their ponchos on. We played a couple of games of Pitch, ate dinner and played some more Pitch. Finally at midnight we realized we were the only ones in the whole place and decided we had better go. It was still raining as we walked back to our room. We watch the Soccer game between Italy & Egypt and lights were out at 12:30.
Not my favorite way to spend an evening in WDW but we really did have fun.

Hi everyone. I just wanted to check in to say I'm ok. Busy, but ok. My sister is back in town. Dad called her last week to ask her to come home "one more time" and bring the girls. Needless to say, she dropped everything and came. She was planning on a Christmas holiday visit, but Dad doesn't think that will be soon enough.

Dad saying that has put my Mom in a tailspin. She has completely been in denial this entire time about his disease and the prognosis. She refuses to believe that he is not going to be fine and doesn't want to hear anyone, including Dad, say otherwise. So she has been a handful this week too.

Anyway between that and getting the kids ready to start school a week from today, things have been kind of hectic. I have been keeping up with the thread but haven't had the energy to post. Honestly, I feel like my posts have been the same each time anyway, so here I am again and nothing much has changed. :laughing:

Kat - The 15th! Holy moly that is this week. Are you and Johnny taking him or have you moved the big stuff already?

Oh sweetie, my heart just aches for you and your family. I have said before that in many ways my Mom's Alzheimer's was a blessing as she didn't have to deal with worrying about Daddy or grieving. But even though she didn't verbalize her sense of loss I could tell the twinkle in her eyes was lost as soon as I told her Dad was gone. I am going to say some special prayers for your Mom.

The apartment Kyle is moving into is furnished so we don't have "big stuff" to move. We will be going up Saturday morning and stay as long as we can and I'm already prepared to cry all the way home. Speaking of crying, he'd kill me if he knew I posted this but it touched me so much......A few of you know but most of you don't, Johnny isn't Kyle's biological father, he adopted him at age 5. He's the only father Kyle has really had, the sperm donor calls when it's convenient. Anyhoo.....last night I saw Johnny looking at some old photos of Kyle when he was around 7 and tears were streaming down his face. All he could say was "I can't believe my boy is all grown up and moving away".....OK, now I'm bawling........:sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter