The WALDORF ASTORIA ORLANDO and HILTON BONNET CREEK Information Thread

Wife of a castmember and we can't wait to try it.

I have had the pleasure of staying at a luxury resort - this will be the first time for my DH. DH is going to be BLOWN AWAY with the service, lush grounds, beautiful rooms.

We are WDW and DL veterans - probably over 100 visits between us (met only 4 years ago so we were traveling solo for years).

Can't Wait!

:wave2:OP here again.

We've booked the Waldorf Astoria for the week of Christmas, and I have some more information about the resort from a WA reservations staff member:

Just curious ... was the pool complex ready, or was that concept art for development down the line? Also, do you know if the golf complex is ready for play too?

We have lots of Hilton points, and that Hilton will be the same point value as the Downtown Disney location. We tried onsite last trip (Poly) and was not impressed with Disney's "deluxe" accomodations.

I'm just curious if everything will be ready for opening, or whether the "amenities" will be developed over time.

Make sure to give us a report! :)

Wife of a castmember and we can't wait to try it.

I have had the pleasure of staying at a luxury resort - this will be the first time for my DH. DH is going to be BLOWN AWAY with the service, lush grounds, beautiful rooms.

We are WDW and DL veterans - probably over 100 visits between us (met only 4 years ago so we were traveling solo for years).

Can't Wait!
We can't wait either. Do you know yet when you're going to be there? So far on this thread we have DISers staying November-January.

How can WDW compete with the addition of these hotels and the Four Seasons in 2012? I mention above the cost comparison with the WL. Yes, I know the theming isn't the same, but frankly, after our last 10 visits staying on-property, we're ready for a hotel with higher and more consistent standards of customer service and cleanliness, and at a lower rate than any deluxe (rack rate to rack rate).

WDW will either have to drastically lower resort prices or drastically improve the resorts' cleanliness and customer service - both sure would be nice because I still love the CR, but I might never want to go back after staying at the WA.

Just curious ... was the pool complex ready, or was that concept art for development down the line? Also, do you know if the golf complex is ready for play too?

We have lots of Hilton points, and that Hilton will be the same point value as the Downtown Disney location. We tried onsite last trip (Poly) and was not impressed with Disney's "deluxe" accomodations.

I'm just curious if everything will be ready for opening, or whether the "amenities" will be developed over time.

Make sure to give us a report! :)
I'm going to defer to the WA reservation/questions line since our reservation is for December. I did verify that the WDW shuttles would be ready on opening day.

Here is the toll-free number:

1-888-353-2009.

I see that you are from Ontario. If you can't call the toll-free number, let me know and I will call them for you and post all the answers to your questions later tonight.

I agree with your assessment of the Poly. We have stayed twice and one visit the room was just filthy. If you look at the AllEars reviews of the Poly, they are generally consistently negative of the housekeeping.

I will definitely post a very honest WA/TR in January.

Beginning on opening day (October 1st) the WA will provide their own dedicated shuttle to WDW (and those "other" Orlando attractions). The shuttle will run every 15-30 minutes to/from WDW's TTC. It will not stop at any other resorts. (I didn't ask if the shuttle would be shared with the Hilton next door.) There will also be a Disney bus that will transport WA guests to/from WDW, however, it will stop at other resorts and therefore, will not go directly to/from the WA and WDW. I don't know what the Disney shuttle's schedule will be or if it only travels to the TTC.
I'm going to guess that the other bus won't be a Disney bus, but rather will tag along with the bus routes that service the Wyndham Bonnet Creek just across the street. Right now, those buses serve only the Wyndham complex, but it would make sense to include the Hilton and W=A as well.

WDWKOOK said:
PRICING:

The room we booked at the WA is a 950 sq. ft. Deluxe 1-bedroom suite (yes, with a door;)), here is the link:

http://waldorfastoriaorlando.com/resort/rooms/deluxesuite/

As a comparison, the room-only rate for the WA suite is less than a standard room at the WL for the same time period! And, the rate we booked includes a $50/day resort credit. They will also extend a military discount (active or retired/not on orders) if you call them. However, that discount couldn't be combined with the $50/day resort credit. When I looked at the WA rates for April and August of 2010, they were $50-$90/day higher than '09 rates. When I asked about this, she suspected that the '09 rates might be "introductory" rates and may fluctuate in the future depending on market conditions. She said that normally Christmas would be high season, and also January 1st - April 30th (for WA/Hilton).

Here are some other related links:

http://waldorfastoriaorlando.com/resort/amenities/

http://www.bonnetcreekmedia.com/index.html

http://hiltonbonnetcreek.com/hotel

Wanted to add they also have AAA rates also for this hotel, and from the research I have had between pretty much standard rooms

DECEMBER 2 TO DECEMBER 12 2009 (INCLUDES TAXES)
Waldorf Astoria (AAA Discount) = $2317.50
Disney's Beach Club or Yacht Club = $4613.00
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge = $2700.00
Disney's Polynesian Resort = $3994.00

NOTE: The Disney resorts do not include the AAA discount as I couldn't retrieve them online, but typically they are like 10%-20%...

The Waldorf Astoria will definitely blow away any of the deluxe Disney resorts, that is if they keep their typical quality and service they have in other locations. Similar to others, I cannot wait for The Four Seasons to open up as I have stayed at other Four Seasons before, and the quality and service I received completely blows away Disney's service. I have stayed at many of the Deluxe resorts, and still The Four Seasons has been my best hotel I have stayed at.

From a previous poster, I would probably say that most people who will stay at these hotels will be (1) Business People since many people who have stayed at Dolphin/Swan don't like it because its too business oriented and not enough Disney themed oriented (2) Sort of inline with the first but I would think more adults would stay here to get away from the more Kiddie resorts disney has, probably for more of the quiteness they would get (3) People who have been disappointed with the deluxe versions Disney Hotels have, especially with their cost associated to their deluxes compared to the cost at these other Deluxe hotels. Hopefully, The WA and FS will both have their standard quality and service they have at other locations, and if so Disney Deluxes better pick it up...I would definitely consider either of these hotels for the next stay...

I'm going to guess that the other bus won't be a Disney bus, but rather will tag along with the bus routes that service the Wyndham Bonnet Creek just across the street. Right now, those buses serve only the Wyndham complex, but it would make sense to include the Hilton and W=A as well.
Who runs the WBC bus? I've never stayed off-site before so I'm not familiar with off-site transportation and what a "Disney bus" off-site really means:confused3.

The WA rep. told me specifically that there would be two means of transportation to WDW available to guests beginning on October 1st: a WA-TTC shuttle that would not make any other stops and a "Disney bus" that would make stops at other Disney resorts.

Wanted to add they also have AAA rates also for this hotel, and from the research I have had between pretty much standard rooms

DECEMBER 2 TO DECEMBER 12 2009 (INCLUDES TAXES)
Waldorf Astoria (AAA Discount) = $2317.50
Disney's Beach Club or Yacht Club = $4613.00
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge = $2700.00
Disney's Polynesian Resort = $3994.00

NOTE: The Disney resorts do not include the AAA discount as I couldn't retrieve them online, but typically they are like 10%-20%...

The Waldorf Astoria will definitely blow away any of the deluxe Disney resorts, that is if they keep their typical quality and service they have in other locations. Similar to others, I cannot wait for The Four Seasons to open up as I have stayed at other Four Seasons before, and the quality and service I received completely blows away Disney's service. I have stayed at many of the Deluxe resorts, and still The Four Seasons has been my best hotel I have stayed at.

From a previous poster, I would probably say that most people who will stay at these hotels will be (1) Business People since many people who have stayed at Dolphin/Swan don't like it because its too business oriented and not enough Disney themed oriented (2) Sort of inline with the first but I would think more adults would stay here to get away from the more Kiddie resorts disney has, probably for more of the quiteness they would get (3) People who have been disappointed with the deluxe versions Disney Hotels have, especially with their cost associated to their deluxes compared to the cost at these other Deluxe hotels. Hopefully, The WA and FS will both have their standard quality and service they have at other locations, and if so Disney Deluxes better pick it up...I would definitely consider either of these hotels for the next stay...
It's an especially glaring difference at holidays when WDW doesn't offer any promos. We would have been considered lucky by many to be able to get 20% off rack rate because I know that when SOG is fully booked, you can get their overflow rate (20% off) at a WDW resort;). But, even with that discount (or AAA's) they can't compete because the levels of service, dining, housekeeping, room size and amenities are incomparable.

As I mentioned, we've stayed on-property (mostly Deluxes) our last 10 trips, and we have, unfortunately witnessed a steady and precipitous decline in them. And, instead of WDW building new and better hotels, they only build more DVC. When was the last time WDW built a non-DVC resort? Was it CSR or AKL over 12+ years ago? What is their long-term resort objective? Only time-share for immediate revenue generation? Someone please explain what has happened to Disney Resorts and what their long-term goals are:sad2:.

Thanks for the preliminary info about the transportation! It will be interesting to see if they can work out anything with EMH as well....

One of the posters here had a typical deluxe stay at BLT-that is to say not fabulous. The price for a 2bd suite at the WA is about the same as the 1 bd BLT.

I stayed 10 days at BLT, and I had a great stay. However, what you are comparing is apples to oranges. A timeshare resort (whether Disney, Hilton, Marriott, whatever) is not going to have the same type or level of service as a premium deluxe hotel. It's all about the expectations. I would not call BLT a deluxe resort - it's a timeshare resort. I went into my stay knowing it was a timeshare resort, and I felt that compared to other timeshare resorts, the service, accommodations and amenities were excellent. However, if/when I book the WA, my expectations will be much higher, and they will have to do much more for me to say I had a great stay.

I'm not saying that Disney doesn't have some work to do as far as their deluxe resorts go. They are going to have to step up to the plate to compete with these new neighbors. They aren't going to be able to get by with run down rooms, slap dash housekeeping, and uninformed CM's, as some people have experienced. If they don't get their act together, they will really suffer by comparison.

I didn't call to see what the rate will be, but the Waldorf Astoria is on the Orlando info.com deals page...with a buy two get one free deal. You have to call, you can't link through.

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/falldeals/listings.cfm?searchcategory=1
Thanks for posting the link.

The 407 number is not being manned yet. It refers callers to this number which I have used:

888-353-2009

On the reservation section of their website, they don't show the deal you found which includes free golf and kids eating free. They only show this:

Rate Type:
GREAT BEGINNINGS
STAY 3 NIGHTS, AND 4TH IS FREE (FREE NIGHT WILL BE DEDUCTED AT CHECK-OUT)

It's certainly worth calling them to see what deals they'll offer. They're new so they need to attract customers;)

Thanks for the preliminary info about the transportation! It will be interesting to see if they can work out anything with EMH as well....
You're welcome. It didn't occur to me to ask them about EMH because we're going at Christmas so we want to avoid EMH like the plague since those parks fill-up first.

I, too, think this may be something of a wake-up call for Disney. However, there aren't enough rooms at W-A to hold every disaffected Disney deluxe patron!

As for BLT being a "timeshare" resort. Well, yes, okay, I get that. But, we don't own DVC. We stay cash when we stay at the DVC resorts. We stay for the space and amenities of the one-bedroom villas. And, we pay upwards of $500/night for the privilege!

I have to say the suite WDWKook booked is mighty, mighty tempting. We have two weeks on a cash reservation coming up in a one-bedroom BLT, and I'm rethinking! Although, of course, we must all keep in mind that the W-A rates are introductory and are likely to rise, probably dramatically, in the future.

But, to have wonderful service for a price that is comparable to, or even a bit less than, a Disney deluxe -- that would be a treat! Our experiences recently at the Disney deluxes -- and this includes GF RPC and BWI Innkeepers Club -- have been, frankly, disappointing -- with an overall feeling at those most deluxe of deluxe Disney places that management's main goal is to save money.

As for why Disney keeps building DVC properties, I have assumed it's because those properties are so overwhelmingly profitable (much more profitable than running a hotel apparently).

However, there aren't enough rooms at W-A to hold every disaffected Disney deluxe patron!
:lmao::rotfl2:

I have to say the suite WDWKook booked is mighty, mighty tempting. We have two weeks on a cash reservation coming up in a one-bedroom BLT, and I'm rethinking! Although, of course, we must all keep in mind that the W-A rates are introductory and are likely to rise, probably dramatically, in the future.

When I spoke with the WAO "CM" I asked her about the rates for Christmas showing online as being less ($50-$90/nt) than April and August of '10. She thought that this years' holiday rate might be lower to attract guests, but she wasn't sure.

WDW raises their resort rates every year, so I wouldn't be surprised if other hotels do the same. That might be why the '10 rates are a little higher, just as WDW's '10 rates are higher than '09.

With Orlando's economy in a slump, I'll bet that WAO and HBC rates will remain very competitive (read: lower than WDW Deluxes) next year. I think they will continue to offer promotions such as the one we are receiving for Christmas of a $50/day resort credit or the Fall Special of "buy 2 nts. get 1 free + kids eat free + free golf (from blissventure), etc...

Let us know if you switch. We had tentatively also planned on BLT for Christmas, but it was unavailable to us using the SOG overflow rate.

Who runs the WBC bus? I've never stayed off-site before so I'm not familiar with off-site transportation and what a "Disney bus" off-site really means.
The contractor is Maingate Transportation, but it is complimentary for all guests---it's paid for out of Bonnet Creek's operating budget (so, the owners pay as part of their annual dues.)

What a "Disney bus" off-site really means is: you want a rental car. ;)

More seriously---the bus routes from Bonnet Creek aren't bad, but they are not as good as Disney's internal transportation. The run approximately every half-hour, with a break mid-day. There are several routes: one to MK and EP (shared destination) and one to AK and DS. There is an evening route to DTD. I don't recall if the water parks are served directly or not.

We love staying here, the resort is very well-appointed, and the location is excellent. But, we'd never do it without a car. Truth be told, we don't stay onsite without a car either unless we're on a "bonus budget" trip, and we've only done that once.

The WA rep. told me specifically that there would be two means of transportation to WDW available to guests beginning on October 1st: a WA-TTC shuttle that would not make any other stops and a "Disney bus" that would make stops at other Disney resorts
It is possible that the rep mis-quoted something or doesn't understand. Plus, a "Disney bus" could be a bus going to Disney, or a bus owned by Disney. But, this parcel has been a thorn in Disney's side since long before development started on it, and the players have not always gotten along. The parcel is not part of RCID, and not owned or managed by Disney in any way, so Disney gets zero revenue from it at all. But, the fact that it is land-locked by WDW property and I-4 pretty much means it "looks like" it is on property, even though it isn't. I doubt very much that Disney is going to grant perks to the resorts here that make those resorts even more "Disney like" no matter the price.

It will be interesting to see if they can work out anything with EMH as well....
I doubt it, for the same reason. But, you never know.

What a "Disney bus" off-site really means is: you want a rental car. ;)

Luckily, we have our own car and APs for free parking, and the option of the WA shuttle direct to the TTC, if needed.

I appreciate your explaining how the "off-site" transportation works. You're right about BC being a thorn in Disney's side. They have wanted to purchase that parcel of 500 acres forever, and never could. I, too would think there'd be some animosity between the two parties, as opposed to the Four Seasons which bought the land from Disney;). Of course, the hotels in BC do help generate revenue for WDW by guests going to the WDW parks, dining, etc...

I think I'm going to give the WA a call today to follow-up/clarify some things which have come-up which might help all of us.

I appreciate your explaining how the "off-site" transportation works.
The other thing to remember is that every hotel's situation is a little different, so it's possible that WA has some unique arrangement.

Thanks for the additional information WDWKook and Brian. We always rent a car, too, even on property (can't stand the bus). So, W-A is really a possibility!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter