The ultimate split-stay thread

Disney Visa was running a 30-35% off discount. Maybe you can check into that. If you don't have one and open up a new card they usually have a $200.00 credit for new accounts.

How does the advanced check in where you can go straight to your room and bypass the front desk work for split stays? If I check out of my first hotel at 7:30 am and request a 1:00 pm check in at the 2nd resort- is 1:00 when the charges on my magic band will switch to the new resort? If I charge a snack at 2:00 to my MB will it be charged to my credit card on the first resort or will I be able to pay for it with gift cards at the 2nd resort? or is it recommended not to do bypass the front desk check-in for split stays???

How does the advanced check in where you can go straight to your room and bypass the front desk work for split stays? If I check out of my first hotel at 7:30 am and request a 1:00 pm check in at the 2nd resort- is 1:00 when the charges on my magic band will switch to the new resort? If I charge a snack at 2:00 to my MB will it be charged to my credit card on the first resort or will I be able to pay for it with gift cards at the 2nd resort? or is it recommended not to do bypass the front desk check-in for split stays???

You will be checked in to the first resort until you check in at the next resort. With the new system and bypassing the desk, perhaps that happens the moment you enter the new room, but I'm not entirely sure. To be safe, what I'd do is pay off your charges at the first resort the night before you check out, and then use gift cards or other payment until 4 o'clock or you check in physically at the next resort.

I could use some input from all you experts as well.

We're trying to get Pop Century for four nights. Here's our options:

Option 1:
Nights 1-2... TA discount rate
Nights 3-4... Rack rate

Option 2
Nights 1-2... TA discount
Night 3... Rack rate
Night 4... TA discount

Basically the TA discount is sold out for night 3. So, we're looking at two separate reservations (option 1), or three (option 2).

Option 2 would save us $65. Would three separate ressies be too much hassle for a four night stay in one hotel?

While it's not guaranteed you'd stay in the same room, I've often combined cash/my own points or renting points/my own points for consecutive stays at the same hotel in the same category room. I call Disney to "link" the reservations ahead of time, and then I check in at the desk and make sure that they have the reservations linked so I don't need to leave the room. I've never had to move rooms. I think they'll do everything possible to ensure you'll stay in the same room and have a seamless reservation as though it were just one. :)

Thinking about doing a split stay in November for the first time. We would check into pop on Thursday and check into akl cl on sat. We will also be doing mk that day and always do rd. would we be ok to not check in until the afternoon when we leave mk for a break around 2 or 3 or should we get up extra early and go check in first thing and try to make it to rope drop. (If we have a rental car) Another thing is I made the akl ro ressie through Expedia uk and I'll make a ro ressie for pop directly from Disney, will this complicate anything such as dinning ressies, fp+ ressies, or magic bands? I plan on only customizing the first set. Also we may or may not have a car so if we don't well just transfer our luggage from the resort. We will have to have a rental at some point though because we have a sea world day planned and were driving to ft lauderdale to sail the magic after our WDW stay. TIA for all your help! This is the most complicated trip I've ever planned!

You would be fine not getting to the next hotel until the afternoon. The only thing you need to be aware of is that your MagicBand charges will continue on the Pop reservation UNTIL you check in at AKL. However, if you want to make the most of CL, it's not a bad idea to check in that morning. Your room will likely not be ready, but you will have access to the lounge, which means you'd be able to have breakfast and one fewer restaurant charge (if that matters to you--rope drop might be more important).

Who you make your reservations through will not affect anything. Currently, I have reservations for a 4-split stay in the summer through Disney direct, through a TA, through Orbitz and through DVC points. I will customize and order the band for the first reservation, and leave the other ones alone so that they don't ship (I'll decline them at the desk). My FP+ reservations are linked to the length of my ticket (in my case, an AP), and the date of my first reservation opens the window for me to make reservations through the length of my ticket, not the length of my stay or split stay.

For dining, there have been some recent reports that people have not been able to reserve all 180+10 days with split stays. Previously, you had to do this by calling (you couldn't do it online) and the CM could override the system and make your reservations up to 10 days from the first reservation into any second or third split-stay reservations. I'm not sure if there are any recent reports on the success of this, but, there have been some people who have said lately that they've been able to make reservations ONLY for 180+however many days they were at their first resort (up to 10 days), and then they needed to call back on the 180 days before for the second resort stay. Either way, I don't think this is worth stressing over: You'll likely get all of the reservations you want if you're making them at 180+ days out.

Just wanted say thank you for this thread!! We frequent DLR and this is our first trip to WDW as a family. Our oldest is graduating from high school and her 'grad party' includes a stay at AK Kidani for two nights in the middle of our stay. I was skeptical, but I think it is totally doable now.

Our first hotel is POR and I was unable to get AP or any other discount on the rooms. Should I check daily for the possibility of a cheaper rate? Any other ideas to get a decent room rate for a family of 5? We will be there in the middle of June with the first hotel stay overlapping the spring/summer rates.

And if there are changes to our reservations to the first hotel (small chance DD17 might stay back for a few days for a scholarship luncheon), ADRs and FPs will not be affected?

ADRs will not be affected; FP+, I'm not sure--best to check @mesaboy2 thread in the Theme Park and Strategies board. For the discount, did you try Orbitz? They have a different inventory than Disney, and they may have a deeper discount than an AP rate if you combine it with an Orbitz code. If not, I'd check all of the travel sites to see what you can come up with. AP rates open up all of the time--generally more are released into inventory closer to your travel dates, so I'd keep checking if you can't get anything else anywhere. :)

@thisismyusername THANK YOU!! I managed to find a cheaper rate for our split stay and saved $700 off my original hotel reservations. Part of the problem was my husband's AP is for both DLR and WDW and despite showing up in MDE, it was not linked properly. I kept telling them (online, on the phone) I cannot see passholder savings and they kept telling me that meant there was nothing available. I booked what they gave me (some summer savings, some regular). In doing our FPs we realized there was truly something wrong because we were unable to book my DH with our family of five. One phone call and that fixed everything and I could finally see the passholder savings! I was starting to worry that this split stay was going to be too costly, but thankfully things worked out!

Has anyone done a split stay with a night at a Universal resort in the middle? Any tips for doing this? We're trying to budget for the express pass & it seems that 1 night at a Universal Hotel will get us an unlimited express pass for 2 days at Universal. Thanks for any help you can give!!

I have a question about on-line check in for my upcoming split stay..... The info I entered for my first resort is automatically added to the 2nd & I'm not able to modify it or it changes the first one. i.e. - my check-in & check-out times are very different at each place but whatever time I input last is saved for both resorts. Also my room location requests don't even compare between the 2 places - CBR & AKL. Since CBR is our first resort the room request for AKL are the same as CBR - there's no trail or floor level like there should be for AKL only the village options (Jamaica, etc). Anyone else have this problem???

Nevermind - it seems to have 'magically' figured itself out overnight & has the correct info for both resorts.

Last edited:
Hello! I am super excited to be part of the "split stay club." I have a December trip planned. One night at AKL, then 3 nights at AOA, and then 5 nights at BCV. :D This thread is awesome because I have been nervous about everything properly transferring. I just want to ask a couple of questions to make sure I am understanding everything:

1. Three stays means three sets of Magic Bands. All the bands can work at any time in the trip simply because they are linked to our account? So if my daughter wants to wear the pink band one day and the yellow the next, it is okay? I was going to label them with our names and resort, but if I don't have to... :)

2. I bought the dining plan and tickets with the AOA package. Am I correct in understanding that in order for us to go to the MK and be able to use our tickets and dp we will have to go to the AOA first and check in to activate them? We cannot go from AKL to MK? I just want to be certain on this one because it means in order to make EMH, we will have to get up even earlier to go from AKL to AOA to check in, just to go to MK. (I hope that makes sense haha). If that is the case, what time do you recommend leaving AKL to make it to AOA to make it to MK for EMH? Is that too insane?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I'm not sure about your second question, but as for #1: yes, you will get three sets of bands, each one will have your name printed on it already. You can use all of them interchangeably (and any past ones as long as the batteries haven't died).

Disney has changed a lot when it comes to split stays (I think because of all the magic bands). Both times I have been to Disney (both split stays) the above post was exactly how we had to book or stays (2 different reservations, 2 deposits, 2 meal plans-or 1 meal plan 1 RO, etc.). This year when I booked our split stay trip for march 2015 everything had changed (for the better). I booked a 3 night stay at ASMo with the dinning plan and a 6 day base ticket AND a 3 night stay at POR with the dining plan still attached. All of this is under 1 reservation (with only 1 deposit required). I double & triple checked with the CM who was helping me that this was indeed now possible. I have since received a confirmation e-mail and snail mail

Has anyone done a split stay recently and been able to have the DDP and park tickets roll over? An early poster seemed to have done that. I want to stay at POR for the whole stay but I think part of my trip will be during a non-discounted time and part during a discounted time. Any advice on this? I would like to keep the same room if possible and the DDP for the whole stay as well. for us it saves us a good amount of money but I have 2 children under 10 who are good eaters.

Thanks!

I looked through - but, didn't see a response to this (my apologies if I simply overlooked it) - can anyone advise? Can it now be booked this way?? 1 reservation / DDP for the duration / 1 set of tickets?

Thanks!

We are hoping to travel to Disney this spring with our 3 kids...6, 2, and 1 at the time. It will be our first trip to Disney as a family (we took our son for two days after a cruise last year) and my first time ever on property. We are hoping to stay 8-9 nights and be really relaxed...lots of time at the resort with some heavier park days mixed in.
I've researched the heck out of all the resorts and I just cannot decide between 3....BWV, AKV, and CBR. I think CBR is a definate because it sounds perfect for our family, and I think we are torn on the other two...DH would prefer AKV but with 3 young kids I like the walkability of BWV.
I think we are planning on doing a split stay no matter what with at least two resorts, but would we be crazy to do 3 resorts, 3 nights on each? I think the packing would be easy, and traveling with the kids wouldn't be a problem as I figured we would just repeat a 3 day rotation of heavy park day, relaxing mostly resort day, and then a mixed day with the heavy day being on the check in/check out day.
My concerns would be if the kids were having an off day on one of the heavier park days, we wouldn't have anywhere to go until our room was ready. My second concern would be since we haven't visited any of these resorts before, we would just be getting settled into one and beginning to enjoy it when we'd have to pick up and move. But particularly with our time of year (early February) and the chance that it might be too chilly to swim for hours, the kids would like a change of scenery. Plus, we will probably not be heading back for a few years, so this would be our only chance to experience the resorts for awhile. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards just two, but I just can't decide!

I looked through - but, didn't see a response to this (my apologies if I simply overlooked it) - can anyone advise? Can it now be booked this way?? 1 reservation / DDP for the duration / 1 set of tickets?

Thanks!

Split stays are still 2 reservations. You CAN purchases tickets to cover both stays. If you are staying 4 nights at GF and 4 nights at Poly, you have 8-day tickets. With the same scenario, you could pay for DDP for 4 nights with your GF stay and you'd have to have a ticketless package of 4 nights at Poly and 4 nights of the DDP.

Split stays are still 2 reservations. You CAN purchases tickets to cover both stays. If you are staying 4 nights at GF and 4 nights at Poly, you have 8-day tickets. With the same scenario, you could pay for DDP for 4 nights with your GF stay and you'd have to have a ticketless package of 4 nights at Poly and 4 nights of the DDP.

I actually did, just this, for my split stay (after posting my question)… but, thank you for taking the time to reply!! For anyone else that is curious - I was told (presumably the CM on the phone - so take it as you feel appropriate.. lol) that this wouldn't work if you're using the FD promotion - as tickets MUST be booked with both packages. I wasn't using FD anyway, so it worked just fine for me - to purchase my tickets with my first stay (to cover my second, as well).

I actually did, just this, for my split stay (after posting my question)… but, thank you for taking the time to reply!! For anyone else that is curious - I was told (presumably the CM on the phone - so take it as you feel appropriate.. lol) that this wouldn't work if you're using the FD promotion - as tickets MUST be booked with both packages. I wasn't using FD anyway, so it worked just fine for me - to purchase my tickets with my first stay (to cover my second, as well).

You're welcome. :thumbsup2 And that's correct. When using the FD promotion tickets would have to be purchases for both stays. What I described above was not taking FD into account.

Just noticed this thread. We are joining the split stay club for the first time in a couple of weeks.
I'd always thought a split stay would be too much trouble but for the plans we have for this trip it's really ideal. We are looking to use transportation as little as possible due to potential crowds. Being able to walk is huge. That means a split stay.
We arrive late in the evening and are staying 1 night in a LM room at AoA
2nd leg is 3 Nights in a TPV room at CR to attend the 24 hour day
3rd leg is 2 nights at GV room at YC to attend SWW

I love the ideas on packing. I plan to implement those. 1 bag for toiletries, 1 bag for swim wear and then a 1st half and 2nd half bag is great.

What I plan (please tell me if these are bad ideas)

Leave large bags for Bell Services to move
Leave AoA early on bus to MK, bring bag with swimwear/park needs for the day on the bus.
Walk from MK to CR, check in, leave small bags with bell services at CR to head to a park for a while. This should let us get our swim wear when we need it and not have to worry about our big bags if they take a while, right? We may not even need our swimwear but I figure it can't hurt to have it handy

For the last switch I think we'll do something similar. We plan to sleep late after the 24 hour day. We'll walk to MK, bus to YC, check in and hit the pool. We'll head to HS later in the evening. I guess I better pack what we need at HS that night just in case our bags take a long time

Understood, completely, just wanted to point out for anyone that might have wondered (since we are in the middle of FD 'season'… lol). Thanks, again!!

I'm sorry if this has already been asked/answered. I only skimmed the previous posts. How does Memory Maker work with a split stay? Is it linked to your resort, park tickets, or just your MDE account? We have an upcoming split stay at ASSp 3 nights with 7 day park tickets, then WL CL RO for 3 nights. If I add MM to the ASSp reservation, will it be active throughout our trip?

We will be doing our first split stay in a few weeks and are so excited! We will be doing CBR for three days and Yacht Club for 5. We have never stayed at either resort. We normally stay at POFQ or Coronado, so we are really looking forward to exploring new resorts!

I've been doing split stays for our last 2 trips and since they are 10 day trips there's not much alternative with the DVC resorts. That's how it started with me and at first I wasn't sure how it would work out but it actually was a lot of fun. Now, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again even if there was resort availability for our whole trip. Since we stay at the DVC resorts and check-in is generally 4:00, we just leave our luggage with bell services, if we don't have a car, and head to the parks. No real checkout is needed as they just slip invoice under the door. So we're good to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter