The Trip That's Happening a Year Early - A Marathon Weekend 2017 PTR Update:12/22 - Day Seven Plans

I'm with you on the FP thing - I like just having the three rides planned out in advance and then I can decide whether to plan out the rest of the day or just play it by ear.
At DL I barely even bother with FP ... it's too much hassle to be running around the whole time.

We usually use a FP+ for the Disney Pals at Adventurer's Outpost. I don't know that it's definitely necessary, but it does shorten the wait a bit, and it's a cute M&G.

In terms of MK - we almost always grab a FP+ for Peter Pan. We really like it, and the lines can get crazy long, so unless you're planning to hit it at rope drop, it makes sense to get FP+ for it.

The Beach Club..our favorite! We honeymooned there last fall and I have been back and forth on a few of the other deluxe resorts but just can't seem to bring myself to book anywhere else! Maybe next time LOL!

I've never checked out that resort, although I did walk through the Yacht Club on our last trip - wow! So beautiful! Will you be creating a PTR or doing a Trip Report once you're back?

We have a few days of overlap on our trips! Do any of our park days line up?

I love Disney shopping! Can't wait to see the dresses.

I'm hoping our TeePublic order will be in early next week, so then I will take pictures and show you everything I have for options for Disney clothes!

SE is a good choice for Epcot. We got in slower times and maybe the line isn't actually long but it always looks it.

I imagine we'll end up with that for one of our choices...

Love this!!!! I am so glad you booked the DL trip!!! We are going to DL in November and WDW in February! So much Disney, although its really never enough Disney!

I just started reading your DL PTR today and am all caught up! You're so close to that trip now!

You have a very good plan for your FP's! I agree you should get one for Adventure's Outpost at AK; wait times can get high so if you don't want KRR definitely do that. I do like Kali, but I've heard from a few people that the equivalent in DL is much better so you may be disappointed (and as you said, cold!) if you do ride it.

I just remember getting soaked on the one in California (although it was warm that day, so I dried off fairly quickly). I was wearing sweaters most days on our last trip to Florida, so I'm scared the weather will be more of the same... Also, I really want to try and meet as many characters as possible on this trip!

Also in HS, TSMM has had considerably lower waits since the 3rd track opened so maybe use your tier 1 on RnRC or GMR? You definitely need to ride GMR this trip! I'm hoping it doesn't go away since it's one of only 2 original attractions left in HS (and Chris love it) but I'm afraid its days are numbered :(

We kept checking on the wait times for GMR on our last trip, but it was almost always 60+ minutes - no thanks! We won't wait that long for anything. I've been checking the wait times on the MDE App, and I have noticed TSMM times have shortened up... We are also planning on being there that day at rope drop...

I need to check out TeePublic, I've heard of it but I've never looked at it. Not that I really need any more Disney clothes but that doesn't mean I can't look, right lol?

They sell so much more than Disney tshirts! And, they have sales fairly frequently! Normally, all of their tshirts are $20 but both orders I've placed have been during a sale time, so I only paid $14/shirt! (Which is still over $18 after the exchange rate...). I could spend so much money on that site!

I'm with you on the FP thing - I like just having the three rides planned out in advance and then I can decide whether to plan out the rest of the day or just play it by ear.
At DL I barely even bother with FP ... it's too much hassle to be running around the whole time.

At DL we typically grab FP for the big rides (Radiator Springs Racers, Space Mountain, etc), but it's too stressful to be running around the entire time getting them!

We usually use a FP+ for the Disney Pals at Adventurer's Outpost. I don't know that it's definitely necessary, but it does shorten the wait a bit, and it's a cute M&G.

I'm sold on wanting this to be one our FP+.

In terms of MK - we almost always grab a FP+ for Peter Pan. We really like it, and the lines can get crazy long, so unless you're planning to hit it at rope drop, it makes sense to get FP+ for it.

Whenever we walked past Peter Pan, it always had a crazy line, which I don't really get. It's a ride that just didn't really do it for me...

And Another ADR...

So, there was one restaurant at Disney Springs whose menu I kept coming back to. I read a review of it a few months back on one of @pepperandchips dining reports, and it's stuck with me. We didn't really have any open spaces to squeeze another ADR into, but I kept cycling back to read this menu. I mentioned it to Luke, and he went ahead and booked a time for us on the night we arrive (without even looking at the menu himself)! We land at 4:45, and our reservation is at 7:45 so we should have lots of time to get to OKW, check in and get to Disney Springs before we have to check in to....

Chef Art Smith's Homecoming!
Chef-Arts-Florida-Fish-Camp_Full_28412.jpg

*not my picture*

I don't know why I'm so excited to eat here, the menu is pretty basic, but it all sounds like it's right up my alley! I showed Luke the menu last night, along with Melinda's review of it and he found a few things that he's interested in :) I honestly think we are done now with our ADR's, I don't even know where we would fit another one in!

I created a spreadsheet last night for our trip, it's all colour-coded and looks so pretty! Once Fastpasses have been selected and added into the spreadsheet, I will post it on here.

I still want to book a dessert party, but we're holding on to hope they will announce something for DHS for January. There is a new Star Wars movie coming out in December, so I'd have to guess they will bring Star Wars fireworks back again? And yes, I've mentioned before I've never watched the Star Wars movies, but I loved the Symphony in the Sky Fireworks last year, and we both love Star Tours! If they don't announce anything, we'll probably just go with a dessert party at Magic Kingdom on one of our two nights there.

I'm going to start a PTR for our Disneyland trip this weekend, so I'll post the link to that once it's up :)

Hey! I read this morning that they've opened up reservations for Club Villain for (I think) Fridays in January!! Just sayin' :D
I feel about The Boathouse like you do about Homecoming. I keep looking at the menu and really want to try it, I think we'd all like it, I just don't know where to fit it in!

Can't wait for your Disneyland PTR!!!!

Homecoming looks delish I feel like that will be a great welcome home meal!!! Get it --- homecoming hahaha

I can't wait to see your spreadsheet! Mine are pretty plain in black and white! I should spruce it up with some color!

Hey! I read this morning that they've opened up reservations for Club Villain for (I think) Fridays in January!! Just sayin' :D

No! Don't tell me these things! We're only there for one Friday, and there's no way we can make that work since Luke runs his half marathon on Saturday morning. I'll just cross my fingers for the *unlikely* chance they add it to Mondays as well...

I feel about The Boathouse like you do about Homecoming. I keep looking at the menu and really want to try it, I think we'd all like it, I just don't know where to fit it in!

Maybe that means you just need to plan another trip? :thumbsup2

Can't wait for your Disneyland PTR!!!!

I hope to get it started tonight!

Homecoming looks delish I feel like that will be a great welcome home meal!!! Get it --- homecoming hahaha

:rotfl:

I can never go wrong with mashed potatoes!

I can't wait to see your spreadsheet! Mine are pretty plain in black and white! I should spruce it up with some color!

I have a seperate colour for each park and each resort we have ADR's for. It's almost a little hard on the eyes with all the different colours haha.

Homecoming looks so good! We're booking it for May.

I'll be sure to post pictures of our meals on my Instagram! I'm so excited to eat there :)

I've never checked out that resort, although I did walk through the Yacht Club on our last trip - wow! So beautiful! Will you be creating a PTR or doing a Trip Report once you're back?

We have a few days of overlap on our trips! Do any of our park days line up?

I'm not sure yet! Planning is one of my favorite parts of a Disney Vacation so I might do both the PTR and a Trip Report! I think we will be at MK on the 11th..we also have early breakfast reservations before park opening but at Crystal Palace. Whenever you do Beaches and Cream you can check out the BC..it is beautiful and you can't beat the location!

I've been hearing some good things about Homecoming ... so I'm interested to see if you guys enjoy it.

I'm off to check out your Disneyland PTR ... I love the title :)

I'm not sure yet! Planning is one of my favorite parts of a Disney Vacation so I might do both the PTR and a Trip Report! I think we will be at MK on the 11th..we also have early breakfast reservations before park opening but at Crystal Palace. Whenever you do Beaches and Cream you can check out the BC..it is beautiful and you can't beat the location!

Let me know when you start your report, I'd love to read it! I agree, I love the whole planning part of the trip :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the Beach Club :)

I've been hearing some good things about Homecoming ... so I'm interested to see if you guys enjoy it.

I'm off to check out your Disneyland PTR ... I love the title :)

I actually read the menu for Homecoming again last night, and I'm so happy with our decision to add it!

Decisions...
disney-dream.jpg
So, Disney Cruise Line released their itineraries for early 2018, and I think I really want to try out a cruise... Our plan is to head back to WDW in January 2018 so Luke can run his first ever full marathon, and I would love to do the Castaway Cay Challenge. I can look at schedules for previous years, and assume to do the CC Challenge we would need to be on the Disney Dream that departs January 8, 2018 - but I don't know this for a fact. RunDisney hasn't officially announced dates for Marathon Weekend 2018. So do I put a deposit on a room for that sailing and then possibly move it to a different date? Can I even do that? Or am I locked into the cruise I put my deposit on? I've never cruised before, so I have so many questions!

I have a GRAND IDEA for our 2018 trip, but a lot of things need to fall into place before any of it becomes a reality (and Luke needs to agree to go along with my crazy plans and ideas haha). Hopefully I can share with you over the next few months (I should discuss one thing in particular with Luke before putting it onto the internet haha).

Our final TeePublic order showed up, and I took pictures to share with you all :) Work has just been so insanely busy the last week or so that I'm exhausted by the time I get home at night. I also need to finish my trip report from last January! I've told myself it must be done before we leave for our next trip... in 69 days! It's getting so close to FP+ day!

For cruises it all has to be paid by 45 days before so you can cancel or move things around till then as far as I know.

For cruises it all has to be paid by 45 days before so you can cancel or move things around till then as far as I know.
Perfect! I talked to a co-worker who is a travel agent on the side, and I currently have a room on hold!
I was just coming to tell you this! I've never cruised before but since becoming a TA I'm finding out all the good stuff about the cruises, especially Disney ones. Hope you guys can make it work!

A Cruise would be sooooo fun! I am going on my first one this December (on Royal Caribbean though) A Disney one sounds like it would be amazing, especially if it also included a stay at WDW before or after!!! Your WDW trip is getting so close! Can't wait to hear about your FP+ plans!

I was just coming to tell you this! I've never cruised before but since becoming a TA I'm finding out all the good stuff about the cruises, especially Disney ones. Hope you guys can make it work!

We've now paid the deposit for a 4 night cruise on the Disney Dream in January 2018! I'm so excited :) I looked at the remaining balance, and have already figured out how much we need to save/pay on it each month, and it's a completely reasonable number! So if all goes to plan, the cruise will be 100% paid off 3 months before we even go on it, so no need to worry about interest on credit cards :) If only all our trips could be that way...

A Cruise would be sooooo fun! I am going on my first one this December (on Royal Caribbean though) A Disney one sounds like it would be amazing, especially if it also included a stay at WDW before or after!!! Your WDW trip is getting so close! Can't wait to hear about your FP+ plans!

You'll have to let me know how your cruise is! I'm still 14 months away from the one we booked, but I'm already nervous haha. I have no fear of flying, but gigantic boats seem scary to me. I told Luke my first cruise had to be Disney, and he was more than fine with that!

Right now, if the dates for Marathon Weekend 2018 turn out to be what I expect, we'd be looking at flying down on a Tuesday, running the 5km on Thursday, Luke would run the full marathon on Sunday and then Monday morning we get up and head to the cruise.

As of today, we are 9 weeks away from going to Florida! I can't believe how fast time is flying by! Fastpass day is this Friday morning :)

Day One Plans (January 3, 2017)
9 weeks until WDW!
3 days until FP day!

I figured I'm close enough to the trip now to start going over our daily itinerary, which makes me so excited!

I should actually start before our actual vacation day. I've also found out that the shop I work at is closing down for the week between Christmas and New Year's, so when I leave work on December 23rd, 2016 I won't be back to my office until January 16th, 2017! This is actually pretty nice, because it means I'll be able to get all of my Christmas decorations taken down and put away, and have our suitcases all packed and ready to go well in advance so we're not scrambling around last minute. Luke and I both live in different provinces than our families, so Christmas is a really relaxing time for us, where we just hang out with each other. My mom lives in the same city as us, but she's pretty sure she's going to go back to New Brunswick for Christmas this year (my grandma is still in the hospital, over 3 months later).

We're still not sure what we're doing with our pets while we're away this time. Depending on my step-dad's work schedule, my mom will sometimes come stay in our house with the cats/dogs/degus. Sometimes the dogs go to a kennel and my mom just stops by once a day to check on the cats and degus. Sometimes the dogs go to my best friend's acreage. I actually have a friend moving to Edmonton from New Brunswick, and I told her she could stay in our house rent free for the month of January if she would look after the pets. So, we'll see what happens. If we need to drop the dogs off somewhere, that will be done on January 2nd.

January 3rd will be a super early wake-up. The airport in Edmonton is well outside the city to the south (it's like 45 minutes to an hour from downtown). Luckily, we live close to the perimeter highway that circles our city, so our drive to airport is usually only around 20-25 minutes. We'll be going early enough to avoid morning rush hour, but fingers crossed it isn't snowing that morning! Our first flight is domestic, which is good - we don't have to go through customs/immigration first thing. Our first flight leaves at 6:25am, but is only a 55 minute flight to Calgary. From there, we need to get through customs over to the US Departures. We do have a 2.5 hour layover, so that should give us plenty of time to grab breakfast from somewhere as well. Once we board our plane in Calgary, it's straight to Orlando! It's a 4 hour and 51 minute flight, and we cross two time zones, so we lose two hours of our day going there. We land at MCO at 4:46pm.

As soon as we land and I turn my phone back on, I should receive the text that our room is ready! We'll head to Old Key West on the Magical Express, and go to the check-in counter to pick up our Magicbands (they won't ship them to addresses outside the US). We'll probably go check out our room and balcony, and then we'll be heading over to Disney Springs on the boat! I'm so excited for this!

OldKeyWest_ferry3.jpg

Depending on what time we get to Disney Springs, we might look around for a bit, or grab a drink at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. Then at 7:30 we have to check in for our reservation at Chef Art Smith's Homecoming! I'm still undecided on what I'll order to eat, but I imagine we'll both be hungry! I'm leaning towards either the fried chicken or the chopped BBQ pork plate - my only concern with ordering chicken is that I don't eat dark meat, and they tend to load you up with thighs and legs... Luke has mentioned the Fried Chicken Sandwich, so that could be a possibility for him. The hummingbird cake also sounds like it's right up Luke's alley, so I'm sure that will be placed on our table at some point. The drink menu also sounds pretty fantastic!

We'll roll ourselves out of the restaurant and back over to Old Key West, where our Garden Grocer order should have arrived. We'll grab that and head to our room, do a bit of unpacking and settling in, and then call it a night!

First day plans sound great! Staying so close to Disney Springs will be really convenient ... makes it so easy to get over there for browsing, shopping, and eating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter