The (un)OFFICIAL PALEO/PRIMAL/SCD Thread!

ready123go

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the (un)Official PALEO/PRIMAL/SCD THREAD!

Although it is a fairly easy diet to follow (I find), sometimes it's hard finding restaurants and chefs that understand.

Here we can share grain-free, sugar-free, lactose-free, etc. etc., PALEO/PRIMAL/SCD tips, tricks and restaurant recommends that will help us stay Paleo in the "World".

For some this is a lifestyle choice, for others (such as myself) this is a serious GI/Autoimmunity issue.

It's not my intention to tell others what to eat or how to eat it. It's likely none of us follows the exact same diet (some of the foods that like me might not like another, and vice versa). I would simply like to share the possibilities. Hopefully we can learn from one another.

Best of health to you and yours!

Kris

Original Thread:

Any Restaurant Recommends For Paleo?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I eat Paleo & GF. I've eaten GF at WDW on many occasions, but this is my first trip eating Paleo.

Any restaurant recommendations for Paleo?

TIA

Last edited:
I figured I'd try here first. Since I eat Paleo for my multiple digestive disorders, I thought others with food allergies/sensitivities might also eat Paleo.

If no one has any suggestions, I will eventually repost in the Restaurants forum. :)

I eat paleo but also have lots of other paleo safe foods I avoid due to allergies. My favorite restaurants are Sanaa and Boma at AKL, Tusker House and Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Sunshine Seasons at EP and Citricos at GF. I've eaten other good meals at other places but the restaurants I've listed have repeatedly had chefs who've gone above and beyond for me!

I eat paleo but also have lots of other paleo safe foods I avoid due to allergies. My favorite restaurants are Sanaa and Boma at AKL, Tusker House and Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Sunshine Seasons at EP and Citricos at GF. I've eaten other good meals at other places but the restaurants I've listed have repeatedly had chefs who've gone above and beyond for me!

Those are our favs, too. (Haven't tried Citricos, but on the "List"). Thanks! :goodvibes

Sorry for ot but the exc chef for Sanaa was on the latest food net work special for Disney. I also posted a link on gf naan bread from Sanaa that Disney was using to promote more gf choices. So maybe the chef at Sanaa is real special and might be chef tj worthy or that level.

Hi there,
I think I am seeing this post way too late, but figured I'd chime in because I am Paleo too!
Just visited Disney for the holidays and had great experiences.

I did feel a little overwhelmed to tell the chef's that I was "paleo", so instead I told them that my 3 big food allergies were Gluten, Dairy and Soy. (Then on my own I could use my digression to order something with extra veggies instead of potatoes or no legumes etc.) The sugar factor was something I was a bit lax with on the trip though, since I'm assuming there is sugar in pretty much everything...so I didn't worry too much. (And I did "cheat" a bit with the allergy free mickey waffles and the babycakes cupcakes that have a bit of rice flour etc.) Overall, I was already so exhausted from long days at the park that i couldn't tell if the difference in my diet was affecting me or not. Needless to say, two days back to eating STRICT paleo at home I feel fine, so I think I did well overall!
I'm hoping to write a bigger food review (with pics!) in the next week or so on the disAbilities board, so look for that.

But we did delux dining and ate a TON, but here are some of my favorite places:

California grille- my salad with arugula, beets, and macadamia nuts was amazing. Charcuterie was great (only could eat certain pieces which the chef showed me), lamb was great with lots of veggies.

Flying fish cafe- Had the most HUGE plate of mussels for an apetizer...the chef made me a special saffron broth that wasnt even on the menu! Had the strip at the snapper with "what ever veggies I wanted" as the chef said...I chose asparagus. (fish modified with no sauce, I don't eat butter either). Sorbet with berries for dinner...yes I know, sugar, but I'm on vacay ;)

Be our guest- trio of salads was delicious and all paleo safe!, charcuterie again, pork coq au vin.

Artist point- Cedar plank salmon was AMAZING. they also had a berry cobler that was gluten free dairy free and delicious! (one of the few restaurants where my only choice wasnt sorbet! lol) Appetizer salad there was also great and the chef made me special sunflower seed croutins!

oooh! and I had a delicoius seafood curry at yak and yetti (although i couldnt order basically ANYTHING else off that menu lol...but it was GOOD!)

I guess my biggest suggestion is to dine at the signature restaurants where there is an emphasis on delicious meat and veggies, and a lot of the charcuterie and sausages are homemade, rather than the additives in the sausage and bacon at the other meals.

Hope that helps my paleo friends! :)

I have kind of a bizzare answer, oops. I'm nothing if not unique :rotfl:

I just recently was at WDW. I am pretty stick Paleo for health problems but wanted to eat at the Crystal Palace because I love Pooh.

I didn't think it would be easy but it turned out that it was much easier than I thought!

Maybe not a first choice because the buffet has lots that you won't be able to eat, but what I was able to eat was fantastic! Also the staff was amazing and able to answer any questions I had about specific items and if I was able to eat them.

Just something to keep in mind if you like The CP type restaurants.

Best of luck! I am going to follow this thread for sure because I did find strict Paleo a little hard to follow while I was there.

IMHO I don't consider 'paleo' a disability personally.... just the way I try to eat to maintain better health(boy do I need it):rotfl: but I am also a little concerned about finding enough of my types of foods, so I have a suitcase with my own foods packed to carry with me also. I did ask on the restaurant board about smoothies, but I didn't get any answers... I was wondering if I could find a place that creates smoothies in any parks, Dairy free, sugar free,etc. I drink a lot of smoothies at home.:banana: I have a feeling I will have to relax a bit on some sugar stuff while on vacation, but even GF grains are not my friend lately. So like I said, I try not to think of food options as a disability,just different needs(probably stems from raising a severely allergic child before most people knew what an allergy was) but I am always looking for others food successes!

interesting that you mention paleo and crystal palace.... I have an upcoming res for breakfast,and hoping I can get eggs,my way there!:cool1:

Thanks everyone for the responses!! Happy to see a few Paleo folks here. I know some do it as a 'better health' choice, but for me it was more of an 'IBS,-bloating-and-GI-pain-is-getting-worse-every-day-and-need-to-find-a-solution-NOW' choice. :goodvibes

I've been eating Paleo (Primal) for a few months now. Also incorporated low FODMAPS, so no garlic or onions (which are my terrible triggers).

I feel much better than I did a year ago. I can actually leave the bathroom now - Yay!

Maybe we can make a 'Paleo/Primal' and 'other' diets thread? We can post our dining experiences for one another. :-D

Following, as an Autoimmune Paleo Protocol diet has been suggested to me many times. It seems overwhelming just to try to follow at home and I'm curious as to how such things work when you can't eat at home.

I am curious, too! I am GF (my daughter has celiac, I am intolerant) and mostly grain free. I feel better when I am grain free but I do have occasional GF treats. I would love to hear others' experiences and I love the idea of a thread for this!

I am curious, too! I am GF (my daughter has celiac, I am intolerant) and mostly grain free. I feel better when I am grain free but I do have occasional GF treats. I would love to hear others' experiences and I love the idea of a thread for this!

I have done GF at both WDW and DL and it was blessedly easy. At table service restaurants, you alert your server and the chef comes to you to consult on your options. At counter service locations, you speak with a manager or a chef.

It doesn't seem like it would be a great stretch for grain free (but Paleo seems to go a lot further.)

I've had good luck at Columbia Harbour House in MK. For lunch got the salmon, & broccoli then substituted another broccoli for the side of couscous. Yum!

also some good blogs out there to get some ideas -I like GF and dairy free in orlando

I've had good luck at Columbia Harbour House in MK. For lunch got the salmon, & broccoli then substituted another broccoli for the side of couscous. Yum!

That sounds good! Since you ordered at CHH, do you happen to know if the broccoli salad at CHH can be made gluten free even if a topping or two had to be removed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter