• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The trip is off

I have been lingering over all the great posts and finally decided to jump in here.
It is great that the OP seems to be listening and trying to amend her approach with her step children based on what strangers are saying. I really hope she can come to understanding about money with DH and with his children.
This is my however:
While I have never been a stepchild (well not until I was 32 years of age :upsidedow) and never been a step-parent it still seems clear to me that $ earned, won, given while they are with their Mother have NO tie to you (OP). To place expectations on that money is inappropriate and only causes lots of drama and puts the kids in a very awkward predicament. They already feel they have to hide $ from both you AND from their Mother. (You said that DSS had to hide it from his mother when he brings $ to your house for swims and then that he has to hide it from you or you will confiscate it "for Disney"). You need to get this through your head, deal with it and understand it: You ONLY control the $ they earn, win are given while at YOUR house, and even then control is such an awful word--really you can only GUIDE how they save or spend even those $. That is how you teach children financial responsibility. You guide them and you let them make bad decisions while the consequences are smaller so that they will learn. The hard part comes in not rescuing them from their mistake. Canceling a family trip over $5 and icecream was never about teaching them financial responsibility. There was clearly much much more drama going on surrounding that trip to begin with. I know this sounds snarky but is it possible that the one who really needs to learn financial responsibility is you or DH? Perhaps canceling the trip was a sound financial decision for you and DH and you thought that making a drama over ice-cream would "teach" the children something? Not good.
Just to reinforce what I am hoping you will take to heart....Even if they got a substantial inheritance from their Mother's side that money is not and never should be mingled with your family vacations, assets, cars (when DSS gets older) etc. That money would be for their MOTHER or the executor to help them manage and spend as appropriate. It seems to me that you heard about the $300 your DSS won while with his Mother and you have been trying to insert yourself in how he spends or saves that money to the point of holding a family trip hostage. If you really want to "fix" your problem you need to fix your attitude with regard to money their Mother is responsible for.
One last point. It is a huge red flag for you to say that the daughter tells you things she does not tell her Mother. I am sure you were just trying to convey that you have a good relationship with your step-daughter but to an outsider it seems like you are trying to compete with her Mother, which can not be a good situation for the kids.

So you don't give them allowance, yet you want them to save the allowance they earn at the other parents house to use on your trip?And you expect and 8yr old to understand this? I am 41 and I don't understand this.

You know I by no means read ALL of these posts BUT I just wanted to say that I commend you for trying to teach the kids to "save" and be aware of what things might cost at Disney.

HOWEVER...... the trip is a year away...that is to far away for children of that age(normally) to want/be capable of "seeing the reward for their control".
We start making our children save their money about 4-6 months out! We just returned from a week, each child had saved a certain amount of money (except the 3 yr old) one of our children (6 yr old) had saved more money than the other (almost 10)....and guess what happened. The 10 yr old was like....."guess I should have saved more of my money.....then I would be able to spend more".....best lesson we could have every taught him ourselves by talking ourselves to death with trying to reason with them.

Jennifer

And really you cant control the money that is at their mom's.

Seems to work out well for us. My kids are truly blessed to have so much (not that we have lots of money, but we have doting grandparents), and I worry about them becoming, I don't know, unappreciative I guess. I want them to realize how blessed they are and be thankful for it. This way, when they have to use their own money for some of the things they want to do, they tend to think more carefully about how badly they want whatever it is.

That's sort of where we are. Glad to know someone is similar in position to us.

Leajess99...
Thanks for the idea. It's hard to know how much the girls put in exactly because sometimes they do it on their own and sometimes my husband adds a little. But, we are going to be giving them spending money out of the money we're saving.

I'm not going to separate out what they are "contributing" for now because the girls are really enamored with watching the big total grow. Also, when they get their allowance, they divy it up ... they already have their own "savings" and their own "charity fund". So, with three things already ... spending, saving & charity ... the Disney fund is an extra thing. Don't want to add any more so that their thinking and planning about their money becomes a burden and stops being fun for them.

Just trying to instill some healthy habits AND a concept that mom & dad can't always just do everything for them. I think they are finally old enough to understand the lemon shake up at the fair or the ice cream treat after dinner all "cost" something.

THANKS for the feedback!

Why not open them a savings account at the bank and have them put money in there to keep safe for WDW?...

I agree with this! We opened up DD a savings account and she deposited some of her birthday money to save for Disney. She's also going to save a portion of her allowance..... We plan on giving her SOME spending money when she gets to Disney but she will be using her own money to buy those $40 Disney T-Shirts from Tren-D (in DTD). I hope everything works out for you and your family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter