The WALDORF ASTORIA ORLANDO and HILTON BONNET CREEK Information Thread

Most recent TripAdvisor review:

“Great experience”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando

travelingfamMaryland 1 contribution

Maryland

Oct 22, 2009 | Trip type: Family

Just got back from three nights at the Waldorf in Orlando. We loved the hotel and appreciated the great staff. We had amazing service from the moment we pulled up. We have stayed at many other Disney properties and other 4star hotels throughout the country and The Waldorf is now at the top of our list of favorites. The shuttle bus service to the parks was top notch as well. After spending three looong days at the parks, it was great to look forward to going "home" to our elegant, comfortable and non-disney room. We look forward to going back again!

Most recent TripAdvisor review:

“Great experience”

Waldorf Astoria Orlando

travelingfamMaryland 1 contribution

Maryland

Oct 22, 2009 | Trip type: Family

The shuttle bus service to the parks was top notch as well.

I should have mentioned in my review of the Hilton that the shuttle bus is much more comfortable than the typical Disney bus – with cushioned seats that recline, a foot rest and even movies playing :). Also they weren’t very crowded when we were there. I just didn’t like the scheduling aspect only be able to get back to the hotel every hour and having to go to multiple parks on the bus to get to the park we wanted to go to. The transportation would probably work great for people who stay in the same park all day and don’t have much interest in going to Downtown Disney in the evening.

Sounds like it is better to consider the busses as a supplement to your rental car when you just don't feel like driving.

We will have a car primarily to pick up food for the DVC part of our trip.

I am stil unclear if there is a small fridge in all of the W A suites or not?

WDWKook and Friends,

Back from our 14 nights at WAO and am finding feet again at work, etc. :surfweb:Needs to be done in order to pay for the next holiday!

Was hoping to get time to do epic trip report tomorrow but I see that due to TA reports and some other feedback, doubts are creeping into minds here of future travellers - so emergency feedback called for which hopefully will address what I see as major concerns on here.

Photos of the hotel have been captured well by jacqu3lin3.

Facade of hotel - as you approach, it all looks big! I wasn't sure about the sky blue colour scheme and still am not - hubby and daughter liked it. As you enter main drive of hotel, agree with other review somewhere that drive past garage of self park is not attractive. However, WAO entrance itself OK - they are working on 2 topiary gardens which will brighten up area as you approach. While we were there, they were working on wroughtwork on the outer doors which made it more swanky.

Location - thought this couldn't really have been better for us. When you come onto Buena Vista Drive from the Bonnet Creek road from the hotel (1 min drive), I4 easy access immediately on your next right. Typhoon Lagoon, one set of lights away, Boardwalk c. 2 sets of lights, turn off to MK, etc all very handy.

Valets/bell hops - couldn't have been nicer to us. Rush to open doors, chat, offer advice and lets's face it, if they do happen to miss a door once or twice, no big deal surely? :confused3 Valet is $20 per day - you can self park but you won't! Caddies are available to take you to self park or to the Hilton.

Bus - never used it but would have if daughter had been amenable. Object to the $14 charge for Disney parking, could have saved that. Bus looked very swish and empty - valets were pushing the bus service.

Lobby and public areas - these were truly classy and fabulous. I feel that some reviewers may have been expecting something more "obvious" - however, perusal over the prolonged period we were there showed the tasteful and elegant decor more and more. E.g a walk along the really huge conference facility corridor between both hotels - the carpeting, curtains and lighting in these areas alone were really spectacular. It's quality not quantity and ostentatiousness that counts here - the WOW factor is in the overall atmosphere and discrete quality. There was only one huge painting which I thought was ghastly and not at all tasteful - but hey, probably the most expensive piece there, what do I know?:laughing: Walk to Hilton definitely seems longer going outside in the heat as opposed to inside via the conference centre.

Room - well, I was there for 2 weeks and am still not 100% sure of the definition of the room I was staying in:confused3. Long story, but if you remember, I had booked with relatively unknown website that I had not used before - booked and paid for a "suite" as opposed to a room on their website. I believed that would come with lounge/kitchen area with sofa bed, separate bedroom with king bed (as per WAO website) - which I think is reasonable enough conclusion. Phoned hotel 2 days before travel to confirm website hadn't run off with my cash - yep, they had my name - hurrah - but hotel had me down as deluxe 2 queens (which I thought was 2 queens in one bedroom only). Multiple phone calls/emails to website later and another call to the hotel reservations and then eventually the helpful Whitney on front desk. Website insisted yes, suite was booked, WAO said deluxe room but with reservations admitting there might have been some confusion with categorisation of rooms at their end. Travelled for 20 hours, not quite sure what would happen on arrival (had left it in Whitney's hands). She was there to meet us at late check-in - assured me room was beautiful and indeed it was - separate room with lounge area/kitchen and separate bedroom with 2 queens. No balcony - I think only 60 rooms in the hotel have balcony, half being central, other half at the end of one block. I still am not sure where the problem was, Whitney believes she upgraded us - it may well have been the website I used just not booking a "suite" but a room, but for some reason, I am not sure - I do think that the Waldorf itself has some issues with their room classification/reservations - they need to simplify so there can be no room for confusion which causes aggro at the start of the holiday.
Our room itself was lovely - corner unit,12th floor out of 14. In lounge we had 2 picture windows - one onlooking DTD, distant Contemporary and Bay Towers - Epcot ball blocked out Cinderella Castle. Other window had AK, Epcot, MGm - great view of Epcot fireworks. Bedroom, full picture window of pool, golf course and AK, Epcot, MGM. Kitchen area had sink and fridge - coffee maker not to be seen - believe on its way. Had dining table and 4 chairs which we never sat in! Water arrived after first couple of days. DVD player and some kind of high tech sound system in lounge.
Bedding in 2 queens beds ranked with the best - superb quality and comfort. 2 nice bathrobes and best hotel slippers ever! Slightly ashamed to confess that slippers went in luggage home - don't think that makes me bad person - after all, they cannot be re-used? :rolleyes1. Storage facilities adequate as there were several drawers in the lounge area. Ipod docking station with alarm clock in bedroom (did not seem to accomodate Iphone).
Bathroom - lovely. Yes, might have been nice to have 2 sinks but there was only the one. Toiletries were Agraria (not familiar with those). Copious towels and facecloths which were of highest standard. I thought was spacious enough.
Separate AC in bedroom and lounge area.
Newspapers delivered every day (USA Today and WSJ).
Not sure what some people expect from a hotel room nowadays - I thought lovely.
Finishing of all rooms and fixtures and fittings was of a very high quality.

Spa - schedule only allowed for visit to request a price list (so I could feedback to you guys). Reception area deluxe and fabulous - price list to match!! :rolleyes: Manicure $50, pedicure the same - then you are up to well over $100's. Will update tomorrow as cannot remember everything.

Pool - hubby enjoyed this every day (I was theme parking mostly). As expert on sun loungers around the world, he declared them top notch! Don't know how to describe them, but no padding, just kind of nylon-y material (though know that is not right terminology, you know what I mean). At all times we were by the pool, we were offered drinks, food. Hubby had water brought without request each day to his lounger. He ate several times by the pool and enjoyed his club sandwiches, etc. The menu changed in the 2 weeks we were there. Pool/bar staff all nice and helpful.

Gym - meant to use :rotfl2: Hubby went in for chat with staff - equipment looked fine. I would not think size would be a problem as there appeared to be more than enough gear to go round.

Dining - hmmm.
Ate breakfast both at WAO and HBC. First few days at WAO Oscars for breakfast were definitely the "lowest" aspect of our stay (however, read on with perspective) - food was fine but they were still finding their feet with the service, e.g. they would bring toast but no butter, jam; hot food with no condiments; hot tea with no milk - you get the picture. You just had to ask though and it was brought. It was obviously teething issues which they recognised and by middle of week 2, no problem at all. I did have to laugh though as manager introduced himself on c. day 3 and asked how we were enjoying restaurant - when I responded "there are a few things we have had to ask for", I hoped for "oh, what have those been madam?" (so he could have gleaned info on what to improve) not "oh that's fine!". On our second weekend, they did a hot and cold buffet which I enjoyed - largely the same as the HBC one I had eaten the previous weekend but $5 more expensive which I thought was a bit cheeky. You can ask for items off the menu if you wish which a number of people did during the week. $17-18 for 2 eggs with bacon or sausage; $12 for omlette.
Apparently you could eat at Oscar's for lunch but I never saw anyone doing so.
Pool bar food, I have mentioned before. Normal 5 star prices.
You can also order food from Oscar's and Bull and Bear (probably pool bar also) and eat in Peacock Alley seating areas.
Bull and Bear Steakhouse - ate there once (hubby twice). Thoroughly enjoyed our meals - staff were extremely attentive and well mannered. Would return back. Cheapest steak I believe $36.
La Luce - Italian at the Hilton. Was being touted by all staff. We went and as a family gave it 7/10. Starters were fine (and no more than that). Main courses - hubby had pizza which he declared best he had ever eaten, daughter pasta which was good, I had pork chop which was undercooked in areas. As have stomach of iron, ate around and not a problem, these things happen. Pointed out when waiter collected plate, that "pinker than I liked" - absolutely no response back. We generally didn't feel it was worth the hype but perhaps we just made wrong choices.

Room service - as others have mentioned, no menu in our room initially - though this appeared beginning of week 2 without us asking. Extensive menu choice. We did not use it - though if we had, like all hotels all over the world, we would have expected to wait for it - that's the way of it!

Bars - Sir's Harry Bar not yet open though complete - very gentleman's club like. Peacock Alley lobby area bar had lovely staff and was main venue for drink or coffee - carpet might have got a bit scary after too many drinks! 2 tv screens that were placed too high for bar viewing ( my gripe!). Also bar in Bull and Bear you can sit at with tv and have food. We looked at Hilton lobby bar and their trendy bar. Seemed fine.

Golf - husband and 2 friends played round. Absolutely loved it - got very reasonably deal and loved the course. Even enjoyed the alligator on the course!!! :scared1: Clubhouse was beautifully laid out. Sorry - did not check out bar and food options there. First tee is stone's throw from the pool.

Shopping - Waldorf shop may as well not be there IMHO. Selling some very nice clothes, handbags, candles and exclusive toiletries with a few Waldorf tee-shirts/polo shirts. Not a newspaper or sweet to be seen. Never say anyone in it the fortnight I was there. Hilton shop on the other hand, stocked all hotel necessities - sweets, chocolates, mags, newspapers, general medicines, crackers, etc, etc. That suits me much better and I can't believe I am in the minority. However, I would not expect staff to get stuff from HBC for me like a review I saw.

Staff - all excellent. My other favourite hotel in Orlando is known for fabby customer service - this hotel was no different. We are not "fussy" guests at all - I am quite capable of doing a good deal for myself, even when on holiday so perhaps our expectations are lower than some others. I appreciate staff are generally trying to do their best and I also believe that when a hotel opens (even a 5 star one) there will inevitably be some confusion/ missing items/ lack of knowledge. That's why there are reasonably priced deals or you will get comped if there really is a significant service issue.
It's glass half full/half empty mentality I think in terms of the service feedback to date. I was generally charmed by the staff and felt if I really needed something, they would help me.
Worth particular mention (though they were all very nice) - Casey, Jack and Stephanie in Peacock Alley bar, Oskar in Oscar's and Whitney at Front Desk.

Pet Policy - being from UK, was somewhat surprised when we saw dogs at hotels (not that usual in our country). Even more surprised when we saw pooch in our corridor in its own baby stroller! Not sure I would like to be in a room where a pet had been previously. Having said that, no issues with barking, poo, etc.

Smoking - much contrition etc, but hubby and I smoke. We completely understand and accept that hotels are non-smoking (though apparently you can smoke in WAO if you have a balcony room). However, Ibelieve that they need to improve ashtray locations outside to accomodate those of us that continue to do so where it does not impact others. At WAO, smoking bench outside of pool area with ashtray - that was fine. Ashtray near tables in pool restaurant - silly positioning but had been moved slightly by end of our holiday to away from tables. Ashtray at front outdoor valet parking area. Few ashtrays positioned outside along the conference area but not within easy walking of main walkway. By end of holiday, couple of portable ashtrays had appeared in pool area and the seating area outside Peacock Alley bar had provided dishes. Has to be sorted out as people will smoke outside and sadly if there are no ashtrays to hand, some litterbugs will just put out their butts on the ground wherever they are - not us, I hasten to add.

Overall - we really loved the relaxed, restful atmosphere of this hotel. Any teething problems could be readily resolved if they were of sufficient need to warrant comment. The staff and grounds were lovely - there may be more wowee pool areas somewhere else but I think you would struggle to complain about the overall package at the moment. We would absolutely love to go back and it would certainly be our hotel of choice in Orlando, money permitting. I don't think those of you who have been deluxe Disney resort visitors could be disappointed in this hotel if you stay in a positive frame of mind and enjoy.

Sure I will have forgotten something so please ask for any info I have missed.

Mechteach - you must have been there same time as me?

Regards
Twinsaunt

Bravo, twinsaunt !

:thanks: for your wonderfully thorough and entertaining WA TR. I am very impressed with all the ground you covered. We shall all have to defer to you with our myriad questions as you are the preeminent WA authority!

Your review is invaluable and will help so many DISers who are not certain what to expect from such a new hotel that has, thus far, received generally mixed reviews. So glad that you and your family had a pleasant trip, especially since you had travelled great lengths.

:)Thanks so much for enlightening us all!

14 days at the WA??:worship: We only have 4 nights as we are combining it with a stay in a Jambo villa. I could not pass up the opening special and I know the area is good since we stayed at the Wyndham bonnet creek back in May.

How would you ever go back to reality after 14 nights?

Thanks for the extremely helpful report. I especially appreciate your comment about it being your hotel of choice, money permitting.

Also appealing is the relaxed atmosphere description. I just don't need noise and bedlam anymore.

So you say there are golf carts to take you to self park or over to the Hilton (I want to try the lazy river). Did you try the lazy river and did you walk through the hotel or take the cart over?

Thanks for thanks WDWKook. Wanted to put minds at ease somewhat - I cannot believe people would be disappointed with WAO but of course, expectations vary.

Snappy - agree that there comes a point in one's life when the constant background noise of children at WDW hotels (whether in happy moods or not) loses it appeal - the peace and tranquility offered by WAO, you will love.

We did not use the lazy river or water slide at HBC but inspected the pool area there - it all looks very good fun though water slide is not huge. Cannot expand further on force of lazy river etc as did not witness anyone using it when I was there. My only criticism is that when we visited there were no sun umbrellas at all round the pool area at HBC (there were at the Waldorf) - I cannot believe they would not have this in place so I assumed they were waiting for delivery of parasols.

The walk from the WAO to HBC would take I reckon 2-3 minutes going through the internal conference centre and a minute or 2 longer walking outside from pool to pool along the side of the lake/golf course. Yes, you can get the valets to take you on the caddy - probably about less than 2 mins.

Have forgotten to bring spa list with me - perhaps tomorrow.........

Regards

I posted a link on the first page to the WA review by twinsaunt and shuttle bus observations by Beach710:)

Here is the most recent TripAdvisor WA review with 7 pictures (cherie40). Twinsaunt's review follows:thumbsup2

Special Offer from Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek:
$99 -- Newly Opened Orlando 4-Star Resort w/Upgrade*

Last Update: 11/3/2009, 1:09 PM ET

Travel dates: Select dates through Dec. 23

By Matthew Rehm
Travelzoo Staff

Watch Disney's nightly fireworks display from an upgraded room at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek, which just opened Oct. 1. This new hotel, surrounded on three sides by the Walt Disney World Resort, offers a $99 per night offer for select dates through December.

The deal includes a free upgrade to a Disney View room, and kids eat free breakfast and dinner at the Harvest Bistro restaurant with each adult entree purchased. Stay within the following periods to receive this offer:

Nov. 6-7, 22-25
Dec. 4-6, 18-23

The resort is located half a mile from Epcot, a mile from Magic Kingdom and 1.5 miles from Downtown Disney. It offers free direct transportation to and from the Disney parks.

Amenities include an on-site kids club with supervised indoor and outdoor activities, a pool with a waterslide, and 12 restaurants and bars. Guests also enjoy access to the adjoining 5-star Waldorf Astoria Orlando’s amenities. These include a pool with cabanas, an 18-hole golf course, and a full-service spa and fitness center.

To Book: Click here to book online. Book by Nov. 13.

They (finally) have activated links on the spa page for the WA.

Here is the menu which is on the spa info. page. To view the options/prices click-on the "Select a Service" drop-down menu and the treatments will display by type. A 60 minute massage or facial starts at $180.

We decided to cancel our December trip :sad1: But I will continue to enjoy reading all the WA reviews for future planning.

Does anyone Know if they a participant in the Hilton Grand Vacations program?:confused3We are DVC owners and have friends that would like to come down for the same holiday as us,and be able to stay close to WDW.

Does anyone Know if they a participant in the Hilton Grand Vacations program?:confused3We are DVC owners and have friends that would like to come down for the same holiday as us,and be able to stay close to WDW.
According to the Hilton Grand Vacations website, there are three participating hotels in Orlando, however, the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek isn't in the list.

I have made a custom Perl cgi directory lister. When a visitor selects index.html it calls lister.cgi, the lister then provides a custom directory listing. My problem is that each time the cgi program is called, it does not pass the last page visited info to the custom page. The user can not use the back button which is a real annoyance

I can capture the last page visited using the environment variable HTTP_referrer, but how do I pass that information to the page created by the cgi program?

Thanks for the help, JZ
:eek:

Ummm... Definitely can't help you with that one.

This is just a guess, but I think you may have posted to the wrong thread:rolleyes1. But, I'm certain some DISer will help you - good luck!

Here is a new package from the WA site. The HBC site doesn't show this package on their site.

Winter Escape Package

Escape with the ones you love during this Holiday Season with our Winter Escape Package. Receive daily breakfast for two plus $50 resort credit for every second night stayed ($50 for 2-3 nights, $100 for 4-5 nights, up to $200). Rates start @ $229.

We were looking at booking the week after Christmas on short notice and could not believe the outrageous prices Disney is charging. :confused3 On a whim, I checked the Hilton site and noticed their nightly rates are 75% cheaper than the Disney hotels. It sounds like a no brainer, but I actually am a little frustrated that Disney has the audacity to inflate their prices to NYC hotel levels just because they can. I did notice every Disney deluxe resort is available. $500 bucks per night for Animal Kingdom Lodge though? Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

If they can fill at those prices, more power to them.

We'll see if they can do it. I've read of at least one PIN code offer for the Christmas/New Years week---those don't happen very often.

We were looking at booking the week after Christmas on short notice and could not believe the outrageous prices Disney is charging. :confused3 On a whim, I checked the Hilton site and noticed their nightly rates are 75% cheaper than the Disney hotels. It sounds like a no brainer, but I actually am a little frustrated that Disney has the audacity to inflate their prices to NYC hotel levels just because they can. I did notice every Disney deluxe resort is available. $500 bucks per night for Animal Kingdom Lodge though? Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

If they can fill at those prices, more power to them.

We'll see if they can do it. I've read of at least one PIN code offer for the Christmas/New Years week---those don't happen very often.

You're right, I've heard about those elusive Christmas codes. I've received two -40% room-only codes in the past couple of weeks via e-mail for most of '10 and WDW has extended the expiration of the -40% room-only for military/retirees from 12/23 to 12/31, hmm...:scratchin

With the onsite resorts, WDW is charging a premium for location, theming and transportation. Don't forget to visit the Codes and Rates thread to help cut that premium down;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter