The "What I wish someone had told me as a new member" Thread

Your guide should have told you about splitting your contract up. We bought BLT last month and ours advised us to split our 450 point purchase into smaller contracts. We ended up with 2, 225 point contracts as that way both of our 2 kids can have one passed down to them.
I would have split it differently and will expand for the benefit of others. Maybe two 150's and two 75's or possibly even better 150/100*2/50/25 or something along the same principles. You could have still left 225 to each but have more variables covered if you wanted to sell part but not all later. The only negative is each comes with it's own deed so you'd need to change all deeds when transfering to them.

I think the biggest issue for many is knowing the rules ahead of time if you can and that's where DIS comes in. Another is availability issues and the need for planning. I'd recommend everyone get and read the POS before being truly committed.

I used to be a big "buy where you want to stay person" but I've come around to what I think is better for most people, "buy where you don't mind staying". If you've got to have a specific resort most trips or a difficult to get option that is important to you, one should own at that location. However, I don't think that fits most people thus I think if you buy the least you'd be happy with most trips and then can get "better" at 7 months out, even better. If that minimum resort includes SSR, that is currently the best value resale.

Ditto on the splitting contracts. Our first contract was 175 points, then added on 25. Now we need to add at least 325 points along they way so that we can divide equally (3 kids) in the future. I think they are just going to have to fight over it or learn to share;) although I would love to think that some day we could add on another 325 points.

The main one for us would be how often the point chart reallocation could change. And, how just by changing a week into a season could really impact the number of points you need for the stay.

I wish I had bought more points. The initial buy in of 160 isn't enough!I would habe bought at least 200 and split into smaller contracts if i could go back.I will be adding on just trying to get some debts paid off first.

I wish someone would have told me that there is no such thing as enough points and addonitis will hit you the minute you try to book your first stay.

I also wish someone would have told me how addictive the Disboards are so I would quit checking them 5 or 6 times a day. I know a lot of "honey do" items have been neglected in order for me to get my DIS fix.

Agreed, and Agreed!!!! :thumbsup2

We recently purchased at AKL and actually just returned home from our first trip - I'd agree - we should've bought more points initially - addonitis has gripped both DH and I - not sure we are going to make it much longer......................... LOL

:goodvibes

Wish I had known they were going to charge $100 for II now RCI trades. Wish I had known they were closing down Pleasure Island and Adventurers Club:headache:. Wish I had known the economy was gonna tank, could of bought $20 per point cheaper then I already had.:mad:
Wish I had known how much I was still gonna like my DVC anyway and excited for our next trip!Looking forward to the MK expansion and plan to go to WWHP since it is opening.:goodvibes

Be foreworned new owners....
Once you stay in a one bedroom, you will never again be truly happy in a studio. :sad1:
Put it off or get ready to add on.

Be foreworned new owners....
Once you stay in a one bedroom, you will never again be truly happy in a studio. :sad1:
Put it off or get ready to add on.

LOL - This is true................ on our trip we had scheduled our last night to move from a 1br to a studio - to save pts. as it was a weekend day - ummmmmm yeah, we checked in - saw the 1 br. and DH had me call IMMEDIATELY to try to change it - fortunately we were able to and didn't have to move.............. but, yeah, we are spoiled now and a studio will just not do............... :rolleyes1

LOL

True, stayed in a two bedroom boardwalk view in march. Added on a bay lake tower to cover us in a 1 bdrm going forward. The convenience of the washer and dryer is great, as are the separate bedroom from the living area.
Just wish we would have added on earlier to get the previous use years points.

I wish I had bought in a few months sooner when they prices were better and I wish we split up our initial buy into 2 different contracts so we could get lower closing cost on one. I didn't know that you only paid closing costs on your first contract.

I wish I knew about the DIS Boards prior to buying into DVC :)

I wish someone would have told me that there is no such thing as enough points and addonitis will hit you the minute you try to book your first stay.

I also wish someone would have told me how addictive the Disboards are so I would quit checking them 5 or 6 times a day. I know a lot of "honey do" items have been neglected in order for me to get my DIS fix.

COMPLETELY agree! We have owned for just 1 year now and I think I've been talking about adding on for the last 10 months! I appeased my DH with buying the minimum (he was hesitant at first so I didn't want him to stress about it) and with all of my vacation ideas rolling around in my head (from day 1 mind you) 160 is just not enough! But...I'm making do for now and appreciating what I do have...

Be careful when offering to bring guests. They don't always appreciate your investment or the points you are required to use to bring them along.

Second that! Some just don't get it and think you are staying at WDW world cause you plucked free hotel leaves off of the WDW tree in your back yard!

1. Wish I knew about the DIS boards and the Timeshare Store.
2. Wish I knew I could have split the points(210) into two contracts (160) then an add on of 50.
3. Wish I knew how to pick stocks. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter