• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Village People take on "The World" & a 25th Unbirthday: 10/31 - FINAL UPDATE

Aww it's over already? You sure you can't stretch this out a bit more? :(

Looking forward to more Ann-tics in December.

Of course, it was October; it might be busier when you're there in December?

I'm sure hoping it won't be! We're there during a historically slow season, which is I'm guessing the reason they offered all of these end of the year promotions----to drum up attendance. 30 minutes isn't a bad wait at all, I could deal with that.

I'm sorry your report is ending...it's been great fun to read! Have you started a PTR for your December trip yet?

Have I started my PTR yet? :rotfl2: It's been going for far too long---since April.

Here is the link. Not too much going on right now, but we're almost down into the 30's for my countdown, so things are bound to start picking up, especially now that the October trip is gone. The link is also in my signature. Hope to see you over there!

Aww it's over already? You sure you can't stretch this out a bit more? :(

Looking forward to more Ann-tics in December.

It is over already, Scott---is yours?? ;) :rotfl2:

There will be pleeeeeenty to write about/post pictures of in December and I promise to try to stretch that TR out for at least a few weeks. :thumbsup2

Thanks for tagging along, Todd. I'm sure you won't be doing a full-fledged TR for November like you did for the last trip---but make sure to post your shots over on the Photo Board, I'll be looking for them!

PS: You going for work again, or with the family? If you explained, I missed it. :guilty:

This trip is for work... it's a conference on the 9-11, but I'll have plenty of "play time" while I'm there.

Will do on the shots. Not sure about a full TR, but you never know... I'm planning to take a toooooooooonnnnnnnn (just bought a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fish and a 9X ND filter for some daytime action shots, or daytime action/fish shots... who knows? It might get kinda crazy).

This trip is for work... it's a conference on the 9-11, but I'll have plenty of "play time" while I'm there.

Will do on the shots. Not sure about a full TR, but you never know... I'm planning to take a toooooooooonnnnnnnn (just bought a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 fish and a 9X ND filter for some daytime action shots, or daytime action/fish shots... who knows? It might get kinda crazy).

:rotfl2: I swear, just when I think that I'll post something a little more "fresh" and interesting---you beat me to it!! You weren't planning to do MNSSHP and I was, and then you did. I have had an ND400 filter for about 8 months and haven't used it yet and was going to in December and now you'll be doing shots with that. At least I'm going at Christmas and you aren't, so we can't post similar shots of that (or are you???) ;)

Can't wait to see the shots and I hope things to get kinda crazy, it'll make for a fun TR. :thumbsup2

Well everyone, now comes the time I have been dreading for a few days, the final installment of my TR. Sadly, there aren't many pics for this installment (and even less that are actually interesting), but I hope you enjoy it anyway.

Day 3: October 19, 2009

Today was our final day in The World and needless to say, we weren't happy about that. :sad1: BUT, we knew we'd be back in less than two months to enjoy a whole week in WDW during the holiday season :santa:, so we quickly turned that frown upside down and decided to make the most of our last day.

The plan was to wake up around 8:30 to start the day. Unfortunately, the night before---Erik set his alarm clock for 8:30am and selected "weekend" setting. However, it was Monday, so the 5:30am alarm kicked in and at 5:30 we got the rude awakening of "Spider pig, spider pig...does whatever a spider pig does." :headache: After our 1:30am bedtime because of Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, this was a less than pleasant wake-up call. We went back to sleep until 8:30 and got the day started.

Up and at em for our last day of the trip. Getting a refill in our mug, having a pop tart, showering and goig to Downtown Disney.5:32 AM Oct 19th from Tweetie

We didn't do any packing the night before, but since we only had carry-ons it was easy to take care of. We were out the door of our hotel by 10:45am after grabbing a Pop Tart to hold us over until lunch. I had to check out, drop by tripod off at the Business Center, go to the Concierge desk, drop our bags at the luggage room and have our boarding passes printed. It was a very smooth, efficient process and by just after 11:00am we were waiting for the bus to Downtown Disney.

Record time. Checked out, sent a package, printed boarding passes and stowed bags---now at the bus stop, all by 11:07.
8:11 AM Oct 19th from Tweetie

The bus arrived within a matter of minutes. Yayyy! Our elation quickly disappeared once we realized that this was going to be the looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooongest bus ride of the whole trip. We got picked up at the main bus stop in front of the lobby and had to pick people up from every bus stop at the resort. The bus driver had to be in his 70's and needless to say, he didn't exactly put the pedal to the metal. After about 40 minutes on the bus, we arrived at DTD. Hooray!!!

The plan was to shop around and have our first sandwich ever from Earl of Sandwich. After all of the great reviews, I was looking forward to being the judge of whether or not these truly were awesome sammies.

When we walked up, it was pretty packed. It was right around 12:30pm so I knew we were in for a lunch rush and were prepared to wait.

Standing in line at EOS. Gonna get the original and the holiday turkey sandwich.
9:01 AM Oct 19th from Tweetie

Erik and I decided that we wanted to get two sandwiches that appealed to both of us, so we could sample both. He picked the Holiday Turkey sandwich and I decided on the Original. What I had really wanted was the Caribbean Jerk Chicken sandwich, but Erik didn't seem interested and since we had a deal---I couldn't break it.

We got to the counter after less than 10 minutes in line even though you would swear it was going to take at least 20. Then, I called an audible. This would be our only real meal of the day and I wasn't sure how big the sandwiches were and since they were reasonably cheap, I decided to order three. I can't help it, I really wanted the Caribbean Jerk Chicken!!

So, we put in an order for a Caribbean Jerk Chicken, a Holiday Turkey and the Original. We also ordered a brownie since they get such great reviews, even though I knew we wouldn't be able to finish it.

(I apologize in advance for the pictures, it was super crowded and I had to make due with getting shots of the sandwiches with everything jammed on our table.)

The Holiday Turkey Sandwich:

696905527_hh8cq-M.jpg

Erik and I both agreed that this was seriously awesome. It was a roll with turkey, stuffing, cranberry and gravy. There might have been cheese on it also, but I can't find the menu description.

Basically, if you like Thanksgiving dinner the day after Thanksgiving, you will like this sandwich. The bread was awesome, the turkey was nice and thick---not regular lunch meat turkey, the cranberry was sweet and tart and the stuffing was moist and flavorful.

This was Erik's favorite sandwich of all three and he even said he thinks it's the best sandwich he has ever eaten. This coming from the Hoagie King himself---so that's an accomplishment for EOS.

Next up was the Caribbean Jerk Chicken:

696905426_USzwe-M.jpg

OMG SOOOOOO GOOD. This was, by far, my favorite sandwich of the three. It was seriously better than I expected it to be. Again, the bread was awesome---I think it made the sandwiches. The chicken was nice and thick, the spicy jerk sauce was spicy with a nice little kick but not overly spicy and the banana peppers were fantastic. They were a little sweet and weren't served hot on the sandwich IIRC, which added a nice little coolness to an otherwise hot sandwich. I will soooooo be getting this again in December.

Lastly was the Original 1762:

696905602_EG7vw-M.jpg

We got this because it sounded simple and yummy. After all, it is the original which I take to mean an EOS classic---so it couldn't be bad, right? Right. It most definitely wasn't bad, but it was unfortunately our least favorite sandwich of the three. It was tasty, just a little boring and not quite as delicious as the other two sandwiches. Looking back, we could have skipped this one. The bread was good again, there was a ton of roast beef on it and the cheddar cheese was nice and melty. I think the thing I didn't like was the horseradish sauce. I expect horseradish sauce to have a little zesty bite and this sauce was more....sweet?? It just didn't taste like what I expected. Not bad, just didn't have any kick which is what I was expecting.

Lastly was the brownie I had heard so much about:

696905852_UdRvW-M.jpg

IMO, the brownie was a brownie. It seems to get a lot of great reviews here on the DIS, but to me it wasn't anything special. It was a good size, but after finishing probably 3/4 of each sandwich we didn't eat more than a bite or so each. I think my main issue with the brownie is that I like a fudgie browny, one that is very moist and rich. This brownie was definitely rich, but not fudgie if that makes sense. It was just kind of, meh.

Overall, we give Earl of Sandwich a HUGE two thumbs up. For the price and the taste it is a definite must on our list for December. Erik already specially requested lunch there again, so after some rearranging we'll now be eating there our first day in WDW before we see La Nouba on the west side of DTD. For Erik to say that it's the best sandwich he's ever had and not give him the pleasure of eating there again would just be cruel, wouldn't it?? ;)

After we had been completely stuffed to the max, we decided to walk our lunch off by doing some shopping at Downtown Disney. Personally, I hate DTD. I'm not huge on souveniers and it's usually crowded---I'd much rather be at the parks, but Erik had never really been so we decided to give it a whirl rather than spend another $150 in park admission for the day.

We popped into the Christmas store to see if there were any ornaments I wanted for the tree this year, we went into World of Disney and got a keychain and magnet for my Mom, as well as a toy for the dogs. I had to make a stop in the Lego store for a Star Wars lego keychain for a co-worker. None of these places really appeal to me, so after about an hour of walking around, we decided to call it a day and head back to the resort.

Just got a cab back to CSR from DTD. Too tired to wait for the bus today. Back at the hotel. 1.5 hours to relax before the DME picks us up.10:29 AM Oct 19th from Tweetie

When we arrived at CSR, we had some time to waste, so we poked around the gift shop, got a refill in our mug and went to sit outside at the Laguna Bar.

I sipped on a Diet Coke from my mug.

696905993_NTP9a-L.jpg

Erik enjoyed a just shy of $10 margarita from the bar. :scared1:

696906082_aVYGc-L.jpg

It was sunny, upper 60's and overall a beautiful day. Relaxed and content, we sat enjoying our drinks and looked out over the lake. Soon enough, wouldn't you know we saw something swimming towards us and it was a gator! It was probably about 4 1/2 feet long from tail to nose and looked like it was sunbathing, just sort of floating around taking in the sights.

696905966_K9Dff-L.jpg

Watching the gator swim around probably occupied us for about 20 minutes. Lots of people on lunch took pictures, some fed the gator some bread :rolleyes: and it stayed there for well over an hour while we relaxed.

And now the conventioneers are feeding said gator. I don't think that's allowed. Tisk tisk business people.
10:55 AM Oct 19th from Tweetie

Eventually, it was that time---time to head over to pick up our bags and wait to board the Magical Express. Who knows where the day went, it seems like we were only there for a few hours that day rather than until 3:00pm. Time to leave Disney always comes too soon, but like I said before, we knew we'd be back in a few quick weeks, so the sting of leaving wasn't too bad.

Waiting for the bus. Wish we had just one last ride on Splash Mountain but that will have to wait 2 months.11:56 AM Oct 19th from Tweetie

If I ever found anyone who spelled our name right (even after we tell them exactly how to spell it), I'd be amazed.

696906120_LA4EE-L.jpg

We ended up leaving on a Disney Cruise Line bus. The ride was uneventful and as usual, Erik fell asleep. We pulled into MCO around 4:00, went through security and rode the monorail one last time. Erik decided he wanted some dinner and that was a wise decision, because we wouldn't get into Baltimore until 8:30. We found a Sbarro (Erik's mall/airport food court fave) and had a seat.

At MCO, 2 hours til our flight. Sbarro and mcdonalds for dinner. Mmmmmmmmmm heart attackarific.1:20 PM Oct 19th from Tweetie

We boarded our flight on time and even though I had started to feel sick at this point, I decided it would be prudent to snap some pictures on the plane since I hadn't on the way down.

696906311_79Jpi-M.jpg

We took off and enjoyed a nice smooth flight back to Baltimore. The sun was setting while we flew and it made for a nice enjoyable view to pass the time.

696908367_pGiWo-L.jpg

We had a great flight home, arrived on time and looked like the weather was nice enough to make for a pleasant 2 1/2 hour drive home.

Just pulled into BWI. Great flight, got here about 5 minutes early. Makes up for the 45 late on the way down :)
5:29 PM Oct 19th from Tweetie

696908670_acs6o-L.jpg

We obviously arrived home, safe and sound and absolutely exhausted.

The trip is officially over, but there's more fun to come in the next few months after we take our trip to WDW from December 12-18.

Thanks everyone for reading along and I hope I made this TR as entertaining as possible. I'd love to have even more readers/viewers for my report in December---so if you are interested, pop over to my "Christmas Vacation" PTR (listed in my signature) and join me for a wonderful week of deluxe accomodations, deluxe dining, MVMCP, Cirque du Soleil, Behind the Seeds and a bunch more!! :yay:

Ann

We will be there at the same time, Dec 10-18th Wilderness Lodge....
LOVED your trip report & photos !! GREAT job !!:santa::santa::santa:

Great job, Ann. I thoroughly enjoyed your report and can't wait for a full week in December.

I HATE sandwiches but LOVE EoS! Like LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Always our favorite meal on property! I wish they had the holiday one when I was there! So jealous!

Glad you liked CSR, sad your TR is over :(

It is over already, Scott---is yours?? ;) :rotfl2:

There will be pleeeeeenty to write about/post pictures of in December and I promise to try to stretch that TR out for at least a few weeks. :thumbsup2

No, but only because I haven't had time to sit down and write it. Having a very busy weekend.

That picture of the holiday turkey sandwich makes me want to go get another one. It's a good thing the Earl of Sandwich near here is about 10-15 miles from my house or I'd be eating there a lot more often.

Great ending! We had decided to eat at WPE in December, but now I really want that holiday sandwich from EOS! :lmao:

Denise

:rotfl2: I swear, just when I think that I'll post something a little more "fresh" and interesting---you beat me to it!! You weren't planning to do MNSSHP and I was, and then you did. I have had an ND400 filter for about 8 months and haven't used it yet and was going to in December and now you'll be doing shots with that. At least I'm going at Christmas and you aren't, so we can't post similar shots of that (or are you???) ;)

Can't wait to see the shots and I hope things to get kinda crazy, it'll make for a fun TR. :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: I know what you mean. Seems like someone is always one step ahead. Whenever I get a good idea for a shot, I'll browse around flickr and find that about 8 or 9 times out of 10, it's already been done. I have a couple of ideas for the ND, but that's about it. We'll see how it goes once I'm actually there. Honestly, I don't really like using filters so I can't see it staying on my camera very long.

May have to try EOL. Never eaten there, but you guys made me want to try it :thumbsup2.

We decided to take the ferry to the Poly. It was something we had never done. We started to walk down a brick pathway and didn't see a boat or a sign indicating a pick-up, so we kept walking.....

and walking.....

and on the way we saw this, which I thought was cool.

After about five minutes of walking, we seemed to be getting awfully close to the Grand Floridian. We kept walking and eventually we saw a dead end. You've got to be kidding me! Why in the world would anyone make a walkway to nowhere?? Makes no sense to me.
If it makes you feel any better, I DID THE SAME THING!:lmao: It's such a nice path, and it goes on for quite awhile, but you feel like idiot when it just stops and you have to walk all the way back :rotfl2:They ought to put a sign up or something! DEAD END! ;)

Hi Anne.
I just found your Trip Report and I am glad that I did. You have some great pictures posted. Your MNSSHP pics are awesome especially the headless horseman. I will be looking forward to your Dec report.

Just finished your TR and I loved it! My DH and I want to go next year for MNSSHP and seeing your pictures really makes me want to go even more!!

BTW, all of your pictures are so beautiful! I wish I had the skill and/or the camera to take pics even half as good as those ;)

I just came on over and read your TR based on your urging my sister to check it out in Scott's TR :laughing:, and I loved it! Great pics, and it looks like you packed lots of fun into your few days there! I especially love the MNSSHP pics, including the parade pics. The ones I took with my little point and shoot just do not compare (we'll be posting some in our TR one of these days, in case you want to pop over for a good laugh at those pics! :rotfl:)! Very cool that your next trip is so soon - I'll be sure to check out that TR too!

Uh-Oh! I hope this doesn't go to the completed board until I've had time to catch up!! :rolleyes1

Kathy

No sweat, Kathy. If it does go to the Completed Board, you can always leave me tons of comments on my Christmas TR, since you should be close to done with yours by then, right?? ;) :goodvibes

Hi Anne.
I just found your Trip Report and I am glad that I did. You have some great pictures posted. Your MNSSHP pics are awesome especially the headless horseman. I will be looking forward to your Dec report.

Hi there. Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to my December report too. I rented a nice fixed aperture telephoto lens and hope to use my UWA a bit more, so hopefully I'll have some interesting shots to share. :thumbsup2

Just finished your TR and I loved it! My DH and I want to go next year for MNSSHP and seeing your pictures really makes me want to go even more!!

BTW, all of your pictures are so beautiful! I wish I had the skill and/or the camera to take pics even half as good as those ;)

Hi there! Welcome, better late than never! MNSSHP was an absolute blast, we had a great time and I would highly recommend going. :woohoo: And thanks for the compliment on my photos, you're going to make me blush! :cutie:

I just came on over and read your TR based on your urging my sister to check it out in Scott's TR :laughing:, and I loved it! Great pics, and it looks like you packed lots of fun into your few days there! I especially love the MNSSHP pics, including the parade pics. The ones I took with my little point and shoot just do not compare (we'll be posting some in our TR one of these days, in case you want to pop over for a good laugh at those pics! :rotfl:)! Very cool that your next trip is so soon - I'll be sure to check out that TR too!

:rotfl2: I'm shameless, right? It's horrible but I figured that if we all have Scott's TR in common, maybe we would enjoy eachother's right? :goodvibes I'll have to find my way over to your TR. I have signatures disabled most of the time while I'm at home---but when I DIS at work I see all of the TRs I'm missing!

Hi Anne,
I just finished your TR. I loved the photos! They're awesome! What lens did you find yourself gravitating toward? Did you use the new Tokina UWA f/2.8 lens? (You did buy that one, is that correct?) Were you also using a fisheye lens? Are you using Lightroom for post? Great job on the headless horseman and parade shots as well! I have often made the same mistake of forgetting to dial down the ISO when comingoff a dark ride. It's such a frustrating thing when that happens, but trust me it's worse when it happens in broad daylight! :headache: At least your fireworks photos came out great! You're so lucky to be going back in 12 days! :woohoo:

Hi Anne,
I just finished your TR. I loved the photos! They're awesome! What lens did you find yourself gravitating toward? Did you use the new Tokina UWA f/2.8 lens? (You did buy that one, is that correct?) Were you also using a fisheye lens? Are you using Lightroom for post? Great job on the headless horseman and parade shots as well! I have often made the same mistake of forgetting to dial down the ISO when comingoff a dark ride. It's such a frustrating thing when that happens, but trust me it's worse when it happens in broad daylight! :headache: At least your fireworks photos came out great! You're so lucky to be going back in 12 days! :woohoo:

Hey---thanks for stopping by! I always find myself gravitating towards the Sigma 30, since it is by far the favorite of all the lenses I've owned so far (which admittedly isn't very many). I've had the kit 18-55 VR, the 18-200, the Sigma 30, the Nikon 60 Micro, the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 and the Tokina 11-16 and I just like everything about the Sigma best.

I did buy the Tokina 11-16 and used it (albeit minimally) in Disney in October. The night I really wanted to test it out in Epcot, I forgot my quick release plate (I was using the Black Rapid strap, so it wasn't attached). The next night at MNSSHP I ended up shooting with it a bit in front of the train station on the way in and then I used it for HalloWishes. It seems like a fun lens, but I'm looking forward to really trying it out in December.

I did also use a fisheye lens, the Nikon 10.5---although this is a lens that a fellow DISer let me borrow, not my own. That was really fun to shoot with. I may be borrowing it again today for our trip in December, just depends on if I can make it out to meet her this afternoon. Very generous, right?? :thumbsup2

For post, I was using Photoshop Elements with Adobe Camera Raw for processing my .NEF files. I don't have Lightroom right now, but will be downloading the free trial to see if I like it after we return from our trip in December, same with Topaz and PhotoMatix for HDR. I figured I might as well download them and start the trial when I actually had photos to process rather than right now for shots of my dogs. :goodvibes

Thanks so much for the compliments on the shots I got---I was really happy with the photo of the Headless Horseman. I'm excited to be going back in a few days, but more stressed than anything. So much to do, so little time!!

I'm doing a PTR for my December trip (in my signature) and will be doing a TR once I get back. I rented the 80-200 f/2.8 for my trip since I'm considering buying it, so hopefully I have some good shots when I return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter