The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Has anyone been to the Royal Member Gathering for DVC members at DLR? My guide called on the weekend and told me about it. Apparently it's a continental breakfast with entertainment and a special guest at the end who mingles with the kids and is available for photo ops. I checked the DVC website and see it listed under member special events.

sechelt said:
Has anyone been to the Royal Member Gathering for DVC members at DLR? My guide called on the weekend and told me about it. Apparently it's a continental breakfast with entertainment and a special guest at the end who mingles with the kids and is available for photo ops. I checked the DVC website and see it listed under member special events.

I've been numerous times. We live down the street. What are your questions?

Well, I had never heard of it or seen it mentioned here so was curious. My son will be at VGC in April and I wondered if I should encourage him to go. The member website says there are 'refreshments' but our guide said it was a 'continental breakfast' so how would you describe it, and what sort of offerings are there? Is it a must-do or a waste of time for a young guy in his 20's?

By the way, wish I lived down the street. :)

sechelt said:
Well, I had never heard of it or seen it mentioned here so was curious. My son will be at VGC in April and I wondered if I should encourage him to go. The member website says there are 'refreshments' but our guide said it was a 'continental breakfast' so how would you describe it, and what sort of offerings are there? Is it a must-do or a waste of time for a young guy in his 20's?

By the way, wish I lived down the street. :)

It's a continental breakfast with Danishes, croissants, orange juice, water and fruit. You get a DVC hat when you go (new style) and they do trivia, 2 drawings for 2 large gift baskets and then after you get a surprise visit from your favorite mouse :) You can take photos and it's overall a fun experience. There's usually between 25 and 30 people there. I don't think it's a must do but I think he would enjoy it. Overall it's about 45 min to 1 hour

Hey, Nonsuch, I've always liked these diagrams you made. But I noticed today that the room numbers don't match the floor plans. Looks to me like the 2BRs you labeled here as X503, should be X505. Or am I missing something?
I don't know what you are taking about, looks fine to me :rotfl:

Those exterior pictures have been posted for over a year, and you are the first person to notice the error. It was easy to make the correction (since the picture and numbers are in different layers in OmniGaffle), but I needed to learn how to change the web photo hosted on Picasa (without breaking the existing links).

we were in 5505 during our stay, while it wasnt paradise pier view it was nice to see the fireworks from Disneyland in our room. These could be see over top the adjacent building. Overall a really nice room.

It's a continental breakfast with Danishes, croissants, orange juice, water and fruit. You get a DVC hat when you go (new style) and they do trivia, 2 drawings for 2 large gift baskets and then after you get a surprise visit from your favorite mouse :) You can take photos and it's overall a fun experience. There's usually between 25 and 30 people there. I don't think it's a must do but I think he would enjoy it. Overall it's about 45 min to 1 hour

From your description, it will be a must-do for him. He loves DL and the villas as much as I do so I know he'll love it. Thanks for the details!

we were in 5505 during our stay, while it wasnt paradise pier view it was nice to see the fireworks from Disneyland in our room. These could be see over top the adjacent building. Overall a really nice room.

Congrats on your villa assignment. I think it would be cool to watch the fireworks from your suite. Did you need to go on the balcony or were you able to see from inside?

Nonsuch said:
I don't know what you are taking about, looks fine to me :rotfl:

Those exterior pictures have been posted for over a year, and you are the first person to notice the error. It was easy to make the correction (since the picture and numbers are in different layers in OmniGaffle), but I needed to learn how to change the web photo hosted on Picasa (without breaking the existing links).

Looks good now. Thanks!

I am totally confused (doesn't take much:)) but here's my question. We will be arriving on Sat. 4/13 and have reserved a dedicated 2br, higher floor. At the time of booking the CM wouldn't take more than one request because I said I wanted a higher floor with a theme park view. Anyway, we would really like a higher floor with a room that we can see WOC from the balcony. We will have small children with us and don't want the hassle of trying to get tickets/passes for WOC. What rooms should we request and in what order and is the best way to make these requests to call MS?

TIA. This thread is just fabulous!

This sounds fun! When is it usually offered...days of week and time? We are in the process of buying a BLT contract. We should be official members by the time our stay at the VGC rolls around!

I am totally confused (doesn't take much:)) but here's my question. We will be arriving on Sat. 4/13 and have reserved a dedicated 2br, higher floor. At the time of booking the CM wouldn't take more than one request because I said I wanted a higher floor with a theme park view. Anyway, we would really like a higher floor with a room that we can see WOC from the balcony. We will have small children with us and don't want the hassle of trying to get tickets/passes for WOC. What rooms should we request and in what order and is the best way to make these requests to call MS?

TIA. This thread is just fabulous!

On the members website, go into your reservation and there should be a place to contact MS. That's where I put in my request for specific villas. I received an email confirmation of receipt within a few days.

If you scroll back up this thread, you'll see pictures of VGC with an overlay of numbers. The dedicated 2 bdrms are the ones with green numbers. If you want a Paradise Pier view, choose ones ending with 00, 04, and 06. 3522 is also a dedicated 2 bdrm. Just requesting an upper level theme park won't guarantee a Paradise Pier view because Grizzly Peak is also a theme park view.

As for what order, everyone has different opinions of which is best. I requested 6 different villas and got #5506.

VGC also has a viewing terrace where hotel guests can go and watch WOC. It's located next to 6500.

Checkers said:
What rooms should we request and in what order and is the best way to make these requests to call MS?
I have had good results sending an email to Member Services. (The address is in your vacation planner)

Maps are linked on my signature.

My request for a dedicated 2 bedroom:
6500, 5506, 5500, 4506, 4500, 3522, 3506, 3500

Noise from the door leading to the WOC patio can disturb 6500.

I have a question about Grad Nights. We will be there during some of the days that the Grad Night parties will be going. I have requested a WOC view with specific room numbers (still crossing my fingers that we get one of those rooms). My question is, I was reading HydroGuy's thread (from the Disneyland boards) explaining Grad Nights and he said that the only ones that will be affected by the noise during the parties are those that will be staying at the GCH/VGC. I was curious if anyone has ever stayed there (in a WOC view) that experienced a ton of noise from those parties. I had also read that Disney puts on a fireworks show at 3am during those nights, so I am wondering if a pool view on the other side of the resort will be better to request. DH and the girls are sound sleepers and will sleep through anything, it's me that I am worried about :rotfl:.

Also, for anyone who knows and experienced going to the parks before these parties, how crowded are the parks during the day. I know that the kids have a 1 day hopper pass that is good for all day on their party day. Don't get me wrong, we are still really excited about going to DLR, but we have always avoided going during Grad Nights at WDW because of the excessive crowds that they draw. I am just trying to get prepared for them. Thank you for any info on this.

It seems like the weekends always book out extremely early; is that accurate?

I was hoping to get a studio/1BR for Sept 25-28 on a stopover on our way to Hawaii at my seven month window. As I'be been watching it when the member site would work, it seems they weekend dates are always gone. I've got a back up hotel reservation, but was so hopping to stay here.

I became a DVC owner about a year ago and am FINALLY about to have my first stay at my home resort. You really need that 12 month booking advantage here. While waiting, I have been lurking and reading this thread. Thank you so much for all of the great information. I dream of the day where I have enough experience staying at VGC that I might be able to offer useful advice.:rotfl:

I am sooo excited. :cool1:

I was there last year during grad nights, but not in the VGC, so I cannot help for noise.
Crowds were moderate during the day, groups start entering in the afternoon. So the best strategy is to enter early, collect Fast Passes during the morning and use them in the evening. Be aware that some crazy things happen, like 3 hours wait for the TOT in the evening, with 45 minutes for the fast pass as well.
With the right strategy I never waited more tha 20 minutes for anything, except WOC, but I wanted a good position to see it ( so worth).

I became a DVC owner about a year ago and am FINALLY about to have my first stay at my home resort. You really need that 12 month booking advantage here. While waiting, I have been lurking and reading this thread. Thank you so much for all of the great information. I dream of the day where I have enough experience staying at VGC that I might be able to offer useful advice.:rotfl:

I am sooo excited. :cool1:

Hey, I recall you and I were looking for VGC contracts around the same time.

We stayed there for THREE trips last year - 4th of July, Labor Day (for the 1/2 marathon) and Christmas.

You are going to love it there.

I just wanted to mention, our July and December trips I booked about 3-4 months out, and actually used my OKW points. It IS possible to get a several nights together even that close to arrival if you are aggressive and lucky using the on line booking system. That's how I lucked out last year, and it saved my VGC points for our next big trip there this Labor Day, again for the 1/2 marathon.

Even so, we are waiting on ROFR for another batch of VGC points because we'd love to be able to do 1 bedrooms consistently.

Good luck to you and have a great time there!

I went last year on Memorial Weekend when Grad Nite was just starting but didn't encounter any noisy parties at the Grand. Be aware that it has been @ the Disneyland Park for the last 2 years (my oldest son attended in 2011) & THIS year it should be @ California Adventure! This will be something different since they only had DCA for just a few hours before & now its probably til 3 or 4 am there. They also began the new thing of giving them an ALL DAY hopper to use prior to their party so alot of rowdy teenagers will be hogging rides during the day! I think they may LOVE it @ DCA if the MAD TEA party goes on (my parent comment - minus the drinking station) they just want to DANCE to the DJ Techno music - a la rave but hopefully the clean Disney way! My son said that the rides were just for them but it was STILL crowded & couldn't ride more than 3 rides the whole event time!! He had an AWESOME time cuz he was with his friends plus met new ones from other schools!! All in all I heard no problems at the resorts but more during their time of Grad Nite (my friends chaperoned & only a few were out of hand)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter