The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

bethany, i am sorry about your friend ;( sadly, RA is typically diagnosed from 30 to 50 so she is really not far off. i have two friends who were diagnosed in late teens. RA is a cousin to Crohns and we share many of the same meds. all fall under auto immune. matter of fact, my current med was approved for RA first. i hope they are able to get hers under control soon.

:cheer2:Kady, Happy Birthday!:cheer2:

Bethany, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope her meds give her some needed relief.

Gretchen & Kathy, safe travels. Have fun.

Laura, your kids are great eaters because of what oyu girls have exposed them to. I hope DS changes his ways soon. He is so darn fussy and eats way to much junk. I love Greek salad. Last night DH wanted dominoes. He got pizza and I tried the new Veggie sandwich with :love: Feta on it. I was surprised it wasn't to bad.

I am missing our friends around here already. :sad2:

DH is going to finish painting DS bedroom this morning. :cool1: I can't wait to get each of them settled into their rooms.

Not sure whats for dinner :confused3, I have to get to the store. I do want to bake something this weekend. I want to buy the fixings for both the pumpkin rolls posted and my Swedish apple pie recipe.

Happy Birthday Kady

I feel like today is going to be a lazy day. I need to get things done today.

Last nights dinner of tortellini carbonara was a bust. My sauce was not as favorfull as usual.:confused3 Not sure what dinner is yet. I have brocolli I need to use up maybe cream of broc soup?

Bethany Sorry about your friend. They have some good meds to try to keep it under control. When I was younger they thought I had RA since I had the test. But another doctor said the test was skewed. Like any test you can get false positive results.

Well I better get moving or I will get lazy.;)

I am stopping by because I am proud of Kady and sad too. One of the little girls that Kady invited to her party asked if she could still go. :confused3 Sure! Marisa called last night to see if there was a problem. The Mom was heartbroken. It seems her little girl does not make friends. None. And since Kady is in her class she has been having a ball! Kady will not leave anyone out so if you want to play with her you must play with her friends so for the first time Kira has a group of girls to play with. And her father will not let her go to the party. Just because it is his weekend and he can say No. Marisa told the Mom that Kady is having her costume party next Friday so there will be another party for her to go to but I was in tears for this little girl. I told Buddy and he is more determined to make sure that the girls have a good time.

Now I just need to figure out if I can use a karaoke machine :confused3 I have no idea how to use one and am afraid that if I rent it it is going to be a disaster. Calling Debbie for help! I hate being inept!

Calling the Liam Girls..... hoping to buy some fish today to fry tonight. Beer Batter recipe again please?? I think Laura said just flour, S&P, and beer. Can I use a Budlight we have in the house or should I get something like a Sam Adams??

-----------
Nancy, Marisa & Buddy ...you all should be very proud of Kady, that is one sweet girl. My heart aches for that poor little girl. I want to smack her Dad :headache: for taking it away from her.

I have brocolli I need to use up maybe cream of broc soup?

I love cream of broccoli soup! Would you post your recipe?

Now I just need to figure out if I can use a karaoke machine

Nancy, I feel so badly for that poor little girl. I hope she can join the fun next week. The karaoke machine is just like a DVD player, and it gets plugged into the TV the same way. I hope the girls have fun!

Ann -- Yes, the beer batter is just beer, flour and salt and pepper. You can add cayenne if you want a little heat. I've never tried using BudLight, but I think it would probably be okay. I know Becky has used Heineken Light, and that worked fine.

Now I am torn between broccoli soup, fish and chips, or my original plan, seafood fra diavlo. I am also craving fish chowder. So many choices! Maybe I will make the decision after we go to the fall fair. After the fair food, I may not feel like making anything!

Ann, here is my batter recipe:

1 cup flour
1 cup beer (I use whatever is in the fridge)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/5 tsp. salt

whisk all together. If Liam is eating I use a different recipe without eggs, but this is my usual batter for me and John.

Nancy, that is so sad about the little girl! It's so sad when kids get hurt because of things the grownups do. I am glad that there is going to be another party that she can attend.

Catching up on pictures!

Gorgonzola garlic bread:

4014107868_32fc9a1b98.jpg

Ravioli pomodoro

4013341945_a13216b4e6.jpg

Breakfast for dinner

4018748429_fb86395cd4.jpg

Sparkling cider-cognac cocktail

4019510966_4f1e9c5541.jpg

shrimp fra diavolo

4019511156_b171995367.jpg

Dinner tonight is chicken pot pie and salad.

I am stopping by because I am proud of Kady and sad too. One of the little girls that Kady invited to her party asked if she could still go. :confused3 Sure! Marisa called last night to see if there was a problem. The Mom was heartbroken. It seems her little girl does not make friends. None. And since Kady is in her class she has been having a ball! Kady will not leave anyone out so if you want to play with her you must play with her friends so for the first time Kira has a group of girls to play with. And her father will not let her go to the party. Just because it is his weekend and he can say No. Marisa told the Mom that Kady is having her costume party next Friday so there will be another party for her to go to but I was in tears for this little girl. I told Buddy and he is more determined to make sure that the girls have a good time.

Now I just need to figure out if I can use a karaoke machine :confused3 I have no idea how to use one and am afraid that if I rent it it is going to be a disaster. Calling Debbie for help! I hate being inept!

WOW!!!!!!!!! Tearing up for that little girl but love & kissed to Kady, what a little girl!!!!!!!:love:
Hope you all are having a wonderful time at the party!!!!!!
Pictures please.

I thought today was Kady's birthday:confused3

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KADY!!!!!!

Dinner tonight is roasted turkey breast. Rainy & cold here so it will be nice to have the oven on.

Hey ladies! Just a quick note to say hi! We're having a great time. Lauren and texted each other back and forth last night and kept missing each other. Sounds like her and Charlene were having a good time. Didn't have enough to eat last night so I was really fun to hang out with--especially after my frozen mojito!

We are taking a quick break at the hotel (along with a "cheap" in roo
cocktail) and then over to our champagne seminar. Posted some pics on fb if you're interested! Bbl!

Becky & Laura, thanks for your help. I am going to try Becky's, hope it comes out as good as both of yours.

Maria, don't go by me on Kady's b-day. Multi-tasking holding the baby I can miss anything.

I have a Swedish Apple Pie in the oven. I decided to make two small ones instead of the large size. I will bring one to my parents tomorrow.

WFD- Beer battered haddock, & broccoli slaw

Hi ya'll!

I had to pull the computer out and set my fantasy football teams and check in with the DIS before we sail tomorrow.

Last night we ate at Jiko for the first time. It was wonderful. Rick said it might have been better that Artist Pointe, and that's his favorite!:scared1:

I FBed what we had, but no pics, sorry. We scarfed everything down as soon as it hit the table. My favorite was the Artesional Cheese Tray app. We also did the Taste of Africa and Rick had the Filet with mac and cheese and red wine sauce and I had braised short ribs with yukon golds w/pancetta and a onion-garlic sauce. Mine just fell off the bone it was sooo tender! I have the cheese list in my bag so I can go find the ones we really liked. We also had a 2005 Cederberg cabernet from South Africa.

Today we did the buddy walk for Down Syndome society of Central Florida with some of the DIS Unplugged podcast people and then had lunch at Paradiso 37 at DTD. We did an appetizer grazing while we watched the dragon boat races out on the lake. We shared a pitcher of Dos XX Amber that came out at 30.2 degrees. And had Carribean fish/crab fritters with coconut-lime sauce, Peruvian beef skewers with mushroom ceviche, El Salvadorian papusas(little pita kind of things stuffed with meat/chicken/fish and toppings), and guacamole. It was really good, better than I had hoped actually.

Next up is heading to Boardwalk to meet the girls and then Boma at 7:55!

Laura I will post it if it is a good recipe. I will let you know.

Tonight is cream of broccoli soup for me pizza for Mr A. He says he is not in a soup mood :confused3.

Lori That food is making me really hungry. Glad you are having a great time.

Hey ladies! Just a quick note to say hi! We're having a great time. Lauren and texted each other back and forth last night and kept missing each other. Sounds like her and Charlene were having a good time. Didn't have enough to eat last night so I was really fun to hang out with--especially after my frozen mojito!

We are taking a quick break at the hotel (along with a "cheap" in roo
cocktail) and then over to our champagne seminar. Posted some pics on fb if you're interested! Bbl!

glad things are going so well! I can't remember if we're FB friends or not - I'll go look. I want to see some pics!

Hi ya'll!

I had to pull the computer out and set my fantasy football teams and check in with the DIS before we sail tomorrow.

Last night we ate at Jiko for the first time. It was wonderful. Rick said it might have been better that Artist Pointe, and that's his favorite!:scared1:

I FBed what we had, but no pics, sorry. We scarfed everything down as soon as it hit the table. My favorite was the Artesional Cheese Tray app. We also did the Taste of Africa and Rick had the Filet with mac and cheese and red wine sauce and I had braised short ribs with yukon golds w/pancetta and a onion-garlic sauce. Mine just fell off the bone it was sooo tender! I have the cheese list in my bag so I can go find the ones we really liked. We also had a 2005 Cederberg cabernet from South Africa.

Today we did the buddy walk for Down Syndome society of Central Florida with some of the DIS Unplugged podcast people and then had lunch at Paradiso 37 at DTD. We did an appetizer grazing while we watched the dragon boat races out on the lake. We shared a pitcher of Dos XX Amber that came out at 30.2 degrees. And had Carribean fish/crab fritters with coconut-lime sauce, Peruvian beef skewers with mushroom ceviche, El Salvadorian papusas(little pita kind of things stuffed with meat/chicken/fish and toppings), and guacamole. It was really good, better than I had hoped actually.

Next up is heading to Boardwalk to meet the girls and then Boma at 7:55!

I :lovestruc Jiko. Had my birthday dinner there two years ago or so. We still haven't made it to AP yet, though, so I can't compare.

My retreat went well, I just never get any sleep (~3 hours, on and off, this time) but the kids were good. DH decided to golf after the UT/OU game so he won't be home until dark so I'm pitching dinner to him.

I came in and jumped in the shower, put on my pjs, and am refusing to do anything other than brush my (wet) hair so I have no intentions on going back out :laughing:

Lori, have a wonderful cruise!

Aimee, enjoy your PJ night and get some needed r&r.

My fish turned out great, and I just finished some dessert. I am so full!

Hey y'all! It's been forever since I posted, but life has been just crazy and dramatic for what seems like forever now. I made a really good supper that was just perfect for this cold, dreary football day and thought I'd share it with my DIS friends. We had White Chicken Chili in the crockpot, Chessy Corn Muffins, and a Pumpkin Cream Cheese loaf for dessert. My younger daughter hates anything with the name chili or Tex-mex, so i changed teh name to Chicken Stew. (LOL!)

Crockpot White Chicken Chili
1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup dried beans, rinsed and sorted (I used Navy Beans)
1 medium onion chopped
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt (I really thought it needed more salt)
1 can crem of chicken soup
5 cups of water (next time I will cut back on the water quite a bit)
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (needs more!)
1 4.5 ounce can green chilies

Soak beans overnight.

Drain beans. Place in slow cooker with chicken, onion, garlic oregano, salt, soup, and water. Cook on low for 8 hours, or until beans are done. Stir in cumin, hot pepper sauce, and chilies.

I added all the spices as I started cooking. The chili was not spicy at all. I would add more hot pepper sauce at the end or serve with optional jalapenos. I put out shredded cheese, sour cream, fritos, and green onions to add to the individual bowls. I also thought the 5 cups of water was way too much. Toward the end of cooking, I made a slurry of the broth and flour to help thicken it up some. I really like the dried beans so much better than the canned ones. The beans stand up to the long cooking when they are dried.

Cheesy Corn Muffins
2 boxes corn bread mix (ready mix)
1 (16 oz) cream corn
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
2 eggs, beaten
2-4 dashes hot sauce
1/2 small onion (I used several green onions instead), chopped

Combine all ingredients except corn bread mix and mix well. Add corn bread mix and stir until just moistened; do not over mix. Spoon into greased or paper cup lined muffin pans about 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Serve warm.

The chili made a TON as did the muffins. In fact, we have so much left that my college daughter is planning on taking some back with her to snack on during the week.

Enjoy!
Melanie

Lori -- I really like the food at Jiko. We had a bad server there the last time, but the food was delicious. I think we have that back on our ADR list for the upcoming trip.

Stephanie -- I have been enjoying your FB photos and updates!

Aimee -- I am glad your retreat went well. Aside from the couple of hours the kids and I spent at the fall fair and going to our fish market, it has been a pajama day here. Get some rest.

Ann -- I'm glad your fish was good.

We had fish here too. The kids had pan-fried flounder, sugar snap peas and bread, and I had seafood fra diavlo with clams, mussels, haddock and scallops, and bread. YUM!

My fish market closes for the season in three weeks. We are going to be eating a lot of seafood between now and then. I definitely need to get another plate of their fried clams to last me between now and April.

Nancy Can you add seltzer to the blackberry wine? Maybe use some to flavor some fruit for an adult cobbler;)

I am just going to give ot to Buddy, he likes it. I like a soft red but I don't like sweet wines.

Nancy, Marisa & Buddy ...you all should be very proud of Kady, that is one sweet girl. My heart aches for that poor little girl. I want to smack her Dad :headache: for taking it away from her.

Yeah, she did not make it. I feel so badly for her.

I miss you already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really enjoying your FB pics and wanted to say that your little Emma is a doll!

It sounds like you are having a great time!!!!!!!!!

glad things are going so well! I can't remember if we're FB friends or not - I'll go look. I want to see some pics!

I will comment on her pics so that you can enjoy them

Now listen to me Lady Jane.......stern voice, frowning and really serious....... get some sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your health is dripping down the drain and you keep a schedule a maniac could not manage! I know that you love your job, that is shining clearly on every post.... but you are going to get very sick if you do not start paying attention to your health. Now i cannaot take a road trip yet but I can ell you than when I know that Marisa and Buddy are fine i will find you Missy! if you don;t start taking care of yourself.

I have had 2 glasses of wine so I am free with the lectures but you need to pay attention to the signals your body is sending you, you are going to get sicker!

Hey y'all! It's been forever since I posted, but life has been just crazy and dramatic for what seems like forever now. (LOL!)

I missed you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to make this for my sister's Halloween party on the 30th, It will be a hit!

Okay, dinner was hotdogs and chips :lmao: My DH requested this specifically!

We bought a lot of meat yesterday ( chicken and pork) and he would not leave the meat market without his 5 pounds of hot dogs. I was planning on dinner out with the kids but the girls filled up on popcorn and stuff at teh movie party so they did not want dinner out. I cannot believe I was glad to be home and eating hot dogs but I was. The movie was awful. Donny said if it was not for all the kids he would have walked out. I dozed off for about 30 minutes and of course those girls caught me! They did enjoy the party though and I think they moved that fun onto the movie, they sdaid they liked it. One littel girls was in tears though. She insisted it was because she was laughing at something another girl said. Marisa will talk to her Mom tomorrow at CCD...

I am going to have another glass of wine...I am a rebel tonight!

oh, one thing I forgot about the muffins: We like our cornbread slightly sweet, so I use Jiffy mix sometimes. I really liked using the Jiffy for this recipe. The combination of the slightly sweet Jiffy and the creamed corn combined with the sharpness of the cheese and the green onions was just perfect with the chili.

oh, one thing I forgot about the muffins: We like our cornbread slightly sweet, so I use Jiffy mix sometimes. I really liked using the Jiffy for this recipe. The combination of the slightly sweet Jiffy and the creamed corn combined with the sharpness of the cheese and the green onions was just perfect with the chili.

We always liked sweet muffins so my Mom always added a teaspoon or two pf sugar to the mix. I still do.

Hey y'all! It's been forever since I posted, ...

1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup dried beans, rinsed and sorted (I used Navy Beans)
1 medium onion chopped
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt (I really thought it needed more salt)
1 can crem of chicken soup
5 cups of water (next time I will cut back on the water quite a bit)
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (needs more!)
1 4.5 ounce can green chilies

Soak beans overnight.

Drain beans. Place in slow cooker with chicken, onion, garlic oregano, salt, soup, and water. Cook on low for 8 hours, or until beans are done. Stir in cumin, hot pepper sauce, and chilies.

I added all the spices as I started cooking. The chili was not spicy at all. I would add more hot pepper sauce at the end or serve with optional jalapenos. I put out shredded cheese, sour cream, fritos, and green onions to add to the individual bowls. I also thought the 5 cups of water was way too much. Toward the end of cooking, I made a slurry of the broth and flour to help thicken it up some. I really like the dried beans so much better than the canned ones. The beans stand up to the long cooking when they are dried.

Melanie, welcome back. So glad you posted...how much cumin does the recipe call for please? This sounds great for the winter, I can't wait to try it.

----

Dh & DSS were going to the Patriots game today but have decided to stay home and watch it because of the awful rainy cold weather. Looks like dinner is going to be tailgating food.

WFD- Budlight, brats & kraut, budlight, BBQ chips, budlight, Chips and Guac, budlight, Swedish apple pie, and more budlight

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter