The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

How far apart are the UY’s?
If more than one month, would I make a difference if closer or farther?
There's six months difference between them. Intention was a DL week early in the year and 3 weeks in WDW/DCL at the end of the year with VGC to break it up for 2 nights on the way home. If airfares go down we may resume this plan. So far, I've booked 5 nights at Hong Kong Disneyland on cash for that early week instead.

I'm going to divulge a cardinal sin: I'm thinking about using some VGC points as SAP to do Aulani next year alongside WDW and DL.
1000007868.gif

I'm going to divulge a cardinal sin: I'm thinking about using some VGC points as SAP to do Aulani next year alongside WDW and DL.
I could see 6 months definitely being more of a hassle.

VGC for Aulani isn’t the end of the world, at least you’re not using them for a cruise or something. Have you checked in what you could rent them out for and just rent Aulani points? (I think DVCRM might do a swap or David’s)

Anyway...I'm just bored and rambling and dreaming of all future vacations since there's a blizzard on it's way to us with wind chills of 45 degrees BELOW zero. :-)

Yup, we’re in Omaha and not looking forward to the high temp in the negatives. Perfect weekend to catch up on the boards and plan our next VGC trip on December. We would love to get xx06 on a higher floor. Any tips on what to tell MS place in room requests? First time staying on our points.

What is your home resort?
I’m going in a couple weeks too, but starting with a couple nights at AKV, then a few nights at BWV, then finishing with 5 nights at my home resort (for now), but I’m not even thinking about where “home” is, because I assume I’m always going to do split stays at 2 or 3 different resorts on every trip (depending how long the trip), but since it’s a long way for me, I can’t see doing any trip to WDW that would be less than 7 nights at minimum (which would be a 2 resort stay), but more likely 10-11 day trips.
I’m thinking I’ll sell my BRV contract when I get back then start looking for an SAP+ contract (assuming I love WDW) most likely CCV or Poly (possibly SSR).
Anyway now I’m rambling too. lol

Back on topic, I’m excited for the newly renovated BRV as well.!! Along with everything at WDW in general, and VGC in December, I just locked in 4 nights in 2 bdrm. I’m like you, we usually stay off property, so it’s gonna be great!!

By the way, there are a couple small VGC contracts out there right now. ;)

VGC. We just got our contract in March but haven't used it yet. We have BRV booked for 6 nights this month. And then VGC booked for 6 nights in June.

You said "assuming I love WDW"....have you got been to WDW before? I went 3 times as a kid. Then as an adult with my husband in 2008, 2010, and 2012. But it's our 10 year old son's first trip. He loves Disneyland so hopefully he loves WDW too.

Well, Wilderness Lodge is also a Peter Dominick hotel (as is VGC and AKL), so it’s almost like being home?

Very true! It's the only Deluxe WDW resort I've ever actually been to, in person. Back in 2010 or 2012, we took the boat from MK to WL just to wander around because we knew it was similar to the Grand Californian. So I'm pretty excited to finally stay there. Never thought we'd be able to since we aren't Deluxe hotel kind of people, ha!

Yup, we’re in Omaha and not looking forward to the high temp in the negatives. Perfect weekend to catch up on the boards and plan our next VGC trip on December. We would love to get xx06 on a higher floor. Any tips on what to tell MS place in room requests? First time staying on our points.

Omaha suburb here! Hi, neighbor! My son's 3rd snow day this week. I definitely plan to do some trip planning. Especially for our June trip since we're driving out to CA for it. I can't really answer your question since we haven't stayed on our points either but I bet others here will! I need to figure out if I even put any in for our trip. I think I did but not sure. I'm just going to ask for pool-side, I think.
Hey, if you use your VGC points for other resorts, you open up a little availability for other-home-resort DVC owners to stay at VGC! It's a good deed!

Just call me Mother Teresa then because we'll likely use our VGC every few years for a WDW trip. :laughing:

What's happening at Disneyland on November 20th that the 1 bedrooms would already be booked? I put in a waitlist request, but I'm wondering if I even want to be there that day! :scared:

Also, this was our view from the living room in the 1 bedroom 4502. It was the best we've had in a long time because there's a good space between the trees there.

Attachments

• 20231217_212438.jpg
    20231217_212438.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 6
VGC. We just got our contract in March but haven't used it yet. We have BRV booked for 6 nights this month. And then VGC booked for 6 nights in June.

You said "assuming I love WDW"....have you got been to WDW before? I went 3 times as a kid. Then as an adult with my husband in 2008, 2010, and 2012. But it's our 10 year old son's first trip. He loves Disneyland so hopefully he loves WDW too.

Very true! It's the only Deluxe WDW resort I've ever actually been to, in person. Back in 2010 or 2012, we took the boat from MK to WL just to wander around because we knew it was similar to the Grand Californian. So I'm pretty excited to finally stay there. Never thought we'd be able to since we aren't Deluxe hotel kind of people, ha!

Omaha suburb here! Hi, neighbor! My son's 3rd snow day this week. I definitely plan to do some trip planning. Especially for our June trip since we're driving out to CA for it. I can't really answer your question since we haven't stayed on our points either but I bet others here will! I need to figure out if I even put any in for our trip. I think I did but not sure. I'm just going to ask for pool-side, I think.

Just call me Mother Teresa then because we'll likely use our VGC every few years for a WDW trip. :laughing:
I’ll throw out there that if you think you’re going to go to WDW every few years then you might want to pickup some WDW points and use your VGC points to get a 1BD every now and then.

What's happening at Disneyland on November 20th that the 1 bedrooms would already be booked? I put in a waitlist request, but I'm wondering if I even want to be there that day! :scared:

Not sure. Might be because some of the rooms will be undergoing refurbishment so not as many available?

I’ll throw out there that if you think you’re going to go to WDW every few years then you might want to pickup some WDW points and use your VGC points to get a 1BD every now and then.

That will definitely be a possibility if we do think we'll go more often. I'd have to do the math to see how quickly it would pay for itself, essentially.

And really, it all depends on how this month's trip goes. We are just so used to going to DLR. We may decide WDW is a bigger hassle than we like. (Though I'm looking forward to having a direct flight which we don't get when going to DLR!)

And really, it all depends on how this month's trip goes. We are just so used to going to DLR. We may decide WDW is a bigger hassle than we like. (Though I'm looking forward to having a direct flight which we don't get when going to DLR!)
We use our VGC points at WDW. :confused3 It's our only contract and I don't want to mess with renting. We stayed at BRV and AKL in 2020 for the first time and loved them both. Our kids love both WDW and DLR for their differences, especially AK. Took us 3 trips to figure out our WDW touring style though! But it was vastly easier with a 15 and 9 year old last time than when they were 6 and 1! DLR is our favorite for the size though.

Not sure. Might be because some of the rooms will be undergoing refurbishment so not as many available?

That will definitely be a possibility if we do think we'll go more often. I'd have to do the math to see how quickly it would pay for itself, essentially.

FWIW, American appears to fly direct from Omaha to LAX…

FWIW, American appears to fly direct from Omaha to LAX…

Yeah, I always check before trips but it seems like the flight times for direct are always too crappy for us. We're picky. :-) If the times are similar when our son is older, they might be an option. But right now...not so much. I think he'd be a total nightmare if our flight didn't leave until the evening. And we are so slow in the morning, I feel like we'd never make to to LAX for a morning flight. But I do check before every trip when I start my flight search. I hate flying so much though. It gives me terrible anxiety. So I'm glad we're driving this summer! (But I'm already slightly freaking out about next week. Especially after seeing the door fly off that plane this past week!)

I have not been to WDW before... ever, this will be my first time, but I have been to DLR many many times, was AP when I lived in SoCal, so I assume I will like WDW. Honestly I'm looking most forward to AK & Epcot more than anything else. (AK even more than Epcot)

And as others said, using VGC points at WDW is crazy, you spend so much per point for VGC only to spend them on a place that would cost lest than half. Like Astro said, if you plan on going to WDW once every 3 years or more, id invest in another contract, just big enough to cover your trips. My perfect point size seems to be about 60pts, so i can use 3 years worth every trip, (180 points every 3 years)
*edit, Example - A 100pt contract will get you a week in a 2bdrm in WDW every 3 years w/ a Savanna view at AKV*

I noticed a ton of room types are booked on Wednesdays from mid/late Nov all the way thru mid Dec already. Not sure why, but I think it hinders walking reservations. lol

Yes, I will see how often I think I want to travel that far and be "away/off-work", but I cant see how even if only every 3 years, I'm sure it'll be great. :)

Last edited:
I have not been to WDW before... ever, this will be my first time, but I have been to DLR many many times, was AP when I lived in SoCal, so I assume I will like WDW. Honestly I'm looking most forward to AK & Epcot more than anything else. (AK even more than Epcot)

And as others said, using VGC points at WDW is crazy, you spend so much per point for VGC only to spend them on a place that would cost lest than half. Like Astro said, if you plan on going to WDW once every 3 years or more, id invest in another contract, just big enough to cover your trips. My perfect point size seems to be about 60pts, so i can use 3 years worth every trip, (180 points every 3 years)
*edit, Example - A 100pt contract will get you a week in a 2bdrm in WDW every 3 years w/ a Savanna view at AKV*

I noticed a ton of room types are booked on Wednesdays from mid/late Nov all the way thru mid Dec already. Not sure why, but I think it hinders walking reservations. lol

Yes, I will see how often I think I want to travel that far and be "away/off-work", but I cant see how even if only every 3 years, I'm sure it'll be great. :)
World Showcase is amazing if it’s not too crowded with loud people who have had too much to drink. I hope you enjoy the trip!

We enjoyed the experience of WDW, but it made us appreciate the compactness of DL even more. The ability to walk to everything and not have to jump on a bus/boat/monorail/skyliner is very convenient. Also, the lines at WDW…. I have not complained about buying G+ ever since…. we do not like long lines.

If it makes anyone feel better, we used our VGC points to book at Kidani back in June. At that time it was the only points we had. Of course we bought VGF direct before we even managed to check out of Kidani…

World Showcase is amazing if it’s not too crowded with loud people who have had too much to drink. I hope you enjoy the trip!
My first time in Epcot will be extended evening hours so hopefully lines will be at a minimum, but also the next 3 nights at Boardwalk will make it easy to get back & check out the rest with ease. *fingers crossed*

We enjoyed the experience of WDW, but it made us appreciate the compactness of DL even more. The ability to walk to everything and not have to jump on a bus/boat/monorail/skyliner is very convenient. Also, the lines at WDW…. I have not complained about buying G+ ever since…. we do not like long lines.
I'm wondering about which days I may want to try Genie+, I've never used it, but I'm thinking a few times during this trip could be a good time start.

I don't mind using my VGC points at WDW because I don't really look at the actual "value" or whatever of the points. I look at the value TO ME. So to me, if I have the points to use and they aren't taking away from a trip I'd want to take to Disneyland, then it's worth it. Especially if I end up loving the resort.

Though I'm not sure I'd want to use my VGC points at WDW if my only choice was one of the DVC resorts that hold no interest to me though....like OKW or BLT. (Riviera would actually be the very bottom of my list but can't book that with resale anyway.)

My first time in Epcot will be extended evening hours so hopefully lines will be at a minimum, but also the next 3 nights at Boardwalk will make it easy to get back & check out the rest with ease. *fingers crossed*

I'm wondering about which days I may want to try Genie+, I've never used it, but I'm thinking a few times during this trip could be a good time start.
Genie+ seems more worthwhile at WDW. My theory is there are fewer rides per park, so you have a ton of people all vying for the same ones. At DLR, I feel like the crowd is more spread out among more rides, plus the ease of hopping to another park for even more choices.

Genie+ seems more worthwhile at WDW. My theory is there are fewer rides per park, so you have a ton of people all vying for the same ones. At DLR, I feel like the crowd is more spread out among more rides, plus the ease of hopping to another park for even more choices.
Good to know!!
I think I select at least one day dedicated to MK, and DHS and use Genie+ for one day each for the really high priority stuff, and just wing it the rest of the trip... I guess I'll need to figure out how Genie+ works at some point too. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter