spookysarah

DIS Veteran
The Journey

The Cast

Been once before...

Me, Sarah 31 – chief planner, lover of all things Disney
DH, Craig, 34 – driver and foodie
DD, Holly, 10 – loves characters and especially drawing them
DD, Rowan, 8 – not going upside down this year!

And newbies...

My mum, Shona, 50 - big kid and possible thrill junkie
My dad, Alastair, 57 – the banker and carrier bag holder
My sister, Mel, 29 – doesn’t do characters and slightly bemused by the 'Disney thing'

20th and 21st September 2007

Up reasonably early today and spent the morning doing all the usual running about and last minute packing. Holly and Rowan were not at school and very excited! My sister had a last minute appointment at her bank so we finally set off around 2.30pm. We met up with my mum, dad and sister at Stirling services. The next part of the journey to Glasgow was a nightmare. The rain was not falling out of the sky, it was more like a power shower and it was very dark too. Traffic was very heavy as it was a Friday afternoon. Wished we had left earlier but arrived safe and sound shortly before 6pm. Nerves were a bit shot though!

We checked into the Express by Holiday Inn. Our room was right beside the lift. It had a double bed, a single bed ad a sofabed. Both girls had eyes for the double sofabed until I said to Holly that single would be comfier. Problem solved! We pretty much dumped our bags and headed to Harry Ramsdens for tea. We had an assortment of goodies, all very tasty and just under 40 quid.

Suitably stuffed we wandered around the airport and bought some magazines. It was an early night for all of us but Craig and I did not sleep well. Woke up well before the alarm and dragged ourselves through the shower. Once we were packed up we decided to go and check in prior to breakfast. We have done this in the past and it works well. Check in was quick and smooth then it was back to the hotel for our breakfast. Some ate more than others – can you guess who? I was keeping a look out for some friends from the Dibb but it was them that spotted us first. It was lovely to meet them and we had a quick photo op. A question from Janny caused me to haul out Mapman’s map when a voice called out, ‘Is this an official Dibb meet?’ It was another Dibber and her family! We had a quick chat all of us and then we headed to departures. Hovering around the duty free my DD spotted someone from our town who was yes, another dibber who lives loca to us. After yet another chat we wished them a fab holiday and set off to the gate. My sister and I ad been given boarding cards together several rows in front of the others. They were called to board first and when we boarded a short time later I decided to stay put initially (but then stayed there all flight!)

Mini Dibb meet

IMG_0533800x600-1.jpg

Trying to relax....but too excited!

IMG_0532800x600.jpg

The First Choice planes are lovely. The seats are very roomy and there was good entertainment. My sister upgraded her screen for £5 to get extras. I spent most of the flight playing an interactive game against other passengers. I got a bit competitive and managed to be the high score of the flight, sad isn’t it? LOL! The food was very good and the cabin crew super helpful. We would definitely fly with them again.

My sis and I chilling out (scary close up)

IMG_0535800x600.jpg

Dad (sleeping again!) Holly and a very bleary-eyed Craig (he’s got to drive at the end of this flight – eek!)

IMG_0534800x600.jpg

I don’t have a photo of mum and Rowan, I think they were strapped to the wing, LOL!!

Some of the food - Beef Casserole, salad and lemon cheesecake

Florida2007GM002800x600.jpg

Another food pic - Chicken Tortellini (Mels had Veggie Tortellini)

Florida2007GM003800x600.jpg

Added this pic to show seat back entertainment and space

Florida2007GM001800x600.jpg

Our flight landed pretty much on time and we joined the hoards of people waiting in immigration. Craig had copied my visa waiver and had put himself down as female!! We did another one in the queue and it is safe to say that tempers were starting to fray. Eventually it was our turn. I have to say that last year I thought we got lucky with the friendly clerk but this year the guy was super friendly. He chatted about our plans and to the girls and when they said they were excited to be going to Disney he gave them a special stamp in their passports. It is Mickey and Pluto. I was so jealous that he stamped mine as well, woohoo! After that it was a short wait for all our bags and then outside where we spotted the *********** driver with my parents name on. They were going to take a town car with my sister to the hotel while the four of us drove. Tempers really frayed now due to the stress and the heat. Dad went to Dollar with Craig just to make sure that everything was OK and once we had our keys they set off with ***********. One quick look in the boot made us realise that this car had much less luggage space than last year so Crag was back into Dollar and brought put keys for another car. Same make, Grand Caravan but more luggage space. We set off to the I4 determined not to get lost this time. We have a terrible habit of reading signs that are for the next turn-off and we ended up panicking and on the 417 headed north. We had no change so drove through and straight off again. We then had a 15 minute scenic tour through Sanford before we picked up signs for the I4. Doh!!

The drive down was uneventful and we were soon at the Enclave Suites. Dad was sat on the kerb with our room key. We were in side by side rooms on the 9th floor. It was a fantastic feeling to be back! We quickly dumped all our cases and headed out to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner. There was a pit of panic when Craig did his first left turn out of the hotel car park – watch that caaaaaaaaar!!!! – but his driving was great after that. We loved eating At Sweet Tomatoes the first year and it did not disappoint this time either. Well, I think my dad was a little bit stuck for something to eat being an all day breakfast kind of guy!
Suitably stuffed we set off for Wal-Mart to stock up on bits and bobs. Water, suncream, snacks, sunnies and a whole lot more. Rowan was disappointed that they no longer stock Spongebob cereal.
By now we were just fit for bed so that’s what we did. Holly and Rowan were quickly asleep and it was when Craig and I went off to bed that we discovered we were not alone! Ants! Loads of them all over the bed. They were coming from behind the bed on the carpet. There was no way we were sleeping there so we called down to reception and they gave us a key for a room 5 floors down. We had to wake the girls and move all our stuff. I was so glad we had not unpacked a thing! Exhausted we fell into bed. Night everyone!

Wait….that’s not the end! During the night I heard some very loud talking and was thinking that the walls seemed thinner than I remembered. A short time later there was more talking and then I thought I heard Holly so I dragged myself out of bed. She was in the living room and said that someone from reception had been in our room. Then the phone rang and it was reception. They asked who we were and why we were in that room. I explained and then I realised that the loud talking I had heard earlier had been new arrivals that had been allocated our room. They had actually been in our room because we had forgotten to put on the safety bar. I was horrified at what could have happened and felt really bad. Rowan had also woken up and started to have a bit of a panic attack. I had to wake Craig and she came into bed with me while he headed off to her bed.

OK, this time it is night, night everyone (please!)

Tomorrow – Magic Kingdom and who is Felix?

Lovely day. I know I have read this report before but enjoyed it again.:thumbsup2

Great trip report - I think First Choice are great too - we went on a 12 hour flight with them to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico last year and it was the best flight I have ever been on - much better than BA or Virgin :thumbsup2

Cool getting your passport stamped. But scary having "intruders" in both rooms ;)

Great report so far :goodvibes

How scary that you actually had people in the room while you were sleeping! That would have totally freaked me out!

now I know i have definately read this before as i would not forget the awful visitors in the night experience!!!

Susan

How terrible that you had someone come into your room. :scared1:

Not to sure about the intruders in the night :scared1: but it's always nice when you arrive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter