• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Wave

clanmcculloch

DIS Veteran
I know that lots of people love the Wave, but we'll never go back.

Things started of badly when they didn't have any note of our food allergies. Granted, this could very well be an issue with the Special Dining department since it seemed that there were a few places that didn't have the note but it certainly wasn't our only problem.

The waitress made us feel like she was put out by us. The chef seemed as though he really didn't want to be having to do anything special. All he could do for the girls to start was fruit. Luckily DD11 loves steak and orders it at any opportunity so she had the tenderloin, plain. None of the sides were safe or could be made safe so she just got corn with margarine. The fruit was her second side. She's fine with this so no big deal but I was surprised that he couldn't do anything else. DD9 had a burger and they ordered fries from room service (fries aren't normally available there). DD11's chocolate soy milk came out in a big glass which seemed odd as our previous meals all ended up with a few single serving cartons brought out to her. The waitress assured us that she poured soy milk but I'll admit that I was a bit nervous.

DH and I did enjoy our meals. They were VERY tasty. The steaks cut like butter and were delicious. This isn't a 100% negative review.

Well, DD11 was up throwing up at 2:30. She continued throwing up every 10-20 minutes until around 6:30. This is her exact pattern when she eats certain foods. Even the timing is dead on for our dinner at the Wave.

In the morning when DH went to get our coffee (while I finally got to sleep since I was up with DD11), he mentioned this to the concierge at our resort (POFQ). They were very appologetic on behalf of the Wave and the Contemporary. They had the chef call and he said he prepared their food himself and spoke with the waitress about the milk and she was positive that it was the soy milk. He gave me his direct number and said to call if we needed anything from him. What could we need from him? He can't do anything at this point. We had to cancel our day at the park. Luckily DD11 does bounce back pretty quickly once she stops throwing up and gets some sleep so after sleeping in, we just toured POR in the afternoon and then we were able to make our evening ADR.

DH mentioned his disappointment in the Wave to the concierge at POFQ and they sent DD11 a wonderful delivery of balloons, a signed picture of Belle with the Beast and a few gifts. It made her really happy which I liked. POFQ wasn't even in any way responsible but they went out of their way to make her feel better. They called several different times to see if she needed a doctor, to see if she was feeling better, to see if there was anything they could do. POFQ picked up the slack for the Wave. They made sure she was not only OK but great.

Several days later, we ran into a family with home we had hung out at the playground and the pool. We were shocked to hear that their daughter had gotten food poisoning at the Wave. She ate completely different food from DD11 (crab cakes). This tells me that there's a serious problem over there. What are the odds of 2 different families who just happened to meet at their resort pool both having stories of getting sick at the same restaurant within days of each other? Those odds must be insanely small, yet it happened.

We will be making sure to send in a letter to ensure that at a minimum food safety issues are addressed. We also plan to send a letter regarding POFQ taking such good care of us. This isn't the only positive at POFQ. They also took unbelievably great care with food allergies including even making a special batch of pizzas and brownies that fit DD11's complicated allergies (even the Divies and French Meadows desserts aren't safe for her and she only ever gets pizza at home). Everybody all over POFQ was wonderful. I'm only sharing this make it clear that we're not just complainers. I usually stand up for everything Disney when people are knocking it but IMO the Wave has problems that need to be addressed.

thank you for your good reviews as well as the bad ones.....I am sorry that your poor daughter was sick ....I am impressed with French Quarter and their making sure that your dd was really really better.......that is what makes some of the people in Disney fantastic.

Thanks again for your report. My niece has nut allergies also and we are always aware of this. My other niece is allergic to shell fish.....so being aware and having the issues disclosed is the way to go...

DD11 can't have gluten, milk, eggs, yeast, citrus or MSG.
DD9 can't have milk, sesame, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, cranberries, blueberries or citrus.

We really were very impressed with POFQ for everything they did when we were there (they were SO great about the allergies; we ate lunch there almost every day). We won't hesitate to stay there again.

Which allergen do you think was the one? This is a little bit scary for allergy sufferers!

I really think it was that the waitress brought out regular chocolate milk instead of soy milk. Everywhere else, we got those little single serving cartons. It was a huge glass and I just don't see somebody taking the time to dump that many cartons into a glass. We did ask for confirmation when we saw the glass, but I'm thinking it was that. Of course I have no way of knowing for sure. Usually it's yeast that makes her throw up like that but it only take a tiny amount of yeast. She hasn't had a large amount of milk in years so I have no way to know how she'd react to a huge glass of straight milk. If it wasn't the milk it could have been anything since the chef wasn't taking detailed notes when we listed their allergies.

Why do you think that it was not listed on the reservation? Did you request it to be noted (I always do and I haven't had a problem)?

Why do you think that it was not listed on the reservation? Did you request it to be noted (I always do and I haven't had a problem)?

I added 2 reservations after sending in my food allergy form, one of them being the Wave. I resent it and in the email stated that I added 2 and which ones they were. Neither place had a note of our allergies. Now I know to be sure to make sure that they acknowledge any updates since people do make honest mistakes and miss things.

While it was disappointing that these 2 places didn't have any note of the allergies on our reservations, that IMO is still not the reason that she got sick. We did speak with the chef and our waitress was right there as we spoke with him and was also aware of the allergies.

I'm SO sorry to hear you had a bad experience at The Wave. That was our first meal in DW this past trip and everything from the cocktails, the service and the meal was just amazing. Sadly, it could have just been an isolated situation. Years ago, we ate at KFC, everyone had the cole slaw but my ex husband. He was the ONLY one who didn't have food poisioning. Till this day, NONE of my children will eat at a KFC. That was 10 years ago! :scared1:

Again, so sorry for you all.

Chris

So sorry your daughter had an allergic reaction. What a scary situation. I want to thank you for posting and sharing your experience. As a parent of a child with life-threatening food allergies I really appreciate learning about other peoples experiences. I have to admit that I though about trying the Wave for our last trip in early January but didn't make any reservations because I didn't know enough about it yet. Thanks for the info.

Gee I'm sorry you had a problem with dining at WDW with allergies.

Hope your DD is feeling better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter