The What's For Dinner Thread - Aug '10 (recipe index in OP)

Here are some quick pictures. I don't have many, I just snapped a few before we unpacked all our stuff.

Our treehouse
5229472658_1ac8545e7f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Our treehouse from the walkway to downtown
5229470152_e88b7422a5.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

The view from our bedroom, and a rarely seen picture of me
5229466608_4a60169bcc.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Master bedroom
5228869381_571ef34e52.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Master bath
5229460794_afc6c13b17.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Living room, dining area, and kitchen
5228865421_3e94ce016f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Marisa- Matching furniture sounds like a dream! Maybe one day!

Bethany- I remember the Disney Institute! That's where I learned how to make truffles and gumbo. The sprinklers were so much fun, my husband compared it to super mario brothers with the timing and the running. We were laughing so hard our stomachs hurt. There was one dry patch of sidewalk, so we ran just behind the sprinklers, stopped and waited on the dry patch, and ran again.

Aimee- You scared me a little with a white tree, but it looks really nice. We have a fake tree that I usually put up in our sunporch as an extra, but we are using it as our main tree this year. This will be my first Christmas ever without a real tree, it's going to be so weird. Have fun at your drive in!

Michelle- I was just looking through the family fun magazine, I knew I had seen a coupon for a free auntie annie's pretzal and had to find it. On the back of the coupon page were the fig newton dreidels, they are really cute.

I know Gretchen must be really busy with her new home, but is everything okay with Sheryl?

I forgot to take corned beef out of the freezer, so we are having a roast chicken from the grocery store, mashed potatoes, and a veg.

Ellen I should take a picture of the box one time. It is a nice bunch of stuff. It is all organic and beautiful fruits and veggies.

I would love to see a picture. You are one lucky duck.

Kat ~ Have fun at your NOLA party. I so wish we were all closer so we could all get together. What fun we would have.

Glynis & Vickie ~ Not to worry!! We have all been there. You ladies just need to take care of you!!!

Michelle ~ I hope you are having fun at Z's program. I can't wait to hear how it went. Lot's of kleenex's I'm sure.

Aimee ~ Your tree looks great.

Laura & Becky ~ Have a great time on your vacation.

Bethany ~ Honey - you just can't see your breath in 50 degree weather. :rotfl2: Come to Nebraska and you can see the steam off of your body when you go outside, it's that cold. But you do get used to it. Personally I would rather be cold than hot. So all is good!

Marisa ~ Bless your heart!! Your condo crawl sounds like so much fun.

Robin ~ Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. They are amazing!

OMGoodness I so wish we had smellavision on here. My office smells DELICIOUS. Today is our "Country Store" here at the church. We have an all day Bazaar, homemade cinnamon rolls and coffee in the morning and lunch is soups, sandwiches and homemade pie. Well the ladies kept tripping the breakers in the Kitchen so they have brought the roasters into my office. It is pure torture - it smell sooooooo good.

I just called and asked if I could have Ethan for the weekend. I knew the kids were busy - Christmas party tomorrow night and shopping during the day. They were thrilled, Doug & I can't wait and Ethan was on top of the world with excitement. I told him we were putting up the Christmas tree. It will be so much fun having a little one to help me. The last couple of years it has been just Doug & I. I am so excited.

We are playing Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship (College football) at 7 tomorrow night. So I have told him he can watch ANY video he wants - his pick was Toy Story 3. Sounds good to me as I REALLY want to watch the game. Go Big Red!!!

WFDT ~ We are going to McDonald's - YUCK YUCK YUCK - but Ethan wants to go and he only gets to with us. LOL We are so bad!!!

So sleepy again today. I thinks it's because I had 4 and a half days off and my sleep pattern got all screwed up, I just can't get back on track. I plan to work on that this weekend. :thumbsup2

Forgot to tell you all that I turned in my quilt items to the art show and sale this week. I was a little stressed over it, having to give my baby's up to "strangers" :rotfl: I am always hyper-critical when I give them to people I know, it's much worse giving them to the general public. Will post pics of the items I submitted once I upload them.

Dinner tonight will be chicken livers and I don't know what else, DM is cooking. Have to say she does make good chicken livers.

I know Gretchen must be really busy with her new home, but is everything okay with Sheryl?

I spoke with both her & Lauren today. She's OK, in a funk and battling sinus issues but tomorrow night she'll have a blast and come right out of that funk.;) Lauren's surgery is Monday morning, she's ready for it and sounds good. Tom will let me know on Monday when she's out of surgery and I'll pass that on.

I did my errands tonight since the snow is expected to come overnight into tomorrow. I don't want to be anywhere near the roads. The first snow fall brings out the nutty people.

I think all my christmas presents have arrived. I just need one more thing which I can pick anytime since it is a giftcard. I will double check tomorrow and make sure all my people I buy for have something.:thumbsup2

Tonight is pizza and just relaxing.

I forgot to mention. Please don't stress over the card exchange the list is there if you can do it great if not great too. These days are stressfull enough without anything added to it.:hug:

Glynis and Vickie- please don't worry about the cards. This time of year is meant to be enjoyed and shouldn't cause any additional stress. We all know that we're in each other's hearts.

Robin- thanks for sharing those pictures. I always wondered what the inside of the treehouses looked like. And I can almost tell what you look like now:)

Marisa- Do you swim or is it swimming for Kady? I was thinking about joining an adult swimming group and am curious if you have any experience with it.

Bethany- I can't believe my friend either. I'm still trying to figure out how to approach the issue to get it resolved to my satisfaction without being hostile.

Ellen- enjoy your weekend with Ethan. I'm sure the three of you will have a great time. Christmas decorating is always so much more fun with a little one around. I can't wait to hear about it!

Kathy- thanks for updating us on our friends. Lauren will be in my prayers all weekend and especially Monday morning. I'm holding you personally responsible for getting Sheryl out of her funk:) Enjoy your night out!

Janice- if you really finished your shopping I will be quite jealous. Enjoy your evening of relaxation.

Zachy's performance was so cute and yes I teared up. I also cried on my way out when I saw the 4 and 5 year olds starting their performance and I didn't even have anyone in the class. He also had a present he made for me which was a tile with his handprint. More tears.

Dinner tonight was smoked gouda sausages, spinach salad, and artichokes. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

She stayed after school to make up some assignments before parent/teacher conferences. Good thing, too! She was really behind in her science class, but managed to bring her grade from a C+ to a B+. This morning, she'll tackle Algebra before school, and then she should be ok. She got all A's last term, and then started slacking off. I think midterm shocked her back to reality. If she doesn't get all A's, she doesn't get unlimited texting on her phone at the end of the school year. That's something she really wants, so hopefully, it will provide incentive for her!

Good incentive! It appears to be working, since she's doing all that extra effort to pull those grades up! :thumbsup2

Bethany, I love that you were freezing in 54 degree temps! You lived in New England and should have thicker skin!! :upsidedow Just kidding!

We actually ordered these couches, and then when they were delivered, one came in the color we ordered, chocolate, and then the other was tan... :confused3 So they let us keep the tan one until our new one came in. So I cant wait for it to arrive, so I have matching couches for our progressive dinner on sunday!

:lmao: I've always gotten cold easily. We keep the a/c running between 78 and 82. I get chilly inside when the a/c is at 72. So 54? BRRR! :laughing:

I am glad the couches are coming in because I have had mismatched couches since we bought the house. We finally order matching ones and they come in MISMATCHED! :upsidedow

:scared1: Are they going to be able to correct the error before Sunday? At least you'll have a good story to share during the get together! :lmao:

Hey, Im not going to be able to send cards ower the water this year.
I have missed a week at work with the snow so lost a weeks wage.
Every penny till Christmas was counted so we need make some adjustments....sorry.

Hope youse are all well.x

:hug:

Bethany- I remember the Disney Institute! That's where I learned how to make truffles and gumbo. The sprinklers were so much fun, my husband compared it to super mario brothers with the timing and the running. We were laughing so hard our stomachs hurt. There was one dry patch of sidewalk, so we ran just behind the sprinklers, stopped and waited on the dry patch, and ran again.

I didn't learn to make anything there. (Obviously! :rotfl2:) I do remember getting the brochure about the things that were offered, and it was this "new thing" and they were really advertising it. There WAS some other learning thing we did do on that trip, but I'm not sure it was affiliated with the Disney Institute or not. My foggy memory thinks we started in a classroom somewhere on WDW property (DI maybe?) and then we went to World Showcase. I came across my course certificate recently. :rotfl:

We just stayed there. I think my parents wanted to try the whole DVC style thing with the kitchenette and I think there was a washer and dryer in the unit too. (Although I might be confusing the memory of the bungalow with the memory of some furnished temporary housing we lived in once.) I do have a picture of myself sitting at the table in the kitchen of that bungalow doing homework. :confused3 No wonder I'm confusing it with an apartment! :laughing: They even looked like an apartment complex on the outside. Kinda blah on the theming. :upsidedow That was the same trip we took the DVC tour...the tours then were still at Old Key West - the original DVC resort! :eek:

That sounds like FUN with the sprinklers! Growing up, we used to run around in the yard trying to dodge them. Thanks for the photos of the Treehouses.

Bethany ~ Honey - you just can't see your breath in 50 degree weather. :rotfl2: Come to Nebraska and you can see the steam off of your body when you go outside, it's that cold. But you do get used to it. Personally I would rather be cold than hot. So all is good!

WFDT ~ We are going to McDonald's - YUCK YUCK YUCK - but Ethan wants to go and he only gets to with us. LOL We are so bad!!!

If I had known it was 50, I wouldn't have tried. I thought it was about 30. :lmao: I would like to visit all 50 states at some point, and I have yet to visit Nebraska. I think I will time my future visit to avoid winter. I don't really want my body to steam. That just sounds so....I dunno...wrong! :eek:

I had McDonald's also. :headache: Not my favorite but I was running errands to the supermarket and I didn't want to buy everything in the store, so I stopped to eat first.

Forgot to tell you all that I turned in my quilt items to the art show and sale this week. I was a little stressed over it, having to give my baby's up to "strangers" :rotfl: I am always hyper-critical when I give them to people I know, it's much worse giving them to the general public. Will post pics of the items I submitted once I upload them.

Good luck! I would love to see pictures!

I did my errands tonight since the snow is expected to come overnight into tomorrow. I don't want to be anywhere near the roads. The first snow fall brings out the nutty people.

I think all my christmas presents have arrived. I just need one more thing which I can pick anytime since it is a giftcard. I will double check tomorrow and make sure all my people I buy for have something.:thumbsup2

The first snow, and the second snow, and the third snow, etc...When I worked at Target in Denver, we knew if it snowed it was going to be a crazy day. Once I got to work opening on a snowy day. The first hour, I helped maybe 4 people (I worked at the Guest Services counter), then after that it was a steady, crazy stream of people. No, you cannot return your pan with eggs stuck on it. No, I can't give you cash back on that return, only offer a store credit gift card, and NO I don't understand why, if you live in NYC, the Brooklyn Target is too far for you to shop at with the gift card when you are at one in DENVER! :confused3

I realized the other day I didn't have stuff for goody bags for my kids or team members at work. :headache: I thought I was done. Ha!

Bethany- I can't believe my friend either. I'm still trying to figure out how to approach the issue to get it resolved to my satisfaction without being hostile.

Zachy's performance was so cute and yes I teared up. I also cried on my way out when I saw the 4 and 5 year olds starting their performance and I didn't even have anyone in the class. He also had a present he made for me which was a tile with his handprint. More tears.

I have no ideas for you either.

There are a few times I have almost teared up at school performances. The general audience has no idea what the academic levels of the kids are, or who the behavior challenges are, but I usually do. Many times, I have seen kids who struggle to no end in the classroom do an amazing job when it comes to the arts and/or athletics, and it's awesome to see them so successful at something. You can see the pride on their faces and in their eyes too. :goodvibes

That's okay. My godson's JV football team was mentioned in the local paper and he was named as one of the key players. I called his DM to let her know and when I got her on the phone I started to cry. :rolleyes1

Robin – Thanks for posting the treehouse pics, they look really nice!

Ellen – Enjoy having Ethan this weekend! Good luck to your team!:cheer2:

Marilyn – Can’t wait to see pics of your babies,;)!

Michelle – The tile with his hand print would have gotten to me as well.

WFD - Our NOLA Christmas party!

Good morning!

My event last night was AWESOME - we had a 12 ft blow up screen and watched two movies on it outside. The weather was perfect here and it was a good time. Though I must admit my body was throbbing when I got home - I rarely do that much physical labor :laughing:

This morning is a church event, I get 2 hours off, and then another one, and tonight I declined the 3rd church invitation of the day (since I could...) and invited my mom over for turkey. We bought one when they were so cheap and weekends are the only time I have to roast one. I'm going to try a new side dish - butternut squash gratin - along with sausage stuffing, cranberry sauce and asiago olive rolls. Trimmed down Thanksgiving inspired food.

I am taking a break from shoveling our first snowfall. We have aroung 4-5 inches and it is stilling coming down. I want it to stop now.:rolleyes1

Dinner will be something warm like minestrone soup and rolls.

Kathy Do I need to even say have fun tonight?

Aimee Take it easy don't overdo it. :hug: It does sound like your evening was fun.

Michelle, Nan cries over everything Kady does. We all tease her. Jeff is the one who tears up in our family. Just ask him about Kady's first trip to Disney. He won't have dry eyes. The swimming is a team Kady is on. She tried out for the team and made it!! We have practice every night, but only three night are required. Swim meets are every other Saturday but last 5 hours!!!

Kathy have a great time and tell Sheryl we are thinking of her!

Bethany the new couch was delivered today but I wasn't home to see it. Jeff said it was nice though!!!

Tonight i am making Jeffs birthday dinner so i will be back on later!

Hello from Disney! The site is running really slow for me so I cannot type too much. We are having a great time so far and I have been taking lots of food pics for you! I think I will do a dining review on the restaurant board once I am home. I hope everyone is doing well. :)

Woo Hoo!!!!!!:cool1::banana::yay: Becky is going to do a dining review!!!

WFD - Spaghetti & meat balls, green bean & artichoke casserole and this: (I made this for our party last night and they were so easy & good!)

Holiday Wreath Rolls

* 1/2 cup butter, melted, plus 4 tablespoons, melted, for brushing
* 1 cup finely grated Pecorino cheese
* 2 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 (7 1/2- ounce) cans store-bought buttermilk biscuits

Directions

Adjust the oven racks to the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a 12-cup Bundt pan liberally with 4 tablespoons melted butter.

Combine the cheese, garlic, and herbs in a small bowl. Set aside.

Open the biscuit cans and separate each biscuit. Roll the biscuits into balls. Dip each ball into the 1/2 cup melted butter, then into the cheese-herb mixture, making sure that the whole ball is covered. Place into the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining biscuits until you have filled the pan with butter-and-herb-covered balls of dough. The balls of dough will overlap.

Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Cool in the pan then turn out onto a cake pedestal. Allow guests to use their hands to break off a roll to enjoy.

Morning!

Hooray for a dining review from Becky!!! And double hooray for pictures!!!

Yesterday was a fun, Christmas-y day for us! We had our church Christmas breakfast which was amazingly yummy and fun! After that, the kids decorated the Christmas tree. I swore that I was going to leave it alone, but I find myself moving ornaments around to fill holes, etc. I opted to leave my Disney ornaments in storage for a couple more years until Timothy really understands what "don't touch" means!

After the tree, Timothy took a nap, Katie did some homework, and Leslie (who has been coughing and dealing with breathing problems) relaxed on the couch. Jacob and Mary played Wii. While all that was going on, I made some gingerbread cookies with a new recipe, that was awfully good! Spicy, but not too spicy. Mary helped me cut them out, and we had a fun time. They were really exceptionally yummy!!!

Once Timothy and Leslie woke up from their naps, we loaded the kids up in the car with the cookies, and a leftover pan of breakfast casserole. We drove an hour away to a small community in the mountains called Midway. The people who settled here were originally Switzerland, so all the buildings feel like they could belong to the Alps. At a small church, there is an interfaith display of nativity scenes. This church is crowded with room after room of displays. From quilts to stained glass windows; from scenes made from rocks and pinecones to a beautiful set made out of Fontanina marble from Italy. The largest room in the church is dedicated to nativity scenes from around the world. These were fascinating! There were Native American creches, Peruvian creches, Zimbabweian creches, etc. Just amazing. There was even a creche that had been carved on 2 wooden matchsticks! You had to use a magnifying glass to see it. AMAZING!

Once we looked our fill, we loaded everyone back in the van, handed out bowls of the breakfast casserole, and drove around looking at the neighborhood displays of lights.

What a fun night!!! Next weekend, we are hoping the weather stays good enough to take the kids to see the light display at Temple Square in Salt Lake City. I'll take pictures there. I couldn't at the creche display, as it wasn't allowed.

Dinner tonight will be hamhock and white bean soup. Yummy! Alan is making the soup, and I'll make some biscuits or breadsticks to go with it. Yummy!!!

Here is the quilt.

100_3704.jpg

100_3721.jpg

Here is the one bag.

100_3711.jpg

100_3708.jpg

And the other. I put a purple drawstring in it.

100_3707.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter