The we loooooove Bonnet Creek thread part2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back from a week at Bonnet Creek, had a great time in building 3.
I liked it so much i thought it may be nice to own some points.

I was looking at a resale to purchase, and would like about 250,000 points.
You can buy a resale a a pretty nice price, But what i can not get in my head. Is the yearly maintence fee's, something aound 1,500.00 dollars yearly. That is more than I pay for renting points for a 2 or 3 bedroom. So why would I buy a resale, I know i must be missing soemthing, Help?
I too have studied whether owning points is better that renting, and found it is more cost-effective to rent. You have also discovered why people are willing to give away, or sell for very little timeshares just to escape the burden of those fees.

However, some people may want the control owning their own points gives them. They don't like to shop around for rentals. Also, even for resale owners, there are some opportunities for discounts on last-minute or off-season stays as some resorts.

In any case, doing research on TUG before buying is a very smart thing to do.

DCTooTall said:
Someone else mentioned the availability of a late checkout. It's not always available, and they may charge you for it.

However.... You are not required to leave the resort when you checkout, and bell services will hold your bags for you. There is nothing preventing you from checking out, and then spending the day at the pools at the resort until you need to make your way to the airport. There are restrooms near all the pools which you can use to change from your swim gear to your airport gear. I believe i've heard people mention that at least some of these pool restrooms also have showers if you wanted to shower before heading to the airport.

I don't remember if it's an official Starbucks location that will accept a GC, but the coffee/pastry shop in the lobby of the Wyndham Grand does sell Starbucks Coffee.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I'll 3rd the idea that the clientele that the resort draws can be less respectful of the property than many people would think. The "Not my house" atmosphere seems to run rampant from a large number of the renters. As the previous poster mentioned, the cheap rentals is both a boon and a bane.

I did also want to mention a few things in some defense for the resort itself. First, the Room requests are just that, requests. There is nothing that guarantees they will honor the request. Officially, The only people who's requests are even considered are VIP owners staying at the resort [it's one of the "perks" of VIP ownership.... and like all VIP benefits, aren't transferable]. That said, WBC does seem to do a very good job on the whole of at least trying to accommodate room requests from everyone based off reports around here. The earlier you check in however the better your chances of have the request met since they'll have more inventory to work with. [for the majority of reservations, your room assignment is not locked in until you check in, so someone checking in prior to you may make a request at checkin that has the front desk assign the room that was tentatively was going to assigned to you].

Secondly, Since the resort is a timeshare resort, It's options are extremely limited on it's abilities to 'Make it Right' with guest satisfaction offers. With a hotel, if there is an issue, They have the option to offer items such as free nights or comp certificates for various services. This is because the budget, including any losses due to these comps, is paid for by the rates your pay the hotel for your nightly stay. These guest satisfaction measures ultimately will come out of the profit the hotel generates, with the idea that the short term loss will generate future profit from a repeat stay.

Since this is a timeshare resort however, The resort doesn't have room in it's budget for such things. Your nightly rate you are paying as a renter goes into the pocket of the owner you are renting the points from. The Resort's budget is set/voted upon at the beginning of the year and paid for out of the annual dues which every owner is responsible for paying.... both the large commercial outfits, and the sweet old retired couple who own enough points for a week with the grandkids at disney every year. There is no profit built into the budget as it's designed to pay for the costs of maintaining the property and daily operations, as well as funding a small reserve fund for any future repairs or unexpected expenses [to help shield the owners from a surprise $500 payment should something like a hurricane hit the area and cause some damage to the resort.... or to pay for plumbing repairs due to a burst pipe.... or TBH.... to pay for the damage done by the college kids who found a cheap rental and trashed their room or parts of the resort]. The Profit that Wyndham generates/generated from the resort comes from selling the resort to the owners, and not from the nightly stays. [similar to how DVC makes a majority of it's money from sales, and not cash-rate nightly stays]. Since the resort doesn't have in it's operational budget the money for "make it right" expenses, they don't have any options available for a like-cash type response like a voucher for one of the onsite food locations. (which aren't run/funded as part of the resort operations).

Sorry if I rambled or ranted, but I felt it was important to make the distinction between the differences between a hotel and timeshare resort in this context. Especially as there are a LOT of renters staying at this resort who probably have no idea how a timeshare works, I felt it was important to try and show that sometimes the 'lack of customer service' which the staff can get blamed for isn't due to the staff's lack of concern or desire to provide customer service, but the simple fact that as this is not a hotel, They don't have all the tools in their customer service tool-bag that people only familiar with hotels may be accustomed too.

I do agree with you! And you can have issues anyplace you stay, in fact, you probably will find something that will not be exactly to your liking. As I said, once we got settled, we were ok. The view seems like a make-or-break issue, but once you get busy and into the vacation, it becomes less important. We'll just see if checking in early makes a difference.
Your points on the differences between a ts and regular hotel are well noted. I do think people are unaware of this and are put off by the lack of hotel-like atmosphere (not sure if that's the right way to put it). I don't care about housekeeping as much, but that's the one Disney difference that I miss(their customer interaction). I will say though that most of the staff we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful.
We're going back so it couldn't have been that bad, right? (Wink) May have to try Reunion some day, wonder if Ken rents there...

May have to try Reunion some day, wonder if Ken rents there...

The rates will most likely not be as good since Ginn only has 3BR and the best an owner can do is get the 50% discount. Whereas, at BC they can get a 1BR at 50% and upgrade.

IMO Ginn is the superior resort. More spread out and relaxing and better behaved children and adults.

I just got back from a week at Bonnet Creek, had a great time in building 3.
I liked it so much i thought it may be nice to own some points.

I was looking at a resale to purchase, and would like about 250,000 points.
You can buy a resale a a pretty nice price, But what i can not get in my head. Is the yearly maintence fee's, something aound 1,500.00 dollars yearly. That is more than I pay for renting points for a 2 or 3 bedroom. So why would I buy a resale, I know i must be missing soemthing, Help?

If all you want to do is go to Bonnet Creek, then renting is probably your better option.
I purchased 49,000 points at Star Island for $100, my sole intent being to stay 5 nights off season at Bonnet Creek.
But the first thing I did was trade to RCI, and get 1 week in a 2 BR at Orange Lake. My cost was about $50 per night. I also traded to RCI and got 1 week in Tiberias, Israel, for a bit over $600 (my cost).
That being said, due to the changes in points and fees with RCI, in my opinion it's impractical to trade to RCI. I could never get that Orange Lake deal now, and the trade for Tiberias would cost me at least double.
Therefore, the only practical use I see for RCI is buying their "sales." The Tiberias location, for example, can be bought for around $500--compared to trading $1200 in points!
But as far as staying at Wyndham resorts, I have used my points to stay in Flagstaff ($55 per night my cost). I'm looking at Puerto Rico for next year.
What you should be aware of is that Wyndham also runs "sales," usually for locations 1 or 2 months out. Thus. Wyndham Kingsgate at Colonial Williamsburg is often offered at 30% off, meaning I can stay there for about $40 per night. Wyndham Orlando resorts are also often offered at a discount.
So if you want to travel a bit and stay at Wyndham or RCI affiliates, buying would be better.
I hope this helped.

I do agree with you! And you can have issues anyplace you stay, in fact, you probably will find something that will not be exactly to your liking. As I said, once we got settled, we were ok. The view seems like a make-or-break issue, but once you get busy and into the vacation, it becomes less important. We'll just see if checking in early makes a difference.
Your points on the differences between a ts and regular hotel are well noted. I do think people are unaware of this and are put off by the lack of hotel-like atmosphere (not sure if that's the right way to put it). I don't care about housekeeping as much, but that's the one Disney difference that I miss(their customer interaction). I will say though that most of the staff we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful.
We're going back so it couldn't have been that bad, right? (Wink) May have to try Reunion some day, wonder if Ken rents there...

Personally I usually just request a lake view in a higher floor and don't usually pay much attention to the actual tower. Or, I'll give several tower options in my request. The more options you give them, the better the odds of having your request met.

The housekeeping personally, as an owner, has kind of disappointed me a bit lately. Actually, to be perfectly honest, several of the changes at the resort's policies over the past several years have bugged me. The sad thing is, because i'm an owner and therefore a bit more aware and sensitive to the costs of the resort [and the impact to my annual fees], I understand the reasons behind the changes and can't fault the decision. In most cases, I can usually directly tie those adverse policy changes to attempts to control/maintain costs due to unruly or inconsiderate guests [and my assumption is they are primarily renters since owners....even ones transfering from another Wyndham property... understand that other individuals have to pay those resort costs. Renters on the other hand are more likely to think it's the big Wyndham company who pays for the upkeep because their name is on the property].

A couple examples I can think of off the top of my head are the pool-towel signouts (due to towel shortages caused by guests taking the towels), the dimished pool hours (my first visit the pools were open 24/7. by the 2nd the hard midnight close was being enforced. From what I was told, the change was due to unruly guests being loud thruout the night and a few incidents of people trashing the pool areas overnight)..... and the housekeeping quality. (My first stay had the traditional Timeshare Check-out duties such as taking out the trash, running the dishwasher, stripping the beds and putting the sheets in a pile, etc. By my 2nd trip, These requirements were no longer needed.... My assumption: People unfamiliar with Timeshare properties and thinking it was like a hotel stay, were not doing these simple things which help keep things clean for the next owner/guest and assist in the room turnover. Rather than fighting a losing battle, The resort just gave up and decided to increase the housekeeping staff to account for the increased workload in turning over the units...... Which directly ties to the outsourcing of the housekeeping duties.)

Oh! And as for if Ken rents at the Reunion resort, i'd say it's a pretty safe assumption since Wyndham treats points as points and are valid at any Wyndham resort. As someone else mentioned, The cost however would likely be more than what you are paying at Bonnet Creek however as the resort is comprised of 3bdrm units instead of the larger variety at WBC. I believe it's also a smaller resort, so the discounts and tricks the commercial renters use to get such a cheap rate would not be as effective at Reunion.

(On the flip side... If you have a golfer in your family, They may enjoy Reunion more as besides the resort's really nice atmosphere and units, It's also located on a Golf Course)

Is the yearly maintence fee's, something aound 1,500.00 dollars yearly. That is more than I pay for renting points for a 2 or 3 bedroom. So why would I buy a resale, I know i must be missing soemthing, Help?
First of all, $1,500 for 250K is $6/K, and that is a little worse than average. Mine is quite a bit better than average, at about $4.05/K.

Even so, Janet is right. If Bonnet Creek is the only Wyndham resort in which you are interested, you are probably better off renting from Plat VIPs. Bonnet is so large that it is relatively easy to get 60-day bookings there, and Orlando is generally a hyper-competitive marketplace that very much favors the renter. However, if you are interested in the system more generally---where most in-season bookings are gone well before the 60 day mark, and "landlords" can command a premium price because demand outstrips supply---then owning resale is often the way to go.

We just returned home from 9 nights at the WBC. Overall we really enjoyed the resort!! Here are my thoughts on a few things -

Check-In - We arrived around 3ish. Room was not ready. My only issue was that they could not give us any estimate on when it might be ready. We requested a handicap accessible room because mil was with us and had recently had hip surgery.

I was just not a fan of the hard sell at the parking counter. Next time will send dh. I just wanted my parking pass and wanted them to leave me alone. I checked the lowest income box on the form, told her I was not interested in the breakfast and she continued to badger me. Very annoying.

Room choice - We were in tower 2, lake view, room 636. Honestly, it was a great location! We could see Epcot fireworks at night, the playground was right there and the pool at tower 3 was right next to us. I would highly recommend it. The room was beautiful, clean and perfect for our needs. I was very worried about the quality of the room after reading about the couch issue but our room was very very nice.

Handicap Accessible Room - Unfortunately the handicap accessible rooms have all the handicap accessible things in the 2nd bathroom, not the master. Since mil was staying in the master, this did not help her at all. Luckily she is now able to get around well enough that she was fine. She did mention that the toilet in the master is VERY low and it is. Even my kids mentioned it.

Parking - Handicap parking (while mil was with us) was pretty tough to find in the evening. Not a huge deal for us as dh just dropped mil at the circle drive and parked. We had no problem at any point finding a regular parking place.

Unwanted phone calls - They did call a few times, once at 8ish AM on the morning we were sleeping in. That was annoying. The rest of the calls were when we were gone so not a problem at all.

"Disney" feel - I really didn't miss it. I missed having the bus system when we split up one day. WBC does have the bus but it's just not the same. Much more of a pain to plan around their bus schedule. But, I really loved the location and didn't mind not being at a Disney hotel. We have always stayed on site but were fine and happy not being on site.

Would we go back? I think that will depend on when we go and how long we stay. It's just so wonderful to have 2 bedrooms and additional living space for such a reasonable price. Being able to put the kids to sleep and not having to tiptoe around was just WONDERFUL!!!!! For a long trip, we would definitely go back!!!!

Once I get all of our pics uploaded, I will post pics of the handicap accessible bathroom for anyone who is interested in the future.

We are counting down the days...28:cheer2: and getting really excited! We are staying in a 2 bedroom deluxe and not sure about asking for lake or fireworks view or which tower. Actually after reading hundreds of posts I'm more confused!!!:confused3 So, what would a family of 5; DH,DW,ds21,ds18,and ds3 be looking for in a room? TIA!!!

We are counting down the days...28:cheer2: and getting really excited! We are staying in a 2 bedroom deluxe and not sure about asking for lake or fireworks view or which tower. Actually after reading hundreds of posts I'm more confused!!!:confused3 So, what would a family of 5; DH,DW,ds21,ds18,and ds3 be looking for in a room? TIA!!!

Oh - I can help you with that! I was asking just the same question a couple months ago and I got such differing opinions that I ended up not even making a request and just took what they gave me. My kids range from teens to baby as well. The thing that is funny here is everyone has such a different idea of what is important to them, so I can only tell you what I felt after being there.

We were in tower 1 with a fireworks view. Thing is - we are always in the parks for fireworks...so basically it was a parking lot view. We like to stay at the parks late when it is cooler, and sleep in and take the morning slowly - so all morning a fireworks view is basically a parking lot view. I thought I'd like tower one as it is close to the main pool on one side and mini golf on the other. The mini golf was sort of boring and the kids only played once. Also - you have to walk all the way to the main building to get the clubs and balls which is on the other side of the lake, then go back to the golf - so no tower is truly convienent for this. My baby liked the splash pad area at the main building, but that was it. the pool was sort of eh - and the lazy river isn't that great.

We were right next to the bus stop which was awesome, but we always had to drop off at Tower 6 first anyway. Soooo, what I can tell you is that by the time we were leaving I said next time I would definately request Tower 6 lake view. Tower six has the fun pirate ship pool with zero entry which I think would be great for all ages. - it is connected to the hotel - so much more convienent if you decide to eat there. it has a great pool bar. It is the newest building (our unit's carpeting in tower 1 was absolutely disgusting, worn stained and sticky and stinky with carpet cleaning solution)It has the bus stop. None of the towers offers everything - but in my opinion, tower 6 offered the most.

Hi there stayed at bonnet creek August 4th to the 10th. Checkin was a breeze as we pre registered at 9am and went to the park. We requested no particular building just high floor lakeview. Returned from the park at five an stopped at desk to pick up keys, we got tower 4 9th floor lake view exactly what we wanted. Upon entering the room it looked great on first inspection. until i spotted the sofa it was in terrible shape all peeling i tried flipping the cushions but was worse on the other side. I called down to guest services and got no answer, i tried numerous times. The kids were already playing all over that eyesore and getting the pealing remnants on their skin. Decided to go downstairs to the desk to find out what could be done. The manager i spoke with said they are aware of the sofa problems and are working feverishly to fix it. I asked to be moved, but was told they were full and could only offer me a ground floor unit facing the parking lot in bulding 1 he also said that building 1,2,3 were rencently renovated and that they have the problem with the sofas in building 4,5,6. Apparently they dont flag the units in their system so that they know which unit has sofas that need changing. Well that was what he told me, that they were unaware that unit sofa needed changing. Long story short i accepted the unit on the ground floor as it was more pleasing to the eye and i wouldn't cringe :scared:everytime i see my babies on it. Despite the unit problems i found the property to be beautiful and my kids enjoyed themselves and that is what is most important to me afterall. Will book again next year hopefully everything will be sorted out by then.

Oh - I can help you with that! I was asking just the same question a couple months ago and I got such differing opinions that I ended up not even making a request and just took what they gave me. My kids range from teens to baby as well. The thing that is funny here is everyone has such a different idea of what is important to them, so I can only tell you what I felt after being there.

We were in tower 1 with a fireworks view. Thing is - we are always in the parks for fireworks...so basically it was a parking lot view. We like to stay at the parks late when it is cooler, and sleep in and take the morning slowly - so all morning a fireworks view is basically a parking lot view. I thought I'd like tower one as it is close to the main pool on one side and mini golf on the other. The mini golf was sort of boring and the kids only played once. Also - you have to walk all the way to the main building to get the clubs and balls which is on the other side of the lake, then go back to the golf - so no tower is truly convienent for this. My baby liked the splash pad area at the main building, but that was it. the pool was sort of eh - and the lazy river isn't that great.

We were right next to the bus stop which was awesome, but we always had to drop off at Tower 6 first anyway. Soooo, what I can tell you is that by the time we were leaving I said next time I would definately request Tower 6 lake view. Tower six has the fun pirate ship pool with zero entry which I think would be great for all ages. - it is connected to the hotel - so much more convienent if you decide to eat there. it has a great pool bar. It is the newest building (our unit's carpeting in tower 1 was absolutely disgusting, worn stained and sticky and stinky with carpet cleaning solution)It has the bus stop. None of the towers offers everything - but in my opinion, tower 6 offered the most.

We stayed in Tower 6 for the first time in July. We had a 2 BR Presidential and loved it! The only negative I can say is that the lobby is very busy. Since it has it's own check in area and staff, there is always someone in the lobby. At first I didn't like the parking garage being next to it but it turned out to be just fine. It wasn't much more of a walk from there to the room that at another tower. It will be hard for us to go back to a Deluxe. I think we will opt for Presidentials in Tower 6 when we can.

We also just arrived home last week and also had a super time! Would definately book again! We had a parking lot view room in tower 1 3rd floor. My only complaint was with the second bathroom. Never got any hot water out of the sink. Also one night our air conditioning decided not to work...thank goodness for the ceiling fans. We called the desk the next morning and they promptly fixed it stating that the sensors on the doors needed repaired. I honestly was thinking the shut it off because I wouldn't return their sales phone calls! Ha ha ha ha! I had no troubles getting my parking pass because we never got it on the first day check in. They called and said we didn't complete check in so I went down the next day to the desk and was in a huge hurry to get my son to his YES program class so no one held us back. We were never invited to a breakfast but we did get a phone call to the room where my gullible dh almost accepted $150 worth of food at the resort. We had a quick stay from Sunday to Friday and stayed at the resort all day on Friday before our 7:15pm flight home. The bad thing was that it rained at 1pm and we had to end the fun early. We did get ice cream Sundaes before we left and that was a nice afternoon treat at the activities room. We enjoyed the lazy river and the pool but do be aware that on our last day in the pool I saw the largest water bug I ever saw.....didn't even know what it was until I came home and googled it. Someone smacked it with his flip flop and managed to get it out of the water into the lake area. I read online that if they bite you it stings for three days. Overall we were all very impressed withe the resort and especially the space. Heck the master bedroom bathroom was larger than our whole room at the Contemporary! I am sure we will definately plan to come back again!

Can I ask a question here about how comfortable the sleeper sofas are at WBC for adults? We've stayed at 2 suite hotels recently and both the sleeper sofas were extremely uncomfortable for adults because the mattresses were so thin. Kids didn't seem to mind, though, but we'd like to put adults on the sleeper sofas at WBC.

Thanks.

Thanks for replying!!! We are celebrating our son's last cancer treatment and are excited to have a "wonderful" time to relax...not worry about our room! I have read that tower 6 is for the presidential rooms...are their deluxe units in it also? We are thinking high lake side view. Where is a good place to see the fireworks at the resort if your in a lake view room? :scratchin

Thanks for replying!!! We are celebrating our son's last cancer treatment and are excited to have a "wonderful" time to relax...not worry about our room! I have read that tower 6 is for the presidential rooms...are their deluxe units in it also? We are thinking high lake side view. Where is a good place to see the fireworks at the resort if your in a lake view room? :scratchin

There are a few deluxe units in Tower 6 on the lower floors. The higher floors (I believe floor 10 and above) are exclusively Presidential units.

I felt the exact same way before we left so I never made a request other than that we needed a handicap accessible room. I will agree that the most important thing to request is a higher floor. The view is so pretty from up higher. If I were on the first floor facing the parking lot I just would not have been happy. It would have been fine, of course, because we spent most of our time in the parks but a higher floor, no matter what building or room location is going to give you a great view. I really wanted a lake view but ended up being able to see the lake AND fireworks, which was great! I personally would choose lake over fireworks, though.

Can you see the Epcot Ball from Tower 3? I don't care about fireworks, but would LOVE to see the Epcot Ball every morning (and evening)! I am thinking Tower 3 just because it's the most recently upgraded. I'm not too overly picky about the room in general though as we will be spending most of our time in the parks. We have no kids - just us two adults :)

Hi, I am just starting to look into a trip here and found this thread. We want to stay here in mid October for a week. It's not a full-blown Disney trip, just looking to relax after a week in Key West. We will visit a few parks while there.

I can get a 1BR for about $186 a night which I thought sounded good, then I read here about time share rentals. I've e-mailed Ken to find out about that.

My question is, if you reserve a room through the BC site are you treated more like a hotel guest than a sales prospect? I would be happy to pay the higher rate if that is the case. Your experiences? Thanks.

Hi, I am just starting to look into a trip here and found this thread. We want to stay here in mid October for a week. It's not a full-blown Disney trip, just looking to relax after a week in Key West. We will visit a few parks while there.

I can get a 1BR for about $186 a night which I thought sounded good, then I read here about time share rentals. I've e-mailed Ken to find out about that.

My question is, if you reserve a room through the BC site are you treated more like a hotel guest than a sales prospect? I would be happy to pay the higher rate if that is the case. Your experiences? Thanks.

To expand upon that a bit.... ;)

For all intents and purposes, There are only 2 types of guests who stay at WBC as far as most of the staff are concerned. Owners, and Guests. If you are not an owner staying on points, then you are a guest.

For the sales weasels.... The only difference between the 2 types is if you get a sales presentation, or an "owners update", aka.... a sales presentation focused on how "you can increase your usage of the Wyndham system thru owning more points and and upgrading to the next level of VIP where you can take care of more discounts and perks".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter