• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

We just got back from our 1 nighter in a studio. We got room 1516, which wasn't the view we wanted but we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. We got soaked in the rain and it was a wonderful place to warm up in. It was so nice to be back in our room in just a couple of minutes after watching WOC. We hadn't been to DLR in almost 4 years, and a lot has changed. We got Premier passes since we plan on making 2 DVC stays in WDW this coming year, and the discounts so far have been excellent. 15% off food and 20% off merch is great! We were blown away with the quality and amenities of this resort and can't wait for our next stay. Good luck everyone with your ressies.

We got room 1516, which wasn't the view we wanted but we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.
Did you request (in advance) a specific room or view?
Better luck next time, it can only get better than the first floor HA room :goodvibes
(Not that there is anything "wrong" with a HA room, the HA Grand Villa is awesome :thumbsup2)

We did not get our requested view this last August even after doing multiple venues, but the view of GGR and the pool was ok bit would rather have had the park view..sure did not spoil our trip.

Jack

Just thought I'd pop in to say:

I'm heading to GCV on January 5th for 1 night. A friend and I got some really cheap airfair from Southwest and so we are hitting up DL for a day and half. Called member services on a whim and was able to book the last studio available on that day.

Looks like I'm headed home a little earlier than expected!!!

Prior to our trip this past July, I sent an email to member services with a priority list of room numbers that I wanted (think I listed about 9-10 room numbers). At check-in, I didn't even mention the request. We got our first choice room. I'm going to try it again next summer at BLT.

Just closed on our contract! We got wait listed in July and got our 120 points this week :)

Just spent two nights over Thanksgiving with my Mom and some friends in a 2 bedroom (5606) with a great view of WOC! In fact, we're local and another friend came over Wednesday night just to see WOC.

We bought one of those "pre-made" dinners from a grocery store, made a couple of extra sides and some pies, and had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner in the villa! We did not even go in the parks--just Downtown Disney.

We just received the Notice of 2011 Annual Meetings and it looks like it is going to be held at the Grand Californian with an audio link to the Contemporary Resort at WDW. Hmmm... Maybe I'll attend.

Wow, great thread! I love all the photos!

So here's my question (short version): how hard is it going to be to get a studio at VGC in mid summer at the 7 month window?

Long version: I've been tossing around the idea of DVC for several years now. The problem is we alternate between WDW and DLR, and I think we'd use points equally between them. Considering we visit in the summer, it makes more sense to buy at VGC, since we're not as picky about taking what's available at WDW, and have more flexibility when traveling there.

On the other hand, resale on VGC seems to be running nearly $100 per point, and some of the cheaper WDW resorts are approaching $50 per point. I know the mantra is always "buy where you're going to stay", but what if we're pretty much equal at both? Is it worth paying almost twice the price at VGC just to get that 11 month window?

Looks like my 2 little ankle biters, DW, and I will soon be joining the VGC family.

Update: We're in. Closed on 11/7, and our account has now been created with points entered. I'm spending a rather giddy afternoon poking around the member site. The funny part is that we don't have any Disney vacation plans until early 2013, and I've intentionally not told the kids that we've become members. Not sure how I'm going to keep the secret for over a year so I can surprise them on our next trip -- I have trouble keeping their holiday and birthday gifts a secret for more than about 10 minutes after I buy them. But, dammit, I'm going to try. :)

Thanks to all DIS board members for all the great information and help! I lurked for a loooooong time gathering information before taking the plunge.

Oo, and thanks to the good people at The Timeshare Store and Magic Vacation Title too. :thanks:

...how hard is it going to be to get a studio at VGC in mid summer at the 7 month window?...

...we alternate between WDW and DLR, and I think we'd use points equally between them. Considering we visit in the summer, it makes more sense to buy at VGC, since we're not as picky about taking what's available at WDW, and have more flexibility when traveling there.

On the other hand, resale on VGC seems to be running nearly $100 per point, and some of the cheaper WDW resorts are approaching $50 per point...

I can't answer your original question, I'm afraid, but my family bounces between DLR and WDW too, and we went with VCG partly due to the sheer lack of DVC units available at DLR. Until (and if) the Disneyland Hotel remodel brings new DVC units online, I think there are a total of 24 studios, 24 1-BRs, 24 2-BRs, and 2 3-BR units available at all of DLR. And even if the Disneyland Hotel remodel does include a DVC component it'll do very little to bridge the gap between the number of available DLR vs WDW units, percentage-wise.

Besides, having stayed in the regular hotel rooms at the Grand Californian, I can vouch for the fact that it really is a cool resort, and the location can't be beat -- not even by the Disneyland Hotel... or the Grand Floridian... or the Polynesian.

And, FWIW, I think you can buy VGC points for less than $100, assuming you can find a contract you like. We bought and passed ROFR at $90. Still a premium over WDW resales, but not quite so bad. I guess it depends on the size of the contract you're looking to buy. We went relatively small at 100 points.

Congratulations!! on buying in at the BEST DVC :)

Update: We're in. Closed on 11/7, and our account has now been created with points entered.
:welcome:HOME!
So here's my question (short version): how hard is it going to be to get a studio at VGC in mid summer at the 7 month window?
We don't get to WDW too often so that's why we bought at VGC. But to give you an idea, my waitlist for a mid-June night 2012 just came through today. DH's boss changed her vacation plans so we had to change ours at the 7 1/2 month mark and we had to waitlist for the studio we wanted (yep, when we were competing with VGC owners only!) ... Its pretty tight with only 48 villas. However, if you're flexible with your dates and/or willing to risk wait lists not coming through, you might do just as well with SSR points. We also like to travel at peak-DVC times: early Dec, mid-October, and throw the occasional early summer trip in, so we definitely needed the home resort advantage. And I've waitlisted extra nights for our fall trips the last couple of years and not had those come through at all.

...I think there are a total of 24 studios, 24 1-BRs, 24 2-BRs, and 2 3-BR units available at all of DLR...
The correct count :teacher:
23 Studio
23 1-Bedroom
23 2-Bedroom
2 3-Bedroom (Grand Villa)

This morning, I booked a Studio for January 3-4 :wizard:
I needed those exact dates, so the Force was with me :goodvibes

After a stellar stay Nov 27-30, I just have to add on here! Nothing but excellent service and a truly magical trip. There is a link in my sig for anyone interested in reading about it. This was one of our best trips to Disneyland and I've been going my entire life. Love love love the GCV. :cloud9:

The correct count :teacher:
23 Studio
23 1-Bedroom
23 2-Bedroom
2 3-Bedroom (Grand Villa)

This morning, I booked a Studio for January 3-4 :wizard:
I needed those exact dates, so the Force was with me :goodvibes

Right. I had a bad feeling about my original numbers. ;)

But even fewer units = all the more reason to make VGC home. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter