The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

You are quite correct. I live in Northern Cal, and we were down there last year the beginning of October and it was 102. Average is supposed to be 85 during September/October, but what is Average these days?

But still any day at Disney is a good day. Just have to be prepared for the heat.

I like this site because you can enter a year and month, and then see what the actual temperature was for every day in the month:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/anaheim/california/united-states/usca0027/2014/9

Click on the History tab to view any month and year you'd like. I just looked at October, and I'm guessing you were there on the 3rd, right? :-)

I like this site because you can enter a year and month, and then see what the actual temperature was for every day in the month:

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/anaheim/california/united-states/usca0027/2014/9

Click on the History tab to view any month and year you'd like. I just looked at October, and I'm guessing you were there on the 3rd, right? :-)
Yep. The 3rd through the 7th. We had left the Bay Area with rainy weather and 60 degree temperatures. Dressed for that when we took our trip and should have packed shorts instead. :-)

Historically the end of August is a relatively good time to visit Disneyland in that it tends to be a bit less crowded. Sometimes high demand DVC times can be the times with lower crowds though. Also, it will be easier to book a 2 bedroom - esp a dedicated one - than it would be a studio so you've got that in your favor. It also depends a lot on how long you want to stay. I'd think your chance were pretty decent for a couple of nights midweek. Weekends are always tougher IME, even with higher point requirements.

I think your chances are decent. If you don't get it, then waitlist and make sure you have backup plan with free cancellation. Or use the points to book at DLH.

Thanks! I was hoping to book a full week in a 2-bedroom at end of August as we'd be travelling with another family. But if all that we are likely to get is a couple of nights, then maybe that won't work out. I guess I'll just have to give it a shot at the 7 month mark and see what happens!

Hello everyone, my best friend who lives in California just annoused he is getting married in October (Columbia Day weekend). I was planning to go to Disney World to their Food and Wine, and MNSSHP. But now I have change my plan completely. Luckily I booked my flight with Southwest so I can get that part changed without any problem, but because it is less then 7 months away, all the studios are gone at GC. I don't go to the west coast that often and when I did I always booked like the release day right on the 11 month mark. I would like to visit the week before the wedding (the week ahead of the long weekend). Can anyone tell me the chance of getting a room from the wait list request at Grand Cal? I am looking for a studio.

Last edited:
I've heard many times over the years that Columbus Day weekend is a madhouse (but never been there myself during that time).

If it were me I'd use the points to book a room at the DLH. Or of you do the wait list I'd have a backup plan because a lot of hotel will book up.

Have fun!!

Unfortunately, I would say the odds are slim to none for that week. There are only 23 studios and they are the first to go. We are holding a reservation for the time you are wanting that we booked inside of the owner window. I had to wait list a couple of days to even get that reservation. They came through, but just wanted you to know that even before the 7 month window opened, some of the days that week were fully booked.

I would like to visit the week before the wedding (the week ahead of the long weekend). Can anyone tell me the chance of getting a room from the wait list request at Grand Cal? I am looking for a studio.

Get a studio for a week? Next to nil IMO although never say never. ;) A day or two could possibly happen but not a week.

Unfortunately, I would say the odds are slim to none for that week. There are only 23 studios and they are the first to go. We are holding a reservation for the time you are wanting that we booked inside of the owner window. I had to wait list a couple of days to even get that reservation. They came through, but just wanted you to know that even before the 7 month window opened, some of the days that week were fully booked.
Oh well, so I have to come up with a back up plan.
Points chart for DLR hotels don't look that attractive. I guess I have to stay off site then.
Really wish planning a DLR DVC vacation is easier.

PS boiseflyfisher, if you ever for any reason have to cancel your reservation, can I have it Please? :)

Last edited:
I just made my first VGC reservation for Nov 12-16. I ate at Napa Rose once over 10 years ago when in CA for non-Disney reasons and we've been hoping to stay there ever since! I'm very excited we managed to get it for the race weekend.

I'm curious though, any chance Christmas decorations will be up by then? We usually get to WDW when their decorations are up, but won't this year. Wondering if I can get my Disney Christmas fix at VGC?

Christmas season usually officially begins right around nov 12. So at a minimum you should see plenty of decorations by then!

We just got our member # today and they still had a 1-bedroom available for Nov 16-22 liked we'd hoped!!! SO thrilled that we made it in the system before the 7-month window opened up! :banana:

I just made my first VGC reservation for Nov 12-16. I ate at Napa Rose once over 10 years ago when in CA for non-Disney reasons and we've been hoping to stay there ever since! I'm very excited we managed to get it for the race weekend.

I'm curious though, any chance Christmas decorations will be up by then? We usually get to WDW when their decorations are up, but won't this year. Wondering if I can get my Disney Christmas fix at VGC?

The parks will be fully in Christmas mode, but the hotels often don't have their trees and decorations until a little closer to Thanksgiving. Last year it was around the 19th that the tree went up at the Grand. The Disneyland Hotel was done a few days before that.

When requesting a room, should I request a specific room or rooms, or just say "upper level Paradise Pier view?" I have seen the photo with the room #'s on it, which is awesome. But I'm wondering which way is more successful. Thanks!

When requesting a room, should I request a specific room or rooms, or just say "upper level Paradise Pier view?" I have seen the photo with the room #'s on it, which is awesome. But I'm wondering which way is more successful. Thanks!
I have had good results sending Member Services a list of specific room numbers.

We just had a spring break trip and made specific room requests and got #2 (oUT of 4) on our lIst - I think it was 5502. So I'd go with specific room#s.

We just had a spring break trip and made specific room requests and got #2 (oUT of 4) on our lIst - I think it was 5502. So I'd go with specific room#s.
Thank you--how was the view of Paradise Pier and World of Color from that room?

Thank you--how was the view of Paradise Pier and World of Color from that room?

We're not really fans of WOC, but we did watch it from our room one night. Viewing in the park is better of course, but so much less hassle from the room.

The park view, on the other hand, we absolutely loved. We spent quite a bit of time on the balcony just watching/taking in the park.

This wasn't our first trip btw,so it wasn't just first visit love. The view was really that awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter