The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Looking fir a reservation during Avengers Im waitlisted, any chance you think?

Copying another poster's idea ... Any availability for a 2 bedroom jan 14-20 for Star Wars? Figuring out if I have to be on the hunt for points.

Copying another poster's idea ... Any availability for a 2 bedroom jan 14-20 for Star Wars? Figuring out if I have to be on the hunt for points.

All units, all sizes, are booked for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Sorry.

Staying in a dedicated 2 bedroom for Star Wars weekend. This is our first time in this type of unit as we usually do one bedroom or 2 bdrm lock offs. Looking at nonsuch's fantastic maps, I see there is a dedicated 2 bdrm underneath the Grand Villa facing WOC (3522). Has anybody had this room and if so how was the view? Thinking of adding it to my request list. I will probably request 6500, 5500 and 5506 first but never stayed at that end of the hall. TIA!

I'm sorry if this is covered in another thread but can anyone describe for me the exterior refurb that is going on? In staying at the beginning of November.

I'm sorry if this is covered in another thread but can anyone describe for me the exterior refurb that is going on?
I try to follow VGC and GCH news, and there has not been any official announcements about the refurbishment (other than Napa Rose being closed).
My assumption is this is exterior maintenance and paint, which VGC does not need. The scaffolds are facing Grizzly Rapids and are not visible from VGC.

Hello everyone
I am loving this thread and have already asked a lot of Qs so hope it's cool to ask another :-)
So my dates are now set and I am looking to try to book a studio at 7 months - fingers crossed!
I want to try and get April 13th for 6 nights in a studio
Help me plan my strategy to do this!
I am stalking the resort availability every day and all 6 nights are currently available
Should I walk my reservation or just get on-line at exactly 7 months out?
To add a further complexity, for the 6th night I need to top up with just a few one time use points so can't book the entire stay on-line
What's my best bet here?
1. Walk the reservation (still not entirely sure of how to do this but will save that question for another post!)
2. Hop on line at (what time??) when I am at 7 months book my first 5 nights
3. Call member services at (what time??) to book the 6th night as I need one time use points
Really hope you can help me out as I have little experience with all this!
TIA

Linda67 said:
Hello everyone
I am loving this thread and have already asked a lot of Qs so hope it's cool to ask another :-)
So my dates are now set and I am looking to try to book a studio at 7 months - fingers crossed!
I want to try and get April 13th for 6 nights in a studio
Help me plan my strategy to do this!
I am stalking the resort availability every day and all 6 nights are currently available
Should I walk my reservation or just get on-line at exactly 7 months out?
To add a further complexity, for the 6th night I need to top up with just a few one time use points so can't book the entire stay on-line
What's my best bet here?
1. Walk the reservation (still not entirely sure of how to do this but will save that question for another post!)
2. Hop on line at (what time??) when I am at 7 months book my first 5 nights
3. Call member services at (what time??) to book the 6th night as I need one time use points
Really hope you can help me out as I have little experience with all this!
TIA

A lot of naysayers will recommend not walking a reservation at 7 months because even if all 6 of your nights show available now, or even right before your 7 month window, a VGC owner can swoop in and take the room that showed available before you can finish your walking.

As long as you're not borrowing, I don't see anything wrong with trying to walk a7 month reservation. You can walk the first 5 nights and but the one time points fire the 6th night on your 7 month mark. At that time you'll know for sure if the room is available and if not. Of the 6th night isn't available, I don't know that you'll be able to buy the one time points at that time and wait list the 6th night or not - I don't really know how the one time points work. Maybe check out the MS section of the DIS (or whatever it's called).

Regarding times, I think online opens at 8 EST and MS starts taking calls at 9 EST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note2 using DISBoards

A lot of naysayers will recommend not walking a reservation at 7 months because even if all 6 of your nights show available now, or even right before your 7 month window, a VGC owner can swoop in and take the room that showed available before you can finish your walking.

As long as you're not borrowing, I don't see anything wrong with trying to walk a7 month reservation. You can walk the first 5 nights and but the one time points fire the 6th night on your 7 month mark. At that time you'll know for sure if the room is available and if not. Of the 6th night isn't available, I don't know that you'll be able to buy the one time points at that time and wait list the 6th night or not - I don't really know how the one time points work. Maybe check out the MS section of the DIS (or whatever it's called).

Regarding times, I think online opens at 8 EST and MS starts taking calls at 9 EST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Note2 using DISBoards

This is great feedback, thanks very much
I now need to go away and read up on walking a reservation as I am not entirely sure of the process :goodvibes

I try to follow VGC and GCH news, and there has not been any official announcements about the refurbishment (other than Napa Rose being closed).
My assumption is this is exterior maintenance and paint, which VGC does not need. The scaffolds are facing Grizzly Rapids and are not visible from VGC.

The Disneyland blog on allears.net reported some construction as of 8/15/14.

http://land.allears.net/blogs/lauragilbreath/2014/08/disneyland_resort_photo_update_82.html

This is great feedback, thanks very much
I now need to go away and read up on walking a reservation as I am not entirely sure of the process :goodvibes

I've had luck at VGC starting reservations on Friday. I usually want Sunday to Friday, I will book Friday to Friday and then drop Friday and Saturday a couple days later.

Yours would be more tricky because you don't have enough points plus the week before is premier season, which is a lot more points. I don't think you will have problems with April 13, that is after the Easter rush. Right now the entire month of April is open for studios.

Is there a daily parking fee for guests/point renters of DVC owners

Hi, there! :goodvibes

No, there is no daily parking fee for those staying in the villas. VGC guests have free parking across the street from the Grand Californian; it is very convenient.

When you drive through the security gate to check in, you are given a parking permit for your entire stay; you may come and go as you please.

Just pull in, unload the luggage (there are bellmen there to assist), then you can park across the street.

Hope this helps! :)

I've had luck at VGC starting reservations on Friday. I usually want Sunday to Friday, I will book Friday to Friday and then drop Friday and Saturday a couple days later. Yours would be more tricky because you don't have enough points plus the week before is premier season, which is a lot more points. I don't think you will have problems with April 13, that is after the Easter rush. Right now the entire month of April is open for studios.

I am checking the resort availability tool daily!
I honestly don't think I'm going to bag a room for the whole 6 nights, it seems a real long-shot
I could (if they are available) book the first 5 nights on line as soon as the window opens and then call for the 6th night as soon as the phone lines open (need to buy a few one time use points for the 6th) but as I say, perhaps I am being too pessimistic but I'm not feeling like it's going to happen at the moment as I know the studios are in short supply

...When you drive through the security gate to check in, you are given a parking permit for your entire stay...
I've not received a parking permit, is this something new? :scratchin
I have always (at least since VGC has existed) shown my room key (with "Self Parking" printed on it) to exit the self parking lot :goodvibes

I've not received a parking permit, is this something new? :scratchin
I have always (at least since VGC has existed) shown my room key (with "Self Parking" printed on it) to exit the self parking lot :goodvibes

I remember getting a slip of paper to place on my windshield while staying at GCH before there was a VGC.

I know this sounds sick, but I actually FOUND a bunch of them in my garage. I have several from 2003 through 2008. Some are on green paper; some sat Grand California Hotel; some say Disneyland Resort Hotels.

Then I found one from 2012, but none for those intervening years.

We also usually use the exit only at the far side of the lot, up near where DTD is, so we just slide our room key card in and leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter