The Twelve Days of Swinter: From Castaway 'Key' to a Partridge in a Palm Tree!

I love those great day to be alive days. That's the way I feel on spring Disney trips. The cold winter wears on me, so when I get to Florida with the warmth, the palm trees, and the color, I feel alive again. ::yes::

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I showed Joe the picture of the sunrise, and even with him being color-blind, his immediate response was, "When are we going?" :laughing: JUNE 2ND BABY! :woohoo:

I highly doubt I could pull my rear out of bed so early, but that would be totally worth it!

Wow what a fabulous update! :goodvibes What a wonderful morning you were having. Great views, you were so smart for getting up so early! And that breakfast looked so good. ::yes:: I can't wait to see what the rest of the day held for you. :cool1:

I need to get on the FE list for our trip. About what time did you get to Cabanas that day ?? 7 ish ?? This would be good info for us. Thanks so much for sharing your trip. 90 more days for us. I soooo can't WAIT !!

Yes, it was around 7:00 because we were back on deck before 8:00. That was really the best time to eat at Cabanas. We ate there later than that the next morning and it wasn't nearly as pleasant of an experience. Definitely go early!

I love your lighthouse shots...as you know...I took a million of them too.:goodvibes Isn't is just such a beautiful morning arriving in port. I got up at the crack of dawn each day too.
I am thinking of doing the Atlantis aquarium tour next time. Still thinking it over. Skip and I did it on our own many years ago and enjoyed it, bu with it being just Claire and I, I think I'll do it through Disney. She can get a glimpse of how pretty the place is then too. I am not much of a swimmer, so I'll leave the swimming for CC and the ship.
My Mom keeps pushing me to do the dolphin encounter again...and she wants my sisters family to do it as well. But it is a lot of money, and if I go to WDW after the cruise, I really need to watch my spending this time around. I still have a long time to think it over. I know Claire wants to snorkel but I am thinking of doing that on CC.

I know! I was thinking about your TR when I was writing that post and how similar our Nassau days were. And I don't know if I saw the lighthouse on your TR or Sheree's or where I saw it first, but I am so glad that I did. I didn't even know there was one and I would have hated to miss it.

I agree that the dolphin encounter can be expensive. I don't think we would do it again anytime soon. I'd love to do the dolphin swim next time but that is outrageous! I think I'd actually rather go to Discovery Cove than do the swim at BL, but again, very expensive.

We did the snorkeling at CC and really enjoyed it. I've read they have a shark fence in the family beach area and that was really important to me! :scared1: :rotfl: I don't think I'd be brave enough to snorkel out in the open sea.

Maybe your family should just split up and do different excursions that day. It's not like you won't have plenty of time to spend together doing other things.

LOL! I guess that does sort of negate the whole tripod thing. I guess a fast lens would be helpful so you could keep the shutter speed up.

I had breakfast, so you are now cleared to post more food photos. :thumbsup2 I could never do a long cruise. I'd gain way too much weight. Heck, even free dining in the parks does me in!

Thanks for the kind comments. I love photographing Disney. But put me in some scenic national park......... and I really am in heaven. Standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon at sunrise.......... on Sanibel Island at sunset........ man, I have to get working on some summer vacation plans. Oh, and I should move. I live WAY too far away from anything pretty! :rotfl:

Well, I've got one lens and that's the one that is permanently attached to the camera! :rotfl2: One day I'm going to bite the bullet and get an SLR. One day. Every time I see your pictures, I get really motivated to make the switch, but I just hate how long it takes to learn and get good at using a new piece of equipment. I wish they came with a live tutor. :laughing:

Rinky - Happy New Year! Watching the sunrise is the way I like to start my days on vacation, I love it just on the balcony of wherever we are staying, but from the bow of the ship with the wind in your hair was the best, the video really made me want to be there with you guys :goodvibes

The food looked scrumptious and my DH is a breakfast nut too that is why we always have to go to a TS or buffet and early.

The pictures of the lighthouse and pulling into port were gorgeous. I like lighthouses too and was just reading on the cruise thread about all the lighthouses you pass on the cruise to Canada.(I am 99% sure we are going to book one, just not sure when yet)

Can not wait to see and read more about your day in port!!!

I love a sunrise too. I always feel so good when I make the effort to get up early and see it. So worth it!

What is it about men and breakfast? Almost every man I know is crazy over breakfast. I mean, I like it, but it's not my favorite meal by any means. :confused3

Oh, I would love to do that Canada cruise! And Alaska, and Hawaii, and Europe... :rolleyes1 You HAVE to give us all the details if you do end up going. I think that would be an awesome cruise. I've actually looked into it and the pictures are gorgeous!

I love those great day to be alive days. That's the way I feel on spring Disney trips. The cold winter wears on me, so when I get to Florida with the warmth, the palm trees, and the color, I feel alive again. ::yes::

Aren't those the best days! Sadly, I don't have enough of them in my everyday life. I guess most people don't. I need to find more joy in my day-to-day life though b/c I am so very blessed compared to many others and I just forget that sometimes. But I totally agree with you that you do feel alive after a long winter, or even more so for me, at the end of a long summer when that fresh, crisp fall air starts to roll in! :cloud9:

Those pictures are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! I showed Joe the picture of the sunrise, and even with him being color-blind, his immediate response was, "When are we going?" :laughing: JUNE 2ND BABY! :woohoo:

I highly doubt I could pull my rear out of bed so early, but that would be totally worth it!

Thanks! You are going to LOVE that cruise!!! I can't wait to hear all about your trip and see your pictures. I know Henry is going to go nuts with all the fun stuff there is to do!

You really need to roll on out of that bed early! The reward is great! I can relate though. I normally am NOT an early riser on vacation. You'll see later in the TR that it caught up with us too! :rolleyes1

Wow what a fabulous update! :goodvibes What a wonderful morning you were having. Great views, you were so smart for getting up so early! And that breakfast looked so good. ::yes:: I can't wait to see what the rest of the day held for you. :cool1:

See Shelly, I told you there was way more good than bad. I hope these next several updates will make you feel better about your cruise. It's going to be awesome! :woohoo:

Well, I've got one lens and that's the one that is permanently attached to the camera! :rotfl2: One day I'm going to bite the bullet and get an SLR. One day. Every time I see your pictures, I get really motivated to make the switch, but I just hate how long it takes to learn and get good at using a new piece of equipment. I wish they came with a live tutor. :laughing:

Sorry about that. Sometimes i forget and just assume everyone is lugging around a 30 pound sack of camera gear! :lmao: OK, maybe it's not THAT heavy, but it sure seems close some days.

If you ever do jump into a DSLR, there's lots of help over on the DIS photography forum. It's not nearly as complicated as it seems.

Your pictures turned out great. And honestly, some point & shoot cameras allow you to control shutter speed and ISO as well.

Just wanted to let you know that I am still reading along and I love all of your pictures. I miss the ocean so and really do not enjoy living in a land locked state in the middle of the country.

Hi there Rinky! I'm finally getting caught up over here. I really enjoyed your update and photos! How funny that you left Mr. Gripey Man to our husband....:laughing:
We really enjoyed our meals in Cabanas too! It's a great spot to grab a quick breakfast or lunch!

Hi Rinky! It's your long lost VA DIS friend!:flower3:

I had fully intended on catching up over break but that just didn't work out for me...lol! How come school weeks never go that fast??? Between Christmas fun, family stuff, and my dad in the hospital almost the whole break, the days just got away from me!

But, I am caught up now and am loving everything. I'm using your report as my personal "getting ready to cruise" manual. I need to start taking notes so I don't forget anything. We have to pay off our cruise this month and we are in the 90 day range now. Always starts to get real then...I only hope the weeks fly by...February and March are always looooooong school months!

I am really debating what to do on our Bahamas day. I know we all would love the dolphin encounter. But, Atlantis just looks like so much fun and I know my kids would love it. I guess I need to get all the info together and present it to them and see what they think.

Sorry about that. Sometimes i forget and just assume everyone is lugging around a 30 pound sack of camera gear! :lmao: OK, maybe it's not THAT heavy, but it sure seems close some days.

If you ever do jump into a DSLR, there's lots of help over on the DIS photography forum. It's not nearly as complicated as it seems.

Your pictures turned out great. And honestly, some point & shoot cameras allow you to control shutter speed and ISO as well.

My camera will let me do all that stuff, but I am perpetually stuck in auto mode. I always feel rushed to move on when we are traveling. My DH and DD are not huge fans of all my picture taking, so many times I just have to snap it and run and I just don't have the time or mental fortitude to think through what I need to do with the camera in a particular situation. :laughing: Sometimes I think it would be great if I could just go off by myself for a while and take my time and do all the photographing I want to without being nagged. But then I am quickly reminded, that my trips wouldn't mean anything to me without them. So I just do the best I can in auto, and occasionally I get crazy and try other things. :laughing: It just usually doesn't turn out well for me b/c when you're on vacation, that's not the time to be practicing! I need to do that beforehand! I actually went this time with a brand spanking new underwater camera and had only used it twice! :scared1: I don't recommend that strategy! :rotfl: Bottom line... I need to spend a little less time cleaning toilets and washing clothes and more time playing with my camera! ;) Problem is... no one wants to clean the toilets in my stead. :rolleyes:

Just wanted to let you know that I am still reading along and I love all of your pictures. I miss the ocean so and really do not enjoy living in a land locked state in the middle of the country.

Thank you!

I think that would be the worst thing about living in the middle of the country. I've always felt really lucky to live so close to the ocean. We can make a day trip out of it if we want. We don't do it often enough, but at least we have the option. We can take several beach trips a year really cheap. I guess for you guys going to the beach is just as major of a trip as going to Disney. :sad2: Sounds like good grounds for taking a cruise to me. :rolleyes1

Hi there Rinky! I'm finally getting caught up over here. I really enjoyed your update and photos! How funny that you left Mr. Gripey Man to our husband....:laughing:
We really enjoyed our meals in Cabanas too! It's a great spot to grab a quick breakfast or lunch!

Wasn't that nice of me. DH was thrilled that I did that to him. :laughing:

We thought Cabanas was really good. It was just basic stuff, but all good.

Hi Rinky! It's your long lost VA DIS friend!:flower3:

I had fully intended on catching up over break but that just didn't work out for me...lol! How come school weeks never go that fast??? Between Christmas fun, family stuff, and my dad in the hospital almost the whole break, the days just got away from me!

But, I am caught up now and am loving everything. I'm using your report as my personal "getting ready to cruise" manual. I need to start taking notes so I don't forget anything. We have to pay off our cruise this month and we are in the 90 day range now. Always starts to get real then...I only hope the weeks fly by...February and March are always looooooong school months!

I am really debating what to do on our Bahamas day. I know we all would love the dolphin encounter. But, Atlantis just looks like so much fun and I know my kids would love it. I guess I need to get all the info together and present it to them and see what they think.

Hello stranger! I thought of you just yesterday and wondered where you were hiding. I know how busy my life is though just working part time from home, so I know yours is extra busy. And yes, I remember how fast those school breaks would fly by yet the school days seemed to drag on for eternity! :sad2:

I highly recommend taking notes! :laughing: Seriously. I started out reading several cruise reports and kept thinking that I could remember it all and then realized that there was no way. I DID actually start taking notes and it came in handy.

I think you can't go wrong with BLI or Atlantis. We didn't go with Atlantis because I've read that their water rides are really intense and I knew it would not be fun for DD and me (aka... ride chickens). DH would love it though! If you guys are thrill junkies, then go for it. I think we might do it when DD gets older though. But another thing I considered was that one day at the beach wouldn't be enough for me. I had waited my whole life to see that gorgeous, clear tropical water and I wanted more than one day. Going to BLI gave us two days at the ocean and that was perfect for us. We loved BLI so much that we ended up staying until the last boat left. It was wonderful!! I guess it just depends on what you like and what you are looking for. If you want thrills and rides, then do Atlantis. If you want more relaxing time, then do BLI. It's going to knock your socks off either way! ;)

Loved the pictures of the sunrise!!! What a gorgeous view!!!
I'm really really looking forward to sailing on the Dream!!!!!

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Hi, Rinky! I've not been on the DIS too much lately except for reading the Rumors board, but I decided to catch up on everyone's TRs. I used to enjoy reading them so much, so I don't know why I stopped!:confused3

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello. Your DD has changed so much since your last trip! They grow up and it's wonderful and awful all at the same time! :lovestruc:sad1:

The pictures of the sky at sunrise are enough to convince me to go on a cruise. Simply gorgeous! I can't wait to read more.

Hi there! I'm joining in a little late, but I read your last TR and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to find you had started a new one! Your daughter has really grown up! She's so cute. :) Really enjoying so far!

Wow .. your trip is just convincing me more and more to do this cruise thing ! It all just looks so amazing and I think I need to do this soon !
After our next trip I'm going to start planning it .. :thumbsup2

Love the TR!!! More please!

Welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm working on another update. :)

Loved the pictures of the sunrise!!! What a gorgeous view!!!
I'm really really looking forward to sailing on the Dream!!!!!

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

It was a cloudy day so it wasn't the most perfect sunrise ever, but it was still beautiful. You are going to have a fantastic time on the Dream!

Hi, Rinky! I've not been on the DIS too much lately except for reading the Rumors board, but I decided to catch up on everyone's TRs. I used to enjoy reading them so much, so I don't know why I stopped!:confused3

Anyhow, I just wanted to say hello. Your DD has changed so much since your last trip! They grow up and it's wonderful and awful all at the same time! :lovestruc:sad1:

The pictures of the sky at sunrise are enough to convince me to go on a cruise. Simply gorgeous! I can't wait to read more.

Well hello there! I'm so glad you found me again!

Yes they do grow up fast. :sad1: She doesn't have that baby face to me anymore and that makes me sad. I hate it when kids get their permanent teeth in b/c it instantly makes them look so much older. :sad2:

I think every Disney lover needs to try the cruise at least once. I know it isn't something that everyone will love, but you'll never know if you don't go. I hemmed and hawed forever about going, but I am SO glad that I finally did it! :thumbsup2 Only problem is that it has opened up a whole new can of travel worms for me and now I want to go to Europe and Canada and Hawaii and Alaska... :rolleyes1

Hi there! I'm joining in a little late, but I read your last TR and really enjoyed it, so I was excited to find you had started a new one! Your daughter has really grown up! She's so cute. :) Really enjoying so far!

Thank you! And WELCOME! I'm so glad you found out about the report! I'm always glad to have more friends join in on the fun!

Wow .. your trip is just convincing me more and more to do this cruise thing ! It all just looks so amazing and I think I need to do this soon !
After our next trip I'm going to start planning it .. :thumbsup2

Yay! I say go for it! Life is short, vacation hard! :laughing: And there's LOTS more to come in this TR that should seal the deal for you. Anyone who can see Castaway Cay and not want to go... well, they are just strange! :rotfl:

So I left off with us heading out for our exciting excursion on Blue Lagoon Island! Our stateroom hostess left our dolphin encounter tickets in our room the night before, which was nice because we didn’t have to go pick them up.

We were told to report to the Buena Vista Theater (where they show movies) at 9:30 to get checked in and receive our ID bracelets. They also provided towels for everyone so you don’t need to bring your own. This whole process went really smoothly and quickly.

We all walked off the ship together as a group with our CM leading the way. This was our first time entering a foreign country so we were all pretty excited and wondered what in the world this adventure would hold for us? :yay:

First steps outside of the good ol’ U.S.A.

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

When I looked back at the ship, I thought it was cool how you could see the Aquaduck hanging off the side.

IMG_1717.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

You walk across this short bridge and the Blue Lagoon boat is waiting just on the other side. You don’t actually go into Nassau.

IMG_1719.jpg

The Nassau Welcome Center and Marketplace

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

This is the type of boat that takes you over to the island. The boat has a snack bar with chips, candy bars, and canned soft drinks. There is also a bathroom on board.

IMG_1721.jpg

We were told that it would be a 30 minute boat ride to the island, but it was more like 20. We took a seat on the outer edge of the boat so that I could take pictures during the ride.

IMG_1724.jpg

They give you a narrated tour on the way to the island and tell you about the area and what celebrities live in the oceanfront homes there. We first sailed by the lost city of Atlantis.

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1735.jpg

I LOVED this row of apartments or condos or whatever they were. This is what I picture in my mind when I think of a house in the Bahamas, and it looked so much like the Caribbean Beach Resort that we would be staying at later in the trip.

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

Looking back at the port. Royal Caribbean’s ‘Allure of the Seas’ is the ship on the right. It was enormous! (But bigger isn’t always better!:snooty:)

IMG_1745.jpg

I leaned over the edge of the boat and took a picture of the water. I was so excited to finally see it for myself and it looked even more beautiful than it does in pictures and commercials. The water was pretty deep where we were and you could still see all the way to the bottom!

IMG_1747.jpg

There were many multimillion dollar celebrity homes along the shoreline. I was sitting on the wrong side of the boat to get any good pictures though, but I took plenty on the way back. I’m not sure which house this was but we were told that Oprah, Chuck Norris, Tiger Woods and some famous baseball player (his name escapes me right now) all live in this area. Must be nice!

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

Continued in next post

JUST GORGEOUS!

That water is incredible. How awesome to be going on a dolphin adventure! So how warm was it that day?

DD went up to the front of the boat so she could see better and ruin the hair that I had already fixed twice that day. :rolleyes: Unfortunately, the bad hair day pattern was destined to continue... for both of us.

IMG_1753.jpg

It wasn’t long before we could see the lookout tower at the entrance of Blue Lagoon Island!

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

I started snapping away before we even got off the boat. This is part of the beach area. Look at that water! :worship:

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

DD spotted this water play area almost instantly and of ‘course she wanted to know if she could play on all the blow up stuff. I knew we were not allowed to without paying extra since it isn’t included in the dolphin encounter excursion, but DH insisted on asking one of the workers on the boat. His response was “Absolutely! You are welcome to use all the facilities here all day.” :confused3 I was certain that this was incorrect from what I had read here on the DIS, but I thought maybe the policy had recently changed. Regardless, DD now had her heart set on checking out those water slides and floats.

IMG_1771.jpg

Time to get off the boat!

IMG_1772.jpg

They had a changing area if you needed it, but we already had our suits on so we just put our things in a locker (free of charge) and went on to the orientation. We were sent to a little outdoor classroom where we learned about the anatomy of dolphins and the appropriate ways to touch them. We also learned where NOT to touch them if you know what I mean. That provoked a question or two from my little Encyclopedia Britannica for which I quickly responded with, “Oh, look at the pretty butterfly over there!” :rolleyes1 Stellar parenting… I know! :rotfl:

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Then we were sent to a floating platform where we all sat down and waited for our turn to get into the water.

IMG_1762.jpg

P1000436.jpg

More and more excited families came and sat down until the platform was almost full. And that’s when it happened… the very last person to join our group was ‘that woman’… you know the one that everyone gasps at because they simply cannot believe their eyes. :eek: Yep… of all the groups doing the dolphin encounter that day, we had to be the lucky ones to be graced with her presence. Maybe I’m just a backwoods hillbilly who knows nothing about the world outside of rural North Carolina, but I can honestly say that I have never seen anything like that, live and in person, in my life.

‘That woman’ marched herself down to the platform, proud as a peacock, wearing practically nothing. Maybe I’m weird, but I tend to classify strings as practically nothing. Her bathing suit was pretty much the equivalent of a few fig leaves strung onto a piece of dental floss, and let’s just say that the floss on her backside was playing hide and go seek where the sun don’t shine. :crazy2:

DH turned to me and said, “Well Dorothy… I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore!” :upsidedow Little did we know this was just a foreshadowing of things to come during our time in this foreign land!

And there we all sat, a bunch of Mickey Mouse loving families, all there to spend an hour fulfilling wholesome childhood dreams of frolicking with Flipper when she made her grand entrance. I do believe you could have heard a pin drop. And of ‘course, in true 7 year old fashion, my DD blurts out, “What in the world is that woman wearing?”

My response…… “Not much!”

I tried to just put it out of my mind and focus on the fun about to be had. After all, the dolphin encounter would only last an hour and then I’d never have to see her overexposed bum again, right? Dum, dum, dum! :sad2:

Thankfully, the trainer came on out and got things moving along which focused our attention elsewhere. He called for one of the dolphins and out of nowhere he appeared!

This is 6 year old Salvador!

P1000441.jpg

Remember how I told you this was destined to be a bad hair day? Well, my plan was for us to keep our hair dry until after our family picture had been taken. However, Salvador had other plans. The trainer told him to go around and welcome everyone, and boy did he take that to heart!

Click on the picture (21 sec. video)

We got drenched from head to toe! There was no hope for our hair at that point but how could I hold a grudge against such a handsome fellow!

P1000445.jpg

Continued in next post

ACK!!! I am not seeing a next post. :eek:

I am trying to be patient and remember you have a life and are doing us a favor with this trip report. I am trying.. really I am! ;)

Loving the TR by the way. :goodvibes

And that’s when it happened… the very last person to join our group was ‘that women’… you know the one that everyone gasps at because they simply cannot believe their eyes. :eek:

Uh.......... HELLO?????????

You had a camera in your hands.

WHERE IS THE PHOTO??????????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter