The Ultimate Stomach Bug @ Disney Thread

This is true. It's also especially annoying at Disney if you're staying in a room with only one bathroom. :scared:

While I hate being sick, the most annoying part for me was missing dinner at Ohana Thursday night and then our only day scheduled for the Studios, our last day. :(

This is exactly why buying a non expiring ticket is the way to go. If you miss a day you can always use it in the future.....there is no loss of money.

My biggest fear would being sick on the day of departure, i would have to cancel my flight and leave on another day. I had a nasty stomach virus last June and I could not leave my bathroom for 8 hours. The runs were so bad! There was no way I could leave my house. Man they need to come up with a vaccine for stomach bugs!!!!!

This is exactly why buying a non expiring ticket is the way to go. If you miss a day you can always use it in the future.....there is no loss of money.

We have non-expiring tickets, so we're good there. Of course there's only one day left on them, so it's hard to justify booking another trip for just that. We'll see how the budget holds up next year, though! ;)

We just got back (12/21 to 12/28) and stayed at the Contemporary. We didn't get sick and didn't see any evidence of anyone around us getting ill. We Cloroxed the room surfaces, did lots of hand-washing and Purell-ing, and didn't touch ANYTHING, LOL!

Not only is the Noro virus going around WDW...but chicken pox/shingles as well.

A family member had her face painted at Magic Kingdom recently and the next day she had shingles on her face in the same pattern as the face paint! Talk about pain! :scared:

Never let your kids do face painting at WDW, they don't properly sanitize the brushes!

What resorts are having the biggest outbreaks now? We are going back next week and staying at PORFQ. Thinking about changing to a deluxe resort this time to avoid the outbreak!

Umm, I'd say this is definitely a coincidence. We recently had to go back to the Drs. for the Chicken Pox booster due to outbreak at Boy Scouts. We were told incubation period is three weeks. I double checked this with WebMd which says 14-16 days and the rash is not the first symptom and doesn't appear for 1-2 days after the first symptoms.

This is true. It's also especially annoying at Disney if you're staying in a room with only one bathroom. :scared:

While I hate being sick, the most annoying part for me was missing dinner at Ohana Thursday night and then our only day scheduled for the Studios, our last day. :(

The other difference between the virus "everywhere" and the virus at Disney is this: If you're home and you get sick, you stay home. And often, those in your household at least eat at home. If you're at Disney and you get sick, those in your party still have to go to restaurants, you leave the room when you really shouldn't, etc. It's the concentration of people and the fact that we're all eating 2 to 3 times per day in the same CS/TS places. That's what makes it easier to spread at a place like Disney.

After the 4th day, each additional day costs $3. Non-expiring is much more expensive (I don't mind "losing" at most $18 off a 10-day ticket), and if your next trip requires more tickets than you have left, you can lose a lot of money. Non-expiring only makes sense if the next trip needs only the days you have left on the ticket.

That being said, if you get sick right at the beginning of your trip, so that the extra days really cost something, you can upgrade the ticket to non-expiring then. You don't have to spend the money beforehand.

Well I am here to also report that this is not just rampant at WDW :sad2: My parents in Dallas both caught the stomach virus from 2 cousins at Christmas. My Dad never seemed to recover and was admitted to the hospital Sunday, where they realized that he wasn't still sick b/c of the stomach virus, he was now having a heart attack :sad2: (doing very well now, though!) But they said the ER was absolutely filled with people with this virus. And they were actually hesitant to move my dad from ICU to a regular room b/c of it being all over the hospital. YIKES! THEN, on the way home to Austin today, we stopped at Starbucks where I stood in line behind a lady who asked for extra bags due to her child in the car "being sick with a stomach virus." Then not 30 minutes down the road we saw a gentleman pulled over on the side of the road being most unpleasantly ill. :eek: To be fair, we were on I-35 so it stands to reason there'd be your fair share, statistically, of some ill people, but still weirded me out!

Now my hands are starting to flake from being washed so much. ;)

So I got the "bug" while staying at Disney in 2005. I was at the Caribbean Beach. I started feeling bad around 2 in the afternoon. So I went back to the room and "took care of business" about 9 pm that evening I was feeling a little better so I told my wife I would walk with her to the food court. On the way we noticed the fireworks at epcot were going off and EVERYONE was out enjoying the fireworks and the evening. So on the way I started feeling bad again and well my food was ready to make an encore presentation! I ran for bushes, but well lets just say Parent's were covering children's eyes and yelling "if you can't handle your liquor don't drink in public! It was a horrible evening, but my wife loves telling the story now!

I don't think I got it while at WDW, we returned on sun dec 21, and I started vomiting sat. night dec 27.
I think that is a little too long.....

My son had to take me to the ER monday, i had lost 4 pounds in 2 days, and was so dehydrated. the er was packed.
He called yesterday, he now has it also.

This has been the worst stomach thing I have ever been through. I honestly thought at one point I just wanted to be put in the hospital and be knocked out till it was over.

Today is the first day I can get up the stairs without stopping to sit down.

When I called to cancel a dentist apppt...she said she had already had 3 calls from people with it., so I think it is just everywhere.

so keep washing those hands folks, and if you get it, get to the doc or er if you start getting dehydrated...

Any updates on this?

I leave next Sat. (Jan. 10th) and have a serious phobia of stomach viruses. I'm freaking out, I know...call me looney, but I'm worried. Guess I'll be loading up on Purell etc.

My husband and I were down at YC for our annual trip 12/4 through the 12th. On the 6th I was severly sick both ends to the point I didn't have energy to make it back and forth and laid on floor in bathroom. After 5 hours non stop both directions we called the doctor on call and he strongly advised I get to the hospital. After an additional 2 hours and no change, husband called for ambulance to Celebration for I couldn't even stand. At emergency I had to bags of fluid and morphine for the cramps were so bad. I had to sleep there and resort with a bed pan under me for there was absolutely no control. They had me on heart monitor and did ekg for I had heart attack 4 years ago. After several hours I was released with medication to take for rest of the week to prevent throwing up and the cramps. I remember people gasping at me coming out of YC by paramedics but luckily I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see peoples faces or anything for that matter! We had to take a taxi back to YC from Celebration hospital which humiliating since I had only the hospital gown and my Minnie nightshirt on but hubby got a wheelchair to get me back to room for I didn't have no energy to even walk a few steps. Two days later husband got it but fortunately not even half as bad as I had. We were bed bound from Sunday to when we left on Friday. Missed out on our MVMCP too. I have made a decision that we will no longer travel in the winter especially to WDW the amount of times catching some type of bug down at WDW every year is out weighing the enjoyment. We're going to try for Spring thru Fall; yes it will be hot but I'd rather suffer that then this past virus. I'm going to miss WDW at Christmas but our health is far more important.

My husband and I were down at YC for our annual trip 12/4 through the 12th. On the 6th I was severly sick both ends to the point I didn't have energy to make it back and forth and laid on floor in bathroom. After 5 hours non stop both directions we called the doctor on call and he strongly advised I get to the hospital. After an additional 2 hours and no change, husband called for ambulance to Celebration for I couldn't even stand. At emergency I had to bags of fluid and morphine for the cramps were so bad. I had to sleep there and resort with a bed pan under me for there was absolutely no control. They had me on heart monitor and did ekg for I had heart attack 4 years ago. After several hours I was released with medication to take for rest of the week to prevent throwing up and the cramps. I remember people gasping at me coming out of YC by paramedics but luckily I didn't have my glasses on so I couldn't see peoples faces or anything for that matter! We had to take a taxi back to YC from Celebration hospital which humiliating since I had only the hospital gown and my Minnie nightshirt on but hubby got a wheelchair to get me back to room for I didn't have no energy to even walk a few steps. Two days later husband got it but fortunately not even half as bad as I had. We were bed bound from Sunday to when we left on Friday. Missed out on our MVMCP too. I have made a decision that we will no longer travel in the winter especially to WDW the amount of times catching some type of bug down at WDW every year is out weighing the enjoyment. We're going to try for Spring thru Fall; yes it will be hot but I'd rather suffer that then this past virus. I'm going to miss WDW at Christmas but our health is far more important.

Wow. I'm so sorry for you. That really stinks. I hope the rest of your winter goes better. Maybe you can start planning your next trip so you have something to look forward to :) .

My DH and I are going down on Feb. 6. I sure hope things are better by that time. I tend to get stomach bugs real bad and often end up needing fluids (other than that I'm healthy - its a mental thing). I have to admit your story scares me to death :scared1: .

We just got back from 6 days and saw absolutely NO evidence of the bug. I brought Purell for the first time ever, and never pulled it out of my bag!

There was an ambulance taking someone out of the ladies room at All Stars Sports, but don't know why. And I did see a CM sweeping up sawdust (remind you of elementary school?), but that was at about 9pm on New Year's Eve at DHS, so that could have been alcohol.

Never heard or overheard a single person talk about becoming ill.

(And we stayed 2 nights at BCV, which at one point was considered the epicenter).

Go and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skater thank you! We had reservations for another trip in March to WDW YC but I cancelled it. We instead our making our very 1st trip to Disneyland in May. So if anything came of it that would be it. I just was researching Noro Virus websites and the virus has been reported the highest in Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb so that is when we no longer will be traveling. Yes the virus can hit anywhere but I'd rather be home. There's no place like home and especially when you're sick. I have to say one thing and I'm only adding this for it has bothered me since we were there and then I got sick a day later but the food at the Crystal Palace on 12/5 was very poor. I should have listened to my gut feeling (no pun attended) when looking at the desert area for so many things had like a watery residue overthem like slime and the food overall wasn't near up to par and even husband stated that he no longer wants to eat there for it was so bad. Just makes me wonder if that is where we could have picked it up but I know that it could have been from anywhere at WDW. But still it makes me wonder.

Skater try to relax and have a good time. My best advise would be wash hands thoroughly and stay away from hugging the characters. Keep us posted.

Oh yeah, we didn't do any buffets, and we didn't hug any characters! Maybe that helped?

Any updates on this?

I leave next Sat. (Jan. 10th) and have a serious phobia of stomach viruses. I'm freaking out, I know...call me looney, but I'm worried. Guess I'll be loading up on Purell etc.

I am leaving for Disney on Sunday and Im freaking out too. I'm seriously stomach bug phobe and hearing these stories is killing me. I'm planning on avoiding the restrooms as much as possible so I don't hear anyone being sick and plan to wash my hands with wet ones wipes and my kids hands too all day long. I will make sure not to let my kids touch their faces at all. As far as eating out......wow that will be hard to avoid. maybe we'll live on pb&j's all week :goodvibes wish us luck!!!!

OMG this is my worst nightmare, i'm sorry this happened to you. Do you mind telling me what med the dr. gave you to stop you from throwing up?? Did it work?
thanks

I am here now and leaving to come home tomorrow - I have been here a week and have not seen any evidence of illness. I take no extra precautions (never have)...didn't Lysol my room, I ate at buffets, I was on property and off in virtually half of the Disney hotels visiting. I was in throngs of crowds. I washed my hands after I used the restroom but I don't do hand sanitizer.

Oh and I interacted with characters and talked to strangers.

Liz

lukenick1 the doctor gave me Promethazine 25 mg and it really helped. Still didn't have food the whole week; mainly ate saltines, 7up and lots of water. They also had me drink gatorade. When I was in the ambulance and first hour at hospital I was like a little kid whining, I wanted water so bad for I felt so tried out, I thought my mouth would cave in! Finally after they got me on the fluid bag they gave me ice chips. I hate munching on ice but this was like a luxury to me. I never had so much ice as I did at that emergency room. LOL

Liz, how fortunate you were to not get hit with it. I just think it all depends on each individuals body and how resistant it is. You can do all you do to keep yourself and environment clean but unfortunately you don't know who was in your room last and if prior guest in room was sick as badly all over bathroom as I was (sorry to give you a graphic idea) and how super good the housekeeping was to disinfect e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g in room. But then on that thought the next housekeeper while you are there could have the virus and she could pass it on while cleaning room. Then you have to take in account the amount of people you run into and eating at restaurants and handling of food; I could keep going on and on for it's a fierce battle to fight a virus. Everyone try not to worry too much about the virus when you're down there afterall you're at DISNEY WORLD!!!! :banana:

Thanks I actually have a rx for Promethazine that I plan to take with me. I also use it for motion sickness on the plane. Works great but makes me soooo sleepy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter