The ultimate split-stay thread

Well that is totally not true, I had no problem booking my +10 for other trips. I'm pretty sure our check in days are about the same, (and I had to call both times too!) so the website was probably just glitchy for us! (and I think maybe had trouble recognizing the +10 since it was a travel agency booking?)

They also told me it was a new thing with the update. She didn't sound so sure about herself. She put me on hold 5 times to find that out. But it's Disney we're talking about. Ya know? lol

I'm thinking it was just a glitch!! Yup we check in 8/26. :) 13 more days!

Yup I'm on the magical deal and I also heard it was a glitch with those bookings.

Call the dining reservations number right at 7am (est) when they open. There are voice prompts but I think you can just say operator and get to a real person. (407) 939-1947

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately that makes it 4am my time...

Hi All!
I know I should read your 11 pages of wonderfully, helpful information. But I didn't. Sorry bout that.

But I would like to confirm I have the right information regarding a split stay. We have a free dining w/tickets booked Nov 9-14th at CBR. I decided to add Nov 7-9th at CSR. I was told by a phone CM as well as on the chat function of the Disney website that tickets can be pulled from the package and used before check in at CBR. They said this would have to be done at either the front desk at CBR or at a guest service counter at the parks. Does this all sound correct to you folks???

Also on the 9th we have a dinner booked in AK that I plan on using our first free dining credit for. Do we have to go to CBR to check in to activate our dining entitlements or will they automatically become active on the morning of the 9th??

Thank you all so much for the help.

Yes, the tickets can be pulled up to 3 days before your package begins. However, I don't think it can be done at the hotel--I believe it can only be done at Guest Services at the parks and DTD.

As for the dining, you should be officially checked in (if you do online check in) at 4 p.m. on the 9th--even without going to the resort. Worst case scenario, if for some reason it doesn't work, you can always pay for dinner with your MB, and then have them refund your MB room charge and adjust your dining entitlements at the CBR concierge.

Yes, the tickets can be pulled up to 3 days before your package begins. However, I don't think it can be done at the hotel--I believe it can only be done at Guest Services at the parks and DTD.

As for the dining, you should be officially checked in (if you do online check in) at 4 p.m. on the 9th--even without going to the resort. Worst case scenario, if for some reason it doesn't work, you can always pay for dinner with your MB, and then have them refund your MB room charge and adjust your dining entitlements at the CBR concierge.

Thank you for the helpful information!

First split stay for us. We had a 4 night stay at the Poly but due to work conflict, we had to move our trip back a week. The Poly was not available and I had a hard time finding anything available. I ended up booking 2 nights at the YC and 2 nights at ASSp. I thought my kids and their friends ( 20 year olds) would be disappointed but they are excited about it. My son has always loved the ASSp.

I was contemplating a split stay since I'm having a hard time deciding which resort. I'm looking mostly for RO discounts, but since those discounts come out kind of late for my planning style, I'm wondering if I can try the following.

I am thinking of booking CR (probably 8 nights), mostly for cost. I'll probably have ADRs set by the time RO discounts come out. If there are good discounts, I'd love to change CR to the first couple of nights, then book BWI or BC for the last 6-7. If I do that, will I lose my ADRs or FP+? (Although I'm guessing it's be too early for my FP+ booking window by that point.)

TIA

I just want to get the most up to date info, so I am sorry if this was already answered. My head was spinning!

We check in for one night at Pop and do not intend to hit the parks until the next day, which is our check in day at POR. Can I just use online check in, or do I need to physically be at POR to switch over rooms? We planned to do Epcot at RD and we have dinner ADR at HS. Should I go in between to check in? Sorry, I am just even more confused now! I understand that bell service will transfer our bags. I've already paid for the POP room and have no intentions of charging anything to the room until we are settled at POR.

I appreciate any help!

So is checking in at the resort first a must if you have the dining plan? I was planning on going straight to the parks before checking into my resort #2.

I need some help with split stay confusion.
Have DVC reservations to check in AKL Nov 9 which is Mon (couldn't get Sun). We are purchasing AP's for the first time, so I assume that will be on our MB. I was thinking of booking 2 nights before at Pop Century. If I'm understanding correct our luggage will be transferred from resort 1 to resort 2 for us? Having the AP we shouldn't have to worry about going to the parks on moving day? If we would decide to purchase the dining plan for the AKL portion of our trip will we have to go to resort to check in to get our MB's activated for the dining plan? Also will Disney mail MB's for each reservation?
Thanks.

My bf and I are doing a split stay in early September :).

We booked all hotels through Orbitz with an additional 15% off code.

We arrive late Tuesday night and will check into port Orleans French quarter. It will be our first stay and the last moderate that we've never stayed at. We hope to check out yeehaw Bob and spend afternoons at the pool. We may take the water taxi to DD one afternoon, since water taxi seems like the best transportation to DD these days.

We will check out Friday and move to the all star movies. We have stayed here before and don't plan on spending much time here, this is only so we could save money and afford our next resort.

On Monday we'll be moving to akl!!!!! We usually can't afford deluxes so we are amazingly excited for this!! We check out on Wednesday so we plan on going to AK Monday morning, then spending the evening at akl and possibly having dinner at boma. We'll spend the next morning and afternoon at the hotel until our mnsshp that night.

Anyone have any good recommendations on activities at akl? I think I saw there were several animal keeper talks and flamingo feedings?

BTW, great thread @thisismyusername, very well laid out and great info! Nice job :)

Anyone have any good recommendations on activities at akl? I think I saw there were several animal keeper talks and flamingo feedings?

BTW, great thread @thisismyusername, very well laid out and great info! Nice job :)

Thanks! We love AKL, too. When you arrive at the resort, be sure to ask one of the greeters in the lobby for a list of resort activities that week. We were shocked by how much was going on at the resort--it truly could be a destination unto itself. Have a great trip!

I was contemplating a split stay since I'm having a hard time deciding which resort. I'm looking mostly for RO discounts, but since those discounts come out kind of late for my planning style, I'm wondering if I can try the following.

I am thinking of booking CR (probably 8 nights), mostly for cost. I'll probably have ADRs set by the time RO discounts come out. If there are good discounts, I'd love to change CR to the first couple of nights, then book BWI or BC for the last 6-7. If I do that, will I lose my ADRs or FP+? (Although I'm guessing it's be too early for my FP+ booking window by that point.)
TIA

No, you will not lose either your FP+ or your ADRs. :)

I just want to get the most up to date info, so I am sorry if this was already answered. My head was spinning!

We check in for one night at Pop and do not intend to hit the parks until the next day, which is our check in day at POR. Can I just use online check in, or do I need to physically be at POR to switch over rooms? We planned to do Epcot at RD and we have dinner ADR at HS. Should I go in between to check in? Sorry, I am just even more confused now! I understand that bell service will transfer our bags. I've already paid for the POP room and have no intentions of charging anything to the room until we are settled at POR.

I appreciate any help!

You do not need to go and check in at POR if you do online check in. :) Simply leave your luggage with Pop for transfer to POR, go to the park, and you can go to POR as soon as you receive your room-ready text/email. As for charging to the room, if you are using the same credit card it won't matter if you use your MB. If you do not want any charges to fall to your credit card, then I would suggest using cash or another payment method at the POS until you have checked in at POR. Alternately, you can check out of your room at Pop (you have to go to the desk to have them check you out and tell them you don't want any more charges to your MB on that reservation as you'd like it to now work for your POR reservation). At that point, your MB will be tied to the POR reservation only and you can continue to use it for room charges even before your room is ready or you physically appear at POR.

So is checking in at the resort first a must if you have the dining plan? I was planning on going straight to the parks before checking into my resort #2.

No, you do not need to as long you do online check in. The credits will appear on your band on the day of check in. If they do not for some reason, just pay for your meal via MB, and then go to your resort concierge to have them reverse the charges and deduct the appropriate entitlements from the dining plan.

I need some help with split stay confusion.
Have DVC reservations to check in AKL Nov 9 which is Mon (couldn't get Sun). We are purchasing AP's for the first time, so I assume that will be on our MB. I was thinking of booking 2 nights before at Pop Century. If I'm understanding correct our luggage will be transferred from resort 1 to resort 2 for us? Having the AP we shouldn't have to worry about going to the parks on moving day? If we would decide to purchase the dining plan for the AKL portion of our trip will we have to go to resort to check in to get our MB's activated for the dining plan? Also will Disney mail MB's for each reservation?
Thanks.

The APs will be on your MBs; however, you will need to go to Guest Services before entering the park to activate them (make sure you have your ID). Your luggage will be transferred via Bell Services; it's typically moved between 1-3. If you purchase the dining plan, it will go into effect on your check in day and you do not need to physically check in. (see above). And yes, Disney will provide MBs for each part of your trip; however, you can decline to have the extra set if you don't want them. (As someone with about 35 MBs, trust me, the fewer the better! A ton of MBs wreaks havoc with Disney's systems!)

I ended up getting everything I wanted including BOG, Ohana, Chef Mickey, CRT. I had to call BOTH times since my +10 wasn't working online for either stay of my trip. I was highly annoyed. I was then told by a CM that ALL +10 has to be done over the phone. That the app and online only lets you do 180 days but nothing more. Who knows if that is true??

I don't get this system...

This year was the first time 180+ did not open for me at the start of our (3) night pre-package split, however, our 60 day FP+ still did. I was not expecting that.

On the 180+, I thought I read back at the beginning of the year that their new system wouldn't allow it anymore on split-stays, so I never called, boo...

Possible split stay question. I have a friend who booked a stay at a resort using a promotional discount (a package with park hoppers). She now wants to add 3 days to the end of the trip, but there's no availability using the promotion she originally booked with. She's considering adding a room-only reservation for the extra 3 days at another resort she's always wanted to stay at since she can't change her existing reservation without losing her discount.

She can see online that it is cheaper to add days to her park hoppers from the package than it is to buy 3 days of hoppers separately. Can she just add days to her tickets, and use them for her second stay? That is, can they be linked to the new room/magic bands without too much trouble? If she can, what is involved in doing so. The entire trip (both resorts) would be 11 days - 8 at the first resort and 3 at the second. She called WDW but got conflicting and confusing information.

I'm doing my first split stay in October, not two but three resorts! First I'll be staying at YC for two nights, during which I'll be spending almost all my time at F&W so walking over there will make it a breeze. Then off to Pop for the majority of my vacation, and then 4 nights at AKL to round off the trip and end on a high note. I'm really excited to try YC as I've never stayed there before, and I've only been at AKL once before so being back there will be great. I got 40% off my two Deluxe reservations thanks to an epic friend who's husband is a castmember, making them affordable to me whereas I'd usually spend my whole trip at Pop.

Am I correct in thinking there should be no reason to go back to the hotel midday for check-in? My plan is to drop my luggage with bell services first thing on the way to RD, then check in at the new hotel in the evening when I get back from the fireworks, meaning there is no reason for me to leave the parks midday, or trek over to the new resort pre-parks. Am I right?

Thank you so much for this thread, I really wanted a split stay for our next trip, but with the seperate reservation number, etc it is just too complicated for me.

I'm doing my first split stay in October, not two but three resorts! First I'll be staying at YC for two nights, during which I'll be spending almost all my time at F&W so walking over there will make it a breeze. Then off to Pop for the majority of my vacation, and then 4 nights at AKL to round off the trip and end on a high note. I'm really excited to try YC as I've never stayed there before, and I've only been at AKL once before so being back there will be great. I got 40% off my two Deluxe reservations thanks to an epic friend who's husband is a castmember, making them affordable to me whereas I'd usually spend my whole trip at Pop.

Am I correct in thinking there should be no reason to go back to the hotel midday for check-in? My plan is to drop my luggage with bell services first thing on the way to RD, then check in at the new hotel in the evening when I get back from the fireworks, meaning there is no reason for me to leave the parks midday, or trek over to the new resort pre-parks. Am I right?

Correct at least in 2012. Gave them the luggage in the morning and left to the park. Bus to the new hotel at night. Luggage was in the new room. =

Thanks for the great thread....I haven't read everything, sensory overload....so I apologize if this has already been answered.

Our dates weren't flexible, with trip already booked and then Free Dining introduced, we had to book split stay to take advantage of free dining 3 days into 10 day trip. I understand from previous posts that bell services will transfer our luggage for us from resort 1 to resort 2.

From what I could interpret, if we check in online prior to day 3 to resort 2 with free dining, we can go straight to AK and access our free dining for Breakfast at Tusker?

Also, from what I am reading, since our ticket package had to be purchased with 2nd resort to qualify for Free Dining, I can activate that 2 days early, but will have to do that at the Park and not at Resort # 1?

MDE is also asking me to customize Magic Bands for each resort stay, do I have to do that or can they be linked to the one band?

Lastly, to book Fast Passes, it is only allowing me to book my fastpasses for the dates associated with my 2nd resort stay, even though I bought more tickets than days of 2nd stay.....

Thanks in advance for any help, this board is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter